• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Weaknesses

DariusM27

Smash Ace
It's bothering me how over hyped Marth is in the Smash4 community lately. I think Marth is lower in the tier list than a lot of people do because of several challenges he has, but I admit that most people are justified in thinking that he is top tier. I'm not saying he isn't top 10 - 15. He probably is somewhere around there. But only in the very best of hands - imo. In most player's hands, he is...not.

Marth weakness
1. Lack of throw follow ups on most characters and most percents
2. Not a safe neutral at all. One wiffed move usually means taking several consecutive punish hits.
3. Predictable, exploitable approach game. No approach gimmicks like monkey flip or boost kick.
4. He has the longest (worst) dash length, meaning running is initially unsafe as Marth because it takes longer to run directly into shield. That is a very big weakness in a game where mobility and shield are so important.
5. Except Ganondorf, Ike, and Jigglypuff, he is the next slowest non projectile character in the game. (And both Ganon and Ike have faster movement options) - He is either outspaced with projectiles or outclassed in terms of speed and frame data, or both.
This makes applying offensive pressure in neutral very difficult for Marth - less easy than it is for most characters. He then has to rely on making hard reads consistently and ends up needing to use a more defensive and reactive neutral game.
His fair and nair both come out fast, but they aren't spammable, and puts him in a very disadvantageous if they wiff - (Like how Mr E kept landing into fair or nair on Nairo's Bowser/shield, and still got bodied for it, even though he spaced it out really far)
6. He has some of the worst risk - reward ratio in the game, and the highest skill cap, because it is so difficult to land the tippers consistently.
The Aerial tippers got buffed and are easier to land now, but still difficult overall. This means that his KO power is absolute garbage unless you completely outclass your opponent in skill.
Edits -
7.His ability to land safely is pretty terrible, and it has been notoriously since game's launch. (Aka Mr E getting 3-0d by Nairo just simply grabbing him once and never letting him land safely again.)
8. His air speed is crap slow compared to many high tiers (Diddy, Sheik, Zss). This makes approaching and attacking from full hops fast fall not a good approach at all.
9. Marth's auto-cancel windows are horrendously nerfed and bad.

You have to be one of the best players in the world to make Marth work with any level of consistency. Not even ZeRo or Mr R are confident in their ability to make Marth work consistently, and they've said on several occasions that they love the character and would enjoy using him if they could.

But MkLeo makes him work, because he uses pivoting and spacing tools on a whole level beyond the current meta.

Anyway, I just wrote this up real quick. If I got anything wrong, let me know and I'll correct/edit it. Feel free to correct any misconceptions or add something left out. I think it is an interesting topic, particularly now after Leo's recent win (In the same tourny that Mr E "ZeRo's - best Marth" drowned in pools) and considering how very poor Marth's placement was from the beginning of Smash4.

Marth has many strengths, but like I said, they only work consistently in the best player's hands - imo.

Last edited:

NoFall

Smash Rookie
No approach gimmicks like monkey flip or boost kick.
I agree with monkey flip, but boost kick isn't an approach gimmick at all... It's ZSS' Up B. I think you meant "Flip Jump" (ZSS' Down B), and it's not a safe approach option like monkey flip unless you edge-cancel it.

This makes applying offensive pressure in neutral very difficult for Marth - less easy than it is for most characters. He then has to rely on making hard reads consistently and ends up needing to use a more defensive and reactive neutral game.
I don't agree with you. Of course, as Marth is meant to be a zoning character, he has to play a defensive game, but there are some cases where he can approach offensively (after pressuring a shield for example).

