• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masahiro Sakurai to speak on developing Brawl at GDC 2008

Gold_Darkness

Smash Apprentice
At the Games Developers Conference 08, the man behind Smash (and for a moment, the man whom everyone wanted to smash his behind) will be speaking on the games development, specifically on designing the characters.

GDC will take place between Feb. 18th to the 22nd

Building Characters: The SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL Postmortem
Speaker: Masahiro Sakurai (Designer and Director, Sora Ltd.)
Date/Time: TBD
Track: Game Design
Experience Level: All

Session Description
One of the strengths of Nintendo is its great number of character franchises. SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL builds on this legacy by providing a unique experience for Wii, leveraging many popular characters from the history of Nintendo and beyond. However, integrating so many different characters, each with its own personality, is no easy task, especially when characters from other publishers are willing to join the brawl. The man behind SMASH BROS., Masahiro Sakurai, discusses how he has approached this unique game series.
Source: https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6975

Also Nintendo related at the GDC:

Planning the Wii Menu: From Pre-Launch to WiiWare
Speaker: Takashi Aoyama (Group Manager for the Network Administration Group, Nintendo)

Session Description
Takashi Aoyama of Nintendo\'s Network Group explains for attendees the story of the development of Wii hardware\'s internal programming. The Wii Menu includes a diverse array of built-in entertainment and educational options for users, including the News Channel, the Everybody Votes Channel and the Check Mii Out Channel. Aoyama discusses how the team at Nintendo has tackled these unprecedented challenges for Wii, including the most recent challenge to introduce WiiWare.

Wii FIT: Creating a Brand New Interface for the Home Console
Speaker: Takao Sawano (Deputy GM in Entertainment Analysis & Development, Nintendo)

Session Description
A fitness video game? Nintendo developers were challenged from the start when given the directive to develop an application for daily use that enables you to have fun while monitoring your fitness. Takao Sawano, the principal Wii Balance Board developer, discusses how his team ended up creating an unprecedented new game controller that will have a far-reaching impact for both casual and core gamers in WII FIT and beyond. Attendees will learn about the development of WII FIT as well as how the product, which recently launched in Japan, is already turning family living rooms into private fitness clubs.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I wonder if he'll give any specific, non-generic answers for why it took so long to delay and why america specifically was given so many dates.
I don't think that's the point of the presentation.

I wonder if he'll slip any secret characters, especially since everyone in Japan will know who they are by then.

Geos88

Smash Cadet
I wonder if he'll give any specific, non-generic answers for why it took so long to delay and why america specifically was given so many dates.

I hope so too. The notice he made was very vague.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I don't think that's the point of the presentation.

I wonder if he'll slip any secret characters, especially since everyone in Japan will know who they are by then.
I know the purpose of the presentation is characters. But what if chracters are responsible for the delay? That would be interesting to know at least, and one of the FEW comforts.

Gold_Darkness

Smash Apprentice
I just released the description of the session includes

especially when characters from other publishers are willing to join the brawl
More than Sega and Konami characters confirmed?

icymatt

Smash Lord
That's a possibility.

It will be interesting to hear the whole story on how Sonic and Snake got in.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Well, we already know about Snake. "Kojima practically begged Sakurai to have Snake put into Melee, but the game was too far into development at the time, so Snake was put into Brawl instead."

As far as Sonic goes, that makes for an interesting story.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Should be an interesting presentation, to say the least =3. I'm more excited about this than Brawl at the moment. My brawl hype is dead, sadly xD

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Should be an interesting presentation, to say the least =3. I'm more excited about this than Brawl at the moment. My brawl hype is dead, sadly xD
Seriously, the delay really deflated my hype, which was just starting to rebuild itself...

The only thing that would fix it is if one of my hopefulls gets confirmed on the Dojo. Not a single one has been confirmed yet.

Geno, Krystal, Lucario, Midna & Wolf Link, Wolf, Ridley or Issac/Felix

I really am curious to hear Sakurai's feelings on his (potentially last) Smash.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
It is interesting saying that the publishers themselves wanted the characters in...any theory based upon budget may be in jeopardy...because being in Brawl is advertising, more or less, the companies might (this is a BIG stretch...probably not accurate at all) actually choose to pay to put their characters in! I'm kind of rambling, does this make sense?

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
part of me hopes if there is another smash, Masahiro isnt involved. maybe it will come out on time then.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Yeah, Brawl hype is destroyed for me at the moment. He doubled the time Americans had to wait to play the game for the SECOND time. October - December = 2 months, then he pushed it back two more months. We had finally a month till February, now wooooah there its in March.

But I don't think he'll need to much security unless somehow an american gets in there. Won't the Japanese have it by this event?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Seriously, the delay really deflated my hype, which was just starting to rebuild itself...

The only thing that would fix it is if one of my hopefulls gets confirmed on the Dojo. Not a single one has been confirmed yet.

Geno, Krystal, Lucario, Midna & Wolf Link, Wolf, Ridley or Issac/Felix

I really am curious to hear Sakurai's feelings on his (potentially last) Smash.
I know exactly what you mean! I wasn't even thinking of Brawl for a while, then it started coming to the forefront of my thoughts... then this happened =(

I'm with you with those characters those, especially Midna/Wolf Link and Wolf... <.< Oh, and Geno too =P

And yeah, by the time this conference takes place, everything will have been revealed already.

