• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Bomberman is probably the only third party character I'm really pulling for in this game. While there are others I wouldn't have a problem with, Bomberman is the only one I really want. So, I'll be keeping tabs with this thread as well!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Super may had been a meh game, but it's still proof that Bomberman is still cared about and a good addition for Smash.

I'm not saying he is a shoo-in, but he's pretty close for a third party.

D

Deleted member

A brand new Smash Bros. game was just announced and, this time around, we have more of a chance here.
Bomberman got a new game on the Switch's launch and he can get in along with another Konami character. Now is the best time to really push for him to get in.

While I am iffy on the third party situation as a whole (I only expect Sonic and Mega Man; iffy on the rest), I am confident that we could get Bomberman in the game.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm putting together a little something Smash related. Here's the Bomberman I drew for it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm putting together a little something Smash related. Here's the Bomberman I drew for it.
Idk how it is on anyone else's end, but on mine, the link is broken and I can't see the artwork until I reply.

That said, now that I see it, I like it. Really digging your artstyle, man.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Idk how it is on anyone else's end, but on mine, the link is broken and I can't see the artwork until I reply.

That said, now that I see it, I like it. Really digging your artstyle, man.
Thanks. Same problem on my end, and Smashboards is loading extremely slow. I think it's having a stroke.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Thanks. Same problem on my end, and Smashboards is loading extremely slow. I think it's having a stroke.
Yeah, it's driving me nuts. Probably something to do with all the new site traffic.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
D

Deleted member

So seeing as Bomberman is still selling really well, was a strong launch title for the Switch, and there being a new Smash... Really hope Bomberman finally gets a shot. Reunite with Wario.
I suspect Wario is in the silhouette.

Watch as this foreshadows a trailer where Wario goes KABOOM! and then Bomberman shows up, lighting up anger from him. A Wario vs. Bomberman match is a fight just waiting to happen.
A brand new Smash Bros. game was just announced and, this time around, we have more of a chance here.
Bomberman got a new game on the Switch's launch and he can get in along with another Konami character. Now is the best time to really push for him to get in.

While I am iffy on the third party situation as a whole (I only expect Sonic and Mega Man; iffy on the rest), I am confident that we could get Bomberman in the game.
We should figure out how to raise support. I'm sure there's a lot of people who want him in but aren't aware that somehow, he has a legitimate shot. Expectations typically goes hand in hand with popularity and if we can argue why Bomberman is plausible, people who want him in Smash will raise support and even convince people why he would be fun to play. We have the potential for a large fan base that's enough to bring to Sakurai's attention, we just need a plan. I know this is "forum advocacy" and not exactly looked upon well but who's to say we can't also explore other social media and even bring up the conversation to a friend in real life?

Don't give up if he's not in the base roster. There's still the possibility of DLC to consider. Plus if Bomberman does have a future, it's only going to make people more hopeful for him.
Bad news, Super Bomberman R won't be a console exclusive anymore.

Must be Konami wanting to make extra money now that support with the Switch is done.
This isn't bad news because people get too hanged up on Nintendo history being a factor when as long as you've appeared once on a Nintendo console, you're good for consideration. The amount of appearances he has is countless.

If anything, this is good because it shows Konami believes that because Super Bomberman R was a success that the franchise can reach a wider audience. Besides, it only raises hope for a new game.

D

Deleted member

We should figure out how to raise support. I'm sure there's a lot of people who want him in but aren't aware that somehow, he has a legitimate shot. Expectations typically goes hand in hand with popularity and if we can argue why Bomberman is plausible, people who want him in Smash will raise support and even convince people why he would be fun to play. We have the potential for a large fan base that's enough to bring to Sakurai's attention, we just need a plan. I know this is "forum advocacy" and not exactly looked upon well but who's to say we can't also explore other social media and even bring up the conversation to a friend in real life?

