• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Sure, I would not complain about Impa, she is a recurring character, and would fit well as an echo.

Skull Kid > Impa > Tingle > Anyone else at all in the Zelda series.

So, Impa is basically second of my most wanted Zelda's atm.
I think twili midna as a Zelda echo is likely. She was heavily requested.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If the Zelda franchise gets an echo it'll probably be Impa, but even that is a longshot.

I hope Skull Kid happens at least. Zelda hasn't had a new character in 17 years. Good god.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Midna with Wolf Link would have been a great fighter to represent Twilight Princess, but Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Skull and Impa, plus Midna/Wolf Link... That would be too much, for me anyways. Poor Midna lost her chance, but hopefully we get Skull Kid.
Maybe there's a way around this, give skullkid his MM and TP costume, then he serves as a MM rep and TP rep, they could even give him some moves from TP and MM

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Yeah, Midna on the back of Wolf Link would've bee a great way to represent Twilight Princess... But, I'm less crazy about her and Wolf Link for two reasons, one, she's only been in the one game, and two, that's a fourth Link, hahahaa. I may be a little biased here though, Twilight Princess is one of the lesser 3D Zelda games in my opinion, and what I did love of it, was everything but Midna and the Twilight Realm... so, I'm kinda glad she's an Assist Trophy, sorry.

Tingle is interesting, but we know he's already a stage element for Termina Bay. And I get the feeling that'll be his role this time around. And I'm fine with that, he's a recurring dude in the series, but y'know, so is Skull Kid, and Skull Kid is much more of a major player to Majora's Mask too. I feel he'd have priority over Tingle and Midna.

...But not Impa. Impa is a really big deal in the series. Bigger than Skull Kid, for sure. And she was such a total boss in Skyward Sword too. A simple Echo would even do her justice, honestly. And of course the Zelda series is certainly popular enough to get a newcomer plus an echo. Like, that's even expected at this point, deservedly so.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think twili midna as a Zelda echo is likely. She was heavily requested.
But it is imp Midna who is recognizable and memorable, not the twili one.
Maybe there's a way around this, give skullkid his MM and TP costume, then he serves as a MM rep and TP rep, they could even give him some moves from TP and MM
That could work, but there is no Skull Kid wearing the Majora's Mask in TP, so they would have to come up with a slightly new design. Unless the mask does literally nothing in his moveset, which is unlikely, I think...
Yeah, Midna on the back of Wolf Link would've bee a great way to represent Twilight Princess... But, I'm less crazy about her and Wolf Link for two reasons, one, she's only been in the one game, and two, that's a fourth Link, hahahaa. I may be a little biased here though, Twilight Princess is one of the lesser 3D Zelda games in my opinion, and what I did love of it, was everything but Midna and the Twilight Realm... so, I'm kinda glad she's an Assist Trophy, sorry.
Personally, I love Midna. She is really fun, and I like her (imp) design. I also find TP to be really good, but Midna to me is on the same boat as Ghirahim: Cool peeps, but they don't really need to be playable in Smash.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
But it is imp Midna who is recognizable and memorable, not the twili one.

That could work, but there is no Skull Kid wearing the Majora's Mask in TP, so they would have to come up with a slightly new design. Unless the mask does literally nothing in his moveset, which is unlikely, I think...

Personally, I love Midna. She is really fun, and I like her (imp) design. I also find TP to be really good, but Midna to me is on the same boat as Ghirahim: Cool peeps, but they don't really need to be playable in Smash.
A original design for the mask in TP style would be really cool to see, I was kinda thinking they would just make it invisible, but i guess when you consider the fact that it would probably factor in i guess not, I'm still betting on the fact that one of his alternate colors would in the palette of TP skull kid.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
If Skull Kid is in the game I'm betting his Final Smash is telporting everyone to the Termina clock tower... and then MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

And before you bring up the assist trophy, Rikki is in Shulk's as well as being an assist trophy.
Also I think people are forgetting that there are already two versions of the moon. The assist moon, and the moon on the Termina turtle stage. There doesn't seem to be a rule that there can't be multiple uses of the moon.
Also Majora's Wrath could be used if need be. :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also I think people are forgetting that there are already two versions of the moon. The assist moon, and the moon on the Termina turtle stage. There doesn't seem to be a rule that there can't be multiple uses of the moon.
Also Majora's Wrath could be used if need be. :)
Moon this, moon that.
It's Hyrule Warriors all over again.

