• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Best/Worst Matchups

Irow

Smash Ace
Marth having a disadvantage? Heresy! Marth is the god of Smash!

Seriously though, it looks like Pit does well against Marth. Marth is quite well rounded, and from what I've seen - Doesn't really have a weak match-up. Perhaps we could get somebody who's played often to gaive impressions.

Count Alphez

Smash Rookie
marth lacks long range remember, anyone like samus (if they are anywhere near as good as they were in melee) has teh "potential" to rip marth. pit will be torn from the sky and zelda/sheik just dont have enough firepower... most well suited targets are probably likely to be wolf and the lylat staff... and possibly snake or sonic due to his speed

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Now, I haven't played the game, but I've seen nearly every marth vid for brawl. From what I've seen there (and only what I've seen there), there are a couple of people that could give marth a hard time.

People with a strong projectile will be difficult to deal with. (Olimar, Snake)
Pit and Metaknight both have absurd recovery abilities that make it difficult to edgeguard them or kill them.
Wolf has been seen to be a powerful fighting force, and will give anyone a hard time.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
My only annoyance I've had with any character thus far is Metaknight. Hit him once, he hits you back twice.

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
I have a hard time with

1) Meta Knight-- because his aerials come out faster, you have to grab a lot, and his dash grab seems to out range Marth
2)Toon Link -- All aeriels come out faster and have higher priority, if you don't space right you will get chain grabbed.
3) Snake -- Why don't know it was just hard to beat him
4) Fox/Falco- Still fast, with upsmash out of your dash is easier now, he can just spam it.
5) Olimar -- Has a crazy combo against Marth, good grab range, Gets you to 100% in no time and smashes are powerful

Everybody else gets *****!

hario.hige

Smash Cadet
Projectiles are an advantage but do not seem "****" against Marth. He's too **** fast.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that i can think of being a bad match up with marth is anyone with Projectiles, but even then, its not that bad.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
From my experience so far, it feels like Olimar, Toon Link and Wolf are the toughest matchups. However, they've all been mostly manageable due to Marth's range if you space well.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
I agree MOST people with Projectiles. Or Meta Knight he just seems to be to fast or his arials are just amazing. but marth never gets ***** he just gets beat SUMTIMES.
Im sure marth is in the top 5 of everyone elses WORST match up.

Raiko

Smash Rookie
MK is a really tough match.

IMO:

Marth is weak from his bottom part, MK ***** when Marth tries to recover :/ (I mean not only when out of the stage but in air as well, Air dodge is a must use)
And Marth grab isn't good like Melee, so MK has advantage with his rolls + Down Smash plus his hits are faster, less lagged and can combo Marth, counter helps but MK still has the advantage.

End of my opinion xD

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I think MK, Olimar and Wolf are going to be the worst for Marth. I thought Marth would actually have the upper hand on Olimar considering how vulnerable Olimar can be to gimp tactics, but the actual process to getting to the edgeguard often ends in the brutality of Marth's backside; Olimar is wicked powerful in the ground game. That match in particular is going to devolve into nothing more than who's more clever and less predictable, because they both punish the hell out of each other when mistakes get made. If you think I'm exaggerating, just wait until your first match against an experienced Olimar; he's got the kind of power in his ground game that makes Ganondorf green with envy.

MK is going to be a more traditional fight for Marth compared to Olimar. Main problem will be that you can pretty much kiss any edgeguarding KOs goodbye in this match-up, which is a big strength of Marth's. On top of that, this isn't an easy character to land tippers on; you've got very little spacing advantage here and a lot of his attacks just come out faster. Personally I think this is going to be the most "frustrating" fight for Marth mains, especially when MK starts brutally harassing you when off the stage.

As for Wolf, I think the only real problem here is priority. The guy's got loaded dice in this department and it's probably not something Marth players are going to be used to (assuming they mained Marth in Melee). I think playing smart defense is going to be key, as Wolf's laser is just going to make the approach awkward, and you'll need to be very precise in controlling spacing as to not let him leverage any priority advantages.

Irow

Smash Ace
Fox is difficult somewhat. An Upsmash kills at like 90%. However, unlike in Melee, Fox dies quick up. Use dashing up smash periodically. Hint: Forward B combo - all forward- ***** Fox.

Wolf is really annoying. Just keep smart, use a lot of forward b, and shield a lot. I switched Y to shield because its much more precise than L or R.

MK isn't so bad. Shield a lot, don't be afraid of damage - he doesn't kill low. Use nair. Keep pressure with forward b. Tipped fairs kill mk pretty good.

XxSubzeroxX

Smash Rookie
Only people i ever have trouble with is Olimar, Toon Link, and ZSS(becuz of the stun gun long *** wip combo) if u have tips to kill Zss reply plz lol

Rokrin

Smash Rookie
I've had problems with Pit too; some people like to just sit on one side of the map and arrow spam. Olimar's not too big of a deal as long as you try to keep him off the ground, and away from the Smash Ball.

RushThemDown

Smash Rookie
How about Pikachu?

He's got a lot of quick, brutal punishes. With Thunder at his side, he pretty much never has to leave the ground, either.

