• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I blame them. Often "support" for Geno feels like bangwagon jumping and people making bad jokes. I don
t think half the people that say they want Geno even want Geno.
I absolutely blame them (if this is even real). People have been giving nintendo **** for being disconnected from their fans for ages so I'm not about to give them the benefit of the doubt for this. After how long the support has gone on you'd think that even if some people were just messing around that a large portion of people would be serious about it.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just had a little idea. Half related to my edgy sword oc, half related to Geno himself.

So, there's this question we've been asking for a while now... who is Geno? The guy we know and love is a star being, and an agent of the Star Road, of course. But 'Geno' isn't his name, it's the name of the doll that he's possessing, a doll that has to have come from somewhere. Some people have suggested that perhaps he's simply a custom doll that Gaz's mom or someone like that made, but I'm thinking this 'Geno' - whether he's based on some real person somewhere or not - is actually a pretty popular doll.

How do we know this? Well, for one thing, we find upgrades/accessories for the toy literally everywhere the party stops. A whole variety of guns and capes in every major store in town, all in the same consistent style. We even get to see one as far as the Beanbean Kingdom in Superstar Saga. So I'm thinking 'Geno' is a super popular doll that's causing one of those old-school toy crazes in the Mushroom Kingdom and its neighbors. So what if, at some point, we meet the creator of the Geno doll?

Geppetto the dollmaker. A kindly old toad grandpa-type (or whatever species, but I'm picturing a stouter Toadsworth-like guy) who spends his time designing and producing various toys for children. ..Toys that can apparently KO Mario before any star-related magic happens. So maybe he's one of those well-meaning but a little eccentric inventor types, too. I just think it'd be interesting to see where the doll came from, and perhaps some of the creator's related works.

As for my sword doll Geppetto, I'm thinking that when he leaves the Star Road, he needs a proper body to fight in just like Geno did, and he happens to drift down to Dollmaker Geppetto's workshop, where he possesses a prototype successor to the popular 'Geno' figure, a sword-wielding jester. Mister Dollmaker is surprisingly chill about the whole thing and lets the star wander off in the doll - maybe even gives him some other attachments to take with him, not even questioning his motives or plans.

The star obviously ends up communicating with someone at some point, and like Geno he has a name that's utterly alien and unable to be pronounced by non-stars. Annoyed with whoever he's speaking to butchering his name, he tries to think of an alternative. The prototype doll didn't have one yet, so he just thinks back to the old man he met when he first came down and casually lifts his name without a second thought.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I am absolutely fuming over here.

Reecee over on Twitter is having a Paper Mario partner elimination game thing, and people picked Vivian off Day 1 intentionally, because she's his favorite. I really hate people sometimes.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Vivian will never be eliminated from my heart.
She's best girl, you know.

View attachment 344066
I know this is definitely a very unpopular opinion but I never liked Vivian as much as everybody else does. I understand why she's popular and I don't dislike her but she never clicked with me the same way she seems to have with other people. Bobbery imo is way more interesting of a character and the fact that barely anybody talks about him or his backstory is really disappointing.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
I know this is definitely a very unpopular opinion but I never liked Vivian as much as everybody else does. I understand why she's popular and I don't dislike her but she never clicked with me the same way she seems to have with other people. Bobbery imo is way more interesting of a character and the fact that barely anybody talks about him or his backstory is really disappointing.
Bobbery is a very close second for me, in terms of his writing just being an absolute gut punch.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Eh, for me it's just a combination of representation, being a fire mage, and having a cool design. The Shadow Sirens in general were pretty cool for a Mario game. I sometimes wish we'd gotten more backstory for them, but perhaps the mystery surrounding them and their connection to the events 1000 years ago is better left mysterious.

But yeah, Bobbery is a pretty good character, too. I've played TTYD tons of times by now, but I still find myself tearing up whenever I get to the letter from his wife. Personally, I wouldn't say that either Bobbery or Vivian is better than the other, but rather that they're meant to evoke different themes which just might resonate more with different people. It's just how characters work, and why people have favorites in the first place. While on the topic though, said themes - familial abuse and loss of loved ones/self worth - were pretty mature for a Mario game, and I always liked how the game tackled them so earnestly in their connection to the characters' story arcs, without treating them as just 'lessons' for the player. I've only rarely seen the Mario series dip in that direction since. It really makes me wonder where we'd be now if the strict mandates hadn't tightened up so much.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Guys its time. They have open a ballot to see if what characters can be made for figures.

Idk about you but some Geno or even some Mario rpg merch would be great actually.

If the Shantae community can do it, I think we definitely can too.

