• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Question and Answer Thread - Incomplete Percent Data added!

Irow

Smash Ace
Actually, if you don't tip; it acts very much like a mix between a nontip from melee and a tip from melee. If you don't tip, double fair becomes much easier. Tip on fair is for finish and to clear an opponent from you if you need breathing space. Nontip Fair can still lead into Dair quite easily.

And about the Dolphin Slash. The Dolphin Slash in Melee had as much knockback reversed and not. The reversing of the Dolphin Slash was only to prevent sever punishment if you missed.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
okay cool so it is still if more important to sweet or not

......i always thought it did.....:( i made it so much harder to do that one trick....hmmm

Irow

Smash Ace
Yes, this time around, tip alters trajectory even more than it did in Melee. To master Marth in Brawl, you're going to have to have much more control and spacing. Also, you're DI must be under control, if you DI too much toward you're opponent - You're gonna get grabbed or counter attacked. This time around, you really have to use your sword to control where your opponent is.

Irow

Smash Ace
Marth probably won't appeal to noobs because he has a tiara and is actually quite weak when taken for face value.

To bring up a new subject, I think that Marth's grabs will mainly be used used for tech chasing. His Back throw seems to be able to lead into a back air quite well, however. Do you think that Marth's game will have an emphasis on grabs? Or do you think that spacing and opponent placement control will be more important?

On a side note, if you see people discussing Marth combat, or if they ask questions about it in other threads - Direct them here. This isn't just a Q&A, it's a Marth combat thread. Please, I'd like to reduce the number of thread on the Marth boards; and keep each thread focused.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Question here:

Does Marth new attack give you horizontal movement if done mid-air?

I think I saw it in a video, but I'm not sure.

If so, could this mean that one could Short Hop a as a simple mindgame attack?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
no it doesnt give much barely noticable but in poke stadium 2 wind stg it has a lot of movement

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Marth probably won't appeal to noobs because he has a tiara and is actually quite weak when taken for face value.

To bring up a new subject, I think that Marth's grabs will mainly be used used for tech chasing. His Back throw seems to be able to lead into a back air quite well, however. Do you think that Marth's game will have an emphasis on grabs? Or do you think that spacing and opponent placement control will be more important?

On a side note, if you see people discussing Marth combat, or if they ask questions about it in other threads - Direct them here. This isn't just a Q&A, it's a Marth combat thread. Please, I'd like to reduce the number of thread on the Marth boards; and keep each thread focused.
Actualy, Back when I first unlocked Marth, I thought he was awesome. (I was a noob. I'll admit it) When we unlocked Roy all my freinds played as him, and because we were all noobs, and all roys attacks are stronger, (Maybe not Fsmash. because of Tip) I always lost, but I still used Marth.

Spacing and Enemy placement have always been Key to Marth (I love repeatedly Fsmashing somebody into a wall, have them fly straight back into anothe Fsmash untill they fly too far. haha)

I Agree, Keep the Number of Marth threads down, Quality over quantity, Right?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
idk marths f throw is different and flows into SHDF
and spacing will be very important due to the large trajectory gap
and grabing will always be used for tech chasing

and i have already directed roys amazing to the marth FAQ many times but.....

Irow

Smash Ace
Does anyone have the percents for Marth's Shieldbreaker? I also need a solid percent for Dolphin Slash.

Personally, I believe his Down Smash will play a much more important role in Marth gamplay. It starts up quick and is quite powerful. It also has like a massive range boost; it's reminiscent of Link's down smash.

What do you guys think of Upsmash out of shield? It seems to have properties similar to Roy's from Melee. It now sucks your opponent in.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have the percents for Marth's Shieldbreaker? I also need a solid percent for Dolphin Slash.
I saw a reverse dolphin slash, but the point of contact was the spot 1/4 up from the bottom and it did 14%. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPO02OOtMFA 5:46
what i could tell from a vid the shield breaker at 2, 3, and 3 sec charge can do 12, 18, and 21 respectively, but i couldn't tell if it was a full charge due to two ikes making combat noises.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
itll be a rough change the bases of l canceling is gone but u could probly play the same except edgeguarding but personaly i think his metagame will make a big changr

sry irow i havent seen a good shot of the SB

Irow

Smash Ace
Really, we can't answer that question at that point.