Majora's Wrath would also be cool. could see ti working like DK and Little Mac's new FSes except with whipping.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Has anyone tried to gauge clearer info from loz18 at gamefaqs why he thinks Skull Kid is in?

His first post was, "2 newcomers, one of them heavily implied to be Skull Kid." Then he made another post yesterday saying, "I love the character of Skull Kid and the lore and I would love for this to be true."

It sounds like he doesn't directly confirm it but sounds like he has a good feeling about it. I wonder what his source told him, maybe gave him a hint that Zelda was getting a new rep and he's a villain from a recently released game?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Has anyone tried to gauge clearer info from loz18 at gamefaqs why he thinks Skull Kid is in?

His first post was, "2 newcomers, one of them heavily implied to be Skull Kid." Then he made another post yesterday saying, "I love the character of Skull Kid and the lore and I would love for this to be true."

It sounds like he doesn't directly confirm it but sounds like he has a good feeling about it. I wonder what his source told him, maybe gave him a hint that Zelda was getting a new rep and he's a villain from a recently released game?
Yeah, sounds like his source isn't directly confirming it, just hinting at it. Which seems odd, but what do I know?

Reila

There is more than Skull Kid than just a moon. I am honestly more of a fan of his final smash being Majora's Wrath. The mask ditches the Skull Kid, transforms, kicks butt, then goes back to the Skull Kid.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
There is more than Skull Kid than just a moon. I am honestly more of a fan of his final smash being Majora's Wrath. The mask ditches the Skull Kid, transforms, kicks butt, then goes back to the Skull Kid.
Oh man, imagine his FS just leaves him in a pile on the ground while the mask transforms.

Hero044

Smash Cadet
The Mischievous Imp with the Dark Mask
SKULL KID
View attachment 149375
Link to previous support topic
https://smashboards.com/threads/skull-kid-the-lost-puppet-assist-trophy-status-confirmed.325875/
Who is the Skull Kid?
Skull Kid is a character and race in the Zelda franchise. He served as the main antagonist in Majora's Mask. This Skull Kid also appeared in Ocarina of Time where link taught him Saria's Song and gave him the Skull Mask. It's also strongly believed to be the same Skull Kid in Twilight Princess, as he plays Saria's song just as the hero of time taught him and it takes place in the same timeline. In Majora's Mask, he wore the titular item and with its dark power, He almost destroyed the world.
Why Should he be in Smash
Together with the Majora's Mask, Skull Kid is one of the most iconic and popular Zelda characters out there. And the game they come from is one of the most talked about and beloved games on the internet and has a strong fan following. In recent years two incredibly high quality fan projects have popped up
(this one's older than I remember, but it still shows the dedication of the fans)
Actually, it does bring up something else worth mentioning. The remake. Skull Kid has a surprisingly amount of good timing on his side this time. The remake released in 2015 and we know the hype for it actually touched Sakurai some what

Allow me to announce the winners!
"The winner of the Gold prize is… ""Use the Song of Time! USE THE SONG OF TIME!!"" by Eric!
Here's a message from Mr. Sakurai himself: ""A very 'timely' topic, indeed. The placement of the pieces against the background is also nicely done. But in this case, going back using the Song of Time might require the ability to solve 5-Back problems, at least.""
Congratulations, Eric!"
A photo contest on Miiverse
He even won a poll in 2012 with a very large number of votes. Beating the likes of Mega Man and Shulk. He had over 130.000 votes
http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-finals/
So he's popular, lot of characters are popular.
What are his other Pros.

