• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Question and Answer Thread - Incomplete Percent Data added!

Irow

Smash Ace
This thread's purpose is to answer common Marth gameplay questions. It was inspired by Emblem Lord's Melee Marth Q&A thread.

If you have any question regarding Marth gameplay; ask it here, and I or any other knowledgeable person will answer it to the best of our ability. I implore you to ask only questions that apply to Marth in actual combat. Please go to the Marth Discussion Thread to post on topics that are not strictly combat based.

Before answering a question, make sure you know what you are talking about. If you are wrong, please be prepared to be corrected. We do not want anyone on the Marth boards provided with misinformation.

This thread will also serve as a FAQ on common Marth techniques until a proper guide is made.
------Frequently Asked Questions-----
Q. How do you unlock Marth?
A. Play 10 brawls Finish Classic mode on any difficulty level Get Marth to join your party in The Subspace Emissary

Q. Is Marth weaker than he was in Melee?
A. No, Marth is actually stronger when you compare percents. Knockback is increased on a lot of moves as well. To verify it yourself, go check out the Percent Data below and compare it to Melee.

Q. Does Marth have less range?
A. Yes, Marth does have a noticeably shorter sword. It gives him one of the longest physical ranges in the game, however.

Q. Is Marth slower?
A. This is disputable for running speed. Some say faster, some say slower. However, attackwise, he is much quicker. His speed is matched with Diddy Kong. It puts him in the higher echelon of speed.

Q. How much lag does Marth have?
A. Relatively none. Before and After lag on all his moves is small, even more so when compared to the rest of the cast. His aerials are so fast, you might feel like he is auto L-canceling everything but his dair. Marth is one of those characters who arguably does not need L-Cancel in Brawl.

Q. Does Marth still have an insanely long grab range?
A. No. Marth does not have the range he had in Melee. It's quite a bit shorter.
Q. Can Marth still perform two Fairs in one short hop?
A. Yes, Marth can perform SHDF. He can also use all of his other moves from the first fair. It is also rumored that you can short hop double uair.

Q.Does Marth's Forward B still give a boost to recovery?
A. Yes, although it is debated to what extent. It is said that it only stops momentum. Instead of Forward B, Neutral B now gives a boost.

Q. Does Marth's Dair still spike?
A. Yes, however it does not have the same range it once did.

Q. Does Marth still have the tip?
A. Yes, and it's not less powerful. In fact, percent wise, Marth's tip is even better. A tipped Front smash can easily kill most characters at 100% or less by the edge.

Q. What are Marth's taunts?
A. One is the taunt from Melee. Translated it means, "Everyone, please look here!" His second taunt is a sword flourish in which he sheathes his sword. His last taunt consists of Marth pointing his sword straight up, a light shines from the tip from his sword, then he flourishes down.

Q. Can Marth still cancel out his down tilt?
A. Confirmed by Emblem Lord, his IASA frames are still in. That means that you can cancel his down tilt with a roll, dodge, dash, jump, or attack before the move actually ends.

________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have any percent data that is accurate to the number, PM me. Also, if you're help on Percent Data - Make sure you write down the percent a move does from at least three different times. Please send me you're numbers.

Irow's Percent Data - Marth

Jab/Tilts
Jab: 3-5%

Continuous Jab

Dash Attack

Getup Attack: 6%

Getup from Ledge: 8%

Front Tilt: 8-15%

Down Tilt: 9-10%

Up Tilt: 10%

Smashes
Front Smash: (Uncharged)11-21%

Down Smash: (Uncharged)15%

Up Smash: (Uncharged)18-25%

Aerials
Neutral Air: 9-16%

Front Air: 8-14%

Back Air: 10-15%

Down Air: 13-15%

Up Air: 10-20%

Special Moves
Neutral B - Shield Breaker:

Forward B- Dancing Blade: Approximately 4%-8$ for each slash.

Down B- Counter: Percent now varies with a 1.1 multiplier. If a move were to do 10%, you would counter and deal 11%. Counter now has a minimum of 8%.

Up B- Dolphin Slash:

Throws
Grab Jab: 2%

Front Throw: 3-4%

Back Throw: 4%

Down Throw: 5%

Up Throw:4%

Irow

Smash Ace
If you could edit your post to include a video, I could be able to make sure; but it seems like you are seeing what could quite possibly one of Marth's new grabs.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hhmmm so ur saying it looks like its all in one motion?

this is all i got
im assuming it was at low damage, and with marths speed buffs (atk wise were sometimes i was like **** that was fast) it was exactly what u said it was

assuming f throw > f smash

that help?

anyways great think now this threads wont get out of hand and get messy

THIS SHOULD BE STICKIED FAST PLZ MODS

Zevox

Smash Lord
A few questions:

With shield breaker being a thrust now, is it less useful?

Can dancing blade still be used to aid in recovery?

Is Dolphin Slash still nigh useless for anything but recovery? (I.e. is it still weak with little knockback and puts you in free fall after being used?)

Does his sword still have the tip sweet spot?

Presuming it does, does his dair still spike when sweet spotted?