Don't give up if he's not in the base roster. There's still the possibility of DLC to consider. Plus if Bomberman does have a future, it's only going to make people more hopeful for him.
You're completely right.
I feel like support for Bomberman was rather low during the 4 period because of how low the expectations were for him; his company was merged into Konami, he had no new games for years, and people thought he couldn't get in with Snake. Now that he has a new game and two cases where two third party companies were represented with two characters, I say his chances have improved.
We need a plan that would inspire confidence in Bomberman supporters that he does have a chance and have new supporters join us with his gameplay style. The biggest obstacle I say is Konami with their recent practices... I know a lot of people would hate it if a Konami character got in after the whole fiasco with Kojima and Metal Gear.

We'll need to spread the word on social media platforms. We could make some Facebook accounts and Twitter accounts for Bomberman supporters to join and follow. I would rather leave the Facebook account to someone else, as I am unfamiliar with the platform.

Bad news, Super Bomberman R won't be a console exclusive anymore.

Must be Konami wanting to make extra money now that support with the Switch is done.
I don't mind it. At least Bomberman is getting more awareness.
I am surprised the game is going on other platforms though... I thought it was Nintendo who approached Konami to make the game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I am surprised the game is going on other platforms though... I thought it was Nintendo who approached Konami to make the game.
Maybe it's timed exclusivity? I could have sworn that the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy had something similar.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm actually fairly confident in his chances to make it in, though a part of me says that's entirely bias since we're talking about something in the hands of Konami and lord knows how they refuse to make good decisions.

Personally I'd love it, he'd be a quiontessential trap character and I love to play those. His moveset in Super Smash Flash was pretty good, and he was even one of my 2 submissions for the Ballot.

D

Deleted member

You're completely right.
I feel like support for Bomberman was rather low during the 4 period because of how low the expectations were for him; his company was merged into Konami, he had no new games for years, and people thought he couldn't get in with Snake. Now that he has a new game and two cases where two third party companies were represented with two characters, I say his chances have improved.
We need a plan that would inspire confidence in Bomberman supporters that he does have a chance and have new supporters join us with his gameplay style. The biggest obstacle I say is Konami with their recent practices... I know a lot of people would hate it if a Konami character got in after the whole fiasco with Kojima and Metal Gear.

We'll need to spread the word on social media platforms. We could make some Facebook accounts and Twitter accounts for Bomberman supporters to join and follow. I would rather leave the Facebook account to someone else, as I am unfamiliar with the platform.

Absolutely.

Right now, the way we've structured our support for Bomberman have been for the lack of a better word, substandard. Instead of capitalizing on the new recent, we just passed up the opportunities that the new announcement and release gave us by sitting idly hoping that the pre-Brawl fan base would magically returned and it didn't. But the recent developments that are favorable towards Bomberman are still there and we can still utilize them to our favor, especially if we get DLC (which if it is a new game, will happen because no way they don't take advantage of such a perfect money making method).

But to help sow the seed in hopes of reaping the rewards, we need to figure out what to do in order to convert ourselves into a serious movement and not just scattering of fans hoping that saying "I" will get him in with the ultimate goal being Bomberman in Smash. So let's lay out the basic fundamentals:
  1. We need social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter, YouTube presence if possible, and possibly Instagram
  2. We need to revise the thread as the organization is messy and we need a stronger "Argument" section, especially for the all-too-common Konami argument
  3. We need to utilize our network to foster more supporters, especially to people more in the know
  4. Express support in any way possible even in places like Rate Their Chances where if nothing else, a person can put up a case for why Bomberman should be in and deserves the support of others
  5. Be positive about Bomberman whenever possible as positivity attracts people which negativity does the opposite
  6. Stress game play, move sets, and stage/AT/music representation ideas too for we may want Bomberman but the package of a playable Bomberman comes with more than a pretty icon
  7. Be positive representation of the Smash community as power and respect commands influence
Are there any other basic fundamentals we need to keep an eye out for? Once we can agree to all of them, we can then work on the nitty gritty. I'm ready to get started, especially with experience in Smash 3DS & Wii U speculation teaching me a lot about how it works.
---
They did. The fact that Nintendo and Konami collaborated on this is still a big plus for Bomberman because it indicates an open relationship and easier licensing. I also recall posting speculation before on why I think this may lead to Bomberman getting in.

