• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marths leading the favorite character/main poll

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
It seems like when the game first came out marth was totally overlooked and now everyone is picking up on him, I know I certainly overlooked him.

At first I was kind of glad but now im not sure, it was kind of a little secret that marth still=****.

So as and if this trend continues do you think marth will climb up the tiers? And do you think we are gradually going to run into more marth players?

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
well some people say that but not everyone, I just see him be coming more of a certainity, like how snake and meta or almost always at the top.

zaf

Smash Lord
Marth was always at the top considering how much he owned in melee. Most people believed he would be the same and would play the same style. Which is some what true. I'm not saying he is the same, im just saying he was always on top, possibly because of melee.

However, meta knight and snake have done a lot of climbing to be in their current location. Both of them were very overlooked.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
^ya so what im saying is marth going to do the same?

I dont think the tier will stay meta/snake forever..

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Math has actually gone down a little in popularity. Remember that both M2K and Ken were playing marth in the beginning and since then he's been abandoned by all the high level pros.

I also think that MK and snake rose so much because so many people started playing them because they're really different and new, and this gave way to a lot of new strategies and tactics. Marth started out being considered the best character, even broken by M2K and I feel like he's actually fallen a bit, although still top tier, just not god tier like it seemed at first.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
Marth is too easily camped. Before anyone says MK is easier to camp, he's the only character in game with a decent approach because of his low lag. Marth isn't going to make it

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Being top tier has one disadvantage, people develope better tactics to beat them, low tiers on the other hand, are ingored.
This also means the character won't be getting much attention to in the metagame and therefore less tactics will be discovered compared to the higher ones.

Oh and Ike says hi :D

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Marth is broken in so many ways, and he doesn't have any real true cheap damage setups (besides the infinite against Lucas and Ness). If u don't believe me, there is a thread on this on this board. Oh, and he still has decent approach techniques against campers.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Marth is too easily camped. Before anyone says MK is easier to camp, he's the only character in game with a decent approach because of his low lag. Marth isn't going to make it
Marth does fine against projectiles. He can SH, fair them, full jump, double jump, SHAD, powershield, lots of things. Notice that all of these tactics put marth in the air, which is perfect for him.

It makes his game a little more difficult to play and there's a steeper learning curve but once you get past the projectiles marth can destroy just about anyone in the game if he spaces well and plays smart (which takes practice and experience that not everybody has with him). He is really just harder to play than most characters and requires a different level of concentration IMO and as such, hes not as easy to pick up and do well with compared to somebody like MK.

Marth is most likely going to be top tier. He is incredibly fast, has great range, and every move he has can kill. He has so many options that a true marth pro should be terrifying to any opponent. He just doesn't get the same attention by not being a new "designer" character like MK or Snake.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
You know nothing about Marth and his capabilities.

He isn't quite as lag free as Metaknight, but has way more kill potential, and has very unique abilities, including momentum stoppers, invincibility frames, shieldbreakers and two C-C-Combo breakers that work better than airdodges. Marth easily has the second best approach in this game, but has far better defensive options than Metaknight. In fact, I would rival his defensive options even surpass Snake, they are just widely ignored and underused.

I personally think that Marth will be the best character in the game. Seriously, I see much more potential in him than Snake or Metaknight. He is a character that has the offensive aggresivenss of Metaknight, but can keep himself from dieing to much greater extent. His unique shield pressuring and dodge punishing game is also very important in a game that many believe is dominated by defensive tactics.

But I seem to be pretty alone in this stance. Thats okay though. ^^

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Marth does fine against projectiles. He can SH, fair them, full jump, double jump, SHAD, powershield, lots of things. Notice that all of these tactics put marth in the air, which is perfect for him.

It makes his game a little more difficult to play and there's a steeper learning curve but once you get past the projectiles marth can destroy just about anyone in the game if he spaces well and plays smart (which takes practice and experience that not everybody has with him). He is really just harder to play than most characters and requires a different level of concentration IMO and as such, hes not as easy to pick up and do well with compared to somebody like MK.

Marth is most likely going to be top tier. He is incredibly fast, has great range, and every move he has can kill. He has so many options that a true marth pro should be terrifying to any opponent. He just doesn't get the same attention by not being a new "designer" character like MK or Snake.

i totally agree with everything you have just said :p explained very nicely :]

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
You know nothing about Marth and his capabilities.

