• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
If Skull Kid becomes a boss, I would be more curious about his boss stage than his fight, because Great Bay wouldn't be fitting at all. Especially if Majora's Wrath is involved in some way.

I personally think that bosses are going to be fought on altered multiplayer stages, like we've seen with Dracula. We already have a small amount of new stages as is, and I doubt Sakurai's team is going to spend time and resources on a bunch of singleplayer-only boss stages. It would be smarter to use existing stages. The only exception is of course Rathalos, because we didn't have a Monster Hunter stage yet.

If I had to predict some bosses using this logic:
- Kraid is fought on Brinstar Depths.
- Twinrova is fought on Gerudo Valley.
- Marx is fought on Fountain of Dreams.
- King Boo is fought on Luigi's Mansion.
- Dr. Eggman is fought on Green Hill Zone.

It's all speculation, but I think Twinrova would make more sense as a boss than Skull Kid.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Smash bosses are usually large so multiple players can hit them more easily, the only way I can see Skull Kid as a boss is if they suddenly change direction in boss design, or he isn't actually the boss himself but Majora ditches him like in the original game and transforms. Most of that leaker's replies imply to me that people find him(or them?) credible, but from what yall are saying he(?) should be ignored :I

also hi I'm new(ish; was around during smash 4 speculation but haven't done anything on here since); Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda (tbh it's hard to choose amongst the ones I've played but I still loved it) and while Skull Kid hadn't occurred to me before, I'd actually be hyped if he got in as a new Zelda rep. that isn't the same person two or three times (plus he's cool).

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Skull Kid is still a bit of a long shot, to be honest.

Zelda is known for having a bunch of great, highly requested characters, but they’re all one-shots. Most other franchises have a clear ‘next choice’ that most of the fanbase will rally behind; Zelda has everyone spread thin. Thus, there’s not much of a fanbase around any specific character. Add to that that people don’t tend to like just any Zelda rep just for being a Zelda rep, and things don’t look too good for any individual character.

The big thing is that Zelda’s not gotten a unique newcomer since Melee, which is something that neither DK, Metroid, nor Kirby can claim. All it got was a low-effort clone replacement - which was also obviously a last minute thing.

In addition, most of the one-offs that some people rally behind end up as assists rather than playables. Midna has been one of the big names, but also Ghirahim and now the Moon. And we’re still waiting to hear about Skull Kid and Tingle. Not to mention the four memorable Champions, who would be lucky to even share an assist.

I just feel that, even if Impa’s the only Zelda newcomer, people will be pretty salty about Zelda and it’s cloniness. At this point, Fire Emblem has more completely unique movesets than Zelda.
Which is a real shame because Zelda is a series with a lot of cool characters like Skull Kid and Midna along with a bunch of cool fantasy races like the Deku, Gorons, Zora's, Rito, and Gerudo. But all we get is three Link's, Zelda, OoT Zelda's alter ego, and a semi clone Ganondorf. Honestly I think Zelda should have as much representation as Pokemon due to how vast and diverse the series is, as of now it feels under represented despite having six characters.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Which is a real shame because Zelda is a series with a lot of cool characters like Skull Kid and Midna along with a bunch of cool fantasy races like the Deku, Gorons, Zora's, Rito, and Gerudo. But all we get is three Link's, Zelda, OoT Zelda's alter ego, and a semi clone Ganondorf. Honestly I think Zelda should have as much representation as Pokemon due to how vast and diverse the series is, as of now it feels under represented despite having six characters.
I know it can be frustrating, even with how much Sakurai does cater to fans Haha Its amazing at the same time. It seems as if Zelda has a stricter policy in Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
What I don’t understand is why would Sakurai make him a boss? Considering how much people have wanted him for years and how this game seems to be fulfilling the fan’s biggest requests. I just don’t see it happening. He is either playable or not in the game at this point.
Didn't we ask that same question for ridley last game? this could be a repeat of that

Smash Apprentice
One worrying thing... while I think it's unlikely that Skull Kid would be a Zelda boss in a potential story mode, who COULD that boss be? The most likely one I could think of is Calamity Ganon (who works rather well and technically isn't the same character as OOT Ganondorf) but say Sakurai decides not to use him for whatever reason (maybe because Calamity Ganon technically does have a relationship with OOT Ganondorf) Other than bat-form Vaati (who is really not relevant anymore) who could they use? I suppose Yuganon from ALBW? Of course, there might not be a Zelda boss at all...

New #1,571
Did you guys already talk about this leak?

I am curious to see if anyone else thinks this looks slightly believable. I imagine if Skull Kid was in the game, he would be looking directly at us in his render. More than likely fake though..
Fake, Duck Hunt's render should have the duck visible in the character select screen square, not just the dog.