Last edited:

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
I don't agree with you. Of course, as Marth is meant to be a zoning character, he has to play a defensive game, but he can however approach offensively after pressuring a shield, and that can lead to interesting follow-up options. You have to create the "invisible bubble" that you have to use at max range.
Agreed. I think Marth's best "approach" option is to build a moving wall which can shut down the opponent's options. Basically something like "a good defense is the best offense" kind of situation. He can't really burst in like Diddy/ZSS as mentioned in the OP, but this isn't the only way of approaching. He has to play safe, space tippers on shield, bait punishes, and gain stage control by shutting the opponent down.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I would've also included Marth having very few options to deal with pressure. He can definitely keep opponents away well, but as soon as an opponent breaks through Marth's zoning he will almost always take a lot of damage and/or possibly lose a stock, and breaking through Marth's zoning is not even the hardest thing to do for a lot of characters. He also has hitboxes that just straight up don't work properly, all attacks have very few active frames. Even in the advantage, Marth doesn't have many options to edgeguard players that go for a low recovery, because of how difficult it can be to land the sweetspot on Marth's dair and fair is his only other aerial that has a hitbox that goes under Marth (and it doesn't even reach that far below him anyways).

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I agree with monkey flip, but boost kick isn't an approach gimmick at all... It's ZSS' Up B. I think you meant "Flip Jump" (ZSS' Down B), and it's not a safe approach option like monkey flip unless you edge-cancel it.

I don't agree with you. Of course, as Marth is meant to be a zoning character, he has to play a defensive game, but there are some cases where he can approach offensively (after pressuring a shield for example).
Yeah, that's what I meant. Cool, no prob.

Edit -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniDkGGTjmA

"Finding a main be like" hahaha on Marth

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
:/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zacolg3hXV8 :/

Yeah, Marth is not better than top 10. (Ryu, Zss, Diddy, Sheik, Fox, Cloud, Mario, Mewtwo, SANIC, Villager, Megaman, Pikachu, Edit - Bayonetta,) - Most of these characters are objectively better than Marth.

Most of these characters dominate for like two years, but the single best Marth wins one major and everyone loses their minds.

:/

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
:/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zacolg3hXV8 :/

Yeah, Marth is not better than top 10. (Ryu, Zss, Diddy, Sheik, Fox, Cloud, Mario, Mewtwo, SANIC, Villager, Megaman, Pikachu) - Most of these characters are objectively better than Marth.

Most of these characters dominate for like two years, but the single best Marth wins one major and everyone loses their minds.

:/
Half of that isn't top ten material.

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
Half of that isn't top ten material.
Which of them? The only ones that you can really argue against are maybe Mega Man and Villager, but even they got 2nd at Evo 2016 and 3rd at Genesis 3.

imo, he's about 8th to 11th since he's better than everyone besides the elite top characters who chase him down and completely destroy him in neutral.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Which of them? The only ones that you can really argue against are maybe Mega Man and Villager, but even they got 2nd at Evo 2016 and 3rd at Genesis 3.

imo, he's about 8th to 11th since he's better than everyone besides the elite top characters who chase him down and completely destroy him in neutral.
Mega Man, Pikachu, Villager, ZSS, Ryu.
You can't object
Ryu's results are gone.
Zss has no neutral anymore and Nairo now plays bowser more.
Pikachu is killed the second anyone says "Mario"
Mega man, according to Kamemushi. Has two -3's against extremely common top level characters. Not to mention losing against every single top tier except Sonic and Diddy. Half of which are -2s
Villager got hurt REALLY badly by the introduction to Cloud, Mewtwo, and Bayo

Most of these are to 15, but still. This isn't 2015 anymore, Yoshi isn't relevant anymore.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Nairo used ZSS at the Tokaigi event, and all the games he won was with her.
/nitpick
:196:

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
If you think Marth outranks Zss, I would like to see your tournament results. How much money do you make on average a month from all your wins?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If you think Marth outranks Zss, I would like to see your tournament results. How much money do you make on average a month from all your wins?
So, we're using MY wins to get a proper view of how Marth ranks above ZSS DESPITE Her losing most top tier matchups with TWO -2's, having a really bad neutral, and being rather unsafe. While Marth goes even against most top tiers except Mewtwo, Sheik, Rosa and Sonic, while NONE of those being -2's other than maybe Sonic. Also, MK Leo won back to back tournaments. That Canadian one, and ZeRo Saga, and also GENESIS 3.9. Where after her nerfs, the most Marss can even get is winning a few Xanadu's. Over the past few months Marth has gotten LEAGUES above ZSS in terms of results. Hell, MK leo even flat out bodied Nairo at GOML2016.

And you're saying ZSS is higher than Marth. SMH.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Ad hominem, trying to make you back up your claims with placings was a poor move.

