• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth in Brawl: The Comprehensive Analysis [1.2] *Spoilers (hidden)*

Wight

Smash Apprentice
Marth in Brawl: The Comprehensive Analysis

Recent Updates[/COLOR]
- Down B: Counter
- USmash
- FSmash

Marth is among the returning veterans from melee, and is one of the veterans returning who seem to be very similar to their representative melee counterparts. Marth has returned again as a hidden character
and is unlocked by getting him to join your party in the SSE (upon beating him) or beating Classic Mode with any characters or playing 10 standard brawls.

Most Marth fans will be glad to know that his moveset is close to unchanged since melee and is still as fast, agile and considerably cheap. His only move which has received a maker over is his natural B move (see next section.) His tipper is still at the end of his sward and is still as powerful. Veteran players and inexperienced Marth players alike should now enjoy Marth's gameplay as it easier to master him than it was in melee. His higher SH and slight increase in floatiness allow players to perform two Fairs with one SH. Marth is also one of the characters that has a majority of auto-L-Canceling air attacks* making his gameplay faster and less tedious for the more casual players.

* Auto L-canceling moves are coined as the moves that seem to have minimal or no lag. In melee most moves had similar lag, but in brawl a character can have moves with high lag and low lag (also know as auto L-canceling moves)

Considerable changes

It's hard at this point to draw definitive conclusions, however from watching youtube videos by professional melee players (playing brawl of course) one notices some considerable changes

Neutral B: Shield Breaker
I'm sure everyone who have watched any video with Marth in it will have noticed that Marth's natural B has been changed from the vertical "Shield Breaker" attack to a new stab like move. It's implications are at this point, unknown. It seems to work as a similar attack though and will probably be as equally vital on combat as in melee (not very)

It is rumored that Marth's forward B provides slight horizontal movement in the air. It has been suggested that this will replace the f-B which no longer gives horizontal distance. However Marth's natural B has considerable after lag, so unless you have been shot at a high angle this move will hardly help in your recovery.

Down B: Counter
Marth still has his counter attack. I know what you are thinking; "but wight! why are you writing about the counter if it is still the same?"
Well marth's counter attack unlike in SSBM does not do 8% with a set knockback. This time around Marth's counter does damage to a 11:10 ratio (x1.1) of incoming attack. Knockback is also contingent on the incoming attack. Ike however has a slightly less counter frames but does according to a 6:5 ratio (1.2x) of damage corresponding to its incoming attack.
Example: Marth counters Pikatchu's skullbash and kills at 103%
(2:20)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7hYdAZV1c
we see that Marth kills pikachu whom is at 103% with his counter dealing 11%. If you watch the entire video you will get more chances to examine the properties of this move as Meljin (marth) uses the move rather frequently. And at points when pikachu has +130% he fails to kill him/her/it. This suggests that the counter's knockback and damage are contingent on the move being countered.

Forward B: Dancing Blade
This attack does not differ much in terms of how it looks from its melee counterpart. The big difference, other than its new obvious colourful look it connects quicker and does less knockback with the first three hits; making it easier to get the combo out on a target at higher percentages. The hits also come out faster than before. My impressions are that this move has been buffed, and would consequently be more useful at competitive levels of play.

This move no longer provides any horizontal distance in air. It is thus no longer a viable recovery move.

Up B: Dolphin Slash
Seems to give more freedom of movement (possible to get slightly more horizontal distance) The attack also when done from the ground has slightly more horizontal knockback than in melee.
reference: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSt3aCgSlo&feature=user (last few seconds)

Fair:
This move actually seems to be exactly the same as in melee, however its uses will differ slightly so it is worth mentioning. Due to brawls increase in "floatiness" it is easier to pull off the combo of two Fairs within a small-hop.

Hitting a target with the sweet-spot of this move will no longer send the target diagonally upwards, rather it will send them horizontally. This move is also now viable as a killing move as it has better knockback than in melee. Hitting with the sweet-spot of this strike now resembles Marth's Bair in melee instead of his Fair.

Up-Smash:

Has been seen to do 25%.
reference: http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6UFj_5FUcU (first few seconds)
Is now worth something when done to a target on the ground. Making Up-A dash canceling a considerable technique to some players. It is also now easier to hit, and has kept its previously high killing power.

Forward-Smash:
Same move as before, however the length of the attack (or hitbox) is slightly decreased, but it will still have your ness playing friend steaming out of his ears.

