• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rob's CQC pokes I find are less potent than they were at Brawl, but he's otherwise a much more well rounded character.

His down tilt/ftilt used to cleanly outrange us, don't have those same problems from my anecdotal experiences thus far.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
By hopping over you mean just jumping throught it? It´s just I don´t get the verb, i´m not english native
I haven´t tried yet, but maybe airdodge>fair might work . If I try it out ill tell you asap

------
Concerning to Sheik I cant really say I´ve played strong sheik players yet, but I pretty much agree with Shaya. Well spaced dtilts kind of nulify her ground game, whereas fair and ftilt may also be a good way to counter her aerials
No, I meant it the way I said it. Instead of jumping through it, just jump completely over it. It flies towards the ground at an angle, so you can just full hop over it completely. This way you can reach Robin before he is even done with Arcfire's animation, giving you time for a punish.

This is assuming you see it coming, which it's very easy to see.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
No, I meant it the way I said it. Instead of jumping through it, just jump completely over it. It flies towards the ground at an angle, so you can just full hop over it completely. This way you can reach Robin before he is even done with Arcfire's animation, giving you time for a punish.

This is assuming you see it coming, which it's very easy to see.
You mean full hop fast fall turn around grab?

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
What characters do you think are good secondaries for Marth that play better vs his bad MUs?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, anything you may struggle with on Marth right now, your lowest work into highest reward choice is Sheik.
"oh someone's just playing lame /camping you really hard and you don't have much luck"? Well needles and backroll will help!

If you want the similar mindset/play patterns, probably Pit. Shouldn't really have any contrasting match ups, just an easier/more consistent character.

Personally, my "secondary" with the most work is Falco (been this way since meree).
"Oh character makes recovering hard?" - No problem I can act out of Side-B!
"Oh no, character just wants to throw **** at me without fighting" - No problem, DOWN Bbbb and dash attackkkkk

But I've been working on my :4myfriends::4pikachu::4pit::4robinm::4tlink::4zss: otherwise. Robin's starting to look like a golden ticket mentally.

["ensuring you have an idea" tertiaries: :4diddy::4sheik::4sonic:
MUST UNDERSTAND THESE CHARACTERS BETTER THAN THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY THEM, VROOM VROOM.]

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pit is fun but i feel marth is a tiny bit better at sealing the ko. I also feel they have similar gameplans. Pit isnt way better than marth so to me its like, why dedicate the time to learn him.

Im between sheik and zss as my secondaries. Leaning towards zss but sheik is so damn easy.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, in the long run I'm not sure if Pit will be better than Marth, but all signs show him being an easier to use character with similar capabilities.
The really short dash to shield length is so good, makes controlling ground space super easy.
That forward tilt is classy.
A fast follow up heavy dash attack.
And that's some nice tools, but they only really seem to make Pit just an easier to use, not necessarily better.
I think the fact that all of pit's aerials auto cancel out of short hop and that he cannot 'start' any other aerials in a short hop (other than down air) makes controlling him right now 50x easier. With Marth/Lucina you can't actually buffer with your aerial actions lest you throw out a move that won't come out that's giving you 15 frames of landing lag, Pit has to put less work in his inputs/timing to achieve similar pressure; the lower landing lag on his aerials accentuates this as well.
Multi-hit/long duration aerials also allows him to more easily stay in an advantageous situation/wreck people's dodge actions.

Then there's the grab game.
But yeah, easier by a large margin, that can be enough to equate to better/more viable.

But god dammit is not being able to hold shield in advance for landing after using an aerial a lot of balls.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey, not being able to buffer through Marth's aerial actions reliably is pretty annoying to a "technical" Brawl player like myself (where Brawl's technical threshold was one's ability to buffer).

I'm pretty sure that in itself is enough to make most people playing Marth on first glance want to stop because it seems like such unintuitive holding back (he gets 4 frames out of his uair in fair->uair, imagine for a second if those aerials bar fair still had auto cancels prior to their hitboxes? THIS WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM AT ALL, I'D BE ****ING FREE STYLING). But there's obvious quirks/realities to this that work for us (we're able to still act out of a short hop aerial in the air).

That stuff will still be finicky off-3DS, but I guess being able to "split up my hands" between C-Stick/A button and two shield buttons will make those foibles less pronounced.