Jash Thor

Smash Cadet
Will the official website allow us to read/view this presentation when it occurs? Or maybe a transcript/recording of it later?

Danon

Smash Apprentice
The presentation is a postmortem. It is a complete and honest opinion on how the project was conceived and produced. He's most likely going because the design team for Brawl was the biggest ever undertaken by Nintendo. I wish I could afford to go, as my Professor and some of my classmates are heading out there.

The interesting thing is that postmortems usually address/explain the flaws of the final product, and since Brawl isn't even out yet in the U.S. he may be forced to watch his words, which is sad since thats the point of a postmortem: to admit mistakes and to share what was learned by those mistakes.

game-freak

Smash Rookie
should be interresting, hopefully they will also give a european release date for brawl at gdc. (or atleast a hint at when it's coming.) if they don't give us one sooner, which i doubt.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
The presentation is a postmortem. It is a complete and honest opinion on how the project was conceived and produced. He's most likely going because the design team for Brawl was the biggest ever undertaken by Nintendo. I wish I could afford to go, as my Professor and some of my classmates are heading out there.

The interesting thing is that postmortems usually address/explain the flaws of the final product, and since Brawl isn't even out yet in the U.S. he may be forced to watch his words, which is sad since thats the point of a postmortem: to admit mistakes and to share what was learned by those mistakes.
I don't think so, he said he won't be too hung up on secret characters this time. and if it takes place after the Japanese release you'd think all bets would be off, as they will be for us once we scarf down the information to placate the extra month wait.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
I'm very excited to see what is said at this event. I'm also very shocked that this is one of the topics being presented since usually it's just Iwata/Miyamoto talking about everything Nintendo. It's pretty uncommon to have one person discuss one game in depth. Can't wait!

Danon

Smash Apprentice
I don't think so, he said he won't be too hung up on secret characters this time. and if it takes place after the Japanese release you'd think all bets would be off, as they will be for us once we scarf down the information to placate the extra month wait.
When I said "watch his words" I wasn't taking about secret characters. I was talking about any problems or flaws in the game that he couldn't resolve.

Since it isn't out in America yet, NOA may pressure him to not say that the game is flawed in any way before it is released. So even if there is a big gripe he had with the production, that insight may be lost.

ALSO....I am going to start planning to see if I can go to GDC. Anyone else here thinking about going?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
More Fire Emblem representatives please.

The series and characters seemed to be overlooked and lost in these forums that's full of "Megaman/Geno/Krystal for Brawl!" topics and posts.

I wonder if Sakurai it just as upset as we were when the delay hit? Afterall, it wasn't his decision.

RevN

Smash Apprentice
At the Games Developers Conference 08, the man behind Smash (and for a moment, the man whom everyone wanted to smash his behind) will be speaking on the games development, specifically on designing the characters.

GDC will take place between Feb. 18th to the 22nd

Source: https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6975

Also Nintendo related at the GDC:

Planning the Wii Menu: From Pre-Launch to WiiWare
Speaker: Takashi Aoyama (Group Manager for the Network Administration Group, Nintendo)

Session Description
Takashi Aoyama of Nintendo\'s Network Group explains for attendees the story of the development of Wii hardware\'s internal programming. The Wii Menu includes a diverse array of built-in entertainment and educational options for users, including the News Channel, the Everybody Votes Channel and the Check Mii Out Channel. Aoyama discusses how the team at Nintendo has tackled these unprecedented challenges for Wii, including the most recent challenge to introduce WiiWare.

Wii FIT: Creating a Brand New Interface for the Home Console
Speaker: Takao Sawano (Deputy GM in Entertainment Analysis & Development, Nintendo)

Session Description
A fitness video game? Nintendo developers were challenged from the start when given the directive to develop an application for daily use that enables you to have fun while monitoring your fitness. Takao Sawano, the principal Wii Balance Board developer, discusses how his team ended up creating an unprecedented new game controller that will have a far-reaching impact for both casual and core gamers in WII FIT and beyond. Attendees will learn about the development of WII FIT as well as how the product, which recently launched in Japan, is already turning family living rooms into private fitness clubs.

O Man i wanna See the excuse he made up this time.:chuckle:

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Wait a sec, is the public allowed to go to the GDC?
Yes, but you need to buy a pass, which costs anywhere from a few hundred dollars upwards to $2000.

FYI to all, I might be going again this year. For the past 4 years I've gone and worked there, but this quarter's pretty hectic, and I don't know if I can take off all the time...we'll have to see. But I'm really hoping that I get to go! If I do, I'll tell you all about it.

Danon

Smash Apprentice
This thread needs to be stuck.....if we can get someone to link a video/blog of the event (when it happens next month).

I don't think people realize how huge this presentation is. A postmortem is an increadible source of insight into how a game is made.

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
That would be something interesting to hear. If only someone could provide a video or transcript of the talk. Somebody probably will. I wonder what we will learn. I wish I was there to ask questions. hehs.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
This should be interesting, but most everyone will already know everything about SSBB by then so I doubt he will talk about any spoilers.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
wow, i think iwas ine if the few who lost hype for the game.

A lot of people here seem to be in the same mood. What a way to break the momentum.

Lets hope the best for this interview---- it will be interesting to know how the game was made etc,,,

Top Bottom