• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 26 Results - 44 entrants - June 4th, Framingham MA

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Wow. I'm amazed at how many people came out just for amateurs! So glad it went over well. I have no voice at all right now. Someone buy me a megaphone or something.
We have TWO recording set ups. Lot of bracket matches got recorded! Thanks to Diesel and ProSkater.
Expect to see them on the MeleeATLNorth Youtube channel.

Shoutouts to the most hyped Grand Finals at any Mass Madness. Moto vs WeaponX had half the venue jumpin.

Doubles:

1: George Foreman's Grill (Nuro + KoreanDJ) ($66.00)
2: Team Sexy Ladies (KevinM + Pine) ($36.00)
3: I was pressing Up-B but it wasn't doing anything (Ken Y + MattDotZeb) ($18.00)
4: Joey is gay (Zoso + HaileyM)
5: The Math Team (Sai + WeaponX)
5: Whats our Team Name (Yong + Sora)
7: Bedtime Magic (JDog + Blanky)
7: Tri-Space (Shadowball + Life)
9: Mega Diaper Babies (Proskater + Axel Slam)
9: We don't have one (Panzy + Moto)
9: Aiight (Ryu Cloud + Terranoia)
9: Doctor Burns (Lemon + Burn)
13: Blueberry (Egg$ + Mic$)
13: Late ******s (Diesel + Mafia)
13: Pokefloats (DCLXVI + Nebo)
13: Team Seven (Ash + Ash2)

Mafia and Diesel arrived late and were DQ'd. They were treated as a Bye for those who had to play them.

Singles

Pro bracket:
1: KoreanDJ ($210)
2: KevinM ($96)
3: Nuro ($61)
4: Mafia ($35)
5: Skills Nasty ($17)
5: Kyu Puff ($17)
7: Ken Y
7: Pine
9: Andy
9: Sai
9: Ryu Cloud
9: MattDotZeb
13: Hero
13: Diesel
13: Tom
13: Foxlisk
17: Spife
17: Panzy

Amateur bracket:
1: WeaponX ($60)
2: Moto ($30)
3: JDog ($10)
4: YO WHO PICKED (Almo)
5: Pimpfish
5: Sora
7: Proskater
7: Zao
9: Nabo
9: Ish
9: Ash
9: Yong
13: QTip
13: Life
13: DCLXVI
13: Shadowball
17: Terranoia
17: Lemon
17: Joob
17: Hotdogturtle
17: Egg$
17: BTCH
17: HaileyM
17: Improbable
25: Blanky
25: Kirch
25: Burn
25: LuckyD
25: Greg D

Ish, QTip, and LuckyD were each allowed to buy their way into Amateurs for $5 and their names will not be among the pool results.
Blanky and Burn forfeited their matches.

Pools (Everyone who placed 4th got a bye in the Amateur bracket)

Pool1

1. KevinM 7-0 (14-0)
2. Foxlisk 5-2 (11-4)
3. Spife 5-2 (10-4)
4. WeaponX 5-2 (10-5)
5. Shadowball 3-4 (6-8)
6. Sora 2-5 (5-10)
7. DCLXVI 1-6 (2-12)
8. Burn 0-7 (0-14)

Pool2
1. KoreanDJ 6-0 (12-0)
2. Andy 5-1 (10-3)
3. Skills Nasty 3-3 (8-6)
4. ProSkater 3-3 (6-7)
5. Pimpfish 3-3 (6-8)
6. Zao 1-5 (3-10)
7. Ash 0-6 (0-12)

Pool3

1. Nuro 6-0 (12-1)
2. Diesel 5-1 (10-3)
3. Ken Y 3-3 (8-6)
4. Almo 3-3 (6-7)
5. HaileyM 2-4 (5-8)
6. Moto 2-4 (4-8)
7. Greg D 0-6 (0-12)

Pool4
1. Kyu Puff 7-0 (14-0)
2. Pine 6-1 (12-2)
3. Tom 5-2 (10-6)
4. Life 4-3 (9-7)
5. Blanky 3-4 (6-8)
6. Lemon 2-5 (5-10)
7. HotDogTurtle 1-6 (3-12)
8. Joob 0-7 (0-14)

Pool5
1. Sai 6-0 (12-1)
2. Mafia 5-1 (10-3)
3. Ryu Cloud 4-2 (9-4)
4. Improbable 2-4 (6-8)
5. Nabo 2-4 (4-8)
6. Btch 1-5 (3-11)
7. Kirch 1-5 (2-11)

Pool6
1. Hero 6-0 (12-0)
2. MattDotZeb 5-1 (10-4)
3. Panzy 3-3 (8-8)
4. JDog 3-3 (7-6)
5. Terranoia 2-4 (5-8)
6. Yong 1-5 (3-11)
7. Egg$ 1-5 (2-10)

And congrats to Pimpfish for winning a last-minute raffle for a Mass Madness bracelet made by HaileyM.

panzy

Smash Rookie
epic tournament. was nice seeing old faces and meeting new people =) ima try to go to more tournies from now on

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I liked the amateur bracket even though I didn't get any farther than I usually do in regular brackets. But at least I got to play pools matches and bracket matches.