That's why I say "auto cancels on aerials" is all this char needs to flow better.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Meh. Match up wise i see them having virtually the same ratios. Pit doing better vs some chars while marth doing better vs some others.

Mellow Soul

Smash Rookie
Okay, so bias but here are the match ups I think we'll be struggling with this game:

:4sonic:

That's about it. Here are some nuisances:
:4dk::4lucario::4ness::4palutena::4pikachu::4sheik::4yoshi::4diddy:

I'm still yet to ascertain Marth's power level in this game, as he is still so similar to his Brawl stature in all but numbers, it's really hard to pinpoint whether he's going to end up 60:40ing everyone (like in Brawl for the most part, towards the uppers were like 55:45s) or as low as 40:60ing everyone. Either way, I don't think there's anyone to blame for losing but yourself, unless that *** hole plays Sonic.
This is with mostly base moveset in mind, neutral/normals and what have you; all of our 'good' custom specials seem to give little extra opportunities for punishes or hard punishes (or survival) but I think it's fair to say that our hard match ups will not suddenly just turn solid advantages with dash assault in mind.

Match ups in this game thus far don't go the same way as they do in Brawl, and it's the reason why instead of going with out of 100, we decided to go by this plus/minus system up to 4, match ups that would probably be 80:20 in real "other fighting community terms" (i.e. MK vs everyone) would be +2 a lot of the time for how we ended up thinking about match ups; the reason for this was because in most match ups there was a clique the character could exist in that made them strong/viable (usually through camping) for as long as that could be maintained, the opposing character wouldn't necessarily have any means of getting around it, but the better character shouldn't really put themselves in that scenario in the first place (but eh, within a region, results could show anything to correspond to that). Marth played even with most characters at top level, but still by design had advantages the opponent's character didn't naturally have tools to deal with. Stuff like Marth being crippled on the ledge by Triple Jump/RCO Lag (and so many other characters were dealt with similar/worse ****) usually cost him stocks and could probably be put into an out of 100-games ratio but by design or by some notion of "player skill avoidance" we tended to ignore (or downplay) those negatives unless they were truly unavoidable (pre-100% we had a lot of different ledge options still, post 100% there's... two).

Avoid the grab and the match up is even doesn't seem to be a consideration we have to take in this game. There isn't much more to be concerned with other than face value common fighting, ability to revenge kill/mount a come back to some extent but it's minor. So for me to say disadvantage, there is no hocus pocus, other than perhaps stages (FD meta is kinda sickening and is still all I have to really go off).

We'll see how we go with others, but I think we should be keeping the above in mind.
I have a lot of trouble with Sheik and Diddy Kong. The former I can hold my ground against, but I think my issue with Diddy is I have no idea how to deal with him at all xD. I messed around with him in training to get a grasp, but it only made a slight improvement on the match up for me. Anyone have any tips vs Diddy?

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I am really struggling against Diddy Kong (on 3DS) - any advice. I am trying to bait, nair approach and change up the way I attack to avoid his grabs and combo's - but I just cant seem to get on top of him. The ones i've played seem happy enough when I stay away, and delighted when I get in close.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
gonna be honest. on 3ds the match is pretty silly. on wii u its a slight disadvantage.

on 3ds you are better off counter picking. cant space properly or punish properly. this is my experience vs Jtails who is arguably the strongest Diddy in the country if not the planet at the moment.

Owangepuffs

Smash Rookie
So I got str8 rekt the other day (3DS) by Peach as Marth. I don't have much experience against this character nor do I play very much at all (blah blah blah excuses I know), but man that match up felt... difficult. R.I.P. air traps. Gotta admit, watching her throw out aerials for free made me /sadface and her dair made me want to choke kittens. I actually had a have a harder time with Peach than Rosa.

So like, what do?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So I got str8 rekt the other day (3DS) by Peach as Marth. I don't have much experience against this character nor do I play very much at all (blah blah blah excuses I know), but man that match up felt... difficult. R.I.P. air traps. Gotta admit, watching her throw out aerials for free made me /sadface and her dair made me want to choke kittens. I actually had a have a harder time with Peach than Rosa.

So like, what do?
I haven't played this matchup in Smash U(Yet) but as a player of both characters, Peach has only one aerial that outranges Marth's sword: FAir. So for Peaches floating above you, FH FAir, NAir, UAir, maybe FTilt and UTilt should do the trick. Also USmash OOS should theoretically punish badly spaced DAirs.

