• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth, the ledge king - Running getup? No. Walking getup. ( 1 Consistent method found)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So a while ago, it was discovered you can let go of ledge, immediately double tap forward (one to get closer to the ledge, one to start running) as you jump, and you'll be able to do a running getup.

However, it is also possible to WALK instead of run. Meaning, if mastered, you can actually getup from ledge and do literally anything from a neutral position.

If anyone knows any special inputs that can be done with a custom controller setting, then feel free to let us know :)

If not, the usual inputs apply, except instead of tapping twice forward, you just push once.

EDIT:

On Lylat Cruise, if you're hanging on the edge and it's tilting upwards, you can let go by pressing back, then quickly press forward, and you'll easily walk onto the stage. Easiest, and most consistent method found yet. :3

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Whoa.
Could this be? Is it pretty much that thing discovered day 1 where people accidentally go immediately from the ledge to a standing ftilt instead of inputting double jump fair?
Totally testing this out later. If this is finally something we can do consistently, that's kinda big.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Whoa.
Could this be? Is it pretty much that thing discovered day 1 where people accidentally go immediately from the ledge to a standing ftilt instead of inputting double jump fair?
Totally testing this out later. If this is finally something we can do consistently, that's kinda big.
I actually saw people mention about the walking getup (or, anything getup I guess) in the previous thread where this was first posted, so I guess this thread's invalidated, but it IS bringing a new discussion (since it wasn't touched upon much in the old thread)

For an example

Credit to @Gemba Board for posting this

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
I actually saw people mention about the walking getup (or, anything getup I guess) in the previous thread where this was first posted, so I guess this thread's invalidated, but it IS bringing a new discussion (since it wasn't touched upon much in the old thread)

For an example

Credit to @Gemba Board for posting this
that example looks like an air dodge was started tbh
but I've never heard of running getup, is it basically just landing on stage from a ledge hop?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
that example looks like an air dodge was started tbh
but I've never heard of running getup, is it basically just landing on stage from a ledge hop?
Actually, that's not an airdodge, that's just Marth's weird jump XD

Also this is the running getup

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I can't seem to land the running getup. Any tips on how to do it? :(

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Deep inside he's still Melee Marth. Jokes aside though, that looks like a really neat technique.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Let go of ledge
Hold towards ledge
Jump
Profit
Does it not matter if you let go by going down or back? Is there a specific frame window? I've tried this before, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.

EDIT: Been trying for a bit. Got it to work in succession a few times, but later I couldn't seem to do it at all. I got the dash one for my first, but every one after that has been a standing. I've tried tapping back and towards the stage and resettign the stick to neutral an it's sometimes has worked but then I have tired holding it towards the stage to have forward momenturm and that worked too.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So does anyone have a name for this technique yet? Or are we gonna jack the "wavelanding" term from Melee?

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Just a question, is this something Marth specific, or can other characters do this too? If anything I expect Lucina to be able to do it, but who knows if her smaller stature could stop her being able too... I am gonna practice this when I get home today, and then try a few other characters. I really hope this is Marth specific, it would give him something niche others don't have.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
So does anyone have a name for this technique yet? Or are we gonna jack the "wavelanding" term from Melee?
I think we should try and create our own name for it, instead of taking the name from Melee. You know, to make it feel unique for Smash 4. Perfectlanding? Dashlanding? Any other suggestions?

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
I think we should try and create our own name for it, instead of taking the name from Melee. You know, to make it feel unique for Smash 4. Perfectlanding? Dashlanding? Any other suggestions?
Ledge-Run?
Running-Getup?
Dash-getup?

I dunno... Dash-landing sounds the best to me.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Ledge-Run?
Running-Getup?
Dash-getup?

I dunno... Dash-landing sounds the best to me.
I thought about that, but you don't actually have to dash when on the stage if I am correct, right? You can do things like a smash or a jab instead, so Dash Landing wouldn't fit with those, Who knows, but still, I can't wait to practice this later.

Let me get this straight. You hang on the ledge, tap away, jump, then move towards the ledge to do this? From what I have been reading, when Marth's feet touch the ledge, thats when you want to be doing your next input? (for example, smashing the stick to the side for a dash, or A button for a jab) Am I right in thinking this?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I like the name Perfectlanding. Doesn't tie it to anything other than landing itself and the term can be added up later on if we find more specific uses. (I.E. Dash perfect landing or something.)

Who agrees?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Actually most of these suggestions aren't good lol. It's not really a landing so it can't be called perfect landing (besides this term should be reserved for when you cancel tumble animations with landing autocancels).

Say it for what it is. Double jump get-up (maybe landing here). Jump get-up/landing. Perfect get-up (because it is the best get-up). Then you could say things like grab get-up, dash get-up, walk-get-up, Utilt get-up to describe the quick options it allows.

The first two suggestions by the way could have landing in the name since there's no other time you'd be landing with jumps (because you can't, it doesn't make sense) unlike perfect landing.

But honestly, wavelanding is absolutely the best one. It is extremely recognizable and it mostly the same concept involving double jump. No one will be confused because it's already common knowledge that Smash 4 doesn't have Melee air dodges.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Actually most of these suggestions aren't good lol. It's not really a landing so it can't be called perfect landing (besides this term should be reserved for when you cancel tumble animations with landing autocancels).