Zao, you still owe me a dollar.

Tom, very fun friendly matches. I definitely started getting more confident after playing you for a while, because I was doing way better than I did in our pools set. I appreciate your helpful tips too.

It's too bad that my worst set of the day was the one that got recorded >_>

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
Man I had a terrible time. Sorry if I was being a downer. I was playing so bad all day. After pools i withdrew from the amateur bracket because I just didn't want to play anymore lol. Never felt so weird.
Bleh. I hope there's another tourney soon dude. I reallyyy don't want this to be the last impression I leave on people this summer!

:phone:

Almo

Smash Ace
this was a lot of fun, looking forward to more melee tournaments in my area :)

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
This was a great tourney! My friends and I had a lot of fun and all of us really improved from the last MM.
Lost o' fun, can't wait for the next one!!!!!

Nice job Sora and JDOG in amateurs!

Mitch434poj

Smash Rookie
Arrogance

I find it very difficult to come to Mass Madness and actually enjoy myself when I have to deal with arrogant pricks such as KevinM, Mafia and Pine. They are destructive and critical of every match and person they encounter and make fun at the expense of every person they meet. They think that somehow their pitiful skills in a video game (oh yeah, remember it is a game?) make them a superior subject to me and the rest of us who don't spend godless hours that plague their lives. Quite a shame that my day, my $15, and my fun were all put at stake because these arrogant pricks who did not even come in first (or did not even place in Pine's situation) decided that their underage egos are more important than a friendly get together of people all interested in a game.

crush

Smash Master
I find it very difficult to come to Mass Madness and actually enjoy myself when I have to deal with arrogant pricks such as KevinM, Mafia and Pine. They are destructive and critical of every match and person they encounter and make fun at the expense of every person they meet. They think that somehow their pitiful skills in a video game (oh yeah, remember it is a game?) make them a superior subject to me and the rest of us who don't spend godless hours that plague their lives. Quite a shame that my day, my $15, and my fun were all put at stake because these arrogant pricks who did not even come in first (or did not even place in Pine's situation) decided that their underage egos are more important than a friendly get together of people all interested in a game.
wow nice vocab

Stop being so sad, sad kid. You don't really know what you're talking about. Kevin and Maf and Pine are chill as ****. If you got the wrong end of that view, it's most likely your fault :\

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity what makes you think that about them? Use examples.

Please do try to remember this is a competition. I've been in the Melee scene since 2005 - Hearing someone who attended one of my events say that other competitors have "pitiful skills" and that they must "spend godless hours that plague their lives" playing this game (although the comment was only targeted at a select few) is insulting to more than just those who it was directed to.

Prawn

Smash Master
lol

lolol

Mitch434poj

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity what makes you think that about them? Use examples.

Please do try to remember this is a competition. I've been in the Melee scene since 2005 - Hearing someone who attended one of my events say that other competitors have "pitiful skills" and that they must "spend godless hours that plague their lives" playing this game (although the comment was only targeted at a select few) is insulting to more than just those who it was directed to.
Well, Matt, I quite respect you. You play, you enjoy it, you do well, yet you are not arrogant and demeaning to every person you play, regardless of their level. These other people so nonchalantly blow off the prospect of playing with someone who is lesser than them. For example, they (KevinM and Pine) were playing a team match and faced a team of lesser skill. And as I watched they simply laughed and talked about things they (the other team) were doing wrong and how the characters they were using sucked. They were not at all serious about the match or their competitors. So, while I understand that this IS a competition, good sportsmanship is the key to any good competition. Do you disagree?

I regretfully and slightly apologize for directing more than those who were said, but it is not so much those who spend time playing (as I do myself), rather those who arrogantly demean the other players that they play.

Must go now, will respond later today.

Prawn

Smash Master
to be clear i attacked him over a post like that because hes clearly not seeing the truth of the scene

its a COMPETITIVE scene, if they're making fun of your character selection/play then go ahead and learn from it, or dont, but if you choose not to, then stop complaining OR dont come to competitive events just play with all items on 4 player FFA everyone choose roy

edit: also stop being so sensitive, if you cant take KevinM or Mafia making fun of you then your gonna have a rough life ahead lol

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Well, Matt, I quite respect you. You play, you enjoy it, you do well, yet you are not arrogant and demeaning to every person you play, regardless of their level. These other people so nonchalantly blow off the prospect of playing with someone who is lesser than them. For example, they (KevinM and Pine) were playing a team match and faced a team of lesser skill. And as I watched they simply laughed and talked about things they (the other team) were doing wrong and how the characters they were using sucked. They were not at all serious about the match or their competitors. So, while I understand that this IS a competition, good sportsmanship is the key to any good competition. Do you disagree?