But someone who actually HAS played this matchup can probably tell you better, lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've played it a bit on wifi, and a metric ton in Brawl (one of my most played match ups, including top level experience).

With all her bug fixes, it ain't too bad. My personal issue that I find is her fsmash now, which seems to kill extremely early and is larger in range than previous games, you don't really expect it.

Basically, her fair is slow enough that you can react to it with counter. Stuff like jab is a god send in dealing with her both on the ground and during float.

It's easier to challenge her aerials with back air and neutral air than with fair. In Nair's case she kinda has to drop what's she's doing and land and shield to deal with it if we're spacing (I'm not 100% sure if it still does, but it did out disjoint peach's fair in brawl).

Respect aerials on your shield into jab (hold shield a little bit longer for the jab). Take your time/pick the right moment to roll away to reset the scenario, Peach doesn't have a solid means of punishing the reset, but if she's on top of you then she can hit you before you roll, so be smart/careful.

It's a spacing match up, and Marth's tools naturally come out on top although Peach is a very solid character in this game.

Try to explain exactly what's going wrong in the match up for you if you want more precise advice.

Owangepuffs

Smash Rookie
Honestly it's really just my inexperience with the match up and my impatience that gets me killed. Turnip > me.

I tried to challenge her with fair but I didn't use Nair or bair very much. Instant float fair is pretty hard to punish as she just weaves right out of my attack range during the move's recovery. Wasn't confident in my countering it because WiFi pls.

Not enough use of 4 frame jab on my end either. I won't need any specific advice other than how to deal with turnip traps because turnip traps are wtf. The information you've given me will suffice.

Thanks.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
gonna be honest. on 3ds the match is pretty silly. on wii u its a slight disadvantage.

on 3ds you are better off counter picking. cant space properly or punish properly. this is my experience vs Jtails who is arguably the strongest Diddy in the country if not the planet at the moment.
Thanks as always Emblem Lord.

I ordered the WIi U today (black friday in the UK helps ...) - but the bad news is that its a gift for xmas for my brother (yes I am nice like that) - so while I'll be playing Wii U soon (1 month) I'll have to put up with this match up.

But yeah the diddys I am playing are so far away from the best. But gotta start somewhere. Can't expect to be a tournament winner overnight.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Thanks as always Emblem Lord.

I ordered the WIi U today (black friday in the UK helps ...) - but the bad news is that its a gift for xmas for my brother (yes I am nice like that) - so while I'll be playing Wii U soon (1 month) I'll have to put up with this match up.

But yeah the diddys I am playing are so far away from the best. But gotta start somewhere. Can't expect to be a tournament winner overnight.
Exactomondo dude, also big props to giving a copy of Smash WiiU to your brother. I'm sure he'll be just as thankful as I was when my friend gave me, his siblings, and my sister a copy of the 3DS Smash (for me specifically, it was a late b day present xD).

I wouldn't be here in the first place had I not gotten that gift. So I'll just say you have my respect in your gift choice sir

Also, I've yet to play any Diddys, so I won't be of much help on that department yet xD Also, got the right spirit in mind; I'm positive you'll get the MU soon enough xD

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
One reason diddy is so strong is that he forces pretty much every character to change their play style while he does whatever. You cannot play diddy like you'd play a Mario/Zelda/Ike/most characters. I'd argue playing aggressively is detrimental in this mu. The risk/reward is highly in diddys favor and marth has more committing approaches (which he has to due to peanut gun and banana)
My advice would be to stay at midrange and bait the diddy to sideb/run in shield/grab and punish accordingly (pivot grab, retreating fair, up b, up smash(?) Jab, Nair)
Staying at midrange in this mu means being at a range where he can't peanut gun you safely( you can dash db him if he tries to peanut gun) and where if he rolls you can easily react to it(up smash) and also where sideb can be reacted too.

dizney

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdizney
Aside from the obvious Diddy/Shiek match ups, I tend to have a bad match up against Yoshi 90% of the time, but that could just be my inexperience (newish to competitive smash). I'm not sure how to handle the dino at all..

Other than that, I haven't had too many terrible match ups. Most of the time I'm seeing what I messed up on when losing, either being too aggressive or not getting my spacing right, so I don't normally put that on the match ups.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Aside from the obvious Diddy/Shiek match ups, I tend to have a bad match up against Yoshi 90% of the time, but that could just be my inexperience (newish to competitive smash). I'm not sure how to handle the dino at all..

