• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Weaknesses

Metà

Smash Master
I'm a Falco and Luigi player and my main weakness is Marth. I already know a lot of techniques for Luigi and Falco, but I don't play as Marth a lot, so I don't know his weaknesses. Can anyone help me out? :confused:

Renth

Smash Hero
Marth weaknesses, basically he can get juggled really easily and it's hard for him to kill at higher percents, just watch the super range of his foward smash and watch for foward air and you should do alright

JFox

Smash Hero
SHL spamming gives Marth trouble. He has no projectile, which is a weakness, leaving the bird free to spam the laser whenever possible. Make the Marth come to you. He does not have the best offense since his speed isn't that great and the SHL blocks an attempt to get into grab range if used right. For Luigi, you should go into the Luigi section and ask their probably...

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
^you dont know much....

SHL give almost anyone trouble IF used right......and marths offense is the shizit! Utilts and tipped smashes spell death to alot of charactres...falco more-so.
once falco is off the stage.....hes dead....PERIOD....
and u dont want a marth coming at u......once your grabbed....you will most likly regret it.

marths weakness is basicly................shiek.......

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Marth's attacks extend infront, behind, and above him. Never below him except for his dair which can be teched out of by any n00b. So if you really want to beat a Marth, avoid his range and rush in and keep him in the air from below. But unfortunately for you, you're a Falco player so you can't attack Marth as readily with U-airs as a Fox player. I'd suggest getting used to playing on more platform stages so you can attack a Marth from underneath. Yes, standing on platforms increases your chances of getting tippered, but they can also increase your pillaring which is a big plus.

Renth

Smash Hero
FoD

The Great Marth said:
^you dont know much....

SHL give almost anyone trouble IF used right......and marths offense is the shizit! Utilts and tipped smashes spell death to alot of charactres...falco more-so.
once falco is off the stage.....hes dead....PERIOD....
and u dont want a marth coming at u......once your grabbed....you will most likly regret it.

marths weakness is basicly................shiek.......
I STRONGLY agree with once falco is off the stage hes dead period, i was playing Falco vs. Timats Marth on FoD we were by the edge on the left side he hit me with the tip of the sword i was at 0% and he one shot killed me :cry: , so no falco is DEFINATELY NOT! a weakness of marth the SHL is annoying for characters that use projectiles more than anything else against marth to use the SHL usefully you have to hit with a lazer close and slip in a down air in the same movement to be completely effective.
and Shiek she's everyones weakness she needs NERFED :laugh:

Goron3

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Marth player, and my only real weakness is probably that ****in shiek!!!

Metà

Smash Master
Thanks for all the help. Not many of my friends are any good with Marth, and any who are decent with him don't play as him often. I don't always get much of a chance to play against him and learn his weaknesses. I understand that Marth has some of the best edge-guards in the game, right? Edge-guarding + Falco = Dead bird... I've seen this happen too many times. When I'm above or level to the ground, I use Phantasm to recover, because it's hard to counter, but any good Marth player would see this coming and use a forward smash. When I'm beneath the stage, I use FireBird, but Marth's down strong destroys him! I guess it's mainly Falco's weaknesses that you have to learn when playing as Falso, not as much Marth's weaknesses...

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight04 said:
Thanks for all the help. Not many of my friends are any good with Marth, and any who are decent with him don't play as him often. I don't always get much of a chance to play against him and learn his weaknesses. I understand that Marth has some of the best edge-guards in the game, right? Edge-guarding + Falco = Dead bird... I've seen this happen too many times. When I'm above or level to the ground, I use Phantasm to recover, because it's hard to counter, but any good Marth player would see this coming and use a forward smash. When I'm beneath the stage, I use FireBird, but Marth's down strong destroys him! I guess it's mainly Falco's weaknesses that you have to learn when playing as Falso, not as much Marth's weaknesses...
Exactly. It's up to you to be the best you can with your character, not learn the worst of the others.

Yes, as TGM said, once Falco is off of the stage, Falco SHOULD NOT live. So, being a Falco/Marth player myself, my advice is that you don't get knocked off the stage. It is WAY too easy to kill Falco when playing as Marth.

