• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
GameStop is doing a pre-order bonus for Mario RPG. It's in store only though.

Six pins with the main cast and the game's logo.
I guess this is the first official SMRPG merchandise since the 90s
:geno:
View attachment 377981
Edit: Also noticed the trademarking on the pins says "SQUARE ENIX Characters" so if anyone was hoping that Nintendo purchased the rights to SMRPG, uh, stop hoping.
Sounds great, but I'll order online lol

Plus taking that night off from work is gonna be a breeze

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably Mario, Peach and Bowser.

I know Bowser isn't great, but I gotta have him.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Who do you guys feel would be your main party? I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with Mario/Geno/Peach again
I'll probably be switching them around constantly because that's how I played the original, but also because I want to see the balance changes.

If I had to pick one and stick with it, I'd go Geno and Mallow. They've waited almost 30 years for this, dammit!

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’m going to try and mix the lineups. My main team is Mario, Peach and Geno, so I’ll have fun trying different combinations!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, has anyone not really liked the remixes?

Some of them feel a little off. I'm glad that the OG tracks are there. I wonder if you can pick and choose which ones play.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So, has anyone not really liked the remixes?

Some of them feel a little off. I'm glad that the OG tracks are there. I wonder if you can pick and choose which ones play.
Its been hit and miss. Bandit's Way and Nimbus Land sound incredible. Some of the others (including, unfortunately Beware of Forest Mushrooms) aren't bad, but they lack the same distinct energy of the originals. I suspect that will the be case in the final product.

Provided Culex's theme rocks, I'll accept the whole package.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Culex, can we just take a moment to remember that in about 4 weeks, we'll get to experience THIS battle, in full 3D? Or at least, mostly full 3D, if Culex is kept as a sprite to pay homage to the original Japanese script?

Like, it's still hard to fully process that Nintendo and Square actually decided to give this game another chance, with how radio silent they've both been on it, for so long.

1698003347958.png

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I love the characters' little dances on the level up screen.

Also, the second trailer gives us a glimpse of Culex, who looks like how you'd expect him to. (if anything, he looks even more out-of-place here than he did in the original)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

You might want to check this out, everyone. We are probably getting something special that may be new.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

You might want to check this out, everyone. We are probably getting something special that may be new.
While I sincerely doubt it will happen, I'd love it if they make it seem like this "Shinier Stone" sets up a Culex rematch at first (since this version adds post-game boss rematches), only for Culex to be slashed in half as this starts to play:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While I sincerely doubt it will happen, I'd love it if they make it seem like this "Shinier Stone" sets up a Culex rematch at first (since this version adds post-game boss rematches), only for Culex to be slashed in half as this starts to play:

"You thought it was going to be Culex you had to fight, but it was I, Sephiroth!"

Sorry, couldn't resist!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Apparently, you can change who is in your current party alongside Mario; even during mid-battle; all with the Plus button.

I guess if someone in the current party "faints", you can swap them out like with a Pokemon from, well, Pokemon. LOL

...Yeah, I see the door to my left.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think the guess that is most likely come to mind for what this could be is that Culex himself has a rematch, but said rematch has him finally becoming 3D. If they go that route though, I would love if they reverse the joke and make him too good of a 3D model, like something strait out of a modern Final Fantasy game. Bonus points if that makes him still unable to enter the more comparatively simple style of the Mario world.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, you can change who is in your current party alongside Mario; even during mid-battle; all with the Plus button.

I guess if someone in the current party "faints", you can swap them out like with a Pokemon from, well, Pokemon. LOL

...Yeah, I see the door to my left.
On the topic of Pokemon, while I'm loving a lot of what I've seen through 10 minute gameplay videos and early reviews, it looks like my one potential disappointment with this remake is real.

Aside from a couple of Bowser and Yoshi clips, there's no actual voice work, which is just a major pet peeve I already have with Pokemon games. Like, if you're not going to go all the way and have voice acting, why bother even animating lip movement in the first place? It just feels like an absolute waste of time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The guys at Good Vibes Gaming got a 30 minute preview of the game. Haven't listened to it yet but I'm gonna go ahead and post it here:
Hold on, I just noticed, but they fixed the missable hidden frog coin box in Peach's Castle! They not only made it more obvious that one could walk up there, but now there is seemingly always a toad nearby that can be jumped on rather than exclusively relying on Toad passing the door on your first visit to the castle.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Who do you guys feel would be your main party? I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with Mario/Geno/Peach again
Mario, Geno, Mallow. Bowser and Peach already get enough shine. It's Geno time.

