• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Mario Model and Target Test Model Importer

zankyou

Smash Lord
Just spent forever adding complex preshading options only to remember theres something in melee that probably does what I want

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
First steps in stages not being so dark anymore

Color representation is also closer to how it is in brawl. I dont have access to all of the functions brawl has, but Im getting closer to imitating them.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
How much do you guys care about character shadows on stages? I have a few ideas about how to go about doing it but if no one cares Ill prioritize importing stage collisions and camera stuff.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
They would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be sad if they weren't implemented. I usually don't pay attention to shadows when playing.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
How much do you guys care about character shadows on stages? I have a few ideas about how to go about doing it but if no one cares Ill prioritize importing stage collisions and camera stuff.
A lot, actually. But I'm just a perfectionist about details like that which is why I care so much. With my Metal Cavern M import, I modified nearly all the main stage models with 3ds Max and split them into separate objects that should have shadows cast on them and those sections that should not. The platform red grate and blue metal, the main green walkway metal, and the dirt.

Its probably something that doesn't need to be prioritized until the user can manually change flags via a GUI.

zankyou

Smash Lord
A lot, actually. But I'm just a perfectionist about details like that which is why I care so much. With my Metal Cavern M import, I modified nearly all the main stage models with 3ds Max and split them into separate objects that should have shadows cast on them and those sections that should not. The platform red grate and blue metal, the main green walkway metal, and the dirt.

Its probably something that doesn't need to be prioritized until the user can manually change flags via a GUI.
As far as the GUI goes. Ive been using DTW to change flags and its really effective. Ive gotten the program to where most flags can be changed via brawlbox so you only have to use DTW to change a certain texture flag from 0x34-0x37 for those black copies of textures.
I spent all morning trying to get the shadows from brawl to work to no avail. I really dont want to require 3ds max for shadows but it might be impossible otherwise.

Last edited:

SonicTheHedgehog02

Smash Journeyman
Does the character have to be mario? Im playing around with the character importer thing and when I try opening a Fox.dat, it just instantly closes.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Sorry I haven't given a update in a while. I've been looking into some java stuff for a cross platform option. I swear I'll have something soon.

SmashModGod

Smash Cadet
This is awesome work!!

Basically, if this program starts to work, we could download chars and stages from BrawlVault and put them into melee???!

Mind blown this is awesome, let me know how I can test and Help!

zankyou

Smash Lord
Just finished re working a few functions. I might take another look at characters. Theres something weird that happens to the bones that I didnt look too hard at since everyone wanted stages.

DRGN

Technowizard
While I call this program a converter, thats probably only uses 1/3 of what this program can do. Would you guys rather I focus more on the implementation of something like a melee box or focus more on making a finished converter with a gui. Both are actually pretty close to being done. But opengl is being stubborn.
Sorry I haven't given a update in a while. I've been looking into some java stuff for a cross platform option. I swear I'll have something soon.
I definitely should have replied to this when you posted it, but... how deep into this with java are you? I was just wondering if this could this be done in python (v2.7)? I ask because, besides myself, I know that both you and Achilles also know python (as well as a few other members of the community), so it could potentially be worked on more easily by more people. Python can also be distributed as an executable (while a lot of users don't like installing java), and for cross-platform too.

I'm guessing this is a bit too late, and I would understand if you wouldn't want to at this point. Maybe you're working on a converter only atm, in which case this language question is mostly moot. But if there were to be a MeleeBox at some point, and it was done in python, then perhaps it could even be merged with functionality of DTW (including the new, fancy disc operations I've been working on) and MCM. Talk about an all-encompassing tool!

russmarrs2

Smash Rookie
Hey there, I've been trying to import a model over Mario using the arc converter, but when I open Melee in Dolphin I keep getting this error:

I'm not sure why it's happening, but I'm not sure I'm doing this right either. Here is the pac file I'm using: http://sta.sh/0cwt0dqm72 It's just a test model that I'm using for now, I downloaded it from Brawlvault. The only thing I did to it was change the compression to none. If anyone knows why this isn't working I would greatly appreciate it.

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
russmarrs2 russmarrs2 , what are you using to re-import the model to the .iso?
I know some models just don't work at all because they use bone edits (especially one-slot "size mods"), and the importer will still produce a garbage output from crashing at an unrecognized bone.

I recommend testing with the "MiyaMario" mod to test your process, as it's one of few that easily 'just works.'
Also, for re-importing, the exported models are generally larger, so I personally use GameCube Rebuilder (v1.0) to unpack and re-create the .iso, and that generally works.

