• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's down tilt?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
What are some effective ways to use it? I've been using Mario alot, and I've been trying to utilize him 100%. But his down tilt is really... err. Bad for me. It does weak damage, low range, and is slow. What do you use it for?

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...I rarely use Mario's d-tilt but sometimes when the opponent is usually around 100% (I don't know if the percentage matters) you can d-tilt followed by a fsmash.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Hmm...I rarely use Mario's d-tilt but sometimes when the opponent is usually around 100% (I don't know if the percentage matters) you can d-tilt followed by a fsmash.
Yeah, that's only real use I've seen for it. I've been able to chain it into standard A combo and Fsmash at high percents. It doesn't have many uses. Maybe Dtilt>SHUair might work at high %. Idk, trying to think of something. xD

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
D tilt for going under shields and into f and d smashes as mentioned, as well as d tilt into up tilt and some other moves. Mario's d tilt isn't that bad because it sends opponents at such a low trajectory at some percents there is little risk in using it, even though it has little range/damage.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
the d tilt isn't that bad. when your opponent is off the stage going to hang on the edge (when he is over the hanging spot). use d tilt to bring him up and then f smash away.

sadly u can just cape them if they get that close or fire ball maybe f air....... ok that's the one move that isn't good.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Brawl has no hit stun. Mario's d.tilt has lag. Moves with lag + no hit stun... don't really mix all to well together =]
I didn't say anything about hitstun. I'm just saying that it doesn't send foes as high as u tilt would, giving them smaller time to react, which almost guararees combos. And the lag on d tilt is bearable, unlike f air.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Fair is useful =]

I'm probably gonna make a compilation soon of me gaying people, and fair probably gonna be shown a lot.

D.tilt however... not so much.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
d-tilt is pretty bad yeah, but it can be used as one of those unexpected moves. Sad thing is, it has too little range to be called an effective strategy.

Anything you can do with dtilt can probably be better used with something else.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I think he means instead of you doing a dsmash or a utilt, instead your going for a dtilt. Alot of people don't expect the dtilt anyways.
yea yea,I just don't see why not goin for the dsmash the d-tilt in'st exactly a move with benifits,I just use it when my f-tilt has gone stale even then still not that great if only it had the same effect as lucas' d-tilt eh?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just U-tilt someone if you're gonna D-tilt.

Unless they are at a ridiculously high percent and they are holding a worn shield.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
random side step to dtilt is alright, kinda...

do some jab fakes into it, it makes a pretty sweet combo.

jab, dtilt, fsmash FTW!!!!!

other than that, shield poke with it.

IN GENERAL, dtilt isn't really useful, but i still use it in almost all of my matches due to how i use mario. I dunno, i love jab fakes...

well at least it isn't mario's worst move. The only mario move i never use is his horrible dash grab. Ohh gosh, what were they thinking with that crap. Instead i use the shield dash to extend mario's regular grab like that jump cancel grab in melee...

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I use Dtilt quite often lately believe it or not. About as often as I use Ftilt. It's range is sort of deceptive when you look at the move. The way I use it, if I 'm able to connect with a ftilt, I could've connected with a dtilt just as easily.

I've been In quite a few occasions to where the opponets shield was up and Dtilt still hit them. (So i'd pretty much go along with Orly on that one.)

Far as using it, it depends on the situation really. Sometimes I dtilt then jab afterwards. I've used Dtilt, to Utilt twice before. Connected with a Dtilt to Dsmash/Upsmash a few times. I even occasionally jab fake into a Dtilt seldomnly like cHooKay does :p. I use Dtilt very randomly, and at times, on accident

I've never thought of using Dtilt to a Fsmash though when the opponet is at a high %, (I plan on considering using that option very often now though :laugh:) Especially when the opponets at high %. It would be better to use downtilt instead of an Uptilt in that scenario. More, and easier follow ups.

