• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's metagame, is it over?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I don't know how much further Mario's metagame can progress, he's got a lot of possibilities but it doesn't seem like there's been much improvement lately. Is there anything we haven't pushed the limits on yet? We don't even know Mario's frame data yet...what do we have left to discover?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Eh, there are minor things like Cape -> B-air recovery, Up-B out of shield, charging a DAC, but otherwise we need more amazing players who can prove that these can all be put into application effectively.

I hope Mario's F-tilt comes out at least as fast as Snake's (4frames).

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I would say it's 70%, close to being over. We figured out just about everything Mr. Nintendo has to offer. Only progression left would be the biggest and most hardest one. To utilize everything that we know at this time about his metagame to a T, and using it effectively to try to perfect it in a match as best we could..

Mario's average & basic. And basically average in every aspect. Even his weaknesses. He has a move for everything, & a approach for everything as well.

I don't think the metagame is outright over. It just needs to be perfected. Everythings there & laid out.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You forgot his Super Soaker didn't you, gimping character from comming back and stopping attacks from hitting you? Mario is just under rep in touney's now days, kind of like Ness and/or Lucas. Alright, this day forward I'm going to use Mario in tournments and win with him using FLUDD. :D

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
You have the right idea. Only thing left i n Mario's metagame is putting it to use. Using the right move at the oppurtune time.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I would say it's 70%, close to being over. We figured out just about everything Mr. Nintendo has to offer. Only progression left would be the biggest and most hardest one. To utilize everything that we know at this time about his metagame to a T, and using it effectively to try to perfect it in a match as best we could..

Mario's average & basic. And basically average in every aspect. Even his weaknesses. He has a move for everything, & a approach for everything as well.

I don't think the metagame is outright over. It just needs to be perfected. Everythings there & laid out.
Well said, but I still hope he get's some more combos and approaches though.

You forgot his Super Soaker didn't you, gimping character from comming back and stopping attacks from hitting you? Mario is just under rep in touney's now days, kind of like Ness and/or Lucas. Alright, this day forward I'm going to use Mario in tournments and win with him using FLUDD. :D
Abuse it the most on G&W, since it stops all of his atks. I like to think of the FLUDD a bit like Mario's multi-purpose counter move.

Eh, there are minor things like Cape -> B-air recovery, Up-B out of shield, charging a DAC, but otherwise we need more amazing players who can prove that these can all be put into application effectively.

I hope Mario's F-tilt comes out at least as fast as Snake's (4frames).
Mario's Ftilt has as much priority as Snake's, that's all I know. The cape glide is pretty nice, too bad you can't do it on the ground though...or can you...I hope...

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
That's about all that's left. Minor things. This & the different follow up moves you have at you're disposal depending on the scenario. Lately i've been playing awkwardly crazy with Mario. Oddly enough though, it's been working.

I'd never approach often, use retreating SH fireballs like nonstop. Getting him used to making the charge in at me. Then i'd switch up & stay running in. Use fludd on him at weird times. Cape also, just to cape his *** while onstage. Random SH Dair's out of nowhere. Fast fall Nair to a Dtilt if they shield the Nair but dont grab right afterwards. Follow that up with whatever hits my mind first. Sometimes I capeglide after the opponet, jump again toward him slightly like i'm about to line up a Fair or Nair on him, then cape so i'm turned around, Bair/Uair or Dair him hopefully. maybe hit him with the upB while I grab the edge capestalling. Idk that's just how it is.

I do a "Drephen's shiek" At heart naturally now though. :laugh: Gay certain moves. Dsmash/Usmash. When they are in front, Dsmash, behind me, Usmash. Sometimes I'm able to chain 3-4 Usmashes back to back at low %'s.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
That's about all that's left. Minor things. This & the different follow up moves you have at you're disposal depending on the scenario. Lately i've been playing awkwardly crazy with Mario. Oddly enough though, it's been working.

I'd never approach often, use retreating SH fireballs like nonstop. Getting him used to making the charge in at me. Then i'd switch up & stay running in. Use fludd on him at weird times. Cape also, just to cape his *** while onstage. Random SH Dair's out of nowhere. Fast fall Nair to a Dtilt if they shield the Nair but dont grab right afterwards. Follow that up with whatever hits my mind first. Sometimes I capeglide after the opponet, jump again toward him slightly like i'm about to line up a Fair or Nair on him, then cape so i'm turned around, Bair/Uair or Dair him hopefully. maybe hit him with the upB while I grab the edge capestalling. Idk that's just how it is.