But other than that, no matchup ratio is set on stone, so calling who exactly is a -1 or -2 is nothing but an opinion.
Also, Leo winning events/matchups doesn't necessarily equal character strength more than it means PLAYER strength, as well as Marss/Nario's results not being a definitive indicator either.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I'm not in a trial in court here. Very little about this game is objective fact, in terms of tier placements. It's opinion based, and meta based.
At this point in the meta, Marth is not top tier. Nairo lost one game to Mkleo's Marth. That is insignificant.
Marss vs Pugwest, Marss eats Pug alive almost every time.
Mr E has a losing record vs ZSS overall, but the last time he played Nairo's Zss, Mr E won. That says a lot about Mr E's MU awareness.
Saying Marth out ranks Zss is discrediting Mr E's achievement in a bad MU.

Lately Mr E and Pugwest haven't done well at all, and there are no other high performing Marths.
Mr E was knocked out of this tourny by some random Olimar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeu4mdXFUfA
Mr E lost the last few tournaments he's played vs Venia, a greninja main, and even more so to John Numbers, who uses WFT.
Pugwest loses to Marss 9 times out of 10. Pug goes 50/50 vs Rafti, a Rob Main.
Mr E and Pug both drowned in pools at ZeRo Saga and Genesis 4.

MkLeo won Genesis 4 and ZeRo saga because he is one of the top 5 best players in the world right now. At that level, tiers really don't matter too much.
But they matter to everyone else though.

MkLeo lost a recent tournament - Midwest Mayhem Saga, that had Tweek and ZeRo - ZeRo won the tourny. MkLeo lost to Tweek, not sure who else he lost to.

If it wasn't for MkLeo, no one would have ever said Marth is top tier. Because he isn't.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121331583 At 11:42:00 Tweek shows Mkleo why Ryu is the better character.

Last edited:

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
MKLeo uses Cloud for certain matchups as well. Not sure if Pugwest or Mr. E ever really stray from Marth, but I'd be willing to bet Leo wouldn't place as high just using Marth.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Leo was not present at Midwest Mayhem Saga.
He was at Austin Is Really Feeling It, where he lost to Trela twice.
/nitpick

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
And you're saying ZSS is higher than Marth. SMH.
Ryu's results are gone.
Zss has no neutral anymore and Nairo now plays bowser more.
Trella isn't a top player, he doesn't even play the game much anymore, and he destroyed Mkleo's Marth with Ryu.
Also, Pugwest and Mr E have losing records vs zss. The other day Mr E lost to Marss, even though Mr E is much higher ranked player.
The set is based around Marth having to rely on very risky options while Zss comfortably camps, retreats easily, and is constant control of neutral.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DD9TuPVkwMg Mr E losing to Marss

Tier list is
Diddy
Bayonetta
Mario
Cloud
Ryu
Sheik
Rosaluma
Zss

Marth is somewhere below those characters, though its hard to say where, since he either goes even or loses vs so many MUs.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Trella isn't a top player, he doesn't even play the game much anymore, and he destroyed Mkleo's Marth with Ryu.
Also, Pugwest and Mr E have losing records vs zss. The other day Mr E lost to Marss, even though Mr E is much higher ranked player.
The set is based around Marth having to rely on very risky options while Zss comfortably camps, retreats easily, and is constant control of neutral.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DD9TuPVkwMg Mr E losing to Marss

Tier list is
Diddy
Bayonetta
Mario
Cloud
Ryu
Sheik
Rosaluma
Zss

Marth is somewhere below those characters, though its hard to say where, since he either goes even or loses vs so many MUs.
Forgot so many characters in that tier list, boi. ZSS still isn't top ten though

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I recommend you consider your behavior on smashboards, unless you want to get perma-banned. Just trying to help by giving you a heads up.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I recommend you consider your behavior on smashboards, unless you want to get perma-banned. Just trying to help by giving you a heads up.
Sorry I'm not a Mr. Serious no fun allowed facts only no opinions here kinda guy. I like to have an opinion and stick by it no matter the opposition.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Trela rocked Leo because Leo loves to overextend.