He isn't quite as lag free as Metaknight, but has way more kill potential, and has very unique abilities, including momentum stoppers, invincibility frames, shieldbreakers and two C-C-Combo breakers that work better than airdodges. Marth easily has the second best approach in this game, but has far better defensive options than Metaknight. In fact, I would rival his defensive options even surpass Snake, they are just widely ignored and underused.

I personally think that Marth will be the best character in the game. Seriously, I see much more potential in him than Snake or Metaknight. He is a character that has the offensive aggresivenss of Metaknight, but can keep himself from dieing to much greater extent. His unique shield pressuring and dodge punishing game is also very important in a game that many believe is dominated by defensive tactics.

But I seem to be pretty alone in this stance. Thats okay though. ^^

you are so not alone LMAO you also explained it very nicely xD

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman

I personally think that Marth will be the best character in the game.
You are not alone. He just has so many more options than other characters and he can adapt better than anybody. He can shot hop aerials, dancing blade is just amazing, he stops chain grabs with his upB, SHIELDBREAKER, the list goes on and on... IMO a good marth can outplay a good MK 90% of the time.

It's hard to get good with him, but once you do, he can also be one of the funnest characters to play

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
. Before anyone says MK is easier to camp, he's the only character in game with a decent approach because of his low lag. Marth isn't going to make it

MK is the ONLY character in the game with a good approach?

um no...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I think marth wins a lot of titles because of his ablility to deal with virtually any tactic. He has no projectile nor reflector yet easily deals with those who do. Without their grabs, the space animals (maybe not wolf), Dedede, and Ice Climbers are crippled. Marth can kill an opponent without grabbing them once. Even if you just look at flashiness in killing, Marth has the most sexy kills hands down. Someone should give marth a crown to replace the headband (or "tiara" if you will) he already wears for being downright awesome.

zaf

Smash Lord
If anyone has seen the anime of fire emblem, while trying to run away, Marth's sister places her tiara on marths head and asks him to take care of it.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I think marth wins a lot of titles because of his ablility to deal with virtually any tactic. He has no projectile nor reflector yet easily deals with those who do. Without their grabs, the space animals (maybe not wolf), Dedede, and Ice Climbers are crippled. Marth can kill an opponent without grabbing them once. Even if you just look at flashiness in killing, Marth has the most sexy kills hands down. Someone should give marth a crown to replace the headband (or "tiara" if you will) he already wears for being downright awesome.
He doesn't even need a crown, he's a total bad *** mother f***er, even with a tiara

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Who am I? For all intensive purposes, I'm a nobody. Haven't attended any major offline tournaments, yet.

My job in real life involves in-depth analysis, in the Information Technology department. What does this mean? I'm paid to be smart and understand things. So hopefully that buys me some credit.

Who do I main? Meta Knight. I'm always picking him apart down to levels so deep I'll never need to know such information.

So what is my point?

Take it from me; also knowing I main MK (for whatever that matters to you):

MARTH IS UNDER-RATED.

Give it time and dedicated players and everyone will see this.

That is all. Good day, peeps!

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well my theory is that all the ikers now have ike as their secondary and some of them moved marth as their main since they believe that ike is a better secondary than main

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
Well I think he has a great game against MK, too, specifically because of this http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1XMOLixxjA that's also because MK has no projectiles. I guess we'll see how exactly he does when camped after a lot more tourneys. There's a reason M2K dropped marth and I trust his judgment more than anyone's when it comes to smash

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Well I think he has a great game against MK, too, specifically because of this http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1XMOLixxjA that's also because MK has no projectiles. I guess we'll see how exactly he does when camped after a lot more tourneys. There's a reason M2K dropped marth and I trust his judgment more than anyone's when it comes to smash
M2K dropped Marth in the opening months of the game, before many of us even had it. I presume he is a player that needed huge range and grab capacities, which Dedede supplied at a much better rate than Marth, who USED to have the best range and grab game in Melee. =P

Remember, MANY pro's play the characters that best suit their playstyles, not because they are top tier. ;)

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ the video. M2K is just trying to prove that Brawl is completely broken.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
that youtube link is very helpful, it definitely showcases marth's dominance against everyone, well maybe not everyone, but most people, and that link didn't even show what could have happened if he used dancing blade. he has my vote for one of the top few people(even though no one cares what i think...). Go Marth!!!!!!!!!!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
well my theory is that all the ikers now have ike as their secondary and some of them moved marth as their main since they believe that ike is a better secondary than main
My name shows that i obviously use ike, which i do, but once i started using marth, i didn't use ike as much, and now marth is one of my favorites and behind snake, my best character. i did push ike back to a secondary character, so Doodx, u r right.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
lol @ metaknight soo ********
ike is solid: lol i have never failed in making a theory(NOT):p