Skull Kid surprisingly has timing on his side, a year before the development of Smash Switch is believed to have begin, Majora's Mask 3D was released putting Skull Kid in the spotlight. And that spotlight continued to the next year with Hyrule Warriors Legends where Skull Kid was the only new character who wasn't from Wind Water or OC. It's easy to assume this was due to fan demand and backlash from his absence from this point.
He also has many smaller things, especially his mask. The Majora's Mask appears as head gear in both Smash Wii U and Zelda Breath of the Wild, in both cases the Mask was among the first piece of dlc gear added (first decided on in Botw). It also shows up A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing and even Monster Hunter Stories (which also features the Skull Kid hat)
Also yes, a reference to the mask is a reference to Skull Kid, as seen at these two sources
https://www.smashbros.com/wiiu-3ds/sp/us/dlc/index.html

"Headgear for all Mii Fighter types. Bring the Skull Kid look into Smash!
...Falling moon not available."
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/06/29/aonuma-discusses-majoras-mask-dlc-breath-wild/
"as if he’s Skull Kid wearing Majora’s Mask."
That article brings up another important point. Majora's Mask was Aonuma's first Zelda game, the guy currently in charge of the franchise, And Skull Kid is clearly a favourite of his. So if Sakurai went to him to ask what Zelda character, or character in general he'd like to see. Good chances are he'd say Skull Kid.​
Movesets
The original
Neutral Special: Supernatural Occurrence: Skull Kid focuses, then snaps his fingers, causing a random effect to hit any opponent in front of him. This can be tripping, a short dizziness, freeze, or (very rare) explosion, which does direct damage.
Side Special: Insanity: Slowly spin towards your opponent. Every other second you will spot dodge (While still moving.) Press it again to cancel. Another bizarre approach option.
Up Special: Moon's Gravity: Reverse Skull Kid's gravity to make him start falling up. (This can kill yourself if you leave it on too long.) Pressing it again makes your gravity return to normal. This is ANOTHER bizarre approach or recovery option, which lets you do weird things like down air to meteor smash upwards. Hits that would normally send you up send you down and vice versa.
Down Special: Ocarina: Pressing Down pulls out an Ocarina, and pressing neutral puts it away, as does playing a song. When the Ocarina is out, pressing Down plays a brief version of the Song of Time, and if not interrupted, will send him caterwauling through time and summon a past and future version of him which are on the left and right of him, and follow his actions. These die way easier than Skull Kid. Pressing up with Ocarina out plays a brief version of the Song of Healing, which during you using it, you regain 2% each second. Pressing Right with the Ocarina out plays a much briefer version of the Song of Soaring, which if not interrupted, then lets you soar in a superarmor bubble for a sort amount of time. Finally, if pressing Left with the Ocarina out, you play a brief version of the Goron Lullaby, which if not interrupted, will make all enemy players on the ground fall asleep

Other Attacks
Jab: Punch once, then start slapping repeatedly if pressed repeatedly.
Side Tilt Left: Swing your leg to the right, but the hitbox is to the left. (Effects and shimmers can be seen at the left.)
Side Tilt Right: Swing your leg to the left but the hitbox is to the right. (Effects and shimmers can be seen at the right.)
Down Tilt: Curl out of your ball (See more later) and flatten yourself out. Hits on both sides and trips opponents.
Up Tilt: Tatl and Tael spin above Skull Kid's head.

Dash Attack: Start spinning randomly Luigi Cyclone style, but the animation is much more spastic and out of control.
Up Smash: Start corkscrewing upwards, chaining hits on opponents hit, and then drop down defenseless.
Side Smash: Roll back as if you are rolling away, but then suddenly roll forward and hit anyone in your way. Rolling back has no hitbox.
Down Smash: Mess up gravity to fall down hard like a boulder. Falls fast, but has long lag. Also does 10% to self.
Grab: The fairies grab the foe by the feet.