I regretfully and slightly apologize for directing more than those who were said, but it is not so much those who spend time playing (as I do myself), rather those who arrogantly demean the other players that they play.

I agree, but the chances are that Pine and Kevin knew the people they were playing against. I would not expect either of them to act that way to somebody they do not know.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just curious, what did you enter as?

I do see elitism as a problem in this community. Many times have I seen high level players brushing off lesser players because they don't want to "waste" their time playing or going all out on a perceived newbie.

The trashtalk you talked about sounds pretty horrible, but I feel the malice you described is out of character of players like Pine and KevinM. Most likely they were joking around and they knew the other team.

At the same time I feel we should all watch out about the image we give off. Melee is still growing, and this was a pretty large tournament, even though a lot of old players didn't go. As a community, we should be working to bring in new players instead of alienating them. If this is the impression we're giving off the newer players, then we should work to change that instead of telling them to chill out.

crush

Smash Master
its a COMPETITIVE scene, if they're making fun of your character selection/play then go ahead and learn from it, or dont, but if you choose not to, then stop complaining OR dont come to competitive events just play with all items on 4 player FFA everyone choose roy
Don't make fun of my main roy

Diesel

Smash Journeyman

What you've got to understand about this community is that we're all good friends and friendly ribbing is sure to ensue. KevinM is one of the chillest people I know in the Melee scene. Not so long ago when I was even worse than I am now, he befriended me as if I'd been there since old times. Mafia's arrogant in tournament sets because it helps him to overcome a perceived threat. "If I'm the best, how can I lose?" sorta thing. In friendlies, he's just interested in giving people tips.

I can understand why you might think Mafia's arrogant without getting to know him, but KevinM and Pine? Can't really grasp that.

And yeah, who did you enter as?

Diesel

Smash Journeyman
Also, this tournament was tons of fun. I ***** EVERYBODY! Not really, but I was playing pretty good.

I'll try to have the footage up this week, but I've got some tests and stuff to study for (summer semester). I'll keep y'all posted!

Pine

Smash Ace
if you are talking about the set against the yoshi whoever team. i was literally being wrecked by that yoshi and i was laughing about it cuz i couldnt handle him. on another note i always try to keep myself light hearted in tournys because i get nervous as **** over the stupidest ****. i am sorry but i have a sense of humor. being loud obnoxious and silly is my personality and just because you arnt likeme does not make me a terrible person. I dont even try to make people feel bad and if i am just punch me in the face or something. we are all there to have a good time so whatevs

Pine

Smash Ace
to lazy to edit

also everyone knows my total arrogancy < thats a word. is a total joke. my sig says play more like pine and normally i end posts with saying that. i am not good i used to play better but i am terrible now. who cares i go to have fun and see old friends. i even jab at KDJ when i am playing him so dont take it personally

crush

Smash Master
if you are talking about the set against the yoshi whoever team. i was literally being wrecked by that yoshi and i was laughing about it cuz i couldnt handle him. on another note i always try to keep myself light hearted in tournys because i get nervous as **** over the stupidest ****. i am sorry but i have a sense of humor. being loud obnoxious and silly is my personality and just because you arnt likeme does not make me a terrible person. I dont even try to make people feel bad and if i am just punch me in the face or something. we are all there to have a good time so whatevs
Agree as well

Almo

Smash Ace

I've seen this before, as i've been to melee tournaments in the past, and have been active in the Brawl community for a few years now.

However, everyone that i played was exceptionally nice. Nuro was very friendly, and offered advice after our set, i money matched KoreanDJ just for advice, and was very pleased that he had extensive advice after he 4 stocked me twice. Ken Y was also really welcoming to me and we talked for a while, and he wished me good luck in the amateur bracket. The only sort of trash talking i experienced was during my pool matches with Diesel, but his combos were pretty beastly, which made it hype, and i knew Mafia before this tournament, so i just said "shut up" and finished the match. Nothing serious, i know no feelings were hurt on either end.

If it is the case that people are just taking matches not too seriously and making it blatantly obvious, chances are what Matt said is right, they probably knew the players.

I've seen my fair share of elitism, and this tournament didn't have too much of it, at least from my perspective. My advice is to give it another shot, give these players another shot, and if you see it happen again, just point it out at the tournament. I'm almost sure Matt wants to host the best possible tournament, and if he feels like it's polluting the tournament "atmosphere" which ultimately drives newer players away, he probably wouldn't hesitate to remedy the situation.

Give it a second chance and see how you feel.

Top Bottom