• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth 1.1.0 Patch Changes

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Nair
  • Untipped first hitbox damage: 2 > 3
  • Tipped first hitbox damage: 3 > 4
  • Untipped second hitbox damage: 6 > 7
  • Tipped second hitbox damage: 8 > 9
Fair
  • Landing Lag: 18 > 16
Bair
  • Landing Lag: 19 > 17
Uair
  • Landing Lag: 16 > 14
Dair
  • Landing Lag: 28 > 24
Utilt
  • Total Frames: 39 > 36
Dancing Blade
  • Input for next strike window extended by five frames for all hits.
Shield Breaker
  • Total Frames reduced by 2: (52 > 50 uncharged / 111 > 109 charged)
Storm Thrust
  • Total Frames reduced by 2
Dashing Assault
  • Total Frames reduced by 2:
Dolphin Slash
  • Landing lag: 23 > 20
Crescent Slash
  • Landing lag: 37 > 34
Dolphin Jump
  • Landing lag: 43 > 40
Spotdodge
  • Intangibility: 3-18 > 3-17
Rolls
  • Intangibility: 4-19 > 4-18

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Thanks A_Kae! Added the data prefix. Let's see if the Hero King will bring some new surprises.

Last edited:

Didier337

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4742-5843-4940
Seeing how well they made roy,hopefully they can make Marth more viable.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
The reason they weren't updated (at least speaking for mine) was because it took forever/never for there to be confirms in the form of data dumps so we had solid information to post. In my case, I didn't want to post false information as definite, especially when a lot of people were disagreeing over finer points.
That aside, lets hope for some buffs. My hunch is that we'll see some. I feel like the waters are being tested balance wise with the other swordsmen whilst they tentatively move Marth closer to being competitively viable. You only have to look at the Ike changes to see that they're seeing what its like giving a guy with a sword decent frame data and landing lag. Given that Marth thematically and numbers wise (in terms of damage) is supposed to be faster and more agile than Ike, I'm hoping we'll see some changes in that direction.
*fingers, toes and all appendages crossed!*

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Main thing I'm hoping for his end lag reduction and landing lag reduction, throw follow ups if we are lucky.
EDIT: Is anyone going to need help testing after the patch launches?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
not saying this is what I want, but I somehow feel like they may change forward air to send people upwards like our jab (i.e. Melee 'tipper' fair trajectories).
In which case, game over. It'll probably put Marth (and Lucina maybe more so) over the top lol.

My largest concerns right now are more balance changes that make them better while not making set ups for forward smash easier. If it's done poorly, Marth could be invalidated by Lucina for a while (like, who you're going to go if something into fsmash is easy/cheesy to do?) until those Marths start being consistently able to get tippers with those moves sub 60%.

Landing lag/etc changes to fair would likely not bring on this Lucina > Marth situation, but would still be pretty dangerous.
I could hope/pray that the Ike treatment comes in this patch properly. I guess the main one would be no frame modifiers but fair hitting on frame 5, jab on frame 4, and I'd say Dolphin Slash being fixed would also be ike-style treatment (more accurate/better hitboxes). As I've noted DS doesn't protect us recovering like nearly every other vertical Up-b does and it's because the hitboxes on the move are like... smaller than the arc itself, Marth really needs this 'fixed' more so than a lot of things (dolphin slash out of shield again being reliable on not-well spaced moves again would be a huge functional boon).

Last edited:

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
@ Shaya Shaya I think last patch they were testing the waters with Ike, seeing if the buffs benefit him but not make him too powerful. So Marth could possibly get the Ike treatment this next patch, just gotta wait one more day. However that is just my opinion, it's probably not right.

Last edited:

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
not saying this is what I want, but I somehow feel like they may change forward air to send people upwards like our jab (i.e. Melee 'tipper' fair trajectories).
In which case, game over. It'll probably put Marth (and Lucina maybe more so) over the top lol.