I do a "Drephen's shiek" At heart naturally now though. :laugh: Gay certain moves. Dsmash/Usmash. When they are in front, Dsmash, behind me, Usmash. Sometimes I'm able to chain 3-4 Usmashes back to back at low %'s.
I'm not sure what match-up you're talking about, but yah I love being crazy with my aerials.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I don't think Mario's metagame is finished yet, it still seems like a lot of us only have ideas of what he's capable of. Honestly, we may have only just scratched the surface of what Mario can do.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario hasn't hit his peak...none of the characters have and aren't even close. The game hasn't even been out a year yet and we're talking about the end of the rope already?

Here's how improvement in smash bros usually goes:

-You practice, play against "good" players, win consistently, then get a big head.
-You take your game to a tournament, and don't even place. Good players violate and embarrass you. You're sad.
-The breaking point, where you either quit or really get better.
-You repeat the process, improving after every tournament loss, till you're M2K. All the while, new ATs are being discovered, tier lists shift, and new guides are created.

We really can't have reached the peak already. Brawl doesn't have as much depth as Melee, but it has enough to last at least a year.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
Mario hasn't hit his peak...none of the characters have and aren't even close. The game hasn't even been out a year yet and we're talking about the end of the rope already?

Here's how improvement in smash bros usually goes:

-You practice, play against "good" players, win consistently, then get a big head.
-You take your game to a tournament, and don't even place. Good players violate and embarrass you. You're sad.
-The breaking point, where you either quit or really get better.
-You repeat the process, improving after every tournament loss, till you're M2K. All the while, new ATs are being discovered, tier lists shift, and new guides are created.

We really can't have reached the peak already. Brawl doesn't have as much depth as Melee, but it has enough to last at least a year.
My thoughts exactly; we play, we learn, we teach, and learn from each other. By the way, I'm ACE *wink*

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
No, Mario's metagame isn't over. There's going to be a new tech discovered using the cape, I tell you.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
No, Mario's metagame isn't over. There's going to be a new tech discovered using the cape, I tell you.
There was, the cape teleport...but no one even tested it to see if it works on anyone besides Marth and CF...

I'm still waiting for a way to do the long cape glide slide on the ground and for something new with the FLUDD...

I don't think Mario's metagame is really over but things are going really slow...we need more Boss-level players to crack Mario...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There was, the cape teleport...but no one even tested it to see if it works on anyone besides Marth and CF...
...Why would they? It had no practical place in high level play. It doesn't benefit either player.

I'm still waiting for a way to do the long cape glide slide on the ground and for something new with the FLUDD...

I don't think Mario's metagame is really over but things are going really slow...we need more Boss-level players to crack Mario...
Are you seriously saying Mario's metagame has hit its peak because there aren't enough broken ATs and that it's moving too "slow" for you? If an AT with Fludd or cape is discovered, so be it. If not, who cares? Silly ATs don't make the character, just take a look at the Pit boards. It'd take MUCH longer than Brawl's current lifespan for a character to have hit their peak. Hell, we haven't even finished the matchup discussions.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
...Why would they? It had no practical place in high level play. It doesn't benefit either player.

Are you seriously saying Mario's metagame has hit its peak because there aren't enough broken ATs and that it's moving too "slow" for you? If an AT with Fludd or cape is discovered, so be it. If not, who cares? Silly ATs don't make the character, just take a look at the Pit boards. It'd take MUCH longer than Brawl's current lifespan for a character to have hit their peak. Hell, we haven't even finished the matchup discussions.
Yah, I'm too impatient but we both want the same thing right? I'm probally going about this the wrong way but we need to think of something...god this thread was a bad idea but someone needs to do something...

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
We hve to wait and see, meanwhile we keep playing mario even if his metagame hits his peak or not, We decide that. The player not the character XD ^^

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yah, I'm too impatient but we both want the same thing right? I'm probally going about this the wrong way but we need to think of something...god this thread was a bad idea but someone needs to do something...
You been out to any tourneys yet?

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
We don't have many threads like the other character boards do. Which, is good in a sense. It's ot like Jiggz 10 pages of the same O, same O just written & reworded differently :laugh:. Or the Sonic Boards, they be on some 'other' type of **** there. :crazy:

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Learn your matchups, don't be afraid to get creative... if you think that a metagame can be "over" then it's hard to tell if you don't understand the game or are just missing buttons on your controllers.

Top Bottom