• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Psychological Game

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Introduction
To start, I'd like to explain the importance of psychology in Smash. Your opponent's mind IS fundamentally, your only challenge. His character, the inputs he puts in, and the movements on screen are all merely an extension of his mind. The game is merely the interface you are challenging him through. Your goal, in every match, is essentially to overcome your opponent's mind. Because his mind is the root of his gameplay, working that to your advantage should be a goal. In this article, I'll explain how you can use Marth's various moves and tactics to warp or "condition" your opponent into disadvantageous positions.

The Pillars of Psychological Gaming
Fear, Failure and Arrogance are the three most important traits you can use against an opponent. Each have very negative effects on gameplay and are usually trained to be removed from players mindsets. However, careful and intelligent use of moves can cause these traits to surface with a powerful effect.

Fear deals with the aspects of intimidation and superiority. If your opponent is afraid, he is more likely to act predictably and with less careful thought. Shaking at the roots of gameplay that are normally unexplored and not understood are what cause fear. This includes doing "flashy" things, or merely causing early kills. Also, having a good "rep" causes fear, but this is an aspect that one merely aquires, but does not truly build in a match.

Failure deal with the aspects of security and confidence. When your opponent is filled with failure, he is less likely to experiment and branch of into new territory, making him predictable. Denying basic techniques and advances cause failure. Not allowing your opponent to hit you, or constantly recovering from devastating blows are good ways to cause this feeling.

Arrogance deals with confidence and superiority. An overconfident opponent will be more predictable because he believes his current strategy is made of pure win. Feigning signs of Fear and Failure in your own actions will cause arrogance. This is an extremely delicate and hard mindgame to pull off, because it requires good acting and sacrifice on your behalf.

Based on these three pillars, one can analyze Marth's moveset and create strategies that don't just attack your opponents character, but his very moral and psychology as well. By doing this, you can cause your opponent to act in a manner that you can counter with greater effectiveness and hopefully give you an edge.

Fear: Panic is a Poor Muse
Striking fear into your opponent is something that is rather easy to do. On a low level, fear can merely manifest into cautious or careful play. On the other extreme, fear can cause outright panic and cause your opponent to do inexplicable things. Thats good for you!

Well induced fear requires denying a basic instinct that your opponent is doing, and making that action taboo, either by countering it completely, or making it completely ineffective. Basic things, like shielding are a good place to start, but even the most basic concept -staying on stage- is the best place to attack.

Primary Fear Inducers:
Shieldbreaker
Forward Smash

These moves are your best tools for inducing fear because of the devastating effect they cause. Shieldbreaker destroys shields. People feel SAFE in shields, but when you deny them that safety, you start messing with the very base of their defensive game. Once you have established the fear of shielding, your opponent's defensive actions become far more predictable and more importantly, punishable.

Forward Smash is devastating because it kills at low %'s when tippered. Even the big boys like DDD and Bowzer can die under 100% due to this move. Many people in the community ALREADY fear this move because of Melee, and continue to do so in this game. Throwing out a F-Smash whenever it can connect will not be effective in this game, however. This move require delicate usage. If you DON'T hit with the tip, a LOT of it fear presence is diminished. Landing this move early, like right after a early grab, will remind your opponent that you can kill early, and thus make him worried about laggy attacks and getting close. That fear will cause him to play with less risk and aggression and make him easier to manage.

Secondary Fear Inducers:
Dancing Blade
Down Tilt

Both of these techniques punish defensive play, poking into your opponents "safe zone". The more you can poke at that safe zone, the more fear will be induced into your opponent. D-tilt weary shields, and Dancing Blade spot dodging opponents to making him almost completely terrified of doing any defensive maneuvering. You'd be surprised how effective this is.

Failure: The Depressing Teacher
Failure is a powerful way to make your opponent frustrated. By denying success, you can convince your opponent that his effort are futile and ineffective, forcing him into newer, less experienced territory that is unfamiliar to him.

Failure is created by throwing up "Brick Walls"; impossible obstacles that have no apparent weaknesses. You, of course, KNOW that there is a weakness, but the trick is making sure your opponent doesn't know that. Marth is easily the best character for doing this, with several moves that will completely deny your opponent the ability to land a hit when played properly.