My largest concerns right now are more balance changes that make them better while not making set ups for forward smash easier. If it's done poorly, Marth could be invalidated by Lucina for a while (like, who you're going to go if something into fsmash is easy/cheesy to do?) until those Marths start being consistently able to get tippers with those moves sub 60%.

Landing lag/etc changes to fair would likely not bring on this Lucina > Marth situation, but would still be pretty dangerous.
I could hope/pray that the Ike treatment comes in this patch properly. I guess the main one would be no frame modifiers but fair hitting on frame 5, jab on frame 4, and I'd say Dolphin Slash being fixed would also be ike-style treatment (more accurate/better hitboxes). As I've noted DS doesn't protect us recovering like nearly every other vertical Up-b does and it's because the hitboxes on the move are like... smaller than the arc itself, Marth really needs this 'fixed' more so than a lot of things (dolphin slash out of shield again being reliable on not-well spaced moves again would be a huge functional boon).
I understand what you're saying but I don't agree entirely. Generalistic buffs to both characters in the form of frame data will always still make them both better in tandem, that is, marth will still be better just through the merit of the fact that the playstyle of his kit (which Lucina shares) is best employed to space enemies which is rewarded for Marth through the tipper and not at all rewarded when playing as Lucina. I don't think they will give us an easy F smash combo option as even top tiers don't have that, but I agree if something like that was to come out, the power of Lucinas F smash in every situation would artificially inflate her ranking.
Basically, with the game as it is you can't play Marth as a rushdowrn character, even if they improve his frame data on the fair etc. Lucinas 'passive' would be better suited to this than marths, but I just can't see it happening. You'll still want to space the Diddy Kong and the shiek away from you whilst moving backwards and dashing in for chops here and there. Marth is more greatly rewarded for this. The greater issue is not Lucina invalidating Marth. Lucina has been invalidated by Roy :D.
Edit: sorry for essay!

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I'd just like to point out that we don't know for sure that there will be balancing changes. This update could just be to add tournament mode, and some stages and Mii fighter costumes.

I'm hoping for balance changes, but it's not definite.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
I'd just like to point out that we don't know for sure that there will be balancing changes. This update could just be to add tournament mode, and some stages and Mii fighter costumes.

I'm hoping for balance changes, but it's not definite.
True. We live in hope.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
PATCH CHANGES I FIND/DEBUNK

Okay guys.

Nair: 3/4 and 7/9. No knockback changes. This makes it stronger and this greatly improves Nair1 combos!

All aerials: No autocancel improvements

Dair: Less landing lag. Don't know how much but Dair to tipper Usmash is faster.

Fair: Nothing! Same sh***y hitboxes, autocancel, and landing lag

Bair: Pretty sure autocancel is still 32 frames. It definitely isn't less than 30.

Uair: Okay, if this move has less landing lag (because I see sour Uair to Utilt is comboing at 0%. I don't remember it doing that before) then it is only 1 frame less (no more than 2 for sure). Still has hitbox issues at back hit

Smash attacks: No changes! Not even to Dsmash!!!

Dolphin Slash: They did NOT correct hitboxes

Jab: They did not correct hitboxes. I'm guessing no changes here, I can't find anything.

Dtilt: Hitbox now matches animation (at the tip)...improved range No it still doesn't. Thank you Smashville dot method. No other changes (not even to IASA)

Ftilt: Nothing

Utilt: Reduced end lag (because forward facing Utilt combos into itself now)!!! Seems to move Marth even more forward. GUESSING: 36 to 37 total frames now. Same hitbox issues.

Dash Attack: Nothing at all! What are they thinking?

Grabs and throws: same, same

Last edited:

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
It's been a month and a half since the last patch, and plus EVO came and went, so it's more than likely that we will get a balancing patch.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Let's just hope Sakurai didn't watch Ally use Marth during EVO and decide Marth would be fine with no changes.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
It's updating now.
@ A_Kae A_Kae
I'm getting it now as well.

