• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masterpieces=Waste of Space

Firebert

Smash Ace
I'm sure that this has been said many times before, but I feel that the Masterpieces was a very unnecessary component of Brawl. The time limits are all too short, and it is just not worth playing games for less than a minute. What are your opinions on it?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It hardly takes up any space. And looking at all those games gives me a gamergasm...although no EarthBound for the non-Japanese version makes me scratch my head, and want to beat whoever left that out of the American version upside the head with a LANDMASTER!

Firebert

Smash Ace
It hardly takes up any space. And looking at all those games gives me a gamergasm...although no EarthBound for the non-Japanese version makes me scratch my head, and want to beat whoever left that out of the American version upside the head with a LANDMASTER!
I didn't mean to imply that it took up a lot of space, just that it was useless. And they should have added EarthBound.

D00D64

Smash Cadet
It had Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus. The rest were just for show. Seriously, not too many people played 'em. Also, Earthbound demo = Good, US NO GET = Bad.

Eten

Smash Ace
It's just part of the greater conspiracy to deprive America of GOOD RPG's (and on nintendo console too) by reducing the knowledge or even memory that there was one such one, and even a sequel that they never released in America. This way they can continue to spoonfeed the USA crappy JRPGs for money.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
while we're at it, stickers are a waste too. Trophies will always be near and dear to my heart though.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I actually don't mind the stickers, even though I am simply collecting them just like trophies.

I agree that Masterpieces are pretty useless, but I happen to know quite a few people who got into gaming recently enough that they haven't played ANY of the games on there... so those poor deprived souls at least get a taste of some of the great games of the past (and some not so great *cough*Iceclimbers*cough*)

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Yeah, they might be useless...for SOME people. It's not all about new games, it's ones that you remember and others who are curious about what made these old games so popular. There's still a good portion who were too young at the time to own a NES, and I think it's a neat idea to include them just for those people. Nobody forces anyone to play them, but those who want can have a try at them, without having to use emulators or such things. I don't know about you, but I missed out on a few old timers and I'd like to play them again, but not in the "play it on your computer" way because it doesn't do a good game justice.

What I want to say, some of us like the idea. Same with stickers, some actually want to collect them or even use them in SSE.

And about in-game advertising, is it really that bad? I mean, it doesn't harm anyone, it doesn't get in the way like pop-ups do on the internet, and it's not flashy. Besides, it's not like it really pushes you to buy the VC games, Brawl just gives you a taste of them and it's up to you to decide. Nowhere does it say: Buy it! So I wouldn't take this all too much to heart.

Oh and this is all IMO ^^ I would be glad to discuss this with you. Nothing in Brawl is useless, it all serves a purpose.

VacantLight

Smash Rookie
I like them but also hatem. If they wasted there time to put them in there they coulda spent that time adding something extra that most people would have wanted more. Plus it woulda been nicer if at least you can make One a full game. Instead of only playing a couple of min/sec of it where you cant really get into one you liked. But I really dont mind them in there just think they shoulda spent that time for adding something a little better.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I like them but also hatem. If they wasted there time to put them in there they coulda spent that time adding something extra that most people would have wanted more. Plus it woulda been nicer if at least you can make One a full game. Instead of only playing a couple of min/sec of it where you cant really get into one you liked. But I really dont mind them in there just think they shoulda spent that time for adding something a little better.
Well, I don't think it took away time for making other things, especially not new features or characters because they would have been made in the first half of the developing time. Stickers don't take anything away either, it's just already made artwork of the specific games. So the developers didn't really ditch anything for the Masterpieces.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Masterpieces are useless. I tried playing some of them just because they were there, but they were all too short so I stopped bothering.

The only reason I can tolerate them is because only 2 seconds were probably involved in putting them on the disc. And the disc is dual-layered, it had plenty of space. Not to mention, this game is a huge advertisement of Nintendo's history. They make sense being there, they're just useless.

Alsark

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't mind them if they let you play a full level of a game... but having a time limit makes things feel rushed and so short that it's pointless.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I actually like them because the masterpieces allow me to play these old games that I've actually never played before. And since I wouldn't spend that much time on these games anyway, its ok that the time limit for them were so short.

But one question though, did they put pokemon? I wouldn't know cause I haven't unlocked everything yet, and they should put it in. Pokemon was AWESOME.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Agreed. Both masterpieces and the video game list are both useless. I doubt they take up much space but I would of rather had another feature (character) over them.

Firebert

Smash Ace
Who let you into the forums, MP's are great, ,they give us a little taste of the games from a simpiler time.
Anyone who does not respect the Classics, is no friend of mine.
Don't get me wrong, I love these games. It's just the extremely short time limit that makes me never use them. Seriously, when I tried Ice Climbers, I got nowhere before the demo ended. Same with Donkey Kong.
The Classics themselves are awesome, but to enjoy them, you must get them on VC, which is being heavily advertised (obviously) by this.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Masterpieces are useless. If they want game advertising, Nintendo should just give out demo discs.