UserKev

Smash Champion

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
One worrying thing... while I think it's unlikely that Skull Kid would be a Zelda boss in a potential story mode, who COULD that boss be? The most likely one I could think of is Calamity Ganon (who works rather well and technically isn't the same character as OOT Ganondorf) but say Sakurai decides not to use him for whatever reason (maybe because Calamity Ganon technically does have a relationship with OOT Ganondorf) Other than bat-form Vaati (who is really not relevant anymore) who could they use? I suppose Yuganon from ALBW? Of course, there might not be a Zelda boss at all...
I mean there are tons of bosses in the zelda franchise to chose from. Calamity Ganon seems likely but there are a bunch of bosses even if they aren't final bosses

Did you guys already talk about this leak?

I am curious to see if anyone else thinks this looks slightly believable. I imagine if Skull Kid was in the game, he would be looking directly at us in his render. More than likely fake though..

Source - http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/429880753/super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak

517 KB PNG
Are characters not grouped by series in some builds? I keep seeing "leaks" with the leaked character right next to the random square instead of with their respective franchise

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Are characters not grouped by series in some builds? I keep seeing "leaks" with the leaked character right next to the random square instead of with their respective franchise
On the official Smash Ultimate CSS, characters are sorted by the date they were added to Smash. So if this was true, Skull Kid would have to be next basically.. I hope they have a franchise sort option in the final build of the game. I don't want to see King K. Rool next to the Belmonts......

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The characters are organized by the order they were added to the game. So new characters aren't with their series, they're closer to the end of the screen. The exception is echoes, who share a number with their parent character.

Regarding bosses, I would think we could see Gohma, perhaps. She's been in a ton of games.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned earlier that Twinrova could be the boss, considering there are already 3D models for Koume and Kotake in the game. If there's going to be a story mode, it would make sense for Twinrova and Ganondorf to work together, considering they're his surrogate mothers.
They also wouldn't have to make a new boss stage, because Gerudo Valley already provides a perfect setting.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
These leaked images are pretty much the definition of piggyback hype, but wasn't that the render that was proven ripped due to the hands? This leaker was cheeky by ensuring it's quite blurry, but it looks to be the same.

Last edited:

zmero_

Smash Cadet
In this game I wouldn't be surprised if characters aren't grouped by series like in Smash Wii U, because in the demo they're listed by order of appearance.

But regarding the leak I think the image is fake, I don't have a reason why lol, but I just don't think it's real.

Last edited:

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
In this game I wouldn't be surprised if characters aren't grouped by series like in Smash Wii U, because in the demo they're listed by order of appearance.

But regarding the leak I think the image is fake, I don't have a reason why lol, but I just don't think it's real.
I'm pretty sure that render is just from Hyrule Warriors lol.

The characters are organized by the order they were added to the game. So new characters aren't with their series, they're closer to the end of the screen. The exception is echoes, who share a number with their parent character.

Regarding bosses, I would think we could see Gohma, perhaps. She's been in a ton of games.
Yeah her , king dodongo, volgavia, just to name a few

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
The thought of Skull Kid specifically as a boss feels so erroneous to me. Majora's Wrath? Sure, we can talk about it. But Skull Kid? Nah, too small for Smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
"Skull Kid will be the very first Smash Character to be both a Boss and a Playable Character, so have fun!" -Sakurai, 2018

UserKev

Smash Champion
The thought of Skull Kid specifically as a boss feels so erroneous to me. Majora's Wrath? Sure, we can talk about it. But Skull Kid? Nah, too small for Smash.
Skull Kid as a boss feel like a slap as much as Sakurai does, its still a bigger negative than positive.

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather Skull Kid not appear at all in the base game rather than have him as a boss. That way we could campaign for him to be made as DLC.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
Apparently this has been Loz on discord which someone compiled? (never used the site). His username I've seen people say is Skullkid there.
https://imgtc.com/i/txO0W2w.png
It looks like Loz got text from Direct scripts (which we've known), and doesn't know if the text is playable like the K Rool text he saw, or a boss like the Dracula text he apparently saw. He seemed to know the positioning of K Rool. So maybe due to the positioning of where Skullkid is within the direct, this leads him to believe "80%" playable, but doesn't want to jump the gun on that.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Saw that on gamefaqs

If Skull Kid is getting focus, then I'm sure he's playable. Boss just does not make sense to me. Majora's Wrath I can believe, but not Skull Kid. It could be something else entirely, but even before this blowout, I was adamant Skull Kid made most sense as a fighter (or at the very least return as an assist trophy, but I'm very confident that's not happening now)

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
I'd rather Skull Kid not appear at all in the base game rather than have him as a boss. That way we could campaign for him to be made as DLC.
I've thought this as well. The AT in Smash 4 quieted most of his support for a little bit. Skullkid being in but not playable would only hurt his support in the future, and in a future ballot. Imo if for some reaon he's not playable, then it's better in the long run if he is omitted completely so that the fanbase can go rambo in trying to get him into the next smash as playable.
In reality, it SHOULDN'T effect fan support due to what he ends up being in this game, since rallying for a character is all encompassing and just because a character is an assist in a current game, it doesn't mean they can't be playable in the next. But for some reason or another most people see things in a present/now sense, and find it hard to look towards future possibilities, even if years off.
I'm hoping he is in this game and I believe he will be, based on tons of things pointing his way. But it is also important not to lose the rallying fire if he isn't.