Edit: Everyone, please keep an eye out for Rate Their Chances on both GameFAQs and Smashboards. I'm not asking to artificially inflate chance ratings but definitely make a case for Bomberman's inclusion and to counter concerns regarding him. Even if you do not think he's likely, arguing why he should get in and why fans should support him regardless can go a long way to fostering support. It's good to be cautious but more important to be hopeful and passionate.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

But to help sow the seed in hopes of reaping the rewards, we need to figure out what to do in order to convert ourselves into a serious movement and not just scattering of fans hoping that saying "I" will get him in with the ultimate goal being Bomberman in Smash. So let's lay out the basic fundamentals:
  1. We need social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter, YouTube presence if possible, and possibly Instagram
  2. We need to revise the thread as the organization is messy and we need a stronger "Argument" section, especially for the all-too-common Konami argument
  3. We need to utilize our network to foster more supporters, especially to people more in the know
  4. Express support in any way possible even in places like Rate Their Chances where if nothing else, a person can put up a case for why Bomberman should be in and deserves the support of others
  5. Be positive about Bomberman whenever possible as positivity attracts people which negativity does the opposite
  6. Stress game play, move sets, and stage/AT/music representation ideas too for we may want Bomberman but the package of a playable Bomberman comes with more than a pretty icon
  7. Be positive representation of the Smash community as power and respect commands influence
Are there any other basic fundamentals we need to keep an eye out for? Once we can agree to all of them, we can then work on the nitty gritty. I'm ready to get started, especially with experience in Smash 3DS & Wii U speculation teaching me a lot about how it works.
I think that is everything important.
I will change the organization of the original post to be more structured, though I would appreciate some feedback to make it more nice. As for social media accounts like Twitter and Facebook, I will leave those into the hands of someone who is active on those websites and will leave links to them in the original post.

Admittedly I have less time on my hands than I did before during the SSB4 days.

D

Deleted member

I think that is everything important.
I will change the organization of the original post to be more structured, though I would appreciate some feedback to make it more nice. As for social media accounts like Twitter and Facebook, I will leave those into the hands of someone who is active on those websites and will leave links to them in the original post.

Admittedly I have less time on my hands than I did before during the SSB4 days.
Fair point, that's what happens when we get older. I've been in charge of one of my club's Facebook page before so I can handle a Bomberman for Smash Twitter and Facebook page. Sadly I don't have video experience so a Bomberman fan who does would have to do that. Someone who is familiar with Instagram, if we deem it a worthwhile effort, would have to do that too.

Anyway, I'll give my thoughts on improvements when I can sit down and details exactly my concerns with it are.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am likely delusional,
But I'd like to believe that Bomberman R was made and well supported with DLC, as an agreeement made to get him into Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Interesting exclusive characters~

Let's get that Master Chief Bomberman as a costume for Smash, I mean he's already in Minecraft. :laugh:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Let's get that Master Chief Bomberman as a costume for Smash, I mean he's already in Minecraft. :laugh:
It's a shame that, if Shovel Knight is any indication, there likely won't be any guest characters added in after the game's release for the Switch version. Link would probably be the obvious pick, but I'd love to see Wario - he has a history with Bomberman, after all.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Man, in the Brawl release-days, I remember all of the contrasting rumors about what the Japanese release had actually entailed. I had been told "Lucario and Bomberman are in the game!"

I thought Bomberman would be AWESOME, especially if he pulled heavily from the N64 titles. It's never been my favorite series, but aside from Banjo and Shovel Knight, he's my third choice for third party newcomer, and honestly I think he and Crash both stand an excellent chance this time around.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
While I’m greatly disappointed by the lack of Nintendo exclusive guest, I am glad that more people get to play this game. It gives me hope on the series continuing onward.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a shame that, if Shovel Knight is any indication, there likely won't be any guest characters added in after the game's release for the Switch version. Link would probably be the obvious pick, but I'd love to see Wario - he has a history with Bomberman, after all.
Yeah seems unlikely, the Switch version doesn't really need the same incentive the others do at this point. I guess the trade-off is getting it over a year earlier, which is fine. Ultimately the Switch version is going to be, by far, the best performing. But it would've been nice to get a crossover, lending Bomberman even more towards his case for Smash.