When running the model importing tool, also be sure that you are selecting the correct archives.
Also, FYI, how it looks in BrawlBox is what you get, so anything like blinking eyes or under-hat objects will not disappear upon importing.

Last edited:

russmarrs2

Smash Rookie
Thanks for replying, I've been using DAT Texture Wizard to replace the model file in the iso. I actually just tried the MiyaMario mod you sent me and it worked. I'm going to try replacing the model in that mod and see if it works. When I'm done I'll post an update on whether it worked or not.

russmarrs2

Smash Rookie
So, I replaced the model and it imported fine, but the rigging's acting up for some reason:

The only bones he's rigged to in this picture are WaistN and HipN, but normally him being rigged to just those bones shouldn't look like this. I also tried rigging his right arm to RShoulderJ earlier, but that also came out weird for some reason, with the hand being completely detached from the arm despite them both being rigged to the same bone.

Last edited:

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
Melee's bone handling is much more picky than Brawl's, and furthermore, the importer does replace the bone structure of the character being replaced, so there's a heavy chance that the lack of other polygons being rigged is messing with the rest of the model.
I've had a similar problem with the Tails over Mario model, where he was working in Brawl, but Melee just ate his head off.
The solution was essentially to just re-rig the head to a close or similar bone that plays the same role in the animations.

As far as Wario here, everything being rigged to the WaistN and HipN bones are doing that odd positioning because the Melee bone ignores the vertices original placement, and re-positions it to where ever the bone is. In both cases, the waist and hip bones are much higher than the shoes, and lower than the spine, so Wario's display gets garbled in that exact fashion.

I would recommend rigging the entire model at a "slop" and quick level of effort to make sure it will work (based on nearest bone), and then fine-tune the model to be rigged more accurately.

Alternatively, you could try rigging over the original or Smash 3C Mario models; this way, you know it's user error, rather than MiyaMario's bone structure just being different.

Last edited:

russmarrs2

Smash Rookie
Thanks for responding again. I actually figured out the rigging problem, I guess I just needed to import it in the latest version of Brawlbox rather than the one I was already using. The rig in this pic still looks kind of sloppy, but that's mainly because it's a test rig:

There is still one more thing I'm wondering about though, which is the metal. Whenever Wario gets the metal box, an extra model of Mario shows up:

In this picture, most of him is covered by Wario's model, but you can still see Mario's legs and hat some. Do you know if there's any way to fix this?

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
Thanks for responding again. I actually figured out the rigging problem, I guess I just needed to import it in the latest version of Brawlbox rather than the one I was already using. The rig in this pic still looks kind of sloppy, but that's mainly because it's a test rig:

There is still one more thing I'm wondering about though, which is the metal. Whenever Wario gets the metal box, an extra model of Mario shows up:

In this picture, most of him is covered by Wario's model, but you can still see Mario's legs and hat some. Do you know if there's any way to fix this?
this looks awesome do you have a .DAT file that i can download

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
slowbruh slowbruh : After he finishes it, I'd assume.

As far as the metal model issue russmarrs2 russmarrs2 , it seems like more of an application-side issue, rather than a user error.
I thought there was some sort of documentation acknowledging it, and that it would be fixed (or looked at) for the next update.

russmarrs2

Smash Rookie
slowbruh slowbruh Thanks, as CalvinHedgewolf13 said I'll probably have a download link for it when I'm finished. :)

CalvinHedgewolf13 CalvinHedgewolf13 Ah, I see. I guess I'll just have to roll with it until the next update, which should be okay since I can just play without the metal box turned on. lol

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
slowbruh slowbruh Thanks, as CalvinHedgewolf13 said I'll probably have a download link for it when I'm finished. :)

CalvinHedgewolf13 CalvinHedgewolf13 Ah, I see. I guess I'll just have to roll with it until the next update, which should be okay since I can just play without the metal box turned on. lol
soooooooooooo? a download link? (sorry if i'm being annoying but i really want to play as wario)

Altimor

Smash Rookie
I tried using the current version on an unmodded Melee 1.02 with FitMario00.pac from Data Partition 2 on Brawl Vault and Dolphin crashes when trying to compile shaders when I go into a game with Mario. Are you sure you didn't break something?

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
Alright, so I just tried that same FitMario00.pac from KC-MM's Data Partition 2, and it crashes both in Dolphin and on hardware (after "proper" conversion).

I'm not entirely sure what to say about that, but I've heard that the Smash3C model will work fine, and it's technically the same model.

EDIT:
Took just a little hassling, but I got it "working."

It's the Smash 3C model with the original Brawl textures on it.
I almost found the cause for the crash, but can't fix it. It's something to do with the lack of the "edge" reflective material.