The hitbox of Marth's Forward Smash has considerably decreased (if you look at the profile of Marth on the DOJO or the image on the start of this document you will see that Marth Sword is indeed shorter). However the tipper hitbox has not changed. A slightly shorter sword and the same tipper hitbox makes it easier to hit with the tipper. Tipper hits range from 18-20% and still have a very flat, horizontal knockback.

However with the lack of wavedashing spacing will be more difficult. This the easier to hit tipper is rather a method of compensation than "ner***e."

Marth's Lag:
Marth's attacks seem to have slightly less after lag and slight more lag before attacks. This would suggest that getting Marth's attacks to link together would be easier.
this lag is noticeable with the following moves at least:
- utilt
- fair
- Fsmash
- Dsmash

Well thats what i've noticed from a number of marth videos. If you disagree please beg to differ and smack up a post. Thats all the changes i could think of at this point-
other than Marth's considerable change in appearance.

Marth's Final Smash "Critical Hit"

Unlike what most people expected, Marth's FS is not a copy of Ike's Great Aether.
Marth's FS is a quick horizontal attack that is similar to Link's FS in the sense that it attacks horizontally to a distance. The difference being that if successful, Marth performs a single blow dealing 60% of damage and killing with almost absolute certaintly.
Reference:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6UFj_5FUcU

The attack which delivers only a single blow can however with its large hitbox hit multiple targets. The attack can also be performed in the air where it behaves as it does on the ground. Unlike commonly speculated Marth's FS does not require a close proximity to the foe such as Zero Suit Samus' FS "Power Suit Samus."

Here is an image of the single cut that Marth enflicts on his target. Lots of speculation is going around on what these bars could mean. Some have suggested that it a meter that determines the power of the knockback; having a random amount of damage like Game and Watch's over-B. Some have suggested that the bars indicate a success rate. As many have have said that marth's FS is too good to be true, that perhaps this bar system compensates for its extreme power. It has been suggested that if the bars are less than a certain level the move will not be performed. At this point it's meaning is yet to be determined.
*Updates* The bars are to represent the epic power of the attack. The bars are like the life bars in Fire Emblem and drain to zero during the move.

Marth's FS is arguable one of be most powerful Final Smashes. However there is much speculation going about saying that if Marth misses his FS he will plummet to his death**. The difficulty of dodging this move has also yet to be seen and is awaiting assessment. One would however, expect that it would as easy/difficult to dodge as that of Zelda's and Sheik's "Light Arrow" Final Smash.

Appearance

In Brawl Marth looks almost exactly alike as his counterpart in the previous smash installment. Marth has of course gotten a new graphics upgrade, but he is still the blue haired, falchion wielding swordsman from Fire Emblem series.
His colour scheme is still the same, primarily blue with yellow highlights.

His outfits are all still the same, blue as default, with red, green and black with yellow highlights and my personal favorite, marth's wight colour scheme- all returning exactly the same as in melee. Only addition being a new light blue/baby blue (baby marth) colour.

Marth in Subspace

Marth first comes into the realm of the Subspace appearing in his castle witnessing another subspace bomb detonated by the ancient minister in the distance outside his castle. Why it detonated in the middle of no-where is a question lacking an answer at this point.
The initial cut scene can be seen by clicking here.
After the cut scene you take Marth's role to rush out of your castle to investigate the mysterious explosion. Marth is met up by Subspace enemies along the way that you need to fight. To view the stage click here.
Upon reaching the purple barrier of the explosion Marth is quickly challenged by Metaknight to a clash of sabers. The appearance of Subspace enemies forces Marth and Metaknight to team up. The cut scene can be seen by by clicking here.
You then fight along side Metaknight to advance forward. *in need of link* Ultimately followed up by a cut scene showing Marth and Metaknight attempting to fight the Ancient Minister. Ike appears and damages the Minister's floater who then get's shot off into the distance. Click here to view cut scene.
You then continue with Marth, Ike and Metaknight. MORE COMING SOON

Marth Game-play Footage

There is a great thread with a compilation of Marth Game-play footage. 1vs1, and 2vs2 so that you can yourselves best assess Marth's potency in singles and teams.

Thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3807192#post3807192

Here are some of a view preliminary vids. Be sure to check out the original thread, many many more new vids and updated often!