Zevox

Irow

Smash Ace
With shield breaker being a thrust, I assume it would be less effective as an edgeguarding technique. But it's power is greater, and uncharged seems to come out at a speed that is inbetween front tilt and front smash. I presume it will see more usage as an actual attack instead of an edgeguard. I can see it used to get a person away from you when you need space.

I've heard that dancing blade's first thrust can only be used one to give a vertical height boost. So yes, it still aids Marth's recovery. Some people say that it remains unchanged from Melee.

I'm not too sure on Dolphin Slash.

Yes, yes Marth still has the tip. And yes, it still is quite powerful.

His dair does spike, although Marth's lesser range, and the game's lack of long hitstun makes it much less useful.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
marth has no new grabs

the new shield breakers could be used for off stg edgeguard but a lot harder to do has a good KOing trajectory and has more rng in a way

no unfortunatly side b does not work for recovery but they are much faster cant escape easily from them

yes we can still spike them into oblivion but it has a little less rng
his up b now moves more horizontal and a tiny bit higher but up b was always a good knockback move its just risky and has more rng and still can be done out of shield

good?

Irow

Smash Ace
Judging from the videos, it's hard to tell. But it definitely is one of the greater ranged grabs in the game. I'm collecting percent data on Marth's moves, so if you have any percents - Please message me. And don't give me a guess either.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im sure it has but ^ hes right and ill help let me go get paper and pen r u gona make a new thread for this?

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
k this is some i got

u tilt 10% sweet
f smash unsweet 14% sweet 20%
u smash 22% sweet
uair 14% sweet
nair 1st hit 3% 2nd 10%
dair 15% of course sweet spotted
bair sweet 15%
fair sweet 14% unsweet 11%
get up 2nd slash 6%
getv up from edge atk 1 (could be more than 1 get up atk) 8%
>b 4% >b 3% >b 4% >4%
4th Vb 6%
grab A 2%
f throw 4%

k now the huge wtf it could be a variation of roys, it could be buffed, or its sweet now or all of em
counter 9% 11% 19%!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

every move is at full power when it has not been spamed and yes i double checked

Irow

Smash Ace
Unless somebody can provide me with another video, I believe that is Marth's up throw. I would have to assume that is a throw, because none of Marth's attacks have that animation. The problem is that it is much too powerful to be a grab. It does 12%. Can somebody post a video of Marth's up throw? Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe this is it.

Unless somebody can provide me with another video, I believe that is Marth's up throw. I would have to assume that is a throw, because none of Marth's attacks have that animation. The problem is that it is much too powerful to be a grab. It does 12%. Can somebody post a video of Marth's up throw? Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe this is it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_sSt3aCGSlo

2:40-2:45

Edit: Wow, how retarted.

Search "SSBB Online Meljin vs Shinkanon".

Irow

Smash Ace
It's fine, but you're telling me that his up throw is the same correct?

That grab counter move is really interesting. It's animation is like nothing I've seen from Marth. Could it be a new counter property? This is interesting.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
holy **** it very well does look like he grabs in the air
hhmmmm is it special only to marth or can every character do that. we need some confirmation on that

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_sSt3aCgSlo
around 3:35 is an up throw, i think it actually only does 4 damage, it looks like he used 2-3 knees before the throw which totaled 9%

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
it definently wasnt a side b, i didnt see and red from a slash, just watch it again he turns around and grabs in midair, if it was side b i call it the god move b/c it was godly fast

im sure it was a grab

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
it definently wasnt a side b, i didnt see and red from a slash, just watch it again he turns around and grabs in midair, if it was side b i call it the god move b/c it was godly fast

im sure it was a grab
if you look closely enough, you can see the sword animation. the sun in the background and bad video quality makes it hard to see though. and besides, its already been said that the >B is already extremely quick now.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I can't really tell because of the quality of the video though. It could be a side B, but it looks like a grab to me.

But, I guess it must've been a side B. Would've been cool to have an airgrab though.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
at first i thought is was a grab b/c it was so fast but i think it was
>b >b ^b ^b
or >b ^b ^b ^b

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Can anyone verify what happened to the Kirby in the first video from Eternal? I haven't been able to figure it out.
it looks very much like a grab, but i doubt it is. its most likely a new part of the >B combo

Irow

Smash Ace
That's pretty cool then. I'm pretty sure Forward B will play a much larger part in damage dealing in Brawl. it seems like a good move now.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well then idk but if it is a grab in there that would be pretty sweet

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
lee harris or somebody said with the floatiness and the stronger fair it will be nearly impossible to do it :(
i could probbly do my version tho :)

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
lee harris or somebody said with the floatiness and the stronger fair it will be nearly impossible to do it :(
i could probbly do my version tho :)
the new "sheik slap" properties of the fair will make it more difficult definitely.
**** roith, youre going to use ike and marth too? ima have to make you my rival.

Irow

Smash Ace
Well, actually I planning on using Ike as well. After Link and Ganon. I mean, I plan on being good with all the sword characters. Except Metaknight, I just don't like how he looks.

Top Bottom