Let's vote!

Griselda

Smash Lord
Guys its time. They have open a ballot to see if what characters can be made for figures.

Idk about you but some Geno or even some Mario rpg merch would be great actually.

Let's vote!

..Didn't we already do this? Or am I thinking of something else?

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

Let's vote!

Which link do I click do support the geno figure

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
It's not going to happen. Like, it really is not going to happen. But considering Mario 64 is part of a port compilation AND on NSO, I would love to see a compilation of the first 3 Paper Mario games get announced at the Direct.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
Good news for you, that partner elimination thing, it ended tonight, and Bobbery was the winner.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Woah, what? I take my eyes off things for one second and apparently SMRPG 2 is back on the table?

..Though, seriously, I want to approach this carefully. Not trying to bring down the mood or anything, this is just me personally: what does this really mean for us? In terms of seeing the same original characters (Geno, Mallow, Booster etc.) returning in a potential sequel? Because while I'm glad to see the guy's interest and his apparent support for Geno in Smash... We're still living in the timeline where Geno did not get into Smash regardless of that support, and the Mario Mandates still exist as far as I can tell. Both of which indicate that it'd be an uphill battle assuming that this SMRPG 2 even does happen. I took a peek at the interview, and it seemed as though he somehow wasn't sure whether or not Geno got in? (which raises some interesting questions regarding all the 'geno talk' the 'insiders' were supposedly hearing, but I'll save prodding that in-depth for later).

Now, on the whole.. 'I want this to be my last game to close my career' thing. If he's actually serious about that, that kind of statement could carry some weight. We should remember that this is a Japanese developer, and - assuming I didn't look up the wrong guy by mistake - he's 62 years old. In Japanese business culture, what that means is that practically nobody younger than him can go against him, if he actually pushes for something. ..to a certain extent. What I'm still bothered by are those mandates restricting the Mario series. SMRPG couldn't really work as well if everyone became identical adult toads, for instance. Characterization can only carry you so far when you have no visual traits to latch onto and associate the character traits with.

If I wanted to be very/unrealistically optimistic, though, I'd say that this links back to that whole 'people are hearing about SMRPG 2' thing from a while back, and that rather than just something he's saying, he's actually been in talks/negotiations about this thing - at least in concept - for a while, now. Or at least that he's brought it up before and is doing so again now (which might be a bad sign, though, if he feels he needs public knowledge of the idea backing him up).

But that's just my quick opinion on it all, based on what I've just seen.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If SMRPG2 actually does come to fruition, I hope we get similarly great characterization of Bowser as the original. Bowser is probably my favorite part of SMRPG.

It's also worth noting, if a sequel to SMRPG gets made, we're far from guaranteed to see Geno, or Mallow for that matter. They could do an entirely new story with a new set of characters. And honestly, that seems more likely, but Nintendo and Square-Enix having a far better relationship these days does at least spark hope.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If SMRPG2 actually does come to fruition, I hope we get similarly great characterization of Bowser as the original. Bowser is probably my favorite part of SMRPG.

It's also worth noting, if a sequel to SMRPG gets made, we're far from guaranteed to see Geno, or Mallow for that matter. They could do an entirely new story with a new set of characters. And honestly, that seems more likely, but Nintendo and Square-Enix having a far better relationship these days does at least spark hope.
Bowser is the highlight of pretty much every Mario RPG game, in my opinion. They're the games that built his character beyond 'the guy that kidnaps Peach', after all.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Good news for you, that partner elimination thing, it ended tonight, and Bobbery was the winner.
Nice. Really happy to see bobbery getting the love he deserves, but I'm more happy that an actual sequel to mario rpg could happen. That's a huge deal and honestly it would make geno not getting into smash hurt just a bit less.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of what Kitten was saying, about how it's not a guarantee that Geno and Mallow would come back if a sequel does happen, I think that's kind of a silly take to give.

Considering all the content we got from Seven Stars in Smash Ultimate, along with that Team Mallow or Team Geno poll on Twitter, they know these two were part of what made the original so special, or at least they should, and I think it would be in very poor taste if a sequel did actually happen, that the golden boys were just nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I wonder if the big x-factor with Mario RPG 2 might be Nintendo themselves.

Square Enix I can see going for it rather easily, because a co-production with Nintendo would reduce the cost, and it being Mario role playing game would likely yield strong sales. While SE hasn't shown much interest in going with big non Dragon Quest games on Switch (hence the lackluster versions of Kingdom Hearts and lack of major Tomb Raider titles), the aforementioned factors make it a much more appealing opportunity for them.