That said, here's the template for a Brawl Mario in Melee, including pre-compiled variants of everything:
Brawl Mario for Melee ["Template" files]

Last edited:

Altimor

Smash Rookie
Well that's weird. Thanks.

Questions: How does this handle bubble LOD models and what do the numbers in the cfg correspond to?

EDIT: also open source would make everything way easier

Last edited:

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
when will a user friendly version come out? (or a version that is more understandable or some tutorial video or something

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
When (and if?) the update comes out, Z zankyou has mentioned it being in a Java-based multi-processor compatible state.
Presumably, this port would make it easier to make run, but making a friendly-looking GUI is probably going to be a bit later than that.

A lot of us are waiting to hear back on what's been updated and unreleased on his software, but until we hear back, we can all just guess, and/or wait to see.

Feel free to PM him, though. (Or me. You can bug me about importing a Mario skin if you'd like.)

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
When (and if?) the update comes out, Z zankyou has mentioned it being in a Java-based multi-processor compatible state.
Presumably, this port would make it easier to make run, but making a friendly-looking GUI is probably going to be a bit later than that.

A lot of us are waiting to hear back on what's been updated and unreleased on his software, but until we hear back, we can all just guess, and/or wait to see.

Feel free to PM him, though. (Or me. You can bug me about importing a Mario skin if you'd like.)
wow you can port https://mega.nz/#!n0hUUSxS!flhMLodKBQejZtIUnfE6MZWT00ilqwr_I8E05Ij0Pi0 over black mario?

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
How does this handle bubble LOD models?
"Bubble LOD," if you mean the hitboxes, Melee acts like Brawl. It reads the bone's position, and adjusts based on what the base skeleton says. Unfortunately, matching bones would not be overridden, but rather the animations would warp accordingly. (Effortless size mods confirmed.)
The hitboxes are not concrete, like Smash 4.

-- and what do the numbers in the cfg correspond to?
The numeric bone ID of the Melee character that the program ports over.
There's a list up in another thread with Captain Falcon's equate, but I have personally had no luck getting it to work.

Also, open source would make everything way easier.
I agree on that, way too much.
Note that he mentioned about how after a bit of cleanup on the source-coding, he intended to release it.

wow you can port this long link over black mario?
So you (and all of us) know, PM stands for Private Message. I'm not sure about moving it to another costume, but consider it being worked on.
I'll let you figure out how to PM me about updates on the task.

Altimor

Smash Rookie
"Bubble LOD," if you mean the hitboxes, Melee acts like Brawl. It reads the bone's position, and adjusts based on what the base skeleton says. Unfortunately, matching bones would not be overridden, but rather the animations would warp accordingly. (Effortless size mods confirmed.)
The hitboxes are not concrete, like Smash 4.
I meant the low quality models that appear when characters are off screen. LOD = level of detail.

The numeric bone ID of the Melee character that the program ports over.
There's a list up in another thread with Captain Falcon's equate, but I have personally had no luck getting it to work.
I was mostly wondering about these two.
Mario->9
Mario::61

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
"Mario->9"
Mario is character ID #9.

"Mario::61"
And has 61 bones.

The Low-Poly models, I'm not sure how, but it does replace them.
My bet is that it either makes one by cutting down the poly count, or it saves the normal model once and assigns the Low-Poly model to use the same polygon pointers.

("LOD" had me confused, as LQ seems more like "low quality" in my opinion, as LOD would be more for background blur.)

DRGN

Technowizard
I meant the low quality models that appear when characters are off screen. LOD = level of detail.

I was mostly wondering about these two.
Mario->9
Mario::61
"Mario->9"
Mario is character ID #9.

"Mario::61"
And has 61 bones.

The Low-Poly models, I'm not sure how, but it does replace them.
My bet is that it either makes one by cutting down the poly count, or it saves the normal model once and assigns the Low-Poly model to use the same polygon pointers.

("LOD" had me confused, as LQ seems more like "low quality" in my opinion, as LOD would be more for background blur.)
LOD does stand for Level Of Detail, but it doesn't refer to the off-screen/bubble models. It refers to mipmaps. Which are the sets of identical, but varied resolution textures for rendering at various distances, found on stages like Yoshi's Story or Hyrule Temple. In DTW they're highlighted in a light-blue color on the DAT Texture Tree tab.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I almost found the cause for the crash, but can't fix it. It's something to do with the lack of the "edge" reflective material.
Could you tell me the exact file you are using. Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but you have to delete the metal material groups or something happens with the drawlist.

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
Last edited:
Top Bottom