• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Stabbing Shield Breaker returns from Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shudouken

Smash Rookie

Same Motion, purple lines behind Marth.

I can live with it if it comes out faster this time, maybe the power boost makes it worthwhile too

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Interesting observation, but this is the wrong place to post.

I'll move it to the Marth sub-forum on the character discussion boards.

Commander

Smash Ace
Marth is lunging forward even more so now. We already knew Falchion was at its Melee length but, so this must reach really far out. This Shield Breaker seems like it is going to be a lot of fun.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
It's neat that they use the stabbing one again also nice to see it in action. Hmm... you can see some clipping in the pic. Marth's scabbard goes right into his leg.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth is lunging forward even more so now. We already knew Falchion was at its Melee length but, so this must reach really far out. This Shield Breaker seems like it is going to be a lot of fun.
Marth lunges pretty far forward in Brawl, the comparison picture isn't necessarily the same 'point' in the animation. We won't really know until we see it in game if its stretching more forward or anything like that.

Also where has this whole 'melee falchion length' thing even come from? Speculation based off of pictures? I'm hyped for the possibility of him having longer reach comparatively than he did in Brawl, but I'm not willing to state any of it as matter-of-fact.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
The image of him using Dancing Blade on Arena Ferox made it look very long and the image wasn't angled at all. Also there was the white board image where Falchion goes off screen.

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
Maybe it'll actually be used to break shields now. Power buff + (maybe) increased range? Sounds like shielding is a really scary prospect against him now. Like a 'time your roll/sidestep perfectly or you are getting either stabbed or shield broken' kind of scary. Try and jump or aerial? Stab. Try and grab? Stab. Stay in shield? Break. Wavedash OOS? Unless it's Luigi that's a stab. Mistime your roll? Stab or break. That's a scary amount of coverage. And all it takes is good spacing and timing, which Marth should have anyway? On the minus side it probably will be pretty punishable should you miss, and unless the hit boxes are really wide it won't be nearly as good an edge guard / aerial finisher. Ah well, there's always f-smash and n-air.

If it's fast enough wouldn't it make approaching aerials safer? Try and shield grab and you might get shield broken.

On the subject of range: if we think his old attack range is coming back does that include the old robot hands? I miss grabbing people a character-length away.

Anyone notice the weird effect going on around the shield? Not only the distortion, the weird white swirl on the shield itself. Also what is Marth's body doing? His torso looks... deformed. :c

Commander

Smash Ace
He hit Lucario's double team not his shield. That's why the area is being swirled.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It was a terribly under-utilized move in brawl. It ALMOST resembled a command grab in that it was something that you could land with to potentially beat shield. It was also his best ranged move. I'm glad it's back, I enjoyed both versions of the move.

Sakurai confirmed that its even stronger on shield this time which is just ridiculous. I can't wait.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It kind of remembers me that 50% of the times I went for a DB it got Powershielded.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It makes more sense for it to be a stab, what with Marth's whole dangerous sword tip thing.
I want it to make the Mr. Saturn noise when it hits a shield, but that will never happen.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm glad it's in the stab form. I disliked it in Brawl mostly because it was bad at what it was supposed to do, but if it will still create momentum, then that along with the buff makes it plenty useful.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The charged swing is more effective for edgeguarding. I think it'll be possible to switch into this move via customisable moves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guess slightly so. But the move was never too reliable anyway. Sure it represents Marth better, but the swing is just a better functioning move. Not that Forward Smash isn't a great edgeguard or anything...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Sakurai stated in one of the PotDs that Marth's Shield Breaker will be more effective at breaking shields.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well that's a great buff already I feel. Almost forgot about it.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
As a veteran Marth main in Melee, I'll miss his old sword swing.

But then again, maybe this time it'll actually break shields and become useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom