• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Double Dolphin Slash

Reptar On Ice

Smash Cadet
The double dolphin slash seems pretty useless, as it leaves Marth high and vulnerable. However, Marth was standing on the stage for a bit between the two. If the first dolphin slash could be made to do that consistently, Marth can use dancing blade, for example, instantaneously after the recovery.

Do you remember whether you were mashing b or not, or if you tend to tilt the analog stick toward the stage?
Still regardless if he had mashed B wouldn't he have grabbed the ledge?

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
If this works similarly to Fox's or Wolf's using their side Bs, then you can do any move afterwards. This seems to have less lag after the initial move then Fox's though. I've now seen this work with Wolf, Lucario, Fox, Falco, Marth, and Zelda; space animals using their side Bs, and up Bs for the others.

To who mentioned the "rejection": I've had that happen with Falco's side B. He bumps the edge and falls straight down in normal state. I think I've got some footage of this if anyone's interested in seeing it.

This could actually have some mixup usage for edgeguarding if one was to perfect the timing. From ledge, drop, and mixup between ledge canceling with Dolphin Slash, DS to sweetspot, and going directly after the opponent.

J4pu

Smash Champion
IASA frames, but wait that would mean you could double UpB at any time after that point
maybe the oppositte of IASA: Interruptable before frames? You can reuse Up before a certain frame of the UpB but it requires you to be standing on the ground on a frame that you usually are still floating in the air for.

/ignore post
just random incorrect thoughts
+1 post count

deatscythe6

Smash Rookie
It seems as though you ledge cancelled it before the falling frames started. Even though the release was stalled for roughly a year, brawl still has plenty of bugs.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
LMFAO

I go into training, first time I do it, I get a double dolphin slash

Will try to replicate more

Edit: Alright, I managed to do a few more Double Dolphin Slashes as well as one Dolphin Slash > Dancing Blade. The result was interesting. Currently uploading YouTube video.

Edit2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFkhtpDMAk

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
yeah, so I think Junk is right, it looks like it only may work on curved stages. Anyone agree? I watched the video in slow motion like 1000 times, and it looks as though Marth goes up the corner of battlefield and skips the edge, using it again in that same frame. Just repeating what most people here have gussed.

Those may be some good invincibility frames if it counts the first 6 for your first, if you hit the edge and activates as if you're getting on the ledge, and the second 6 frames of the second dolphin slash, so you'll at least be safe if your opponent is standing around the edge trying to hit you, but it still seems easy to punish.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
How would marth have a better recovery? That makes no sense. You are canceling the ledge sweet spot animation. If you could do something OTHER than up b'ng again then it would be useful. An extra dolphin slash would do nothing but get you punished.
Oh ya, just thought of that, well you are right, if you could do more jumps out of this it would be great because you could get some Fairs in to repel edgeguarders.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Looks very similar to Wolf's Side+B into the edge glitch, where he appears next to the edge. Marth appeared next to the edge, then used Up+B again, and Dolphin Slash has low start-up lag.

My Theory: Wolf Flash and Dolphin Slash are both very quick moving moves. As they move into the edge, the auto sweet-spotting mechanic kicks in and tells them to grab the edge, but the high speed has already moved them past (a little over + right of the edge). When the game tries to place them back on the edge, the little corner that is the edge stops them, since they cannot move through it since it is solid ground, so they stop, next to the edge. VERY hard to explain what I am thinking in words, but hopefully some of you will get what I'm trying to say, though I'll bet some of you will misinterpret what I'm saying. :p

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
yeah, so I think Junk is right, it looks like it only may work on curved stages. Anyone agree? I watched the video in slow motion like 1000 times, and it looks as though Marth goes up the corner of battlefield and skips the edge, using it again in that same frame. Just repeating what most people here have gussed.

Those may be some good invincibility frames if it counts the first 6 for your first, if you hit the edge and activates as if you're getting on the ledge, and the second 6 frames of the second dolphin slash, so you'll at least be safe if your opponent is standing around the edge trying to hit you, but it still seems easy to punish.
I've done it on FD once, which was pretty cool.

I've just realised something. Isn't this kind-of like a Brawl sweet-spot? It..kind-of is.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to dolphin slash either. you probably get your second jump back so you could pull a surprise Fair on somebody camping just beyond your normal ledgehop range.

on the reverse side, the lagless upb could let you quickly get back to edge guarding games if you chased em out but they're still alive and trying to recover.

if only it could be consistently done, but the positioning would have to be god awfully precise

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
I've done it on FD once, which was pretty cool.

I've just realised something. Isn't this kind-of like a Brawl sweet-spot? It..kind-of is.
Oh wow, what's this? that's interesting. I'd try to test it out, but it's sort of like...hard to do. well I'll try anyhow.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
I just did this on Yoshi's. I think there are two different things here. The not snapping on to the edge and regaining things, and the lagless onstage landing.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
LMFAO

I go into training, first time I do it, I get a double dolphin slash

Will try to replicate more

Edit: Alright, I managed to do a few more Double Dolphin Slashes as well as one Dolphin Slash > Dancing Blade. The result was interesting. Currently uploading YouTube video.

Edit2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFkhtpDMAk
Since it seems like you have a hang of it, can you try doing stuff like "Dolphin Slash > Jump > Fair" or "Dolphin Slash > Shield Dodge Right" and post a video.

ShenCS

Smash Cadet
Awesome find. Question: When doing the Up-B to >B, can you pull out any of the other moves of >B, as they push you forward?

Top Bottom