• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Party 6: The Eclipses of Enjoyment

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Link to original post: [drupal=5187]Mario Party 6: The Eclipses of Enjoyment[/drupal]

No, there will NOT be a TL;DR. Read the whole thing if you do care, otherwise don't.

Mario Party 6 is one of my favorite games EVER. It's my favorite of the GCN Mario Parties. Actually, it's my favorite Mario Party of the WHOLE SERIES!!

It all started when I was 6 years old. (Was in Grade 1) (Currently 14
) My childhood friend came over. She said she had a new game to bring. I was EXCITED as hell to try it out! That game was Mario Party 6. We played it along with my sister and her sister. It was one of the best times of my life.

So we do a Party Mode. We played Faire Square, 20 turns. (Unfortunately we couldn't finish it
) At first, I didn't understand the mechanic of this board, nor the new features in this game. So I was pretty lost. XD
We play mini-games after every turn. (duh, that's how it's been in all except for Mario Party 9 LOL) From what I remember, we played Granite Getaway, Ball Dozers, Crate & Peril, Full Tilt, Daft Rafts and Control Shtick. I was having a LOT of fun playing, even if I lost most if them. (It was my 1st time playing and my friend played it before, what'd you expect XD)
So when my friend finally got to the star space, she bought multiple stars. I was like "WTF YOU CAN DO THAT?!?!?!?" because no Mario Party I've played before had that mechanic. So when I got there, I bought as many stars as I could. Which was 3.
(I had 67 coins XP)
My friends begin to use their orbs and sets them on the board. I was like "Huh?" then I learned that if you landed on someone's character space, you will suffer. I loved the concept of it. I tried to get as many orbs as I could and set them on the board. XD
So then Night falls. I learned about another mechanic: Day & Night. During the Night, Twila could change the price of the stars. When she hit a 5, I was like "OH. MY. GOD." My friend got as many stars as she could. I unfortunately lacked coins from buying them in the daytime and plus I was after the star space so I had to make that long circle. XP
So then... My friend unfortunately had to leave. I was sad that we had to stop because I was amazed and was having the time of my life and didn't want to stop. But I was VERY, VERY, GRATEFUL for her bringing this game over. So I was like "Someday, I'm going to get this game."

So one day... (Was still in Grade 1) I got a bit sick. I couldn't go to school. It was just me and my mom. We had to go to the mall. (She had to do shopping and I can't be home alone
) I was impatient for her to finish buying her stuff.
...But then. We walk buy an EB Games. I asked if I could buy a game. We go inside, I frantically searched for Mario Party 6. It was there. I was like "OH HELL YEAH, I'M SO GETTING THIS!!!!! :D" We finally get home. I rush to turn on my Gamecube and start playing.
I was having like the best time of my life. I play Towering Treetop, 20 turns, CPUs on Normal. (A completed game this time ;p) I was having SO MUCH FUN!!! So then after everyone takes their turn, I was excited for my 1st mini-game. (By myself
) Guess which mini-game it was? It was... DAFT RAFTS. I was a bit confused on the rules a first, but after a few practices, I got the hang of it. My first few practices, I fell into the water/touched a Spiny. XD I do the real game, where it counts. I won the 1st mini-game. :D
I also remembered I played Cannonball Fun and Same is Lame, but that's it. XD Though Same is Lame frustrated me and still does to this day. XP
I finally get my 1st star. (and was the 1st one to get it :D) But then the star goes to a faraway location...
When I got my first Orb, I was like "OMG YES ORBS!!!!". I'd set my Red/Yellow Orbs ASAP and laughed when my rivals paid the price. It filled me up with Joy and Excitement.
Night falls, then I learn about the Pink Boo house. I was like "Oh hey that's like Chain Chomp from Mario Party 5". I visit him, and be devious and steal stars. :D Fortunately my rivals never got to visit him. XD

At the end of the game, guess who won?!?! IT WAS ME!!!!! I had 6 stars and 70+ coins. (Approximate, don't remember how much exactly XD) I was so happy that I tried another board. Faire Square.

So, I do Faire Square. I was like "OMG I REMEMBER PLAYING THIS BOARD WITH MY FRIEND!!! :D" I remembered the Slot Machine, the Orbs, the buying of multiple stars... I was in Heaven. :D
It was like the best time ever. And whenever Twila made the stars 5 or 10 coins, I was like (Gold) MUSHROOM, GO GO GO!!!!! Because of that, I ended up with like 30+ Stars. It was fantastic and had the best time ever. I had won again. :D

I loved this game so much to the point where I'd study which Orbs appear on which boards, where the set Star Space locations are... Yes, I am that nerdy about this game. XD

I loved PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING about this game. The boards, the Day & Night, the Orbs, the mini-games, the music and more!!!!! My favorite boards are E. Gadd's Garage and Faire Square. E. Gadd's Garage might be a simple board, but the Orbs available and Scientific theme made it amazing!!!!! And for Faire Square, I love the concept of buying multiple stars and the Orbs (though not as good as E. Gadd's Garage, but still good :D) and it was the 1st board I played with my friend.

Though there are mini-games I hate, like Same Is Lame, luck based games, Ray of Fright (on the Team) and Conveyor Bolt (Only at Night and if I'm the Lone player) Those mini-games I can only win if I'm lucky. XD

Mario Party 6 is a game I LOVED AS A KID AND STILL LOVE IT TO THIS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thank you for reading!!!

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Yeah, the mario party series is pretty fun, I just think they made too many without really expanding the gameplay very much.

The newest one they did change the gameplay....into a terrible game where you work together to defeat bowser rather than fight against each other. It's hardly even real mario party...the game where you hate your friends with a vengeance and then laugh about it afterward.

Personally, I love mario party 2 the most (nostalgia factor and a lot less difficult that mario party 1), but I'll readily admit that mario party 4 was actually the best.

Mario party 6 was alright =p

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I own MP2 for the N64, and MP8 for the wii. 2 is definately the better of the two, but I still remember MP1 being best, cuz Peach's birthday cake was the best board.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
MP3 is a close 2nd, but I'll be honest, I CANNOT STAND 5. It has really good mini-games but the boards killed it for me. :(

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
For the most part I've only played on a consistant basis Mario Party 1, 2 and 3; therefore I can't really formulate an opinion of which Mario Party is the best in the series.

I will state however that I do not like the new Mario Party that just recently came out. It's too different from the originals. Not only that, but how in the world did I win a game of Mario Party when I did NOT win a single mini-game. That is just ridiculous and unacceptable.

I should play Mario Party 4 sometime. I do enjoy the games a lot.

Even though I did state earlier in my post that I can't pick a favorite Mario Party game in the series, I will say that of the ones I have played, that Mario Party 1 is my favorite. I really enjoy Princess Peach's Birthday Cake stage because it rewards players who win mini-games. The star stays put in 1 spot and doesn't move to give anyone an unfair advantage. Secondly, A player who has won a bunch of minigames can purchase pirhana plants to yoink stars from the competition. That is cool.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I really enjoy Princess Peach's Birthday Cake stage because it rewards players who win mini-games. The star stays put in 1 spot and doesn't move to give anyone an unfair advantage. Secondly, A player who has won a bunch of minigames can purchase pirhana plants to yoink stars from the competition. That is cool.
That practically summed up why I love Peach's Birthday Cake in MP1 :bee:

MP3 is my fave of the N64 games and it's actually my 2nd favorite.

I actually like MP9 better than MP8 and MP9 is actually my 3rd favorite of the series... :p

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I will say that of the ones I have played, that Mario Party 1 is my favorite. I really enjoy Princess Peach's Birthday Cake stage because it rewards players who win mini-games. The star stays put in 1 spot and doesn't move to give anyone an unfair advantage. Secondly, A player who has won a bunch of minigames can purchase pirhana plants to yoink stars from the competition. That is cool.
You have to be joking! (Imma have to clock the tea).

Peach's Birthday Cake is one of the most LUCK-BASED, unfair, annoying, monstrosity I have ever seen on a Mario Party game (though I do like the scenery). That Flower Lottery really ruins the board, especially after you get 2 Bowser Seeds in a row, then get a Toad Seed, but before you can roll to the Star, you get a Warp Block and switch with someone in the Bowser cake route... It's just... no. =P I don't really like MP1, it's just too luck-based and you have no control, but that's just me, Mini-Games are cool, though Bash 'n' Cash is pure bullf***.

BSP

Smash Legend
MP3 is a close 2nd, but I'll be honest, I CANNOT STAND 5. It has really good mini-games but the boards killed it for me. :(
The only thing I didn't like about the boards was the fact that you always had a chance to hit your own capsule.

Other than that, 5 was jam-packed with a ton of good content. Loved it.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Mario Party is the main event for me, no matter what tournament I'm attending lol. So much funnnn

I'll put up some pictures here since we're at it. I'm Wario in every pic.

Yes, there was money on the line >_>

The star happened to be, like, seven spaces away.

We played 35 turns. Go figure.

Three guys landed on a DK space on the first turn >_>
________

As you might expect, 6 is my favourite, followed by 5 and 9.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Personally, Mario Party 7 was the best Mario Party. That, and Mario Party 1

Although I might just be speaking from nostalgia

BSP

Smash Legend
Have you all owned every MP? I don't own all of them, but I have played all of them. That probably skews my ranking about.

Oddly, I never owned 5, but it's still second to me.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I havent played all of them, and Mario Party isn't exactly my kinda game. But out the ones I have played, for some reason I liked Advance the most.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
It was borderline, I'll give it that. Not "good" like the first 3, though.

5 and up were just bad. 8 was intolerable.

BSP

Smash Legend
> implying Mario Party wasn't *** after 3.
It got worse, but as I said IMO, 5, 6, and 7 were quite alright. I like 5 over 1 and 2 actually.

I think Mario Party 4 was quite alright. :urg:
4 was alright, but tbh, I kinda hate it at this point. It's really annoying that to be able to move more than 10 spaces, you sacrifice all board events. The minigames aren't that great either.

It was borderline, I'll give it that. Not "good" like the first 3, though.

5 and up were just bad. 8 was intolerable.
More 5 hate :urg: I'll agree that 8 dropped the ball quite a bit.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
The boards in 5 are just too dull for me and don't get me started on the Capsules. -___-

MP4 was ok, but like BSP said, you have to bypass all board events to move more than 10 spaces. Which pissed me off.

I own every MP except for 1 and 3, however I have played them all. (Oddly the ones I have can be played on the Wii XD) (2 is on VC, 4-7 are compatible with the Wii and 8-9 are Wii games :p)

MP7... Oh no. That I find it worse than 5... The mini-games aren't fun and there was a lack of quantity and what REALLY broke it for me was the F***ING BOWSER TIME. Every 5 turns we have to face Bowser's wrath? No thanks. >____<

As you might expect, 6 is my favourite, followed by 5 and 9.
Yay someone who has 6 as their fave as well xD :bee:

This is just my opinion, not trying to force it onto others or anything. =P

Loota

Smash Journeyman
The only one I really dislike is 4. The minimega-system is no fun at all, the boards are designed around it so they're also pretty bad and sloooow as ****. The minigames aren't too bad but the other games just have better collections than it has. Also that minigame start up time x_x It takes like a million seconds to the game actually begin after the announcer has said start.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Was 7 really that bad of a MP? I remember playing it and having a ton of fun with it. I dunno what happened to it though, but I'd still play it if I still had it :phone:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
A few weeks ago I played MP6 and took pics of my results. Was awesome :bee: I was obviously Yoshi. :p

[COLLAPSE="MP6 Pics"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Top Bottom