Say it for what it is. Double jump get-up (maybe landing here). Jump get-up/landing. Perfect get-up (because it is the best get-up). Then you could say things like grab get-up, dash get-up, walk-get-up, Utilt get-up to describe the quick options it allows.

The first two suggestions by the way could have landing in the name since there's no other time you'd be landing with jumps (because you can't, it doesn't make sense) unlike perfect landing.

But honestly, wavelanding is absolutely the best one. It is extremely recognizable and it mostly the same concept involving double jump. No one will be confused because it's already common knowledge that Smash 4 doesn't have Melee air dodges.
Actually I was able to land with a jump from tumble animation as Marth, essentially cancelling both the tumble animation AND the jump, twice, but never was able to replicate it again ^^''

And I guess wavelanding can be used, I mean you DO seem to be wavelanding on stage, and for all intents and purposes, its follows the same 'reasoning' as to why it happens.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Actually I was able to land with a jump from tumble animation as Marth, essentially cancelling both the tumble animation AND the jump, twice, but never was able to replicate it again ^^''

And I guess wavelanding can be used, I mean you DO seem to be wavelanding on stage, and for all intents and purposes, its follows the same 'reasoning' as to why it happens.
Oh yeah you've said that before actually. I forgot about that thing you found.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Nah man call it "Martha's Instantaneous Ledge Dash" or "Ultra Wh00sh Run Time"

yes yes pretty catchy! You're Welcome.

\( ̄▽ ̄)/

Powerman293

Smash Ace

But why do we gotta take a term from Melee though? The entire Smash Community is so obsessed with Melee and can't we just be our own Smash 4 community with its unique mechanics with its own terms?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
But why do we gotta take a term from Melee though? The entire Smash Community is so obsessed with Melee and can't we just be our own Smash 4 community with its unique mechanics with its own terms?
It's not taking a term from Melee, it's taking a term from Smash.

Alienating Melee and/or its terms because some people prefer it, makes no sense.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It's not taking a term from Melee, it's taking a term from Smash.

Alienating Melee and/or its terms because some people prefer it, makes no sense.
A Smash term that is specific to Melee. When I think of a Smash term I think "teching" or "DI" or "knockback", not things specific to specific games.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
A Smash term that is specific to Melee. When I think of a Smash term I think "teching" or "DI" or "knockback", not things specific to specific games.
But it's not specific to that certain game if it's something applicable in more than one game.

This folllows the same logic of "let go of ledge > jump > land onstage"

In Melee you have to airdodge and in this one, you don't (even though you COULD) but that isn't enough to bother me about calling it wavelanding anyways.

It's like how DI is different now than it was before, but we still call it DI, even if it involves horizontal KB.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
After having practiced this technique for a bit, I can maybe get it off 1/10 or 1/15 times. Not great, but better then I was before.

I know we have the input method down, but I still feel like I haven't gotten down how all the variables affect the landing.

There's 3 or 4 variables involved in getting this off: the drop off the edge, holding to the right and the jump itself (and maybe speed of all 3 relative to each other). I've recently been testing the method on final destination and my range of inputs on battlefield do not work on FD. So I've been trying to have the ledge "let-go" hang in the air for a bit longer before I input towards the stage and jump. And it's sort of worked.

We need more testing on this, but if we can isolate the speed/precise distance the inputs require on certain stages, we'd be golden on this.

Krillmaster

Smash Rookie
just curious is this a marth only tech or can other characters like villager do it as well. i see that you can do it on lylat just curious if other characters can do it from a normal ledge like BF

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
just curious is this a marth only tech or can other characters like villager do it as well. i see that you can do it on lylat just curious if other characters can do it from a normal ledge like BF
Pit, Little Mac, and some other mid/low tiers can. Haven't seen a single high tier who can do it.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
A friend of mine did it by accident with ZSS.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Pit, Little Mac, and some other mid/low tiers can. Haven't seen a single high tier who can do it.
God save us if Sheik can do it.

Did some testing last night, and if you're having trouble getting the running getup consistently like I am, you can always tap 2 to 3 times into the stages when landing to perform a foxtrot.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
God save us if Sheik can do it.

Did some testing last night, and if you're having trouble getting the running getup consistently like I am, you can always tap 2 to 3 times into the stages when landing to perform a foxtrot.
She can't, thankfully :)

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
A nice thing Marth can do is drop down, jump up, and fair or nair. I've seen Marths switch this with Shield Breaker and ALMOST get a break and get punished. With this tech, one can grab instead of neutral b, leading into more reliable things after conditioning, like some down throw stuff, or throw them offstage, and edgeguard. Oh god. And l thought a tricky Marth was already scary.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
this just looks like an aerial interrupt. marth's double jump does this in melee and brawl too. i don't know if it's a no impact land or not. NIA means one frame of landing lag, and normal is 4 frames, though that's just what i know from melee frame data.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
this just looks like an aerial interrupt. marth's double jump does this in melee and brawl too. i don't know if it's a no impact land or not. NIA means one frame of landing lag, and normal is 4 frames, though that's just what i know from melee frame data.
So your jump is cancelled by the ledge in those games too?

Top Bottom