Though thankfully Super Bomberman R remains a huge boon in and of itself.

Man, in the Brawl release-days, I remember all of the contrasting rumors about what the Japanese release had actually entailed. I had been told "Lucario and Bomberman are in the game!"

I thought Bomberman would be AWESOME, especially if he pulled heavily from the N64 titles. It's never been my favorite series, but aside from Banjo and Shovel Knight, he's my third choice for third party newcomer, and honestly I think he and Crash both stand an excellent chance this time around.
Mhmm I remember the day Brawl leaked in Japan, complete with random claims of Bomberman being locked within. I was refreshing pages pretty frantically for a while. :/

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I am likely delusional,
But I'd like to believe that Bomberman R was made and well supported with DLC, as an agreeement made to get him into Smash.
I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. It's worth noting that the release of the Super Bomberman R PS4/Xbox ports coincide with the start of E3 on June 12th. It's very possible we'll see him announced that same day along with a Switch Exclusive character for R.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Did Nintendo ever get one, I haven't played the game in awhile.

Off topic but I'd be really happy with these dudes in Smash

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Xeno610 I have a few thoughts on your OP because if we want to get more supporters to come on board, we have to capture a potential supporter/dormant suppoter's attention immediately and not assume they'll get "to the good part". We live in a world of short attention span

1. Please be efficient with white space for words and pictures. External white space is the blank area either before or after a string of words (like of like the top or bottom of an essay) while internal white space is spaces in between words/photos/artwork/etc. Unfortunately, your post doesn't appear to plan out the use of white space, making the post hard to read. As an advice, always post a space in between different topics. So if you want to discuss three topics, you'll want two spaces in between paragraphs (and a couple more if you want an introduction or ending).

2. Avoid using the 1st person (I, me, etc) unless you are recalling personal details. When you are making a case for Bomberman's inclusion, things like "I think, I believe, I agree, I disagree" needs to stay out. If you want to establish yourself as an authority on Bomberman, you have to replace all first person thoughts with third-person as people will take a more firm stance seriously.

3. Please don't affirm in the OP that detractors are right. I'm not asking that you have to see Bomberman as inevitable or pretend there aren't valid detractor points. But this isn't Rate Their Chance where you presumably gauge their likelihood using our interpretation of Sakurai's thought process. When you are making a case, you have to prepare to completely and totally refute every argument made against him so that you can make supporters more hopeful. Otherwise, you end up with something like this:

Since Konami is going mobile, Bomberman will face some trouble getting in.
This is something that I can't deny, but it affects nearly all Konami characters. However, the one thing that will save Bomberman is his support.
If Bomberman has enough support then maybe, just maybe, Sakurai will see that Bomberman is a character with an infinite amount of potential.
Now, this is an argument that I honestly cannot counter completely and I have to acknowledge the fact that Konami's issues will affect his chances, but I must stress the importance of spreading the word about him. It will be the thing that will save him.
This is one of the biggest counterpoints made against Bomberman and why people are pessimistic about him. If Konami isn't going to be playing a big role in gaming, why would he get in? You cannot just fall back on "but he's popular!" when the argument isn't about popularity because when you establish the detractors are right, not only do you lose credibility among them, you also keep dormant supporters from rising up to support him because like it or not, many people do not want to waste time on character they perceive as unlikely.

Now that's not to say that you can't understand the thought process behind the detractors; in fact you have to in order to refute their points. But no matter how hard it is to provide a solid counterpoint, you have to do it and doing so will get fans on board. Confidence and solidity trump wishy-washiness. Just look at BKupa666's efforts to get King K. Rool in.

4. Separate sections in spoilers. If I'm concerned about reading move sets fans made about Bomberman, I don't want to have to scroll through thousands of words just to read it. The easier you can make for audiences to read something, the more likely they are to be convinced that not only Bomberman can work in Smash but that they should support him. Readability can make or kill a thread.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Now I need the Master Chief and Ratchet costume. Hey, if we can get them, let's get the alternatives. But Wario costume too please.

...speaking of which a Bomberman trailer with Wario in it would be perfect, especially if Wario gets blown away at the end.
---
Edit: Who's up for a Bomberman Discord? I'd be willing to make one.