Secondly, spam the SHL. Just don't go too crazy with it, because you may end up putting yourself in a bad situation if you're playing a good Marth. After you SHL, try to "fly" forward and hit marth with a shffl'd d-air. Falco gets good horizontal distance, so when the Marth blocks/gets hit by/quick dodges/ rolls around the laser, just hit him with a d-air. If he's at a low percent, you can also combo into a shine combo. At higher percents, he'll fly farther upward, so you might want to stay out of his sword range and use the SHL tactic again.

Also, with recovery, try to be unpredictable with the phantasm and firebird, especially when above the ledge. Try firebirding into different directions ( make sure to fastfall your landing) : up, horizontally, and diagonally, or simply sweetspot grab the ledge. If the marth guesses which way you're going, you're outta luck, but if not, you're back on the stage.

One last thing. When Marth uses his faster attacks ( f-smash, d-air ), YOU slightly altering your timing can open a HUGE window against Marth. ESPECIALLY with the SHL.

Olink

Smash Rookie
i play marth and roy, and from what i cans ee, falco maybe be able to spam wih his laser, but it does not fire fast enough to really make a dif, all marth has to do is side dodge or counter, and not one hit, as far as guarding on the edge, either of falcos recovers, can be coiuntered with great ease, but i have not played as falco and i do not know all of his strengths

yoko-satan

Smash Rookie
Olink said:
, falco maybe be able to spam wih his laser, but it does not fire fast enough to really make a dif, all marth has to do is side dodge or counter, and not one hit,
Have you ever heard of SHL.(lol)

Okay for the guy who is losing agains noob marth is quite simple, went you want to get to the edge yur pranticly dead because marth can easily spike you went you use the darn fire, and can sweetspot you even if you use phantasm (so that means falco is a piece of crap compare to marth, thats why marth is in top and flco is in high in the tiers). Now the laser is not bad, if you know how to use SHL and atleast SH falco moves (if you are more expirience use shuffle instend), with that go with combos moves on the marth noobs and the will have nothing on you, the will regret the day the started to pay smash. So man you should know combos, mindgames, and you can kick A$$ to all the noob and any other player who wants to play yo (just because this think that say "SMASH NOOB" doesn't mean IM a noob in smash, i play this game since it went out, i prantice advance moves since 2002, but want pise me is that a stupid bowser playerwho play since 2004 kick my @$$, am not saying who the heck he is, his a moron that i will kick to hell soon)

and for the info, just learn combos, practice and you can even defend the best player in your darn comunity.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Metaknight04 said:
There is only character better at edgeguarding.

BOWSER!!!(proven.)

Metà

Smash Master
yoko-satan said:
Have you ever heard of SHL.(lol)

Okay for the guy who is losing agains noob marth is quite simple, went you want to get to the edge yur pranticly dead because marth can easily spike you went you use the darn fire, and can sweetspot you even if you use phantasm (so that means falco is a piece of crap compare to marth, thats why marth is in top and flco is in high in the tiers). Now the laser is not bad, if you know how to use SHL and atleast SH falco moves (if you are more expirience use shuffle instend), with that go with combos moves on the marth noobs and the will have nothing on you, the will regret the day the started to pay smash. So man you should know combos, mindgames, and you can kick A$$ to all the noob and any other player who wants to play yo (just because this think that say "SMASH NOOB" doesn't mean IM a noob in smash, i play this game since it went out, i prantice advance moves since 2002, but want pise me is that a stupid bowser playerwho play since 2004 kick my @$$, am not saying who the heck he is, his a moron that i will kick to hell soon)

and for the info, just learn combos, practice and you can even defend the best player in your darn comunity.
By the way, my friends aren't noobs, I've been playing it as long as you, I know mindgames, I can shffl, wave-dash, and SHL (it doesn't go faster than grounded laser, trust me, it just reduces lag for when you're closer to your opponent). You should really think before you post and brush up on your English skills. I know in forums, most people don't think it matters, but it matters to more people than you think. The thing is that most of those people don't speak out about it. I don't mean to offend you, but you sound like an ESL student (which you may be, and that is perfectly acceptable). If you're not, then learn some remedial English.

D

Deleted member

play sheik, do nothing but needle spam and WD back. At least you can make him look bad.

Actually, that makes anyone look bad.