How does Ryu as a CHARACTER, neutralize Marth as a CHARACTER.

The answer is obvious.

Ryu does not. Period. You said Marth cannot approach? How does Ryu out footsie a character with superior walk speed, run speed, and aerial mobility?

Do not just swallow tourney results as truth. Analyze and understand.

Also ZSS is better than Marth

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Trela rocked Leo because Leo loves to overextend.

How does Ryu as a CHARACTER, neutralize Marth as a CHARACTER.

The answer is obvious.

Ryu does not. Period. You said Marth cannot approach? How does Ryu out footsie a character with superior walk speed, run speed, and aerial mobility?

Do not just swallow tourney results as truth. Analyze and understand.

Also ZSS is better than Marth
Similar to the Mario matchup, the MU is in Ryu's favor.

Marth is allowed to lose neutral maybe twice without losing a stock, and twice might be asking a lot.

Ryu and Mario can lose neutral over and over and over without losing their stock.

Marth HAS to retreat, which means that Ryu and Mario are in control of neutral. They can camp him out with projectiles.

And each neutral interaction is over split second decisions, often backing Marth into a corner at the ledge, where the spacing advantage disappears, or forcing him to approach, which he sucks at.

Ryu gets KOs infinitely easier than Marth, and Ryu's get KOs consistently between 50 and 100%, often closer to 50%.

I can't agree that the MU is 50/50, based on these facts. The neutral is controlled by Ryu and Ryu only has to win neutral a few times, vs a character with a bad approach game, is bad at landing, and has very long endlag on his attacks, so wiffing any attack is out of the question.

Also, Ryu absolutely has better aerial mobility than Marth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfdeQ9FmAII

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Ryu

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Marth

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
How does Ryu control neutral? Please break this down for me. I am humoring you because it isn't true but go ahead.

Ryu's projectile is 58 frames total and very large making it easy to swat. Try again.

And unlike Mario, Ryu is not rewarded in burst range with conversions.

So yea...your move.

As for FA, the move cannot be canceled until frame 26 and then Ryu commits to a direction. I would not call this tool particularly threatening. Especially when done out of a SH since he does not have time to hit a button before he hits the ground.

As for general air speed, yes Ryu wins but Ryu also commits entirely to his direction. He cannot pull back. He has FADC stuff but once he dashes that is it and if you see the dash you get a punish.

Marth has a clear advantage in footsies.

Hint: I did not actually say who wins or loses. You are arguing about a result that I never proclaimed. Try debating from the ground up with actual evidence and data.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I didn't say anything about who you claim wins or loses the MU.

I was talking about Ryu beating Marth in the MU, and I explained why. Nothing you said refutes the points I made about that, though I agree Ryu's projectile game is not great, it's still very difficult to deal with vs a good Ryu player who is good at camping when he needs to, or catching you committing to a jump or a move with it.

As I said, Marth has to constantly retreat, and if he loses neutral more than twice, he's probably done for. Ryu on the other hand can lose several times, and he doesn't die very early at all, like Sheik or Zss sometimes do.

Vs a good Ryu player, Marth's recovery is almost as exploitable as Ryu's.

l air speed, yes Ryu wins but Ryu also commits entirely to his direction. He cannot pull back. He has FADC stuff but once he dashes that is it and if you see the dash you get a punish.
That's assuming that the Ryu basically sucks at neutral. He isn't just going to throw braindead aerials at you. He can wait, bait out any of Marth's laggy moves, and get in before Marth can do anything about it, and if Marth manages to shield it, there's a good chance that Marth is still screwed because Ryu's hits are very safe on shield and he has a shieldbreaker that's stronger than Marth's, and actual setups into it.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Marcina struggles with landing and projectiles the most. On the surface, dair seems like a bad idea but she can actually throw it out while landing and, if you're careful, it can save you once or twice a matchup. So dair is still an option. Depending on who is juggling you and how low, reversing a sheild breaker can shift her momentum enough and might force the opponent to retreat or they could panick and throw up sheild. I mean it's not much but it's a solution.