Primary Failure Inducers:
Counter
Dolphin Slash

Counter is the failure inducing machine. If you can successfully Counter every offense that your opponent throws at you, not only are you a god, but probably should be playing in the MLG. ;) On a serious note though, consistently Countering a specific strategy is extremely potent. Often, players have one or two "pillars" or play, that become predictable. When you recognize these pillars, Counter can shut them down consistently. By denying these tried and true methods of your opponents play, you can make them feel like their strategy is ineffective, filling them with doubt. That doubt often translates into sloppy play, which you can punish and gain advantages from.

Dolphin Slash is amazingly awesome in its ability to deny and frustrate an opponent. With invincibility's frames, killer knockback and crazy fast activation, you can essentially break almost any combo. You can also punish any predicted action. This is a huge boon to you as a player. If you can predict the action, this move can punish it. Essentially, with smart play and this move, you CAN be untouchable. Against aggressive foes, you can merely stand on one spot and consistently halt advances, filling your opponent with frustration, doubt and failure, compounding his sloppy play and intensifying mistakes.

Secondary Failure Inducers:
Forward Air
Forward Tilt

These moves can deny your opponent approaches and can create walls of priority that your opponent will have an interesting time trying to surpass. Also, these moves allow you can prevent your opponent from using projectiles against you, bolstering your "untouchable" appearance, increasing the feeling of failure in your opponent. Use them.

Arrogance: Letting them Win (Or so they think...)
We've all met that player, the one that think he is the King of Smash and is practically untouchable. And, we all have probably met one that is arrogant AND refuses to realize he is NOT the King, regardless of how many times he has lost. Even yet, we've probably all played one that is arrogant AND better than us. The key to playing these players is not to cure them of there arrogance, but to use it against them as a tool of victory.

I bring this emotion into play, because arrogant players are common AND they happen to be immune to fear and failure. That's what being arrogant is all about. Because I like to wage psychological warfare against my foes, I had to learn how to use this against them. And it proved to be simple enough. Arrogant players love to win, be int he process of winning, and thinking of winning. So what do you do to take this to your advantage? Let them win (or let them think they are...)

Primary Arrogance Inducers:
Whiffed Jabs and Tilts
Dancing Blade

This is the truly conniving part of psychological warfare, faking. Making yourself LOOK vulnerable when you really aren't is a hard thing to do. Marth happens to be blessed with techniques RICH in IASA frames and variable timings. Jabs and tilts both can be released at varying rates. Because of this, you can condition an opponent to believe you don't know of these IASA frame, baiting him into attack hastily to take advantage of the lag frames. However, in that hasty attack, you can counter with an IASA'd tilt, Smash or Dolphin Slash. This will only work once or twice a match, but the techniques you can land; mainly tippered F-Smashes, are too powerful to ignore. Faking lag is an amazingly powerful mind-game.

Dancing Blade is the best move in the game. Seriously. The move itself is a mind-game. Feigning poor Dancing Blade control is PURE EVIL. Try making it look like you can only pull two off. Your opponent will realize this, and try to take advantage of the lag, where you can surprisingly pull off the last two hits of the combo. Obviously, this only works once, maybe twice. But Dancing Blade can also be timed differently so that aggressive opponent may drop shields and flub dodges in order to attack you. Against arrogant opponents, this is often easy to bait, and surprisingly effective.

Secondary Arrogance Inducers:
Whiffed Forward Airs/Neutral Airs
Retreating Backward Airs

Make no mistake, Marth can fake out in the air too. We all know the speed of N-air and F-air, and most opponents do to. However, arrogant opponents are quite willing to drop shields to hit you if they think they can. Fool them with odd spacing and provoke an attack. Make them THINK you won't attack. I often whiff N-airs, shield or spot dodge when I hit the ground. Opponent read this, think your predictable, when really, my shield is hiding a Dolphin Slash to the face to the potential grabber. Bait with them. ^^

Conclusions
Psychology is a POWERFUL weapon in this game, or any game for that manner. Being able to utilize these techniques in your matches can give you an advantage that is rarely discussed or practiced. I hope that this guide will compel you to explore this interesting and deep aspect of mind-gaming.

