• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's u smash and d smash suck

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea thanks again, sorry for asking about it twice.

I think it's time for me to stop playing WiFi, and start playing offline. Since WiFi isn't really helping me improve, and it's much much easier to predict opponents offline then online.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yea thanks again, sorry for asking about it twice.
No problem, that's what these boards are for.

I think it's time for me to stop playing WiFi, and start playing offline. Since WiFi isn't really helping me improve, and it's much much easier to predict opponents offline then online.
Meh, if you've got a choice, then don't touch Wifi, there's no point. If you need to practice though, and only scrubs live near you, then Wifi's the better alternative. But you're right, both will help you in predicting your opponent. Watching for rolls, tech chasing, predicting spotdodges and shields (grab in that case), and if they're in the sky, predict where they'll land. If you predict your opponent well enough, killing gets MUCH easier because they'll practically run into your Fsmash/Usmash.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
WiFi is generally used to get a decent knowledge of your match-ups. Beyond that, offline is generally the better alternative for in-depth scenarios. However, if all you got is Wi-Fi then stick to that. It's better to practice against good players online than to practice against horrible players offline.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea it is all I have, :laugh: thanks yet again you guys help me a lot.

I promise you guys once I go to college next year, I'm gonna rep Mario and do good in tournaments ;).

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
In case you haven't realized yet, Mario's only kill moves are cape and FLUDD.

The same (minus the FLUDD) was true for Melee, too.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace

Kill moves are defined as moves...that kill...Mario's only kill move is Fsmash. Cape and Fludd are Gimping tools
Really? I wasn't really aware of that definition. If the gimp kills, though, why shouldn't it be a kill move?

And yes, a sweet-spot Fsmash is your best bet. This is the move that should be saved for a fresh hit somewhere over 100%.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm depends where, I've seen some amazing DI and people survive 120% from an Fsmash, others get K.O'd at 80%. But it depends when you use it, and what character your fighting

Matt07

Smash Master
Just wondering, don't know if this has been said before, but does Fsmash have a sweet spot like in Melee? Or is it just that unnoticeable now?

Matt07

Smash Master
Well dsmash is pretty good at K.O'ing about 140% on heavy characters. If you hit them with the first 'swipe' of the legs. Generally a lot of Mario's use dsmash for punishing, then use usmash or fsmash. But others like to keep all there smashes fresh for K.O's.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Just wondering, don't know if this has been said before, but does Fsmash have a sweet spot like in Melee? Or is it just that unnoticeable now?
It does but the "sourspot" is now powerful and can KO reliably, the sweetspot is still more powerful though.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Well dsmash is pretty good at K.O'ing about 140% on heavy characters. If you hit them with the first 'swipe' of the legs. Generally a lot of Mario's use dsmash for punishing, then use usmash or fsmash. But others like to keep all there smashes fresh for K.O's.
I do it at 100%. ._.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, again it depends on where you it, and who your opponent is. Like use it halfway on FD, and Snake will live till about 150% ish fresh. Or my opponents just have really amazing DI.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that hitting someone with a smash will 'stale' it.
Smash will stale if it hits the opponent (like they get hit by it take damage.)
Smash will not stale if it hits the opponent shield.
Smash will not stale if the opponent spot dodges, or rolls.

Hope that explains.

bobson

Smash Lord
I use dsmash more than I use any other attack on the ground. It's a great punisher for any kind of whiffed attack or an annoying roller.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why do people keep saying Dsmash and Usmash suck?
IMO, the Usmash, while nowhere near as useful as the Utilt, is still a great move. It comes out fast and does okay damage with the possibility of getting a KO.
I like using the Dsmash as well for damage and getting them off the stage, not to mention punishing rolls. It's a quick attack that hits on both sides. Sure, it's average for a Dsmash, but it's solid (something you come to appreciate after playing Ganon...),and hey, that combination of traits is just what makes it fit into Mario's moveset.

The way I see it, Mario shouldn't rush for KOs. He combos them, knocks them off, and keeps them off, launching a Fsmash when the opportunity presents itself. I dunno, that's how I play him anyway, and it seems to work fairly well.

Also, I disagree to whoever said Mario is at a disadvantage vs ROB. Hell, I switch to Mario vs ROB and make life a living hell with the cape.

Top Bottom