1v1

1. Marth(Meljin) vs. Pikachu(Willow): http://youtube.com/watch?v=5142fHYDdBc
(Submited by Jx31) NO SOUND.

2. (Online) Marth (Meljin) vs. Samus (Shinkanon) http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQD7N-cNdYc
(Submited by Jx31)

3. (Online) Fox(Meljin) vs. Marth (Shinkanon): http://youtube.com/watch?v=_sSt3aCgSlo
(Submited by Jx31)

4. (Online) Marth vs. Pit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvKXvW1rGXc
(Submited by Emblem Lord)

5. Marth(Lee) vs. Wolf (Marcus): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPO02OOtMFA

6. Marth vs. Shiek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmIkv9S0nwc

7. Marth (Keitaro) vs. PT (MT): http://youtube.com/watch?v=P4M__G6Mwjw

2v2

OTHER/FFA

1.Marth vs. Lucas vs. Ike vs. Ike (FFA):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NwT3YpIlE
(Submited by Infinidragon615)

2. Marth vs. Kirby vs. Falcon vs. Meta(FFA): http://youtube.com/watch?v=yO3yqRNVwI0
(Submited by Hydde)

3. Marth vs. Bowser(s), FinSmash (Practice):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxL4VGAdGk
(Submited by SNBM)

4. Marth vs. Peach vs. Samus (FFA):http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WOURmsCKhVw
(Submited by SNBM) I think Marth is a different color. Green or Black or somthing. Funny asian speak.(Not like at the Demo!)

MORE TO COME SOON
(Character Profile, SSE involvement with spoiler tags, alternate colours, damage scales, match ups, overview of speculation, videos and more!)

-Wight

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Good Speculation. Meljin is great a great Marth player. end story.

9/10 Could be better organized, Needs a bit more data, afew more videos, see my video thread about those, still kinda small but. meh w/e

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
very nice compilation. i think you could at the detail that forward B in the air does NOT give horizontal recovery distance any longer. the usmash doing 25% seems really nice, and that wasnt even tippered.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
Marth's tap a has a higher slash range, rather than hitting infront of him, it also hits above him
marth's fsmash has a slightly smaller hitbox
his second downsmash strike comes out faster
forward b combo's seems to be able to come out faster, as well as the third and fourth strike may have an increased range
neutral b is rumored to give some horizontal distance in the air
tipper area seems to be a reduced
his attacks come out faster
it's rumored marth's movement rate is slightly slower

Wight

Smash Apprentice
i think you could at the detail that forward B in the air does NOT give horizontal recovery distance any longer.
I was considering putting that, but because i had no proof and i knew had i said it with out referencing i could possibly have been flamed. If you can find a clear example in a video please do share and ill put it up.

Marth's tap a has a higher slash range, rather than hitting infront of him, it also hits above him
Do you mean his f-tilt? I think his f-tilt hit upwards in melee as well. Change maybe, maybe not, but i wouldnt say its considerable change.

marth's fsmash has a slightly smaller hitbox
I noticed this too, but wasn't sure of it. But now that i know someone shares the view i'd think its worth putting up. Thanks

it's rumored marth's movement rate is slightly slower
I have seen Marth dash and did not see any change worth noting. The speed seemed almost exact in my eyes.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
I just saw a match of meljin and it appeared he used >b to stop moving horizontally, so maybe it can be used once as a recovery move after being knocked back? i'm not sure.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
I just saw a match of meljin and it appeared he used >b to stop moving horizontally, so maybe it can be used once as a recovery move after being knocked back? i'm not sure.
It doesn't have any set direction like melee did with Marth's over-B and air dodges, so i don't see how being able to stop horizontal movement (assuming you mean to reduce knockback) would be possible.

Purgatory

Smash Rookie
So it seems recovering Horizontaly with >B ist possible no more. Question is in melee, >B's very small inital lag made it spammable to get back on the stage horizontaly. Can you rapidly spam B without charging it and it goes this fast? or that it has some sort of beginning lag which makes it not as useful horizontal recovery as >B was in melee.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
So it seems recovering Horizontaly with >B ist possible no more. Question is in melee, >B's very small inital lag made it spammable to get back on the stage horizontaly. Can you rapidly spam B without charging it and it goes this fast? or that it has some sort of beginning lag which makes it not as useful horizontal recovery as >B was in melee.
Im not sure what you mean, but the reason the >B does not give horizontal distance is because of the new game engine that has the basic laws of momentum built in. Melee did not, which meant that if at attack made you go forward like Marth's >B which made him take a step forward, did so every time regardless of momentum. Same scenario for Air Dodging, in melee it ignored momentum and took the direction what ever was input at the time. Because this is not the case the >B no longer "gives momentum" and thus does not give horizontal direction just like air dodging now makes you go in the direction of your momentum at any given time.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You should note that the fair works differently than in melee. A sweetspotted fair no longer sends an opponent up, but instead it sends them straight sideways. It's also got a lot of knockback and can be considered a kill move.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
You should note that the fair works differently than in melee. A sweetspotted fair no longer sends an opponent up, but instead it sends them straight sideways. It's also got a lot of knockback and can be considered a kill move.
That is true, thank you for bringing it up.