Happy Smashing

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
pretty valid words i might want to main Marth again since he my secondary character. oh and what does IASA stand for i probably forgot

Smash Apprentice
A spike, while hard to do, can also certainly induce large amounts of fear and failure in an opponent. Not only are they nervous every single time you get them off the edge, but if you succeed at killing them at low percentages, you can cause them to feel failure, too. As a result, they focus everything on staying on the stage, and not on what you are doing.

Another way to play with your opponents head is to dodge everything they throw at you, without attacking. Making them feel as if they can't hit you is a great way to make them feel failure. However, this needs to be done with care as well as with skill, because you could easily be seen as being arrogant. Note that this is very hard to pull off, as it means dodging all of your opponents attacks, but the reward is also nice.

Another thing - try not teching when you don't need to. Act like it's hard for you, or you don't know about it. Then, whip it out when they don't expect it.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
A spike, while hard to do, can also certainly induce large amounts of fear and failure in an opponent. Not only are they nervous every single time you get them off the edge, but if you succeed at killing them at low percentages, you can cause them to feel failure, too. As a result, they focus everything on staying on the stage, and not on what you are doing.

Another way to play with your opponents head is to dodge everything they throw at you, without attacking. Making them feel as if they can't hit you is a great way to make them feel failure. However, this needs to be done with care as well as with skill, because you could easily be seen as being arrogant. Note that this is very hard to pull off, as it means dodging all of your opponents attacks, but the reward is also nice.

Another thing - try not teching when you don't need to. Act like it's hard for you, or you don't know about it. Then, whip it out when they don't expect it.
Yaaaaaaay! Suggestions! ^^

I was wondering when I was going to be seeing actual discussion on the matter. Thank you. ^^

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
This is an awesome guide!

I would like to note an aerial recovery Shield Breaker as a fear option. When you're off stage, and youropponent's trying to gimp you,, and you're kind of high up, feel free to charge a Shield Breaker. This will create a sensation of fear onto your opponent. Either this will keep the opponent away from you, or they get hit by the move because in the attempt to gimp Marth's recovery, they're too scared to
1) Hit Marth with a move due to Shield Breaker's long range, but they've jumped to attempt it
2) Too scared to move, because of the charging "illusion"

It's a bit hard to explain, but it happens in a Kizzu vs Ryota match (Marth vs Ike; Smashville), where Ike jump off the stage to pursue a recovering Marth, in which Marth returns the favor by tossing in a fully charged Shield Breaker at Ike's face.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Great guide, speaking of which I should probably work on my Snake guide more.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I think this applies here as well. As a supplement to your arrogance section, I find that shield breaker is quite hard to punish from a distance. Although it could work as a brick wall.

(I feel this works especially well in Marth dittos.) When a considerable distance (length of 5-8 Marios?) from an opponent, charge up shield breaker. As the attack comes to an end, your opponent will try to rush in, that is where they get a fsmash or a dolphin slashed to the face. It's surprising how little lag there is on the end.

Well better start working on the Snake guide; I hope this was remotely helpful.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
One of the best uses for shieldbreaker I've found is to combine an opponents desire to shieldgrab your fairs and nairs with the range of a shorthopped shieldbreaker. :)

Also, shieldbreaker can be lunged forward from a shorthop backward-just like the "waveblade" in the emblem lord's topic. Run at someone, watch them shield, shorthop back and lunge back in. xD

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
You know we may not have a definitive champion on the tourney scene yet for Marth, but we honestly have some of the best guide writers and most intelligent discussion on these character boards. I really enjoyed the guide Great Work!