D

Deleted member

@Xeno610 I have a few thoughts on your OP because if we want to get more supporters to come on board, we have to capture a potential supporter/dormant suppoter's attention immediately and not assume they'll get "to the good part". We live in a world of short attention span

1. Please be efficient with white space for words and pictures. External white space is the blank area either before or after a string of words (like of like the top or bottom of an essay) while internal white space is spaces in between words/photos/artwork/etc. Unfortunately, your post doesn't appear to plan out the use of white space, making the post hard to read. As an advice, always post a space in between different topics. So if you want to discuss three topics, you'll want two spaces in between paragraphs (and a couple more if you want an introduction or ending).

2. Avoid using the 1st person (I, me, etc) unless you are recalling personal details. When you are making a case for Bomberman's inclusion, things like "I think, I believe, I agree, I disagree" needs to stay out. If you want to establish yourself as an authority on Bomberman, you have to replace all first person thoughts with third-person as people will take a more firm stance seriously.

3. Please don't affirm in the OP that detractors are right. I'm not asking that you have to see Bomberman as inevitable or pretend there aren't valid detractor points. But this isn't Rate Their Chance where you presumably gauge their likelihood using our interpretation of Sakurai's thought process. When you are making a case, you have to prepare to completely and totally refute every argument made against him so that you can make supporters more hopeful. Otherwise, you end up with something like this:

This is one of the biggest counterpoints made against Bomberman and why people are pessimistic about him. If Konami isn't going to be playing a big role in gaming, why would he get in? You cannot just fall back on "but he's popular!" when the argument isn't about popularity because when you establish the detractors are right, not only do you lose credibility among them, you also keep dormant supporters from rising up to support him because like it or not, many people do not want to waste time on character they perceive as unlikely.

Now that's not to say that you can't understand the thought process behind the detractors; in fact you have to in order to refute their points. But no matter how hard it is to provide a solid counterpoint, you have to do it and doing so will get fans on board. Confidence and solidity trump wishy-washiness. Just look at BKupa666's efforts to get King K. Rool in.

4. Separate sections in spoilers. If I'm concerned about reading move sets fans made about Bomberman, I don't want to have to scroll through thousands of words just to read it. The easier you can make for audiences to read something, the more likely they are to be convinced that not only Bomberman can work in Smash but that they should support him. Readability can make or kill a thread.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.Now I need the Master Chief and Ratchet costume. Hey, if we can get them, let's get the alternatives. But Wario costume too please.

...speaking of which a Bomberman trailer with Wario in it would be perfect, especially if Wario gets blown away at the end.
---
Edit: Who's up for a Bomberman Discord? I'd be willing to make one.
I will keep these in mind and revise the original post as soon as I can, though I can't promise it will be done immediately.

---

That being said, I am considering relinquishing the thread to someone else if they are up to the task. I don't think I have the energy to do this.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh, right. Guess I'm a little too quick to jump on the Microsoft hate but seriously, having bought the game on the console it was actually released on, I'm not happy.
I get where you're coming from; I was annoyed when the Xbox version of Shovel Knight got a Battletoads level, the Playstation version got a Kratos boss fight, and the Wii U version got nothing. (there was a co-op mode added through amiibos, but that was made available to all versions later)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just played Bomberman R again.
Seriously, this game feels like it was made with Bomberman as a Smash character in mind. Right down to the eight colorful character options.

D

Deleted member

https://discord.gg/fBDF6Ca

Here's a permanent Discord link for Bomberman for Smash discussion. If you could Xeno610, please put this on the OP.
I will keep these in mind and revise the original post as soon as I can, though I can't promise it will be done immediately.

---

That being said, I am considering relinquishing the thread to someone else if they are up to the task. I don't think I have the energy to do this.
I'd be willing to take over the thread if you are not able to work on revising it. I actually ran the Mega Man for SSB4 thread briefly and got nothing but acclaim for how I handled the thread.

D

Deleted member

Ah, no I am not. This is the first time I have heard of that name.
That makes me wonder if those are bots or not on Discord.

Speaking of which, before you transfer ownership to me, is there anything you want me to keep?

Top Bottom