Grifflame

Smash Cadet
The bar that pops up during his final smash looks exactly like a health bar in any Fire Emblem game. I would assume it is there to get the message across that it is a strong attack.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
The bar that pops up during his final smash looks exactly like a health bar in any Fire Emblem game. I would assume it is there to get the message across that it is a strong attack.
Ah yes that is true. I just had that confirmed by a friend who owns both brawl and Radient Dawn (that was the latest wii FE, yeah)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Notes about his FS:
If you're on the ground when you use it, you will follow the contour of the ground. You will stop at the end of platforms if you happen to hit one while zipping across it.
If you use it in the air, unless you hit or started the move on the far side of the screen and facing in, you will probably die. This is thanks to it's ridiculous horizontal movement and the fact that Marth's recovery isn't -that- good.
If you hit someone with the FS and someone runs into you while their health bar is still draining, the new target will die too LOL.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Haha. Glad to see my stuff in there, good job with this entire thing (Changed alot, from what I can see) Im going to miss those Counter frames though /sigh

Gonna be DBlue Marth d(' 'd)

Wight

Smash Apprentice
Haha. Glad to see my stuff in there, good job with this entire thing (Changed alot, from what I can see) Im going to miss those Counter frames though /sigh

Gonna be DBlue Marth d(' 'd)
Well the point isnt for me to present my opinion. If i did that, you did that, we would have countless numbers of threads (just look at the standard brawl boards). Thats why my thread is a collective opinion based on as much fact as possible. Thats why i update it all the time.

I'm still in the process of researching, and writing. Probably next i'll put up some statistic like damage scaling, weighting and such. I try to stay away from match up info, combo potentiality, use of techs etc, because we dont know much of the game at all.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Doesn't his side B give horizontal distance on the first time it's used before performing a midair jump?

Wight

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't his side B give horizontal distance on the first time it's used before performing a midair jump?
Unfortunately no it does not. Making his recovery that much worse. I dont think it will be missed too much. Since Marth is good enough as it is.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
Shield Breaker gives little, if any horizontal distance when uncharged. The charge time isn't too long though, so a full Shield Breaker can be easily used to gain horizontal distance if you're knocked far off the edge. Of course, there are very few situations where you wouldn't be able to DI back though. At least, from my experiences.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Unfortunately no it does not. Making his recovery that much worse. I dont think it will be missed too much. Since Marth is good enough as it is.
This vid says otherwise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STYxxmmi8_M

5:22 and 5:48. Marth does his side B and gains height from it. Maybe you have to do the side B at the peak of the jump to gain any height from it this time around. That wasn't just continuing his vertical momentum, because if you look closely, he used it at the point where his vertical momentum stalled.

6:36 was wierd too. Apparently Marth's up B hits behind him when reversed now, or makes him turn around before doing it.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
This vid says otherwise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STYxxmmi8_M

5:22 and 5:48. Marth does his side B and gains height from it. Maybe you have to do the side B at the peak of the jump to gain any height from it this time around. That wasn't just continuing his vertical momentum, because if you look closely, he used it at the point where his vertical momentum stalled.
I looked at it over and over again and failed to notice anything significant. At best it gives a little pause, but the momentum does not change, still goes on afterwards as it would had you not used it. And regardless, when i wrote about his forward B i wrote about it as a recovery techinique, and because it doesnt give any horizontal or vertical distance in recovery it is useless. A millisecond pause wont do you any good in terms of recovery. Mind games are a totally different thing.