Other than that, I haven't had too many terrible match ups. Most of the time I'm seeing what I messed up on when losing, either being too aggressive or not getting my spacing right, so I don't normally put that on the match ups.
Yoshi is pretty tough to deal with. He's always moving and attacking at the same time which causes a lot of trouble for us, and those eggs are not fun to deal with either.

I practice against a Yoshi regularly and I can only say be extra patient/defensive and space really well. Bait out the Down B and punish with Fair. You're also going to want to use Dtilt and Ftilt a lot this match since he will most likely be coming at you with all of his aerials. These moves really stuff these kinds of approaches, just don't get caught shielding in one spot or spot dodging for too long.

dizney

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdizney
Yoshi is pretty tough to deal with. He's always moving and attacking at the same time which causes a lot of trouble for us, and those eggs are not fun to deal with either.

I practice against a Yoshi regularly and I can only say be extra patient/defensive and space really well. Bait out the Down B and punish with Fair. You're also going to want to use Dtilt and Ftilt a lot this match since he will most likely be coming at you with all of his aerials. These moves really stuff these kinds of approaches, just don't get caught shielding in one spot or spot dodging for too long.
Ah thank you, being patient has seen a lot better results. Also it seems I can be a little more aggressive on stages like Lylat and Battlefield where D-air, Down B, and B-air are less effective with platforms.

Another match up issue I've been having is with Shulk. I played one on for glory for around 10 or so matches, and while I won a majority of them, I can't figure out a good way to edge guard against him due to his Up-B's range. Anyone have any suggestions on how to edge guard against Shulk?

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Ah thank you, being patient has seen a lot better results. Also it seems I can be a little more aggressive on stages like Lylat and Battlefield where D-air, Down B, and B-air are less effective with platforms.

Another match up issue I've been having is with Shulk. I played one on for glory for around 10 or so matches, and while I won a majority of them, I can't figure out a good way to edge guard against him due to his Up-B's range. Anyone have any suggestions on how to edge guard against Shulk?
Well Shulk's recovery is easy to snuff if he doesn't have Jump art active. If he's using vanilla Shulk, then just go off stage and poke him with fair and he won't be coming back. Other than that Shulk gets back on stage pretty well, you're best chance is to go for the kill when he switches to Smash art.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
The only person I'm actually worried about is Lucario because the dude goes SSJ at the end of all of his stocks. It's kind of overwhelming at times.

I think every other matchup is in our favor, even, or a winnable uphill battle. The key is patience.

Just having a lot of trouble with Lucario.
Lucario is hard for me too, you are not alone. He likes to skirmish around the tip, or into non tipper zone just so that he gets into higher percents.

However, just try to get him off stage. If you can get him to land with his Up B near you at above 50% (lower depending on rage), You get a free kill. The landing lag of it is atrocious. Try to bait out Force Palm and then shield it, you should be able to react from it then before he can really react to you. Dolphin Slash is always a good option out of shield, and it will kill at high percents if needed. Don't be afraid to b-reverse it offstage near the ledge, because you should still be able to live after doing so.

What characters do you think are good secondaries for Marth that play better vs his bad MUs?
Personally I've picked up :4falcon: :4fox: :4jigglypuff: :4kirby: and I've started goofing with :4greninja:

Kirby is surprisingly not garbage. Infact, I'd say he's atleast low mid tier in this game. Jiggs is Jiggs. Fox, though nerfed, is still awesome. Falcon is the manliest man you will ever meet.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Welp, played Marth vs. Rosalina tonight. Because I never once played this matchup on Smash 3DS(surprisingly), it...did not end well. Dash Attacked for days, and with Luma, her range feels...ridiculous at times. Because Marth's...Marth, you HAVE to approach, and with Luma on stage, it become a pain in the ass. And FH FAir feels weaker in the matchup, too.

Any tips(HA!) would be appreciated.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Can we take this and turn it into something more orderly, try to compile actual MU data?

TheGreatShal

Smash Cadet
I just got into Marth today, so I knew I wouldnt be really good right off the gate, but man, I fought a Diddy Kong 6 times in a row and lost every single time to him. Anyone else think that marth would have a hard time against Diddy?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth against Diddy requires a lot of patience. A lot of reaction speed. You need to respect the mobility a lot and wait for an ACTUAL opportunity to punish him where he can't win out.