MArcina powersheilding is the best approach for most projectiles. Apply pressure and don't commit yourself by dashing too much; also be careful about getting grabbed as you draw near, jumping at the end and rising with fair or nair helps Marcina

DariusM27

Smash Ace
"Ryu does good against the sword characters... he only loses to the very best characters like Sonic and Bayonetta...."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kugi1IhiIHc&t=9m50s

I think we can call the debate right there.

Throughout the video ZeRo basically said exactly what I've been saying. Marth has to retreat, if he stops camping even for a moment, he gets destroyed. If Marth loses neutral more than twice, it's over. If Marth wiffs a move, there's a good chance Ryu is getting in. Ryu gets KOs and earlier KOs more consistently than Marth.

Ryu definitely outranks Marth.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
ZeRo also said Ryu is the best in the game.

Results wise Marth has done more after his buffs then Ryu has done since release.

I wonder why.

Also why wouldn't you camp Ryu? You would be a fool to try to have an honest match with someone who is far more powerful physically.

Yes Ryu wrecks you if he manages to win neutral more then a few times. That is not Marth specific. That is not a flaw of Marth. It is a strength of Ryu. My point is that Ryu cannot FORCE Marth to do anything. His toolset does not work that way. If both chars hit a button at the same time most of the time Ryu will lose. Ryu cannot compete button to button. He has to straight up get Marth to commit. Which Marth doesnt really NEED to do. The key is to always be aware of that.

Look at when Trela got his hits in. Did Ryu straight up beat Marth in neutral? Or did Trela simply...bet it all when he did go in and hope the risk vs reward would work out for him? And honestly did Leo lose because he was outplayed or because he just did silly things and didn't punish hard enough. Most of the time Trela lost neutral clean and leo gave up alot of free punishes. I mean at one point Trela did a FADC TOWARDS MARTH ON THE GROUND. Leo did nothing. He just let him do it.

I mean...you call that optimal play?

Because I do not.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I never liked basing Matchups and tier lists purely off results for a multitude of reasons. For one, was MKLeo playing his best? Was Trela hitting a good streak? More importantly, MKLeo only tried his Marth a few times against Trela's Ryu before he used some secondaries.

That beaing said, I think Marth and Lucina go even against Ryu. Ryu has fewer options available to him. Marth and Lucina have better movement and can follow Ryu's options better. I would agree that Ryu doesn't share most character's fate at losing to sword characters but I don't think he really wins against Marth and Lucina either.

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
Replying to Emblem Lord, I believe one of ZeRo's newest videos has him saying that Bayonetta (Payonetta) is the best character in the game.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
ZeRo's opinions should never be considered an argument weapon.
Not because they are good or bad, simply because you are not presenting a point and just trying to get behind someone else and pretend they'll have more weight than you would.

ANYWAY.

Marth shouldn't lose the matchup at all.
Ryu can't really get into Marth's "bubble" if he is spacing properly. I may elaborate later tonight on the matter.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Not because they are good or bad, simply because you are not presenting a point and just trying to get behind someone else and pretend they'll have more weight than you would.

ANYWAY.

Ryu can't really get into Marth's "bubble" if he is spacing properly. I may elaborate later tonight on the matter.
But he is right about Yoshi, yoshi is top tier.
>(D)23
TOP TIER!
But in all seriousness, if Ryu gets in, he does a LOT of damage, problem is getting in against Marth in the first place...
Just my 2 cents on problem at hand

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet

ANYWAY.

ZeRo's opinions can be used as an argument, but they should never be used solely as an argument. An argument that is just regurgitated from another isn't effective, because it will never be in the exact same context. (P.S. Top level players' opinions often have more weight behind them than a newbie's who just got into Smash.)

TL:DR If using someone else's opinion, use it to support your own.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Wha...Coulda sworn it was him. The post was succinct and very direct.

It's cool tho. Kyo is awesome too.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And here I thought my purple font and my Espeon would help me be identified. Guess not. Not changing my ways tho.

Oh right, what was the point of this thread again?

Marth has a good share of problems as a character, but safety is NOT one of those problems. Opponents will have a hard time getting into his zone if Marth plays his cards adequately, so even if his negatives can be abused pretty badly once he gets there, there's first a whole lot of Customs Agency before getting the gold.

Top Bottom