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
but it's not really the metaknight's fault, the marth was well spaced and managed to snuff the MK's approaches. I really don't see any way that MK could have approached. That's a marth vs MK specific issue though. I just haven't seen a marth able to approach campers well, which is why I doubt him. Please, someone show me the light if you can. Mainly I'd need to see marth getting around tilts out of shields and shieldgrabbing (which is much more of an issue now that his range was reduced), and making his way through projectiles without ending up with punishable lag or taking medium to large amounts of damage on the way to the opponent. I'm talking on a pro level here (whatever that means) not vs scrubby players.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If anyone has seen the anime of fire emblem, while trying to run away, Marth's sister places her tiara on marths head and asks him to take care of it.
Thanks. I was ok with the tiara before, but now i know why he has it.

Who am I? For all intensive purposes, I'm a nobody. Haven't attended any major offline tournaments, yet.

My job in real life involves in-depth analysis, in the Information Technology department. What does this mean? I'm paid to be smart and understand things. So hopefully that buys me some credit.

Who do I main? Meta Knight. I'm always picking him apart down to levels so deep I'll never need to know such information.

So what is my point?

Take it from me; also knowing I main MK (for whatever that matters to you):

MARTH IS UNDER-RATED.

Give it time and dedicated players and everyone will see this.

That is all. Good day, peeps!
Wow. Someone finally gets it. Kudos for making that point:)

He doesn't even need a crown, he's a total bad *** mother f***er, even with a tiara
Yea, if someone gets ***** by someone with a tiara, they should lose their man liscence, and the guy with it should have his upgraded to V.I.P. status.

but it's not really the metaknight's fault, the marth was well spaced and managed to snuff the MK's approaches. I really don't see any way that MK could have approached. That's a marth vs MK specific issue though. I just haven't seen a marth able to approach campers well, which is why I doubt him. Please, someone show me the light if you can. Mainly I'd need to see marth getting around tilts out of shields and shieldgrabbing (which is much more of an issue now that his range was reduced), and making his way through projectiles without ending up with punishable lag or taking medium to large amounts of damage on the way to the opponent. I'm talking on a pro level here (whatever that means) not vs scrubby players.
Camping is sooooo not an issue for good marths anymore (look up marth vs. pit videos to see what i mean). It actually makes things easier on occasion. You can juggernaut your way through projectiles and counter one in their face (very effective against fox's lazer since it has no stun). Either that or just short hop fair them and thier projectiles. Link and snake however have explosives so that makes this harder (not impossible though). In the long run: damage marth takes walking through projectiles < damage marth will inflict while rearranging opponents face when he gets to them. As for tilts out of shields, marths falcion as pretty good range so he can just space his attacks. Also, if someone throws up their shield, they run the risk of marth breaking it.

P.S. Sorry this is a "wall of text"

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
Well in my experience most spammers will stop before the opponent reaches them (no counter), also I think you overestimate the range on the falchion, it's good, don't get me wrong, but not THAT good, specifically snake doesn't really have problems there, neither does DDD with his grabs nor toon link with his tilts, aerials out of shield and grab. Those in my opinion are marth's biggest worries and since they are very common characters because they are considered high on the tier list I think they are going to be a roadblock in marth's way when it comes to rising through the tiers.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Quite frankly I think Marth is an advanced character, and as such will need more time to excel through the metagame. The only reason he is doing well now is because he is statistically good. We still need to wait for another Marth prodigy.

That aside, I think Marth will assume the High Tier spot on the list.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Well in my experience most spammers will stop before the opponent reaches them (no counter), also I think you overestimate the range on the falchion, it's good, don't get me wrong, but not THAT good, specifically snake doesn't really have problems there, neither does DDD with his grabs nor toon link with his tilts, aerials out of shield and grab. Those in my opinion are marth's biggest worries and since they are very common characters because they are considered high on the tier list I think they are going to be a roadblock in marth's way when it comes to rising through the tiers.
His sword isn't longer than the range of many characters, but he has a speed advantage on practically the entire cast. Most of his moves come out in ~5 frames. They are also rather lagless, or have very abusable IASA frames that speed them up. That raw speed combined with his range is what makes him so freakin' good. He's also a heck of a lot more mobile, as his best techniques are used in the air.

Mobility + speed + range = good effin character on the approach. Only Metaknight beats him in my opinion.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
having looked at ISJ marth looks like he has a better chance. could be like a pseudo wall of pain with infinite f-airs.

Top Bottom