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
You know we may not have a definitive champion on the tourney scene yet for Marth, but we honestly have some of the best guide writers and most intelligent discussion on these character boards. I really enjoyed the guide Great Work!
Glad you liked it. ^^

Hopefully Ken shows us all how its done at EVO, then we'll have our champion. =D

SagePrime

Smash Cadet
Another thing with Marth is that you can use shield breaker as a recovery. I find that it often makes my opponenets angry when i am at a higher percent and they land a hit on me that sends me flying high into the air, then i charge up my shield breaker and release it sending myself right over them because they thought all they had to do was a simple edgeguard.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
WOW i was really thinking on doing a guide like this but thanks fish:) if it was done by me it wouldnt have been nearly as good
anyway wenever i succesfuly hit with shieldbreaker i never saw anyone shield again for like 2 mins and i become as agressive as marth can be. which is good because the opponement gets scared of attacking back and using his techniques

crazn137

Smash Journeyman

Hopefully Ken shows us all how its done at EVO, then we'll have our champion. =D
I'd personally love to see Ken complete destroy the competition at EVO, but I want to see Emblem Lord out there too! I have no doubt that people are going to see what Marth is capable of when they see Ken play, but having EL out there would be great too. He's written so many strategy guides and given advice to so many people, so it would be pretty cool seeing him play :chuckle:

And great guide, definitely going to see what happens when I combine my play style with the advice in your guide. :bee:

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
I think you forget about a very very important aspect in the mind games: Angriness. But still awesome guide *back to master dolphin slash*.

BTW: Dolphins are considerated the rapers of the sea, no wonder why marth chose that name XD, that wise prince.

Smash Apprentice
Another thing that could possibly induce arrogance is acting like you can't short hop. If your opponent sees this they will be overconfident, and hopefully slip up (on the other hand, it's so vital that not SH'ing could be, uh, bad.)

I do agree with alchfilosofer in that anger can also be a potent weapon. Consistently doing an annoying move can anger your opponent, thus clouding their mind. Laughing hystericly while doing certainly helps. Just be careful, because physical violence is not what we are looking for here (and it would throw off your own game).

I think we should all use the force and randomly float the wii across the screen. The ultimate fear inducer.

Noctournez

Smash Cadet
This guide was extremely helpful. I have the same problem too, when I lose match after match, my gameplay usually gets very sloppy. Also, could you mind explaining IASA for us who don't know?

Also, another mind-game that could be put in with the fear section:
If you've overpowered your opponent, and maybe want to toy around with him, keep inputting the first move of Marth's Dancing Blade, wait for the lag, then input it again, so you keep doing the first hit. I find this effective, and usually allows me to gimp them with a forward smash.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Also, could you mind explaining IASA for us who don't know?
IASA stands for Interrupt As Soon As, meaning that moves can be interupted before the animation is over. Some moves like Marth's D-tilt, can be cancelled by another action well before the animation is over.

If that doesn't explain it, well... look it up? Im sure its in a glossary somewhere! xD

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
This guide was extremely helpful. I have the same problem too, when I lose match after match, my gameplay usually gets very sloppy. Also, could you mind explaining IASA for us who don't know?

Also, another mind-game that could be put in with the fear section:
If you've overpowered your opponent, and maybe want to toy around with him, keep inputting the first move of Marth's Dancing Blade, wait for the lag, then input it again, so you keep doing the first hit. I find this effective, and usually allows me to gimp them with a forward smash.
Use smash wiki (the star whit "wiki" written at the top of the page). There is an exact explanation and for MANY MANY MANY more smash terms and skills.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Great guide. I absolutely loved it. Thank you for solidifying my thoughts on the matter. Helped my game a lot. =]

And I just want to add, thought it's not an integral part of marth's game, not letting your opponent touch the ground(i.e. juggling) is a killer to one's confidence. I think it might be worth making a note of it in the failure section. If they can't touch the ground, they are limited to the use of 5 attacks(and a variable number of specials) and like two methods of dodging(DI and air dodge), and loose the ability to walk, run, use ground attacks, tilts, smashes, AND their second jump(and for some like R.O.B. their up+b). This can be devastating to the psyche when pulled off. Even after they land, they are fearful of being juggled again and might avoid getting above you(for a utilt, usmash or uair).

