• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Brawl Downgrade

Cpt.FalconFox

Smash Apprentice
Marth in the new brawl is pretty much a sucky character now( i dunno why i still use him :psycho: ) any his sword is now shorter and i dunno if its me but its hard to run up and grab like i use 2, also when i do pull off a grab i cant slam and then smash attack like in melee since when u grab and slam em in the ground they shoot up in the air instead of staying on the ground, I will say i like his new B move of him extending the sword but other then that marth isnt as good as he use to be. Ike even though slow tank character is actually funner to use but hey thats just me

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lol...

He's still considered one of the best characters in the game though...arguably he's a little worse off in the American version, but even then he's still going for top tier.

Unless someone will prove me wrong. But I don't believe that all the griping is for no reason.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This thread fails so hard.

You wanna talk about nerfing?

Look at what they did to Captain Falcon.

Now THAT'S a Nerf.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
If you compare it to what they did to Kirby between 64 and melee and Falcon between melee and brawl, Marth got off easy.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Lol...

He's still considered one of the best characters in the game though...arguably he's a little worse off in the American version, but even then he's still going for top tier.

Unless someone will prove me wrong. But I don't believe that all the griping is for no reason.
None of the characters were changed(nerfed/buffed) in the American version.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
None of the characters were changed(nerfed/buffed) in the American version.
Actually they were.

Marth got some landing lag on his Fair, and Metaknight and Pit's air jumps were made slightly shorter. I think Falco's lasers fire slightly slower as well.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
man they shyd have buffed the other chars not nerf the good ones

HolyChef

Smash Ace
nice troll job.
what in the world are you talking about. if marth is sucky, u should tell the people i beat. i do like your reasons though:
1) his sword is shorter
2) YOU cant grab with him
and
3) he throw into a smash

awesome reasons dude! nevermind i take it back marth sucks from all of what you said. im gonna stop using him. anyway, i dont think ike is "FUNNER" to play with. i think he is MORE FUN to play with. gg.

DaGarbageMang

Smash Cadet
Well ofcourse he has, in Melee he was basically a cheat character, being so strong and easy to use. I'm happy he has been nerfed, he deserved it.
cheat character that's easy to use lol what a broad statement. Marths ease of use in Melee applies only to noobs who want to become the champion noob out of his noob friends. I myself was a champion marth noob out of my noob friends with my unstoppable technique of dashing around with horrible spacing slamming the c stick left and right all day. Then smashboards was discovered by my brother and I started on the long and dedicated road of becoming a shffling, WDing, chain grabbing, ken comboing, super spacing truly competitive marth.

Melee Marth was easy for noobs to pick up once they discovered how to spam the c stick. Melee Marth was not relatively easy to use at a pro level, as no characters are easy to use at a pro level.

I expected him to be nerfed in Brawl because I figured Sakurai didn't want mindless c stick noobs having such an edge like in Melee. And now after playing Brawl and the new Marth for a good while I'm very happy to see him nerfed far less than I expected. Since last year I was sure I would be maining hiim in Brawl unless there was some other character introduced that did the 'Marth thing' as I call it better than Marth himself or unless he was nerfed drastically into a character who didn't play and feel similar to the Melee Marth I knew and loved. It took my first Brawl match in which I used Marth to see that he was good to go for me to main. Nothing is more satisfying than stringing together some Marth fairs.

Cpt.FalconFox

Smash Apprentice
This thread fails so hard.

You wanna talk about nerfing?

Look at what they did to Captain Falcon.

Now THAT'S a Nerf.
i know ppl r saying Cpt.falcon has been nerfed but when i played as him he feels just about the same, except now he can spin around and do his falcon punch which is a good thing for him:laugh: , and i would say he is the 2nd fastest running character next to sonic( sonic is to fast for his own good )

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I'm sorry but Captain Falcon has without a doubt lost most of his good abilities and telling us that "you can change the direction of the falcon punch" makes it all the more lame. In melee Falcon had two things going for him; speed and combo potential, both were needed to you could set up the knee which was his true killing move. With brawl...Falcon feels clunky with his knee being exceedingly difficult to land on short character like Lucas and the stun that most of Falcon's moves don't even give him the time to use the knee. Marth lost a little range and the broken grab range of his, Falcon practically lost all that made him, well Falcon.
Reverse falcon punch < Functional knee
So lame with what they did to him:(

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dude he was wayy too good in melee they had to do something to fit the .. brawl vision. hes STILL good. thats how good he is. hes able to get nerfed and be one of the best? yeah bro... altho it pisses me off to no end his new sucky range and that dam place i get caught in his UpB in final des. its the dumbest suicide

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
dude he was wayy too good in melee they had to do something to fit the .. brawl vision. hes STILL good. thats how good he is. hes able to get nerfed and be one of the best? yeah bro... altho it pisses me off to no end his new sucky range and that dam place i get caught in his UpB in final des. its the dumbest suicide
I'm assuming you meant Marth, not C.F.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
This whole thread is not worth having. Saying that marth is downgraded because he cant combo with his throws is stupid, because virtually no character can do that in brawl !

You are all talking about this game like it was supposed to be a patch, and it turned out to nerf characters. newsflash guys; this is not a melee patch. Most comparisons between characters and their melee selves are awkward, because the fundamental focus of the game lies in different aspects.

I do agree that captain "hotstuff/nipple muscle" falcon should have had more going for him in brawl but he still has a good aerial edgekill chasing, which most chars seem to lack this time around.

Epick

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that overall Marth is a better character....

I mean they nerfed his sword length and grab range. I was pissed at my initial impression of Marth but after getting used to his new hitboxes (in about 30 minutes) it really dawned on me that he is GREAT. He is going to move up the tier list for sure in my opinion (lowly as it is).

Think about it, just for giving up a couple inches on the sword we get:

-A great up B move (out of shield abuse much?)
-An upgraded side B combo that rocks
-A broken down B counter with actual knockback
-And overall ability to send players sailing with tippers now at insanely low %

I think superficially he may appear slightly worse, but play through it and you'll realize that other characters have the same problems he has dealing with the changes. A lot of characters have their grab ranges reduced. Since you can't really combo much anyway, losing the ability to combo out of throws doesn't bother me much. I use throws now to put them in a general direction where I want them (I often find myself throwing them up).

Top Bottom