Dark Crimson

Smash Apprentice
My friend plays Sheik. I play Marth. It's insane. Sheik's speed is just barely greater than Marth's. And if you aerial attack Sheik with Marth, it's really hard. Well, he's pro with Sheik so maybe it's him.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
MK has been giving me such a hard time it's ridiculous. I'm very accustomed to melee so i'm not sure if I just havn't adjusted yet. It just seems that whenever I hit MK he doesn't even flinch and has already started a combo on me.

I usually just notice this with my standard attacks and air attacks when I don't tip him.

His edge guarding is also pretty tough to get around, only real way to do it is to Fair him and hope he gtfo's before he Fairs you. Then just try to grab the edge back.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
i've yet to see any character just flat out **** marth. Against fox, falco, and wolf all he has to do is edgeguard, which is most of his game. I have a tough time finding someone to beat him.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Pit and MK are rough because after you get them off the stage, it's hard to keep them there. Other characters who recover low are easily abused by Marth's bair edgeguard.

Linguini

Smash Master
Guys, Marth easily outranges and can keep Metaknight in a constant spacing game that MK cannot win. Dont let him get inside, and the tide will stay on your side.

Irow

Smash Ace
Alright, Wolf isn't so bad. I'm serious, if Wolf's priority is ****** you, change it up. Just about all your moves come out faster, and priority don't mean **** if you're hit before you can move.

Use the forward b. Use it like it's the best move in the game. Just be smart about it. Play that Forward B card, but make sure you're still reading where that Wolf is going. Wolf is also pretty easy to gimp with a well placed fair off the edge. Wolf has like no DI after he does his recovery moves.

It's still a hard match, but I'd put slightly in Marth's favor. Initially, you'll probably lose. It's the learning curve vs. Wolf that is hard. After you figure how to place your forward b's in ,it's so much easier. Don't ever try to go for more than two fairs, if even that. Poke with that move, annoy him with it. Then let a good powered forward b whack him off the edge, and watch as your fair ***** the **** out of his recovery.

In my opinion, Fox is much harder than Wolf. He can kill you at like 100%. That 100% is really easy to put on if he does that M2K ****, running away and lasering. That running upsmash is hella broken, and will **** you up. It has a hitbox like past his feet. However, Forward B ***** Fox. But don't rush in blindly with it, or get ready to face an uptilt out of shield, then watch as you get hit with an upsmash or fair.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Marth is so broken. Maybe people just need more time to find a real counter against him. I seriously cannot figure out a character that has even a slight advantage against a marth that knows what he's doing.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
there is no such thing as a bad match up for marth, as far as i can see. he pretty much only has matches to his advantage, and matches that are even.

space animals, olimar, dedede and MK are all good choices against marth. other less useful but still usable characters are snake, samus, and anyone who can win the game using projectiles ALONG with solid high dmg moves, because if you aren't knocking marth back, he will definitely dodge you or DI or something, and set up epic ****.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Alright, Wolf isn't so bad. I'm serious, if Wolf's priority is ****** you, change it up. Just about all your moves come out faster, and priority don't mean **** if you're hit before you can move.

Use the forward b. Use it like it's the best move in the game. Just be smart about it. Play that Forward B card, but make sure you're still reading where that Wolf is going. Wolf is also pretty easy to gimp with a well placed fair off the edge. Wolf has like no DI after he does his recovery moves.

It's still a hard match, but I'd put slightly in Marth's favor. Initially, you'll probably lose. It's the learning curve vs. Wolf that is hard. After you figure how to place your forward b's in ,it's so much easier. Don't ever try to go for more than two fairs, if even that. Poke with that move, annoy him with it. Then let a good powered forward b whack him off the edge, and watch as your fair ***** the **** out of his recovery.

In my opinion, Fox is much harder than Wolf. He can kill you at like 100%. That 100% is really easy to put on if he does that M2K ****, running away and lasering. That running upsmash is hella broken, and will **** you up. It has a hitbox like past his feet. However, Forward B ***** Fox. But don't rush in blindly with it, or get ready to face an uptilt out of shield, then watch as you get hit with an upsmash or fair.

Lol. I can sit here and explain exactly why Wolf will **** Marth just like you did for Marth. Wolf > Marf. gg.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
marth lacks long range remember, anyone like samus (if they are anywhere near as good as they were in melee) has teh "potential" to rip marth. pit will be torn from the sky and zelda/sheik just dont have enough firepower... most well suited targets are probably likely to be wolf and the lylat staff... and possibly snake or sonic due to his speed
What? Marth lacks range...? What?... Samus nearly as good as in melee... what? Stop talking thanks.

How about Pikachu?

He's got a lot of quick, brutal punishes. With Thunder at his side, he pretty much never has to leave the ground, either.
Pikachu is still really bad, and no at thunder.

My friend plays Sheik. I play Marth. It's insane. Sheik's speed is just barely greater than Marth's. And if you aerial attack Sheik with Marth, it's really hard. Well, he's pro with Sheik so maybe it's him.
He's not pro with sheik

Lol. I can sit here and explain exactly why Wolf will **** Marth just like you did for Marth. Wolf > Marf. gg.
Hey everlasting, i've put lots of testing into both characters and i can't say that Wolf ***** Marth

The match-up is closer to even imo.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is NOT really bad anymore, he got buffed in almost every aspect. He cant quite go against marth, but he has a better chance than he did in melee
I agree, no at thunder though.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Marth even owns marth. I didn't main marth in melee or really play him much in brawl but i did get beat by a fox today. Might be something to that?

Top Bottom