Another thing. Walking. Especially against projectile spam that can be destroyed with a ftilt. Usually it seems stupid at first, but if you can break all of those projectiles, the camper gets fearful. You suddenly become the giant looming over them, slowly approaching and they can't do anything about it. When you're running, dodging lessons the effect as opposed to actually CANCELING our the projectile spam. I would also include doing the same but with perfect shielding here.

On a contrary note, I think you're missing a very important section. What you do that LESSONS the psychological attacks. For example, missing your attacks makes them feel safe. This lessons the failure factor. Thought i may increase their arrogance a bit, this will only be done with proper moderation(it's hard as you said). Controlled, missed attacks will build up arrogance and that is fine. Uncontrolled throwing of attacks means that they will be launching psychological warfare against YOU. But that's just an example. Another example of something not to do would be letting them get too close. While hitting untippered shots is useful at times, being able to force your opponent to realize that you outrange them on almost every a attack they have makes them scared to try and get close to you. But those are just some examples. I'm sure you can come up with better ones.

But great guide. Thanks again.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Great guide. I absolutely loved it. Thank you for solidifying my thoughts on the matter. Helped my game a lot. =]

And I just want to add, thought it's not an integral part of marth's game, not letting your opponent touch the ground(i.e. juggling) is a killer to one's confidence. I think it might be worth making a note of it in the failure section. If they can't touch the ground, they are limited to the use of 5 attacks(and a variable number of specials) and like two methods of dodging(DI and air dodge), and loose the ability to walk, run, use ground attacks, tilts, smashes, AND their second jump(and for some like R.O.B. their up+b). This can be devastating to the psyche when pulled off. Even after they land, they are fearful of being juggled again and might avoid getting above you(for a utilt, usmash or uair).

Another thing. Walking. Especially against projectile spam that can be destroyed with a ftilt. Usually it seems stupid at first, but if you can break all of those projectiles, the camper gets fearful. You suddenly become the giant looming over them, slowly approaching and they can't do anything about it. When you're running, dodging lessons the effect as opposed to actually CANCELING our the projectile spam. I would also include doing the same but with perfect shielding here.

On a contrary note, I think you're missing a very important section. What you do that LESSONS the psychological attacks. For example, missing your attacks makes them feel safe. This lessons the failure factor. Thought i may increase their arrogance a bit, this will only be done with proper moderation(it's hard as you said). Controlled, missed attacks will build up arrogance and that is fine. Uncontrolled throwing of attacks means that they will be launching psychological warfare against YOU. But that's just an example. Another example of something not to do would be letting them get too close. While hitting untippered shots is useful at times, being able to force your opponent to realize that you outrange them on almost every a attack they have makes them scared to try and get close to you. But those are just some examples. I'm sure you can come up with better ones.

But great guide. Thanks again.

Your points are duly noted and will probably be including tommorow night. ;)

feardragon64

Smash Champion

Your points are duly noted and will probably be including tommorow night. ;)
Wow you respond fast. If we were in game I'd call you a camper =b

/badjoke

Anyways, I thought of a few more things I thought might be worth consideration(or at least touching upon).

Release grabs. I know it's not something you really need to go in depth on, but it has affected the community greatly(i.e. the drop in lucas and ness players). Not only that but according to 2ndsteel's thread about the jump release grabs, against some characters there are some pretty useful guaranteed hits you can pull off. I don't think I have to make note of what to say about the lucas and ness release chain grabs, but for the others it's another way to make an opponent feel failure for not being able to escape it. Repeating one of those guaranteed hits makes them feel worse for getting hit by the same thing multiple times even though it's predictable.

From that, I think just being able to hit someone with a deemed "predictable" attack continuously is a huge downer on the moral. The metaphorical brick wall is up, but only now it's not only stopping them from attacking, but the brick wall is attacking them!(metaphorically speaking) They feel stupid for letting themselves succumb to the same stupid tactic repeatedly and become fearful because of their failure. Hey I used both words there. :laugh:

And a final note about the ken talk. I'm sorry but I'm a firm believer that ken is going to try and pull whatever amazing thing is supposed to dazzle us and then get hit by the randomized bomb-omb spawn. It's got nothing to do with his skill. Item matches just aren't the best place to show your amazing skills...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Best guide I've read in a while. Props to you good sir.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Wow you respond fast. If we were in game I'd call you a camper =b

/badjoke
Still made me laugh. ;) I like to be prompt.