Liger0192

Smash Rookie
It's so stupid that there even on there, 30 seconds is not enough time to play a game.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Truthfully they are nothing but gimmicks. They're only in there for advertisement, and they fail at that even... with the short time limits nobody can actually get a true feeling for the game and want to buy it.

Also the lack of EarthBound and Fire Emblem makes me mad. >_>

Firebert

Smash Ace
Truthfully they are nothing but gimmicks. They're only in there for advertisement, and they fail at that even... with the short time limits nobody can actually get a true feeling for the game and want to buy it.

Also the lack of EarthBound and Fire Emblem makes me mad. >_>
Same here. I really wanted to try EarthBound and especially Fire Emblem, as I love strategy games.

Xavio Tomatketchup

Smash Rookie
Well, they probably didn't release Earthbound in the US because that would show another sign of that Nintendo hates Europe because Earthbound never even came to Europe.

Or probably or probably... That's just what I think. Nintendo hates Europe after all.

Killer-Spades

Smash Rookie
I think its a good way to jumpstart or introduce people who never heard of the character/game but on the other hand they coulda just made a extra quick compilation of all the old gems that made the nintendo characters famous and known into one video

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I think they are a waste of space as well, but I finally got to play 3 min of Star Fox 64. I only play the one for the SNES. Other than that, I own all the other games on the original systems.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Nice times andrewg..

About the Masterpieces though, and this is just a suggestion (considering how it's already out), but it would have been better if the times were in hours instead of minutes, and they gave you the entire game, but only for that amount of time. After that, it would be locked/unplayable unless you downloaded it from the Virtual Console.

I guess that WOULD be considered "in-game advertising," and being able to replay the beginning anytime is nice, but I agree, the times are just too short for some of them

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
They are useless. Have you noticed that alot of the 'masterpieces' are being sold on the shop online channel?

Anyone know if Earthbound is out for the US shop channel? That would explain its absence if it wasn't listed.

I mean c'mon though, I would rather have a new stage than masterpieces. Although they probably stuck them on at the last minute. They are taking up disk space right? They aren't stored on the wii's hard drive like the downloaded games

Firebert

Smash Ace
They are useless. Have you noticed that alot of the 'masterpieces' are being sold on the shop online channel?

Anyone know if Earthbound is out for the US shop channel? That would explain its absence if it wasn't listed.

I mean c'mon though, I would rather have a new stage than masterpieces. Although they probably stuck them on at the last minute. They are taking up disk space right? They aren't stored on the wii's hard drive like the downloaded games
Yes, that's right. (but I think it's in my other pants pocket)
But no, EarthBound is not yet on the VC for sale... in America.

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
What's with this "Wasted their time" argument? (Space, okay, that could be viable were it argued well...)

They didn't make these games, they were already made, obviously! All they had to do was shade in some boxes, which were probably taken from a ready-made template anyways.
In any case, I do believe that Masterpieces certainly have their place in the Brawl realm; especially when you consider the purpose of SSBB.
The whole **** game is an advertisement! Have you read Saki Amamiya's trophy description? It's pretty much just the back of the box. Have you seen the way they made Meta-Ridley look absolutely awesome? Doesn't that make you want to pick up Corruption, even just a little bit?
As shameless as it may be, the disc for Brawl is double-layered in many ways - The obvious, but also the purpose. Yes, it's a spectacular fighting game, but it also serves as a veritable encyclopedia for all things Nintendo; so much so that I've gone into Chronicles just to find out when the first Tetris came out (1989, would'ja believe it?). Masterpieces are playable chronicles, and absolute nostalgia too.

And about the time period, if they'd made Kid Icarus any longer than five minutes, I would be on the horn with Nintendo right now, haggling for the points I spent back. Nintendo fans are loyal, but vengeful they can be! Think back to Delay Day 02 (The Lost Update) - Remember the rage?

In any case, I fully endorse Masterpieces - Though I would've liked to see Earthbound just as well. Perhaps it was a matter of licensing? That tends to be a prevalent irk in the cross-over world, and is likely a more accurate source to blame than Masahiro himself.

Frankly speaking, the complainers are probably the people who've never actually gone into the Masterpieces and had a real go with 'em. Fire up F-Zero, thirty seconds is all you need to RAWWWK!
And if even after that, you still don't like them, then I have to ask... Why did you even stray from the Brawl menu anyways? That's where you want to be, so stay there!

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy the Masterpieces. Before Masterpieces, I never got a chance to play what was considered Nintendo's best game before Brawl--Ocarina of Time. No Super Mario 64, EarthBound, and Fire Emblem makes me mad, though. :(

F-Zero was much better than I thought, though.

EB08

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
I personally liked the Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and Super Metroid because I had never played them before, and I haven't even touched two of those franchises (the formers). It's good to have that in there as a teaser for virtual console titles, and I think they could be well implemented as demos on the Wii Shop Channel, but the time constraints are overly short. I'm happy that they had those rather than nothing at all.

Top Bottom