Diddy with banana in hand = not something you approach or aggress against.

never retaliate aggressively to a pressure situation, you must be in positional advantage to attack.

Phoenon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PhoenonX
Mega Man has proven to be quite a pain for me.

I was in an online tourney's Grand Finals against a Mega Man player, custom moves enabled. Back Air relatively safe with a lot of kill power, blocking and even getting hit by a Metal Blade gives him the perfect chance to run up and grab. It's quite hard to edgeguard/gimp him considering it travels so far up vertically giving him the option to delay it for quite a while. NAir might actually work against it but I didn't think to try that.

The damn regular buster shots though too, stops you right in your tracks and you can't seem to run under them as Marth.

I know this is just a matchup thread and not a video thread but damn I'd take any and all advice for this matchup, despite being called one of Marth's good matchups.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Any advice in the Yoshi MU?

I actually have no idea how to defend against/punish his running approach. His running attack is extremely hard to predict ending in front or behind, and if behind he often ends up way too far to punish from a shield/spotdodge. Also, he can easily mixup with a running grab, so counter isn't a good countermeasure.

Should I be timing a backwards roll into something?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Mega Man has proven to be quite a pain for me.

I was in an online tourney's Grand Finals against a Mega Man player, custom moves enabled. Back Air relatively safe with a lot of kill power, blocking and even getting hit by a Metal Blade gives him the perfect chance to run up and grab. It's quite hard to edgeguard/gimp him considering it travels so far up vertically giving him the option to delay it for quite a while. NAir might actually work against it but I didn't think to try that.

The damn regular buster shots though too, stops you right in your tracks and you can't seem to run under them as Marth.

I know this is just a matchup thread and not a video thread but damn I'd take any and all advice for this matchup, despite being called one of Marth's good matchups.
I might be able to help out some. I'm a Mega Man main who's taken quite an interest in Marth (3rd character behind DK). I would agree that Mega Man (at least the way I play him) can struggle against a good Marth, but it takes some understanding of how Mega Man works to really get that. The previous posts here basically say, "outplay him" with empty hop>grab tactics etc. which doesn't really help a whole lot. What you want to do is bully him like a heavy and take stage control. Your speed and option coverage can really mess him up. In your match, you can see that whenever something doesn't work, Mega Man will retreat. This is what makes him great, is that his defensive game can be incredibly safe due to his mobility. He can use metal blade hit-confirms to get grabs and can mixup the pellets with dash attack/dtilt slide to regain stage control, but none of his default projectiles have very much knockback if any (you were probably unfamiliar with Danger Wrap, but its horizontal range on the ground is probably outranged by Marth's fsmash) but if you can corner him and shorten the safe range between his mid-range and your tippers, you can do some serious damage to him. You also generally keep good spacing, so Mega Man's best kill option (utilt) shouldn't be much of an issue outside of whiff punishing. Meanwhile, Usmash/Fsmash/Dsmash are all very punishable and you can punish quite well with FSmash.

That said, Mega Man does excel in things that can hurt you. BAir is great especially paired with his superior aerial mobility, gimping Mega Man is tough since he can double jump/act after up-B giving him the option to recover high quite safely (along with his 0-landing lag buster shots). FSmash can be used to trap your landings from a safe distance (even if you counter it). Your strictly vertical recovery is quite susceptible to DAir spikes and you don't have a ton of "safe" kill moves while Mega Man is deceptively heavy allowing him to gain rage. Also, buster shots can slow you down.

Now, with customs this changes a little bit. Dash Assault might be able to pierce through buster shots which would be nice. On the other side, Danger Wrap can shut down FAir assaults while Ice Slasher gives Mega Man a projectile that gives him stage control.

Don't retreat. Keep advancing, but stay disciplined. If you can do that, I feel like it's slightly in your favor. At the same time, I haven't met a Marth that has bullied me consistently as much as I would bully other Mega Mans, which leads to me having very little trouble with Marth.

(Critique on your video: you roll away too much. Stand your ground.)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hi there, I would like to refer to you all to our new match-up thread. From now on please use that thread to discuss match-ups. That thread will be updated constantly. The new one has a referral to this thread in order to keep the information relevant and recorded for amazing years to come in Smash 4's lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom