• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Vid - Help?

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
I feel like I am not good with Marth period, like I'm doing something wrong... I have a vid up and I would like some general info of what's right/wrong.

Also about Marth dittos and Marth vs. Roy, wtf am I supposed to do? I'm bad at all dittos, but Marth vs. himself is just insanely hard for me, I might put up a vid of that later.

I've been training for a tourny coming up... Yeah I know I'll lose but hey, fun info, and maybe I'll get lucky and place somehow.

The vid is currently uploading to youtube... **** takes forever...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
These are horrible. You should know this already if you watched practically any other video on smashboards.

Wak's Advanced how to play Part. 1
Watch this then part 2 and 3.

That is, of course, if you want to learn how to play the advanced version of this game. You don't need anymore tips at this point.

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
Dude I know I suck but still, I wanted freaking advice. Actually this might sound stupid but, that was one of my worst fights, I just happened to have a camera at that moment and my friend was leaving so I figured we'd play a game.

Plus I'm getting slightly better by the day... I'm not even sure whether or not I should say that but it's true.

Yeah btw I do wavedash more in a serious fight, especially with edgeguarding, but my friend thinks wavedashing SHFFL's and crap like that are all stupid and he never let's me play against him with them or he'll quit...heheh... I threw out a SHDF on him once, he thought I hacked the game hahah....

The only other thing I can say is... I don't know a single person that likes this game within like 20 miles, or in town, I'm not even sure how big my town is.

Also just gotta say this... I LAUGHED MY *** OFF ON MY SECOND DEATH! Seriously, I've never messed up that badly with marth.... heheheh....never jumping off the stage to dodge an attack again... really the worst thought.

just wondering, why'd you say "these" are horrible? Typo?

battousai555

Smash Ace
At first I thought Arcnatural was just being overly critical, but he is spot on. What you guys need to do is learn how to control your characters. Read the guides for your characters, practice the techs, post another video, and then we'll talk about what you should be doing. Practice wavedashing, SHFFLing, and all other ATs. Just don't wavedash around your friend if it'll make him cry. I doubt he'll be able to tell whether or not you're L-cancelling seeing as he is such a noob. Oh, and try to find someone better to play with. There has to be someone out there! Happy smashing.

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
Pff... I've trying to find someone to play with for about 3-4 weeks now, nothing. I don't even have to fight someone neccesarily good, as long as they actually want to get into the competitive play. You can only go so far against computers...... might as well look in the regional tourny section...

AStopSign

Smash Rookie
Sorry, but at this level of play, we can't really give you advice. You're on your own to read up on basics (the video that Arcnatural recommended is, of course, necessary). Watch videos of good players; there are stickies in each character board linking to these.

Also... A Smash video should not include footage of shirtless preteen males. It's just not fair to us unsuspecting viewers.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
>.>
I never got that far into the video, but I feel your pain.
neither did I. I barely lasted through the beginning of the video where he took a stock by standing still and attacking......

and bro, tell your friend to lighten up and let you play with ATs if you actually know them. That's just too much sandbagging if you ask me. Also, how are you playing without ATs if you know them? Most players I know would never be able to play without wavedashing, l-canceling and crouch-canceling since it becomes a habit and reflex in certain situations.

btw, for your answers on Marth dittos, go to a thread in the Character Specific Boards called "I Am Horrible at Marth Dittos".

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Dude I know I suck but still, I wanted freaking advice. Actually this might sound stupid but, that was one of my worst fights, I just happened to have a camera at that moment and my friend was leaving so I figured we'd play a game.

just wondering, why'd you say "these" are horrible? Typo?
The one video is horrible :p. Honestly, that's the BEST advice you could get at this point. You need to learn to do everything in those videos.

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
Also... A Smash video should not include footage of shirtless preteen males. It's just not fair to us unsuspecting viewers.
Hey I find that offensive... and utterly true. I'm 13 so hah... wow that's prolly the worst way to reply to that... I'm just gonna get a friend over, play all out and post a vid later...

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
It will take quite a bit of research... But I'm sure that if you're motivated, you can figure out the ATs. Also, make your friends get better or it will be tough to get anywhere.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Right now your problem is not having no one to play with. Your most important problem now is that you have zero technical skill. I mean you don't even move for the first 20 seconds of that vid for Christ's sake.

Read the AlphaZealot thread on advanced techs. Master ALL of them. You can do this practicing against level 1cpus or just plug another controller in. Once you can move around the stage fluidly, string hits together, etc., start watching videos of good players. The stickied video archive in this forum is a good place to start. Try to understand why they do what they do, what influences the decisions they make during the match, etc. Learn to spot their mistakes and how to punish them.

Then start playing other good people. Even if you master all the techs and start to understand the basics of the game, you will still get ***** by good players for a long time. But don't give up. The scrub's approach to losing is to quit. Instead, focus on what's making you lose and keep improving. Go to tournaments. You won't place but don't let it discourage you. Most importantly just keep playing and keep learning, and eventually maybe you'll be good.

Luso

Smash Ace
NNID
JonLuso
3DS FC
3566-1666-9423
IMO, Kid5day, you were pretty good in that match, but in order to stand a chance in competitive playing, you gotta learn new techniques, like the other people here are saying. I'm not that good myself at Melee, so I can see where you're standing. For now, at least, just try to keep playing your friends whenever you can possible, and train in Training Mode a lot to master new techs, rather than on active CPU's until you're ready to test them out. Hope you go far in your training. ^_^

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
We weren't naked, we were swimming... (I have a pool :D)

I am using the ATs a lot more now, I got almost completely used to SHing with Marth, but I can never time my L-cancels right.

Oh well, practice makes perfect, eh?

EDIT: oh yeah, I never tech still... ever... period, don't know why

Anyway, a quick question, does L-canceling help reduce lag even if the aerial animation finishes before he lands?

Gian

Smash Apprentice
We weren't naked, we were swimming... (I have a pool :D)

I am using the ATs a lot more now, I got almost completely used to SHing with Marth, but I can never time my L-cancels right.

Oh well, practice makes perfect, eh?

EDIT: oh yeah, I never tech still... ever... period, don't know why

Anyway, a quick question, does L-canceling help reduce lag even if the aerial animation finishes before he lands?
i had the same problem with l cancel when i 1st started using adv techs... years ago... just practice ull make it

and if the attk finish in the air u dont need to cancel, and also marths nair has an auto cancel.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i had the same problem with l cancel when i 1st started using adv techs... years ago... just practice ull make it

and if the attk finish in the air u dont need to cancel, and also marths nair has an auto cancel.
You can still l-cancel a auto-canceled aerial and it just won't do anything. It's better to do it that way imo so you help develop l-canceling on habit.

Top Bottom