I'd agree with Boss. He pretty much has it right with calling it a fake out move. You can connect with some decent follow ups, (depending on the opponets % as to how high they shoot up as well as their reaction to it), and you can do some unexpected moves afterwards. But I wouldnt rely on them working to a T each time though as it's a confusing move with all of the different DI situations.

Overall It's far from being an unuseful move. It's there in Mario's moveset, you know. It's uses are awkward at best in combination of jab fakes, tilts, and smahes. And it only does A whopping 5%??! :p

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I feel vulnerable after a dtilt because of the ending lag and because of how close they must be for it to be used. Since a jab -> Fsmash is faster/more reliable, and Dsmash is faster/more powerful, my question is why use it?

Famous

Smash Champion
A connecting Dtilt could be chained with an Fsmash....only if your opponent is caught off guard. It works sometimes

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I feel vulnerable after a dtilt because of the ending lag and because of how close they must be for it to be used. Since a jab -> Fsmash is faster/more reliable, and Dsmash is faster/more powerful, my question is why use it?
I guess its just a matter of how your metagame works with mario... using dtilt is strictly optional. I mean like that jab, dtilt, fsmash combo, it isn't a move i usually spam or rely on. It caught some of my opponents off gaurd before since it isn't something i would usually throw at them.....for some reason people seem to DI towards me when i dtilt, which leads them into an unexpected well timed fsmash for the kill.....

understand that i do not rely on the dtilt for kills, the dtilt merely just expands what i can do and leads me into more options if i feel like i needed to change my play style up a bit.

After all, when playing mario, one must always remember that he is all about the "freestyle" fighting in smash, you can't play the same all the time with mario or else people will figure you out and pawn you for it...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
There's just one problem, cHooKay. D-tilt doesn't really do much. It's pretty much useless. Bad knockback, does small damage, and the lag doesn't really help to link up for other attacks. I don't even think of Mario even having d-tilt when fighting him. It's just that useless.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I don't see it as being outright useless. If you do connect with it. You wont get hit by the opponet right after it connects or nothing, you can react first and simply follow up with something. Utilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Dash somewhat then Usmash, Jabs, SH Uairs or a Nair maybe, I don't know, it's situational at best. Depending on how they react to it especially. Don't focus you're whole mindset on it of course. But it's there. Similar to connecting with and chaining Utilt's at a low%. I'd rather risk using Dtilt just to be different with it. It also serves more uses when the opponets at high %. Uptilt would shoot them up to high.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I understand where you coming from an all, you could just connect with a smash instead. but oddly enough the Dtilt connects easily. It's not like a oh **** It didnt connect so now i'm about to get punished for it type of deal. (I don't know. Maybe it's just me, easy move to land)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I just may be prejudice against Mario's dtilt in Brawl because its always sucked. Perhaps it's better in Brawl but I'm unaware because I don't give it the time of day XD

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Nevertheless, d-tilt isn't necessary. I wish Sakurai would've made it so that Mario stomps on the person's foot that does 11% damage and had good hitstun. That would be both beneficial and funny. :laugh:

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
There's just one problem, cHooKay. D-tilt doesn't really do much. It's pretty much useless. Bad knockback, does small damage, and the lag doesn't really help to link up for other attacks. I don't even think of Mario even having d-tilt when fighting him. It's just that useless.
I know man and i agree, but i guess its just really depends on the player and the situation. For instance, i was facing a really tough falco the other day, and i had to spam my dsmash and bair quite a bit, causing the knock back to be really low, especially how good he smash DI my kill moves. I found it really hard throughout a particular stock to ko him especially how slow and laggy the fsmash is, i couldn't hit him with a usmash or hyphened usmash due to how quick he played, so i randomly changed my play style , threw in a jab, dtilt, he DI'd towards me and i knocked him out with a fsmash.

I know its useless, but it did help me win that match for the sheer random input of that dtilt. He didn't expect that...

In general, i think we can all agree that the dtilt isn't the greatest move in marios moveset, and depending on how the player uses mario, it could be completely useless or slightly dependable..

Top Bottom