Edited my above post a few times

Saw that on gamefaqs

If Skull Kid is getting focus, then I'm sure he's playable. Boss just does not make sense to me. Majora's Wrath I can believe, but not Skull Kid. It could be something else entirely, but even before this blowout, I was adamant Skull Kid made most sense as a fighter (or at the very least return as an assist trophy, but I'm very confident that's not happening now)
I agree 100%. I feel it's more likely playable rather than boss due to whatever it is that Loz said he saw. There has to be a similar situational reason as to why he thinks Skullkid is playable rather than a boss.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Apparently this has been Loz on discord which someone compiled? (never used the site). His username I've seen people say is Skullkid there.
It looks like Loz got text from Direct scripts (which we've known), and doesn't know if the text is playable like the K Rool text he saw, or a boss like the Dracula text he apparently saw. He seemed to know the positioning of K Rool. So maybe due to the positioning of where Skullkid is within the direct, this leads him to believe "80%" playable, but doesn't want to jump the gun on that.
So, I've had a basic idea/theory that the next Nintendo Direct would be taking place either the middle of this week or middle of next week. So, if I assume that this stuff was said today, that this actually is Loz AND that he's certain on it only being four days, that would put it on the 6th, which is a Thursday. That still does work, as Nintendo loves those mid week directs. So, all in all, I'm feeling mild confidence and certainty that it'll be then. I ain't saying I'm right though, as I could be super wrong, but it's just a theory. Obligatory game theory joke here

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
I'm an admin on the server TC claimed it's from and I can confirm that he's not on there. TC is full of it.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
Please do not post multiple times in a row. Edit your messages instead. :)
I'm an admin on the server TC claimed it's from and I can confirm that he's not on there. TC is full of it.
Could be true, I found someone also say this though?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76960933/907995779

Another from the same gamefaqs user.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76960933/907996188

Another (not saying any of this is wrong or right, just want to get interesting info out for those that aren't able to dig.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76960933/907996899

Another
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76960933/907997809

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
My god I don't know if it's just how the SmashFaqs boards always are, because tbh the Smash 4 board was also pretty bad from what I can remember, but I don't think I've seen a bigger concentration of terrible opinions and people who need therapists before lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question, why would you leak to a Discord?

Is this like one of those indie bands that only make like 4 prints of their songs and start screeching something about artistic integrity if you ask if they'll print any more?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm only getting pieces here, but is this right? LoZ18 leaks on this Discord that Skull Kid is in and Isaac isn't? Is that the takeaway here?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm only getting pieces here, but is this right? LoZ18 leaks on this Discord that Skull Kid is in and Isaac isn't? Is that the takeaway here?
I think that's the gist of it.
Though if you have to leak to a private Discord then I have to question a lot of things.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think that's the gist of it.
Though if you have to leak to a private Discord then I have to question a lot of things.
He's been cagey since saying Skull Kid was in in the first place, so I really don't know what to think. I feel bad for Isaac fans if this is accurate though...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He's been cagey since saying Skull Kid was in in the first place, so I really don't know what to think. I feel bad for Isaac fans if this is accurate though...
Then why not just stop leaking, take up a completely new online ID and carry on as normal?

I can't get into his head. Maybe it's for the best.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My understanding is that a lot of it is his own speculation, especially Isaac. He knows Skull Kid is in, but doesn't have enough information to know for sure, sounds like he's just got a partial script for upcoming Directs

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Then why not just stop leaking, take up a completely new online ID and carry on as normal?

I can't get into his head. Maybe it's for the best.
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe the attention goes to people's heads? Honestly, even if I had some sort of inside information, I can't imagine leaking it to anyone in the first place, much less continuing the...I dunno, ruse? Act? Show? It's bizarre.

I believe LoZ had inside information, but I'm not sure he still does. I guess we'll find out one way or the other though.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
Posted in an earlier comment, but here are the smashburb videos of Loz's chatlog. He unloaded them later in the topic with a screenshot due to being kicked for confirming the screenshot is my guess.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DLcKX...8vRI4FN0UUeFuZ9uR0CnJkSRppxRqSfgmJ6D8t7xIz-vA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3MB...Inyzx34zkXPEEPIRpq15cbG-zR2a0P1Dgl3OaIYRggiyw

My understanding is that a lot of it is his own speculation, especially Isaac. He knows Skull Kid is in, but doesn't have enough information to know for sure, sounds like he's just got a partial script for upcoming Directs
Yeah, it sounds like he doesn't have enough info on Isaac, so he's telling fans not to get their hopes up. But it doesn't necessarily disconfirm him either.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So from what I gather:

- LeakyPandy says he's not playable and is a boss
- Loz18 had a meltdown for some reason?
- Burb got involved in a Discord?

I'm pretty lost.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At this rate, Skull Kid better appear in the next direct, be it as a fighter, a boss, an assist trophy or a regular trophy that uses the WiiU model.

Stop this madness and let us get to the fun Majora kinda madness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom