• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Party

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I like Mario Party, a lot, and cool to hear MP9 is coming out. But I really want to see a revamped version of Super Duel Mode from MP5, that was very unique!
Mario party 9 is probably going to be pretty good. I was afraid they might be dead or something after Wii party

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Its gonna be a while before i pick up mario party 9. Got my eyes set on Ultimate ninja storm generations!!!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I just got Mario Party 9, I'm will most likely give my review of the game due to some mixed reviews on both positives and negatives on the game. Most likely late this week or next week.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Mario party 8 was pretty bad, I liked all the others I played though,

#2 for life

UberMario

Smash Master
So, I was coin farming Mario Party 1 today in order to get the "No Koopa" and "No Boo" items, for the sake of completion, and forced the CPU and I to not get any stars during the normal rounds. It turns out that there is a minimum star amount that needs to be met in order to be considered a Superstar. (Complete with replacing "You are the Superstar" with "You are a winner" in smaller text.)

That means that it's possible to do a full game on Yoshi's Tropical Island and not rescue the pink Yoshi stranded in the ocean, among other things like endding the Bob-Omb war. I guess Nintendo wanted to make players feel bad for being cheap. lol

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Hey guys, hows Mario Party 9? I haven't played it yet but I don't expect it to be much better than any previous Mario Party's. But I want to hear what you guys think about it

trickyghost

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, hows Mario Party 9? I haven't played it yet but I don't expect it to be much better than any previous Mario Party's. But I want to hear what you guys think about it
Same here, I'd like to know how it is before I buy...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ My thought's about Mario Party 9:

Mario Party 9 is by far the most changed Mario Party in the series, that being said, the people who made Wii Party made this game, so the gameplay changed quite a bit in both good, and bad.

I'll start with the good, it's great that the stages are non liner like the previous Mario Party's and the boards usually ends around 30-90 min depending on the events on the board which makes the game more fast pace. The boss battles is a nice touch as well, it makes the game feel more dynamic when you beat both the mini boss and the big boss, though beating the bosses is very game changing, but to a fair degree. The items are more balanced, I meet people that didn't like all dice items, but since the game boards are one way, the only way to make the game far is dice items. Also, you can choose the mini games on the board now, which is a nice touch since I never liked the random courser picking the games, though a bit sad there is no 2 vs 2 and duel mini games, but the rest are back like free for all, 1 vs 3 and battle mini games.

Now with the bad, you will see less mini games on the board mostly because you have to land on the mini game space to start one, you will likely see around 5-10 mini games per board, which is automatically less than the past Mario Party titles even on the lowest amount of times you set for mini games. Also due to every board having to travel together, there is always a chance you'll get screwed over for some random event... or win drastically because of it. Expect near every board to have some random event to screw half your mini stars or crazily increase it. And lastly, solo is still not good, though at least they tried making a good story, lol.

Unlike Mario Party 8, the mini games are very fun and the controls fit well with the Wii, Goomba Bowling is my favorite one. As usual, there is a mini game room, glad they didn't get rid of it, this will get you to practice Bowser Jr's mini games, which are not really easy since you need to work on teams.

Overall this game is good to own, the main problem is to adapt to the changes being made, also to prepare for random events to happen, but since this is Mario Party, you always have to prepare for chance and luck, lol. This game obviously shine in the multiplayer aspect, and don't even bother trying to get a great fun out of solo, it's like the past Mario Party titles. The mini games and the boards are stupid fun to play, and every stage offers something new. I only recommend this game if you have at least two or more friends you know to play.

7.8/10

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
So, I was coin farming Mario Party 1 today in order to get the "No Koopa" and "No Boo" items, for the sake of completion, and forced the CPU and I to not get any stars during the normal rounds. It turns out that there is a minimum star amount that needs to be met in order to be considered a Superstar. (Complete with replacing "You are the Superstar" with "You are a winner" in smaller text.)

That means that it's possible to do a full game on Yoshi's Tropical Island and not rescue the pink Yoshi stranded in the ocean, among other things like endding the Bob-Omb war. I guess Nintendo wanted to make players feel bad for being cheap. lol
Yeah, not trying to advertise, but I have a video of that if anyone wants to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jfTAJzgWXk

My opinion on MP9... it's hard to say. I love the style and all and the Mini-Game, oh Lord, one of the best Mini-Game lists I've seen in a Mario Party. But the overall luck and no control (unless your captain) I really don't like. Mario Party has always been luck, but there has also been skill, there's not a lot of skill involved on the main board, and Mini-Game payouts are ehhhhh now (I don't like how I win a mini-game just for the 2nd place player to get 2 less than me), so it's like Viper said, everything is down to Luck/Chance. I'd give the game like a 6/10, 7/10 just for the Mini-Games.

I would definitely not mind if the style was to come back. There needs to be some improvements made, imo, though.

-Try more Skilled-based events (Of course we need some Luck games as well, but have some events where people actually have to do well instead of it being chance).
-Add More Characters (just a small complaint, but I expect more characters than MP8, not less =P).
-Add Passing Events (Maybe like a shop where you can buy stuff?)
-Add Items (just that alone gives players control over themself and others, I mean ITEMS, not those DiceBlocks).
-Make Boards longer (DK's Jungle Ruins was so short... I finished that in 15 Minutes.)
-Instead of losing Half your Mini-Games, set it to like 10/15/20 (don't make players lose so many Mini Stars so easily).
-Fix Mini-Game Pay-Outs (I would not make the payouts so close together, but if they really want it like that, then at least do it like this: 1st: 10, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 1, 4th: 0).

But yeah, these changes need to be done in the next Mario Party imo. If it's going to continue like MP9 with all that Luck, then I'd just prefer a classic-style game, to be honest.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I've really only played 7 so I can't say what my favorite is. But I can say this:
**** the AI. Especially Luigi.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
so when are we getting a composite Mario Party game that just has "the best of Mario Party"? That would be pretty sick. Do like half oldies and half new minigames, then introduce popular old maps as well as some new maps. I would buy.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I liked them all, but I started rating them by how much fun I had with and without friends because if you ask me that's how these games should be rated. They're out there for fun rather than to shoot for the stars in ratings. My favorites were the first 4, mostly because those were the only ones you could play as DK in. But I really liked the classic sound effects and feel that they gave off. And I think thosw minigames were the most entertaining as well as some of the most creative boards. I still play them way more than the newer ones,

Specs45

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-0115-4460
I've played a bit of the first one, tons of 3 which I favor the most, and still have six which I don't play anymore. Never went pass six plus I like the older mario party games.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
The first three Mario Party games (and a little bit of the fourth) will always be my favorites. I never liked the ones after the fourth installment mainly because I've never really been a fan of the capsule concept. :glare: As for mini-games go, I loved Shell Shocked (MP2), Mixed Mushroom/Hexagon Heat (MP1/MP2) and Toadstool Titan (MP3).

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
I love me some Mario Parties. 2 will always be my favorite, it had some of the best minigames and maps, even if I couldn't play as Daisy in them... I even loved the Gamecube versions, each one had at least a handful of minigames that I loved. Playing Bowser's Big Blast with little kids is hilarious, if they're like my little brothers. They used to hide behind the couch like it was a blast zone every time someone pushed a lever. If they blew up the head, they pretended to blow up like it was a cheesy 80's movie. XD

The Wii version was probably the weakest non-handheld installment. I still got some enjoyment out of it, but it never quite felt right. 9 was an interesting way to try something different, but I'm not happy that the mini star/car mechanics are back for 10...
And I really liked Mario Party Advance, even if it does defeat the purpose by making it a single player party game. DS was ok at best, the AI cheating up a storm made me not enjoy it... And the 3DS one? It was okay, but not really all that special.

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
I mostly liked the most of them. Mario Party 1-2-3 were really great,Mario Party 4 was okay,I didn't liked Mario Party 5 much,I really liked Mario Party 6 and Mario Party 7 was nice too. Mario Party 8 wasn't that good but sorry... I loved Mario Party 9!! I really can't wait for Mario Party 10. Island Tour was disappointing. Mario Party DS was good and Advance i liked the story mode but not the rest... That's all!!

Top Bottom