However, at face value, Marth will seem much like his Melee counterpart. His underlying mechanics and metagame will have changed to accommodate a much stronger ground game.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Really, we can't answer that question at that point.

However, at face value, Marth will seem much like his Melee counterpart. His underlying mechanics and metagame will have changed to accommodate a much stronger ground game.
Right, and even "Face value" Is mostly speculation.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Right, and even "Face value" Is mostly speculation.
No, we have videos to go off of. And there are people that have english copies of the game (because some of the pre-orders came in today.)

Marth does look like he'll be easy enough to adapt to, but not as easy to pick up from scratch as he was in melee.

MonsterCC

Smash Cadet
Luckily I have never really learned wave dashing and don't use L-canceling, so their absence in this game helps more than it hurts xD

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
No, we have videos to go off of. And there are people that have english copies of the game (because some of the pre-orders came in today.)

Marth does look like he'll be easy enough to adapt to, but not as easy to pick up from scratch as he was in melee.
The Videos are better than looking at Dojo Pics, but we dont -REALLY- know how Marth feels/plays, we can only look. and speculate like "Oh, his attacks look like they start up faster".

Besides, I doubt any of us have those Pre-orders

looking = Speculation (speculation = Spectator = Watcher = Eye Sight used)

Luckily I have never really learned wave dashing and don't use L-canceling, so their absence in this game helps more than it hurts xD
Same here. I used to SHFFL a little. not much.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI

I mean they have the enlglish version of brawl right now, so yes the US preorder. Not all of the preorders where filled though.

They also have brawl up and running at the *Pound 3* tournament going on today and tommorrow. My friend just called me and told me about it. I'm not going to ask him to test anything for me because they're charging $5.00 per match.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI

I mean they have the enlglish version of brawl right now, so yes the US preorder. Not all of the preorders where filled though.

They also have brawl up and running at the *Pound 3* tournament going on today and tommorrow. My friend just called me and told me about it. I'm not going to ask him to test anything for me because they're charging $5.00 per match.
Im so totaly going to my Gamestop ASAP.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im camping outside gamestop with a few bros...yea were getin there early to be the first ones to get it :)

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
ok we're getting off topic now.
im really excited that the >B can actually combo well now.

TheMexicanMuffinMan

Smash Rookie
You know how in melee, if you press >B really fast, the combo will stop after the first two strikes? It seems thats no longer the case in brawl, it comes out really fast and smooth.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
You know how in melee, if you press >B really fast, the combo will stop after the first two strikes? It seems thats no longer the case in brawl, it comes out really fast and smooth.
Dont forget the lack of Glow. thats another good thing, Mixes things up more, harder to tell what move marth is doing, y'know?

ok we're getting off topic now.
im really excited that the >B can actually combo well now.
Meh, Brawl Release is one of the best topics ever. but, its not to be talked about here (Okay, Maybe a little)

Still need my question answered this -IS- a Q&A Thread.

Irow

Smash Ace
Yeah it looks like forward b is going to play a large part in doing damage. In the videos I've watched, it's almost always a combo breaker. It looks like it'll play a good deal in controlling your opponent.

Irow

Smash Ace
Did you guys read Ryoko's thread on how the more you hit a move, the less knockback it has? Normally this sounds like it could be bad, but think about it. I propose that it'll actually help Marth.

Considering how much knockback the Fair has now, it's considerably harder to combo - although it is still as useful, or even more so than it's Melee counterpart. However, if you use the Fair enough, you could have knockback low enough to string together multiple SHDF and possibly make Ken Combo a viable move.

Top Bottom