Nintendo though is harder to predict. While they have started loosening up the reigns with their IP via Koei Tecmno Warriors titles and Mario & Rabbids, the mainline Mario role playing titles still feel tightly controlled (to the point where Origami King can be argued as very much an action adventure title with a few scant battles). The specter of Mario mandates has faded (see the recent Strikers trailer), but in the RPG realm, even with something like Kingdom Battle, still feels far away from the creativity that an Odyssey or Breath of the Wild get to have.

Basically, I'm slightly more cautiously optimistic, but after 15 years of meh Paper Mario, and seeing the death of the Mario & Luigi series, I'm going need a stronger sign that Nintendo is willing to embrace the off the beaten path of Mario RPG titles again before I assume anything.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Do you guys think the director would remake Super Mario RPG first and then do the Sequel? It would make sense to remake the first game with a fresh coat of paint and release it to excite old fans like us and bring in new fans then maybe announce the sequel to keep the hype going. I've been hearing online lately that people either want a remake with claymation, 2DHD sprite work, or even a Mario & Luigi-esque art style. Which do you guys think?

Griselda

Smash Lord
All this talk of remakes and sequels, and I'm just sitting here wondering when I'll be allowed to play the original SMRPG on modern consoles. It wasn't added to Switch Online, right?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Do you guys think the director would remake Super Mario RPG first and then do the Sequel? It would make sense to remake the first game with a fresh coat of paint and release it to excite old fans like us and bring in new fans then maybe announce the sequel to keep the hype going. I've been hearing online lately that people either want a remake with claymation, 2DHD sprite work, or even a Mario & Luigi-esque art style. Which do you guys think?
I genuinely think the Link's Awakening Remaster's art style is perfect for a Super Mario RPG Remaster.

I think either or would definitely be accepted. Nothing wrong with fixing what isn't broken so definitely would be down to just go with a sequel personally.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Kind dead here but also not that bad, I just wanted to share something with you guys. Hopefully those of you in various Geno Discord servers and what not can share this with Geno fans out and abound.

to make a not-so-long story event shorter, I was fixing up my SMRPH playlist after GilvaSunner pulled the plug and I noticed a couple covers that were missing. Two of them I found on WayBackMachine and may or mot not re-upload them just so people can enjoy them, but one in particular was just gone for good...until I retraced the steps to find the uploader on Instagram. So as perhaps my first true contribution to the SMRPG and Geno fanbase, I got a random guy who did a cover/remix of BoTFM to put it back up on his channel, so I hope you guys get the chance to enjoy it and show it some love cuz honestly it was super random and dude could have easily blocked me! XD

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Kind dead here but also not that bad, I just wanted to share something with you guys. Hopefully those of you in various Geno Discord servers and what not can share this with Geno fans out and abound.

to make a not-so-long story event shorter, I was fixing up my SMRPH playlist after GilvaSunner pulled the plug and I noticed a couple covers that were missing. Two of them I found on WayBackMachine and may or mot not re-upload them just so people can enjoy them, but one in particular was just gone for good...until I retraced the steps to find the uploader on Instagram. So as perhaps my first true contribution to the SMRPG and Geno fanbase, I got a random guy who did a cover/remix of BoTFM to put it back up on his channel, so I hope you guys get the chance to enjoy it and show it some love cuz honestly it was super random and dude could have easily blocked me! XD

I've been really into remixes of video game songs lately. Thanks for the treat!

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Griselda

Smash Lord
Today is SMRPG 26th anniversary and we ended up getting more early SMRPG concept art!
Also Sakurai posted this!
More SMRPG concept art is always good. But if we're being completely honest? I don't smile at Sakurai's little references to the game.

I will admit that it's a pretty-looking shot, yeah. But I kinda have a weakness for 'burning sun in a dark sky' kind of sunsets, in general.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Today is SMRPG 26th anniversary and we ended up getting more early SMRPG concept art!
Also Sakurai posted this!
I always love to see concept art and how it's changed compared to the final game. Cool stuff. That Sakurai Pic though. It hurts. I will always believe that geno was done extremely dirty when it came to smash.

Griselda

Smash Lord
On an unrelated note, a couple nights ago I had a dream where I was watching the trailer for a new Mario game (though I think it was actually a fangame or something) and the plot involved Geno teaming up with Rosalina for one reason or another. I remember there was a dramatic reveal when Geno arrived, but instead of his usual design he was wearing black with glittery blue embroidery in star shapes here and there, with one in particular where that yellow design on his hat usually goes. I might doodle it at some point, maybe.

Top Bottom