Falco/Fox on Onett is a good call too.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Marth...

is juggled easily.

has difficulty KO'ing at high percentage because of the deterioration of his grab game and aerial combos into KO's via fsmash and dair. His grab game and aerials throw the opponent too far away at the higher percentages to combo, but often not far enough away to kill.

is outpressured at close range, imo. Though he has great range, lack of a jab and low knockback towards the handle of the sword give him a poor close range game. Marth is all about spacing, because different spacing results in different knockback angles and strengths, especially on fair. Quick moves such as jab and shine can overload a Marth player with pressure, and provide temporary stun to start a combo with or get a grab in.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
yeah. meta is pretty good. DUN DUN DUN, oh my? its manli? haha. okay bud. the only way you're gonna beat my marth, is to play exactly like eric. he totally rocked me. i say put some more shines into your game.. and i'm not great at sweetspotting the edge, so shffl 'd dair might do wonders. and yeah, SHL is much better than normal laser. cuz i'll juss go over all your attacks. as if you were fox or something. Ask ERic man, he's like crazy. and i practice only against Fox's and Falco's, so my chainthrow is alright. if you CC and Dtilt, you'll prolly kill me cuz of your strong tail thing.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I find a Luigi that crouch cancles and downsmashes is annoying, but your best bet is aireal forward A, once you downsmash them. In my opinion any way, also wave sashing left and right, and then fcoming in for a wave grab works to.

Metà

Smash Master
firexemblemxpryde said:
yeah. meta is pretty good. DUN DUN DUN, oh my? its manli? haha. okay bud. the only way you're gonna beat my marth, is to play exactly like eric. he totally rocked me. i say put some more shines into your game.. and i'm not great at sweetspotting the edge, so shffl 'd dair might do wonders. and yeah, SHL is much better than normal laser. cuz i'll juss go over all your attacks. as if you were fox or something. Ask ERic man, he's like crazy. and i practice only against Fox's and Falco's, so my chainthrow is alright. if you CC and Dtilt, you'll prolly kill me cuz of your strong tail thing.
Thank you! :laugh: And you're right, I don't shine nearly enough as I should be. I'm not that good at doing shine maneuvers, so I'll practice it a bit.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
haha np. mkayy so how much were we mm for? i dun have a gc anymore ='( so i can't really practice. haha but i'll still take you ^_- that is just how my pride works.

jenniprncss

Smash Cadet
been away for a while...

ok lst. marth has no projectile, but then if you are fast enough then you can counter

then it can be hard when people start projectiel abusing then you would prob. have to dodge the attacks

2nd, peach's toading...

if an idiot was charging his sowrd breaker move, then peach would get the advantage.
not only that although peach's toading is quite slow can can still be annoying, because you get the damage you gotten, since i used peach in an event match adn kept toading.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
for my marth, i have a lot of problems against characters that are faster than me, such as sheik (especially), fox, and falcon

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ya i forgot about that too, i tend to have problems against peach too :S

Zander805

Smash Ace
Dawnroyfire said:
There is only character better at edgeguarding.

BOWSER!!!(proven.)
What...? How can you, "prove," one character is better than another at edgegaurding? How is Bowser better than Marth at edgegaurding? :ohwell:

I'm not really saying you are wrong, just explain this to me... I'm very curious. :)

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
it doesnt matter if bowser has better edge guarding that marth........bowser is low low on the tier list for a reason, so it doesnt matter if his edge guarding is godly or not.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
fthrow? what can u make use of that? chaingrab from 0 to 11% and fsmash? cant she tech away?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
nah man. its really hard for a peach to DI out of a fthrow to fsmash. even at higher percentage. it ACTUALLy leaves peach weak for a while. i also heard it's a good idea to use shffl 'd nairs into peaches... and i'm like a bowser noob. what does bowser use as edgeguard?

Glide

Smash Ace
Peach shouldn't be chain grabbed. Period. DI Away, and an f-smash will never hit you out of an f-throw unless you want it to, or you got mind gamed.

stuntcuum3571

Smash Ace
Peach vs Marth is even. Sheik is a *****. Falcon and Ganon are hard for Marth. So is Fox. Use Bair to edgeguard with bowser

Tyson651

Smash Lord
marth's #1 counter-pick is sheik.

cause sheik totally ***** marth and its marth's hardest match up

Top Bottom