Also

The special something better be Sephiroth. We need that 2020 runback.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hold on, I just noticed, but they fixed the missable hidden frog coin box in Peach's Castle! They not only made it more obvious that one could walk up there, but now there is seemingly always a toad nearby that can be jumped on rather than exclusively relying on Toad passing the door on your first visit to the castle.
Finally, no longer needing to reload save file.
Screenshot_20231102_140352_YouTube.jpg

Also, swapping party members midfight changes everything to add more flexibility rather than stuck to the current 3 members for a strat.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Can I be honest and say that I think this would be kinda lame. I get sephiroth is popular but ff7 has gotten so much attention over the years that I'm kinda over cloud or sephiroth appearing in everything.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is a crazy idea: What if the secret boss goes the Kingdom Hearts approach and is a mysterious figure that foreshadows something in the future? It is probably very unlikely, but would also be incredibly exciting since that would imply further plans for SMRPG as a series.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Mario, Geno, Mallow. Bowser and Peach already get enough shine. It's Geno time.

Also

The special something better be Sephiroth. We need that 2020 runback.
YO THIS IS GAME CHANGER

The fact the can switch party members during the fights is giving me FFX vibes. This is a game changer when you need to swap for weaknesses and healing. I do wonder if it's possible Mario will get swapped (doubt it)

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Its been hit and miss. Bandit's Way and Nimbus Land sound incredible. Some of the others (including, unfortunately Beware of Forest Mushrooms) aren't bad, but they lack the same distinct energy of the originals. I suspect that will the be case in the final product.

Provided Culex's theme rocks, I'll accept the whole package.
In terms of the redone soundtrack, and which ones are good or bad, I would say Midas River is probably my favorite improvement. Not that the original was bad, of course, but in the words of my sister during my first real playthrough, it sounded less like Mario and more like something you'd hear out of Wallace and Gromit. I think it sounds much more appropriate this time around.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
They're using the other RPGs on NSO promote SMRPG in the lead-up to its release:
ezgif-1-c2cdcb2736.jpg

Note the mention of level ups.
Urge to dunk on modern Paper Mario rising.:dkmelee:

Also noticed that the Mario Wonder profile pics that you buy with platinum points are going away on November 16th, a day before the remake comes out:
ezgif-1-383292189b.jpg

Highly likely we'll be getting some Mario RPG pfps!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A part of me will always find it a bit surreal to see Geno be the focus of advertising.

You know, some people would like to think that Rosalina would be that higher authority Geno serves, but though the following is from a different continuity, I'd like to think that the Seven Star Spirits from Paper Mario are who Geno serves. I mean, those Star Spirits do have to do with wishes.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Who knows, Rosalina is present in mario games since Super Mario Galaxy. She might appear as Super Mario RPG remastered was a wish granted from Star Road nearly after 30 years later. As seen from the trailer....

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, some people would like to think that Rosalina would be that higher authority Geno serves, but though the following is from a different continuity, I'd like to think that the Seven Star Spirits from Paper Mario are who Geno serves. I mean, those Star Spirits do have to do with wishes.
The Star Spirits are technically not exclusive to Paper Mario given their appearance in Mario Party 5, but even then I don't think they are the characters they would choose for the higher authority. I feel like they would either make a new character or go for Rosalina.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
A part of me will always find it a bit surreal to see Geno be the focus of advertising.

This is gonna push him for the next Smash. Would be sweet if he was an unlockable that no one was able to datamine

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The Star Spirits are technically not exclusive to Paper Mario given their appearance in Mario Party 5, but even then I don't think they are the characters they would choose for the higher authority. I feel like they would either make a new character or go for Rosalina.
Um, yeah. What I said was just a guess. That is all. You understand what I mean, right?

Top Bottom