Pummel: Skull Kid clocks the foe right in the face.
Forward Throw: Basic throw.
Back Throw: ^
Up Throw: ^
Down Throw: Skull Kid pummels the foe to the ground mercilessly.
Final Smash: Majora's Moon: Start messing up gravity, either making fighters heavier or lighter, as the moon slowly crashed down. Whenever the Moon hits a solid surface, a giant explosion rings throughout the area, hitting everyone (Including Skull Kid.) This move has high damage and knockback.
Animations
Idle: Float in place and move your head weirdly as Tatl and Tael float around you. Occasionally desperately try to pull the mask off.
Entrance: There is none- He is just there....
Dash: Start rushing towards your opponent while still floating, Mewtwo style.
Crouch: Curl up into a ball.
Spot Dodge: Fast but ends slow. Skull Kid takes a step back and moves his head.
Roll: (In one category due to similarities.) You roll up into that same ball, but move in the selected direction.
Side Taunt: Do Skull Kid's signature laying in the air pose.
Up Taunt: Pull a random mask out from a random selection and observe it before putting it away. (Can be the Keaton Mask, Great Fairy Mask, Romani's Mask, Mask of Truth, or Bunny Hood.)
Down Taunt: Start doing a dance with the fairies! Cancel-able like Bayonetta's due to length.
Victory Pose 1: You get a view of his feet as Majora's Mask then drops to the ground, and it moves up to his face, in which he is smiling and dances free with the fairies.
Victory Pose 2: Majora's Mask is already off, but Skull Kid is observing a wide selection of masks.
Losing Pose/Clapping Animation: Skull Kid has his back turned, hunched over, and his desperately trying to pull it off has the fairies float around awkwardly.
The Masked Marauders
View attachment 156855
Skull kid Supporters
1. @MrNintendo (yours truly)
2. @Mrrgle (original owner)
3. @Yomi's Biggest Fan
4. @nirvanafan
5. @ryuu seika
6. @Kirbeh
7. @Aussie the Shinobi
8. @ZestyÑ
9. @Fedaykin
10. @Astraltar
11. @slambros
12. @TheSqushiestManatee
13. @MrRoidley
14. @ZealousGamer
15. @Dalek_Kolt
16. @GoodGrief741
17. @Pizza Robo
18. @PushDustIn
19. @Sheng Long
20. @SethTheMage
21. @smashkirby
22. @verysleepywolf
23. @SEGAGameBoy
24. @DBPirate
25. @lltacx
26. @Questionmark222
27. @「Mega Bidoof」
28. @AquaSol
29. @BluePikmin11
30. @Eagle
31. @SpiralGalaxies
32. Demonfunds Demonfunds
33. @Crap-Zapper
34. @TheDarkMetaKnight
35. @Xevious 1
36. @Lisbon Mapping
37. @SkullKidKing
38. @ZealousGamer
39. @Isaac: Venus Adept
40. UserKev UserKev
41. @Marvel-Otaku-Man
42. @slambros
43. @PrinceGal3n
44. @Dixie Kong
45. @Termina
46. @GalacticPetey
47. @OptimisticStrifer
48. @Poopyhead
49. @0007
50. @Smashoperatingbuddy123
51. @Gazorpazorpfield
52. @dimensionsword64
53. @WertQuadNine
54. WampaWreckage WampaWreckage
55. @Jetsurge
56. @Apollo500
57. @RayaGRH
58. @chronomantic
59. @xHackAttackx
60. @Louisacommie
61. @-crump-
62. @Erotic&Heretic
63. @Kirbunny431
64. @GoodShepperd
65. @LoZ00
66. @Geoffrey Druyts
67. @ActualGarbage
68. @DooplissWizard
69. @Dr.Turtle
70. PhantomShab PhantomShab
71. @Sysmek
72. @Roy_Boy Color
73. @The Legendary Beast
74. @ThoughtfulWanderer
75. @Muirkat
76. Reila Reila
77. @Strider_Bond00J
78. @TreeBranch
79. @Nintenzilla *Reboot*
80. @CaptainAmerica
81. @Blue7113
82. AnOkayDM AnOkayDM
83. @UnknownM
84. @Gooper Blooper
85. @Sølid
86. @xpnc
87. @Draugen
88. @TheKingOfEvil2014
89. @-Coco-
90. @Dr. Jojo Phantasma
91. @Shadownade
92. @Kirbyfan391
93. @praline
94. @CardStealer1
95. @Crusty
96. @BlazGreen
97. @Spatman
98. Juliusaurus Juliusaurus
99. fogbadge fogbadge
If you are interested in more Zelda characters, be sure to check out the Impa support thread as many of us are hoping both make it in!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Oh man, imagine his FS just leaves him in a pile on the ground while the mask transforms.
That'd be deep. Other than that, I'm having difficulties imagining Skull Kid's recovery. Aside from teleporting.

