• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
Leaks for the game are appearing more often. Though we know most of the journey, that still doesn't means hidden goods in the remake are off the table.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
The thing that'll make this almost 5-month long wait worth it in the end, is that the release date this week also happens to be exactly one day before my birthday.

Like, my most anticipated game announcement could not have come out at a more opportune time. I could not have asked for a better gift.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone that expressed some reticence about a few of the redone tracks, having listen to a decent portion of the leaked OST?

I was way underestimating how good these new versions are. Other than the main battle theme being okay (which is something easily rendered by listening to the original at points) I've been blown away at the instrumental work and just how many layers Shimomura's added to her compositions. I've got a few songs from the original on my phone, but a good 90% of the remake's songs will likely end up there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know WeirdAlFan101 already said the one more day part, but I wanted to post the full image about it being one more day, so...

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I suck at Tetris 99, but I wanted to see what the Mario RPG theme was like when you place 1st.
This guy did it and it's kind of mind blowing how good he is:

Speak of the devil. This cover released today!!!
I love this guy's stuff! He's made some other covers for the RPGs if anyone's interested:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I suck at Tetris 99, but I wanted to see what the Mario RPG theme was like when you place 1st.
This guy did it and it's kind of mind blowing how good he is:

I love this guy's stuff! He's made some other covers for the RPGs if anyone's interested:
I just can't keep up with the others that are either pros or lucky to survive against 98 players. 1st place is leagues above my casual Tetris skills. I respect people that can pull off a battle royale and be the last man standing or even close within the remaining 10.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can't believe it. The Final Day til Super Mario RPG comes back into the spotlight.

Have you guys pre-order or are you waiting til launch/beyond?
I generally don't preorder games unless there are a lot of them that I'm planning to get coming out around the same time, so I can space out paying for them. (I probably could wait and get some of the games later, but selection in my area is basically limited to one GameStop and one Best Buy, I don't know how long older games stay on shelves in the GameStop, and the Best Buy barely has anything)

I'm planning to pick it up after work tomorrow - I realize there's no rush (it's a game that I played and thoroughly beat 25-ish years ago, and I've got plenty of games in my backlog), but I'd like to get it as soon as possible.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just got the email that my copy has shipped (preordered it online). Gonna be checking my mail a lot today.
If there's tracking information in the e-mail, it might be more useful to keep an eye on that. (it will take time for it to be delivered; if it just shipped today, I have my doubts that it will arrive today as well)

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I just can't keep up with the others that are either pros or lucky to survive against 98 players. 1st place is leagues above my casual Tetris skills. I respect people that can pull off a battle royale and be the last man standing or even close within the remaining 10.
Yeah, best I've ever done is 15th, but I usually end up getting knocked out in the 30s.
I generally don't preorder games unless there are a lot of them that I'm planning to get coming out around the same time, so I can space out paying for them. (I probably could wait and get some of the games later, but selection in my area is basically limited to one GameStop and one Best Buy, I don't know how long older games stay on shelves in the GameStop, and the Best Buy barely has anything)

I'm planning to pick it up after work tomorrow - I realize there's no rush (it's a game that I played and thoroughly beat 25-ish years ago, and I've got plenty of games in my backlog), but I'd like to get it as soon as possible.
I think I remember hearing that Best Buy is phasing out physical games entirely sometime next year.

I'm not going to be able to play on release day so I'll probably pick it up at GameStop for that dinky pin set, if they've got any left.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's funny how the narrative about SMRPG or characters like Geno and Mallow is that this was an obscure game that nobody cared about and should've been forgetten about ages ago despite the fact is that was relatively popular title for years. Topping charts for most favorites from GBA to Wii to even U.

Why it took so far for it to come to fruition, i have no idea but i guess better late than never.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe im actually going to miss the one and only chance to have geno as my switch icon because I don't have switch online. Rip.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Time to say goodbye to Geno and Mallow in the snes. The final day has ended for Super Mario RPG to finally arrive.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As so we finally arrive to release day. I won't be picking up the game till after work today, but I definitely had to get some thoughts out now.

I've mentioned before that one of my reasons for wanting Geno in Smash is to have Mario RPG as a title preserved in a major way via the connection to a popular game. I could not have imagined that it would get its chance not through that, but through a full blown loving remake and its more than I could have hoped for. I said earlier my anxiousness about not getting anything beyond this release, and yet even those feelings have largely dissipated in recognition of what an accomplishment today's event is is because it does precisely what I wanted Geno in Smash to do.

It gives this fantastic game, its setting, its characters, and its story both a well deserved spotlight and bigger legacy releasing on the third best selling console of all time. Its no longer a solidly performing hallmark of Nintendo and Squaresoft's original partnership frozen in time; its a significant holiday game in 2023 that players of all ages will experience. This will create fans of Mallow, Geno, Boshi, and so many others. It'll give the world a chance to truly appreciate what a marvel this RPG is without the issues of old tech or a potentially off putting art style, something this game has long needed.

Will we get sequels, spin-offs, or cameos related to Super Mario RPG? I have no idea. But it has a wonderful immortality now, and that's one hell of a wish on Star Hill to come true.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Today is also the 20th anniversary of the first Mario and Luigi game!
View attachment 380788
Coincidence? I think... Maybe?
Probably not but man...

I sincerely miss Mario and Luigi. They never had a bad game. Banger after banger. Alphadream being dead is a crying shame.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got the Mario RPG remake after work, and after getting home and having supper, I figured I'd try it out.

I wound up playing for three hours straight, so it definitely holds up. (Also, they added a Toad in the lobby of Peach's castle once you beat Mack/Claymorton and leave the castle, who makes it possible to get a hidden treasure chest that was permanently missable in the original game)

With the enemy list, Mallow might be a permanent fixture of my party so I can get all of the enemies' thoughts. (From what I've seen, there's an off-screen vendor who sells any thoughts that you miss for 3 Frog Coins each, and they give you the opponents that you can't fight with Mallow on your team like Bowser or the Hammer Bros. for free)

Speaking of Frog Coins, they seem more plentiful in this game thanks to the rare souped-up versions of enemies that drop them upon defeat. (I already have thirty of them and I'm only at Moleville)

I'm enjoying the game, though admittedly, I'm more than a little biased because the original was one of the first games that I ever played. (It was either Mario RPG or Kirby Super Star) I can't get the timing down for the Yoshi race, though; it looks like I'm following the on-screen instructions, but Toad keeps saying that my timing is completely wrong.

EDIT: I've read that the enemy guide fills in missing entries once you've beaten the game, which is good; I'd hate to miss out on a 100% complete enemy guide because I succeeded in the curtain minigame at Booster's or the statue minigame at Nimbus Land.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Been playing the remake and got up to Rose Town. Gameplay is quite easy for veteran, but I have not stopped smiling while playing. The remake phrase of "looks how you remember it looking" has itself become a cliche but its true here. The aesthetics, the music, the whole feel just matches the experience of playing the original and the vibe of the game maintains that sense of a bigger world beyond what you're seeing which is one of the highlights of the 1996 release.

I do really hope there's a patch/update that offers a formal hard mode. That aside, just sightseeing in the world of Mario RPG in this form is worth the price.

Top Bottom