6:36 was wierd too. Apparently Marth's up B hits behind him when reversed now, or makes him turn around before doing it.
It was like this in melee. No change

GIJOE

Smash Rookie
hey guys i must agree that tilt b is no longer a recovery option but look at the neutral b??? in one vid i saw a incredible gain in distance when used in the air...any one know for sure?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I looked at it over and over again and failed to notice anything significant. At best it gives a little pause, but the momentum does not change, still goes on afterwards as it would had you not used it. And regardless, when i wrote about his forward B i wrote about it as a recovery techinique, and because it doesnt give any horizontal or vertical distance in recovery it is useless. A millisecond pause wont do you any good in terms of recovery. Mind games are a totally different thing.

It was like this in melee. No change
You really didn't notice it? His momentum had already slowed to a stop before he did the side B. Notice that the first time he did the side B he was already rising significantly slower than after he did the side B (indicating that he did the side B near the peak of the jump). Notice that he was doing a short hop, and yet his ending height after the side B was higher than that of a short hop. The second time reacts the same way as it did in melee, canceling all momentum and then giving a slight boost.

I suspect that the side B has simply changed, and that it only gives you a boost if you were rising when you used it. Now that may sound crazy, but try using the side B right before the peak of your jump and see what happens. Then compare that height to a normal jump and see if it's any higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Z9RcW-nzM&NR=1
Notice that he uses the side B right after his double jump many times in this match, and each time he does it he ends up lower than a normal double jump. That proves that you in fact don't keep the same momentum. That means that the side B could still give the boost, but it gives the boost under different conditions than it did in melee. I propose that the condition is that you must be rising (even if you're only rising a little bit) when you do the side B, and that it cancels your momentum, and then gives you the boost if the condition above was met. Note that in all the places I mentioned momentum, I meant vertical momentum only.

Here's an easy way to test this if you have the game. Go to stage builder an put a platform just barely above Marth's short hop range (by making the stage with a low platform, testing it, and moving it up a few pixels at a time until Marth's SH no longer reaches it). Then try what I mentioned above. Short hop and right before you reach the peak of the short hop (you must still be rising) do the side B. Then just note whether or not you made it onto the platform.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
You really didn't notice it? His momentum had already slowed to a stop before he did the side B. Notice that the first time he did the side B he was already rising significantly slower than after he did the side B (indicating that he did the side B near the peak of the jump). Notice that he was doing a short hop, and yet his ending height after the side B was higher than that of a short hop. The second time reacts the same way as it did in melee, canceling all momentum and then giving a slight boost.

I suspect that the side B has simply changed, and that it only gives you a boost if you were rising when you used it. Now that may sound crazy, but try using the side B right before the peak of your jump and see what happens. Then compare that height to a normal jump and see if it's any higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Z9RcW-nzM&NR=1
Notice that he uses the side B right after his double jump many times in this match, and each time he does it he ends up lower than a normal double jump. That proves that you in fact don't keep the same momentum. That means that the side B could still give the boost, but it gives the boost under different conditions than it did in melee. I propose that the condition is that you must be rising (even if you're only rising a little bit) when you do the side B, and that it cancels your momentum, and then gives you the boost if the condition above was met. Note that in all the places I mentioned momentum, I meant vertical momentum only.

Here's an easy way to test this if you have the game. Go to stage builder an put a platform just barely above Marth's short hop range (by making the stage with a low platform, testing it, and moving it up a few pixels at a time until Marth's SH no longer reaches it). Then try what I mentioned above. Short hop and right before you reach the peak of the short hop (you must still be rising) do the side B. Then just note whether or not you made it onto the platform.

It's not so much that i didnt notice it, its just that its in just this video. Ive seen so many video's where the overB has done nothing.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's not so much that i didnt notice it, its just that its in just this video. Ive seen so many video's where the overB has done nothing.
Then what causes it to happen in just this video. Have you ever noticed that in all the other videos that Marth was falling before he did the side B? I'm just asking someone to try out my theory, cause so far I haven't found any evidence against it.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Interesting theory.... maybe it could work...

talking also about the shield breaker... i have noticed that a few marth use it... and i think i have not seen anyone hit with it yet... at least not in higher %...

my question is.... in high % it has potential for horizontal kills? and how much it affects shields this time around?

fos

Smash Cadet
i have a question... my "main" in melee is marth, but im not a good player because i bought melee since i got the wii last december... so, my Q is: should i'll be worried about the techniques i didnt learned on melee for this brawl's marth?? or it would be different and i have the chance to improve the new marth??

thanks

Top Bottom