Updating thread title.

About 10 minutes to download and install, probably.

Edit: Done installing. Let's see what's new.

Edit 2: Replays ARE broken. This is a balance change

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I'm downloading the update right now. You spoiled the Nair change I won't read anything else. Also, check my reserved post above for the changes I find.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
A_Kae, Utilt still does 5% on the hilt/body and you can still move backwards. I did Utilt to full hop and kept seeing my feet position move back.

BozzMac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bozzmac
Up air seems to have as little landing lag as Nair, was this always the case? if not uair landing lag is down from 16 frames to 12 frames.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
A_Kae, Utilt still does 5% on the hilt/body and you can still move backwards. I did Utilt to full hop and kept seeing my feet position move back.
Yeah, I'm seeing the 5% hitbox now. I just wasn't hitting in the right spot.

Also, U-Tilt > Shield and d-smash isn't moving Marth back. Full hop is though.

B-Air autocancel thing was just me not FF quickly enough.

Edit: Smashboards is loading super slow right now so I won't be able to update OP at the moment.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
You still move back with SH after Utilt. It's weird though. Sometimes it doesn't work. It precise is some way.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Up-air seems changed, Up-air sour spot into Up-tilt is a combo on Sheik up to about 50%

A_Kae

Smash Ace
You still move back with SH after Utilt. It's weird though. Sometimes it doesn't work. It precise is some way.
Shield also still moves Marth back. Same sort of thing, it doesn't always happen.

Seems like maybe there are certain frames that this stuff will move Marth back.

Edit: It seems like buffered SH/Shields won't move Marth back? I don't know what's going on here.

Last edited:

S-Ness

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crayonshinchan32
Marth needs a buff in his tipper being easier to tip, and his range is also a problem.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah full hop is also inconsistent after Utilt

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

Nair does 1 more % on every hitbox
Dancing blade's timers seem to last for longer. I can't tell what it is. There aren't any hitboxes listed in any of the side b variants other than SpecialS1 I believe which has it's animation stay out with no hitbox.

You guys can choose to believe me or not, but I implore you guys to check out my background in brawl coding both on Smashboards and KCMM.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Uair's landing lag seems to be the same to me. Maybe 1 frame faster. Hard to say.

Dair, testing it with 1/4 speed and a stopwatch, I got 29 frames to shield. Since that's a few frames slow because of reaction and air time before landing, dair is probably now about 25 frames on landing. Just a guess.

Anyways, I'm going to sleep now. I'll add anything confirmed to the first post tomorrow, or if anything else can be found out about what's going on with u-tilt.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Dancing blade's timers seem to last for longer. I can't tell what it is. There aren't any hitboxes listed in any of the side b variants other than SpecialS1 I believe which has it's animation stay out with no hitbox.
After looking at Lucina changes I BELIEVE that the changes in the timers means that there's more time to go between swings, but it's just conjecture. Haven't updated and I can't check myself.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Extending the window for DB2 to DB3 is super dumb!! It's much harder to buffer shield breaker!

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Extending the window for DB2 to DB3 is super dumb!! It's much harder to buffer shield breaker!
Hopefully the window wasn't increased, but the more I look at it the more it seems to be the case :(
It's really a shame, I wish he'd get more buffs but this is... idk. Don't feel like he's gotten enough help yet.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Hopefully the window wasn't increased, but the more I look at it the more it seems to be the case :(
It's really a shame, I wish he'd get more buffs but this is... idk. Don't feel like he's gotten enough help yet.
So yeah it definitely nerfed breaking shields using DB but overall this is still a buff.

Think about it. No more accidental DS, SB, or counter.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
So yeah it definitely nerfed breaking shields using DB but overall this is still a buff.

Think about it. No more accidental DS, SB, or counter.
True, but honestly this is a small consolation compared to the numerous other buffs he could have gotten

Top Bottom