Reila

That is what I was envisioning. It would be super cool and creepy.
That'd be deep. Other than that, I'm having difficulties imagining Skull Kid's recovery. Aside from teleporting.
Talt and Tael will grab him and carry him back to the platform. Or he could have some Majora tentacle work like a tether.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He could teleport, he could fling out some Majora tentacles...or, he can canonically just fly around. Or at least levitate!

Reila

He could teleport, he could fling out some Majora tentacles...or, he can canonically just fly around. Or at least levitate!
I totally forgot that Skull Kid would probably float near the floor instead of walk. If he walks, I think at least his dashes will be floating. Cool stuff. Dark Samus floats and she looks so... Cool (what a diverse vocabulary I have!).

WampaWreckage

Smash Rookie
So I have a question for people that were apart of the speculation scene between Melee and Brawl.

I keep hearing rumors that Skull Kid was SUPER popular and demanded in those times. Is that true?? And if so, where would you place him for most requested?? Top 10 or not that much??

I want to just make sure it's true and not just people spreading false information around.

I'd appreciate any kind of response!

TBone06

Smash Ace
I’m a lifelong Zelda fan. I bought a house and the first two things I bought were the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword for my walls. Ocarina of Time is my all time favourite, but I loved Majora’s Mask too. I think we are overdue for a new Zelda rep, and there is no better character than Skull Kid. Sign me up!

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
So I have a question for people that were apart of the speculation scene between Melee and Brawl.

I keep hearing rumors that Skull Kid was SUPER popular and demanded in those times. Is that true?? And if so, where would you place him for most requested?? Top 10 or not that much??

I want to just make sure it's true and not just people spreading false information around.

I was around during Brawl speculation, and I legitimately don't remember anything about him. The biggest ones I remember are Ike, Lucas, Sonic, and Geno. And Midna, when it came to Zelda characters. That and wondering if Sheik would actually come back due to the lack of a TP design.

Edited to add: I might've been in the wrong parts of the site, or I might not have cared enough to pay attention yet, because I didn't play MM until after Brawl came out, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Done, 102 supporters!!!

And I still haven't figured out how to change a poll. Sorry for disturbing you Megadoomer Megadoomer but at this point I assume contacting a mod or administrator is what I'm supp

Reila

One could always browse the Brawl forum and see which threads had the most activity back then. They are all still there. It is pretty funny reading stuff like "Shiek is totally going to be cut" and the whole thing about cutting Ness because of Lucas.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion

Skull Kid was popular during Brawl speculation. Decently popular at the most. His was in, I recall one of the most viewed prediction rosters on YouTube and even had a fake Smash model.

Hero044

Smash Cadet
There are many signs pointing into his inclusion, we haven’t seen his assist trophy, the moon is in his place, we have a theme of villains, and there are some credible leaks going around with him in them.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Also while far less significant, the Boxart for Hyrule Warriors switch replaced Tingle for Skull Kid.

Maybe they knew? (probably not)

Reila

Also while far less significant, the Boxart for Hyrule Warriors switch replaced Tingle for Skull Kid.

Maybe they knew? (probably not)
It is possible if the Smash team asked for the Hyrule Warriors Skull Kid 3D models to speed things up. But probably not indeed.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It makes no sense, each unique newcomer gets their own trailer, no exceptions. and I wouldn't want my most wanted to have to share with my absolute least wanted.

I really wish people would stop trying to group them together.

Reila

There is really no need for them to share a trailer. They can play around with their similarities with screenshots in the official site.

I think the next Direct, if Skull Kid is playable, will be similar to the latest one. Newcomer from the good side in the beginning, newcomer from the bad side by the end. Maybe the good aligned newcomer is Geno, maybe not.

Top Bottom