Anyways, I thought of a few more things I thought might be worth consideration(or at least touching upon).

Release grabs. I know it's not something you really need to go in depth on, but it has affected the community greatly(i.e. the drop in lucas and ness players). Not only that but according to 2ndsteel's thread about the jump release grabs, against some characters there are some pretty useful guaranteed hits you can pull off. I don't think I have to make note of what to say about the lucas and ness release chain grabs, but for the others it's another way to make an opponent feel failure for not being able to escape it. Repeating one of those guaranteed hits makes them feel worse for getting hit by the same thing multiple times even though it's predictable.

From that, I think just being able to hit someone with a deemed "predictable" attack continuously is a huge downer on the moral. The metaphorical brick wall is up, but only now it's not only stopping them from attacking, but the brick wall is attacking them!(metaphorically speaking) They feel stupid for letting themselves succumb to the same stupid tactic repeatedly and become fearful because of their failure. Hey I used both words there. :laugh:
It would work, it really adds to the "untouchable" aspect. Constantly having your attacks turn into a guarenteed grab->throw->whatever would be demoralizing and would elevate your godly aspect. I love screwing with people's heads!

And a final note about the ken talk. I'm sorry but I'm a firm believer that ken is going to try and pull whatever amazing thing is supposed to dazzle us and then get hit by the randomized bomb-omb spawn. It's got nothing to do with his skill. Item matches just aren't the best place to show your amazing skills...
I've actually commented on this in another thread. The funniest part is, if some amazing pro like KEN gets screwed by a item spawn, the EVO guys will merely state that that pro isn't pro at Brawl, and that his lack of "stage control" or whatever they call it, is what cost him the match, not the obviously broken items allowed.

Hopefully Ken remembers the early days of Melee and pulls out his item playing game. I can't WAIT to see him combo into Marth's broken Final Smash!

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
wow i think i had goosebumps while reading this. everything here makes sense. awesome guide. one question though, what's RICH?

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
In melee(and in brawl I suppose) I was never the most technically heavy player, however I was known for being a heavy mindgame player and I will complement you for writing an excellent guide.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
is it possible to make one of these for Ike it would help?
and i do not see why you can't

First off, I haven't played Ike in a tournament, or even in a serious friendly, for well over a month. My knowledge of his moves, and there psychological effects is lackluster at best.

Though, Ike is a character that absolutely spews out fear. All of his attacks can cause KO's, making players more cautious around him. He also causes a lot of arrogance in people because he is slow and easy to punish. However, his ability to set up brick walls is... sadly non-existent.

I may consider doing this, but I highly doubt it. Ike doesn't draw me the same way he used to.

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
This is an amazing guide, thanks I'll be sure to use some of this stuff.

I also agree with the 'Anger', or at least a sub-category 'Annoyance.' Annoy somebody to the point where they completely drop all defensive tactics and do whatever they can to destroy you, but of course that wouldn't work because we're smart and we would shield grab them or something. :laugh:

I don't know if it would work, it just sounds like it would. :bee:

comboking

Smash Master
First off, I haven't played Ike in a tournament, or even in a serious friendly, for well over a month. My knowledge of his moves, and there psychological effects is lackluster at best.

Though, Ike is a character that absolutely spews out fear. All of his attacks can cause KO's, making players more cautious around him. He also causes a lot of arrogance in people because he is slow and easy to punish. However, his ability to set up brick walls is... sadly non-existent.

I may consider doing this, but I highly doubt it. Ike doesn't draw me the same way he used to.
actually I was going to make one. but I was asking if it would be anything like this. Could it be?

null55

Smash Master
Lol, nice to see you again Nel. I thought you left Smashboards, but it was just the Ike boards. Good choice...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I argue the point (no pun intended) that when Marth uses DS, he is not slicing them, but slapping them across the face with the broad side of the blade, just to show them how much they screwed up in letting their guard down.

Top Bottom