• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Mario Model and Target Test Model Importer

zankyou

Smash Lord
Z zankyou The .pac file that was crashing was simply a vanilla NTSC FitMario00.pac.
By using the Smash 3C Toxic Mario skin, I was able to re-import the vanilla textures and call it a day.

The included link on the post has the original files, along with a folder named "Crash Replicated," which I had done so by editing the 3C .pac's .mdl0 that was working.
Using the program in the first post, to get the file to work you will need to delete the material groups that hold the metal texture. I think brawl reads them differently but I know the drawlist used with them has a very high fail rate for importing. You'll want to delete these for every model you wish to import. Its generally a good idea to save and reload the pac file in brawlbox as it may need to fix some issues it creates in the file.

He lives!
Living is hard.

Last edited:

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
I've been looking at this for a while and I honestly wouldn't know where to start. What knowledge do i have to have before starting to work on these imports? And does this produce good results if done right?

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
When done "right," you essentially have whatever model working on top of Mario's moveset.
The resulting quality is really based on what model you do or don't use, but the imported models come out nicely.

The knowledge you need to know beforehand is essentially just how to use BrawlBox to make sure the .pac is uncompressed (and remove Metal texture references), correct any materials that use "Mask" layers in odd manors, and how to not be scared of CMD's interface. The tool is really easy to use when the .pac is ready. Open, select the base file PlMrNr.dat, open your .pac file with the model in it, and then tell it where to save the Melee converted file.

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
When done "right," you essentially have whatever model working on top of Mario's moveset.
The resulting quality is really based on what model you do or don't use, but the imported models come out nicely.

The knowledge you need to know beforehand is essentially just how to use BrawlBox to make sure the .pac is uncompressed (and remove Metal texture references), correct any materials that use "Mask" layers in odd manors, and how to not be scared of CMD's interface. The tool is really easy to use when the .pac is ready. Open, select the base file PlMrNr.dat, open your .pac file with the model in it, and then tell it where to save the Melee converted file.
That's great to know actually and will use that info sometime, but I actually was leaning more towards stage importing and wasn't clear on that

ThatGamingGuyTho

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3241-2949-2604
Every time i open FitMario00.pac in importer it crashes.It would really be nice if someone could help thanks.

Last edited:

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074

I guess.

Still need to get a screenshot, but Dolphin's being a bit unresponsive..

Last edited:

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
So I've been sitting on this for a while

GALE01-21.png

I finally got it to look good a while ago, i just have to do collisions, blastzones, spawns, and i may want to have this go over the orginal battlefield so it can have it's background, kinda like how the smash 4 fd import goes over the original fd. The only thing is i don't know how to do any of this, and smash forge is kinda limited and i don't think it could do much of what i want. If anyone has any information on how to do any of these things mentioned above, please pm me or reply with links to point me in the right direction

Last edited:

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
You can try to talk to Z zankyou but he's a busy dude, so there might not be much luck in that. Other than that, @Tcll is working on something for this, but it's going to be a while before it's fully ready.

You're best bet right now, is maybe using the model converter to import it over Sheik's Target Test stage with our current technology, and then you can make the Battlefield option on the Stage Select Screen redirect to Sheik's Target Test Stage with a simple Gecko code.

Last edited:

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
You can try to talk to Z zankyou but he's a busy dude, so there might not be much luck in that. Other than that, @Tcll is working on something for this, but it's going to be a while before it's fully ready.

You're best bet right now, is maybe using the model converter to import it over Sheik's Target Test stage with our current technology, and then you can make the Battlefield option on the Stage Select Screen redirect to Sheik's Target Test Stage with a simple Gecko code.
This actually was made with the model converter so it's already over the sheik target test stage, it just needs to be modified so the targets can be removed, collisions and spawns to be added, blastzone still be adjusted, etc. But I appreciate the advice and knowledge, I really hope that some new developments come out soon from both zankyou and Tcll

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
Hm. I've noticed that the "command line" hyperlink was removed only a day after it was posted.
Really hoping that's signifying another update soon, as it's August now, and whatever the new tool's setup is, it was fairly different in comparison.
Planning on tackling it again with some extra research on the terms the all-text pseudo-UI gives me, but there was certainly little to no documentation with it to explain the new settings.

That, and it'd be really nice to see Samus added to the list. And, yes, one of my biggest hopes was for Fox, which I'm so grateful to see in this update.
More so once I can figure out what's going on with it.

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet

hey guys look I got Gohan model to work

So jokes aside, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right:

• I get my pac fighter file
  • I open converter
  • select my normal vanilla PlMrNr.dat
  • select my pac fighter file
TRICKY PART:
  • I usually just hit 0 and 0, because 1 & 3 are textures that crashes the converter, and 2 gives blank model-less mario that I can play with, but no model shows up, only hitboxes and sound effects, and 4 just usually freezes. Not crash, with a dolphin error message, but just freezes dolphin
  • so my best case scenario with 0 and 0 are that it loads, and the model looks like that one above or similar. Worst case is crashes

I'm trying with lots of pac fighters, and this type of lame situation just seems to repeat for all pac files.

I'm only using kk bvault pacs for mario char model there, not trying to use luigi chars etc

am I doing it right?

Kept on going with those steps, finally found one that works.

Then I saw that Zankyou already did this one too :D

I saw the comment about using bbox to delete the hurt eyes, how do I do that again?

And did a solution ever get found for the hair clipping? Like deleting those hair tufts is possible?

Gonna keep chugging along with these

interesting how similar all these DBZ ones always look

got that weird pokemon ninja guy from black n white to work, without a head though lol

but any movements or attacks pushes it into the Z axis, strange.

Sometimes hitboxes overlap and actually hit, but it's definitely harder to fight wayyy in this axis

got my own lil sans to work

So this software can't work with pcs files at all?

Shame, that's like half of the smash 3d library then..... :,(

Here's some crazy pics from all my work today:

hours and hours of glitches and deleting stuff that doesnt work

alot of these glitched ones still work and are totally playable. I can give download links if enough people want to play as these nightmares

totally playable mario nightmare

another

victorias secret model with mario voices

awesome mario

one that actually turned out nice, still needs more editing

probably the best one.

keeping other ones secret for projects :D

Also, Z zankyou did you just use this same program to do your capt falcon model imports too? or is it only mario? How did you make Ryu

so I got lots more to work today, went through all 42 pages of kk bvault and id say about 5% of skins seem to work on average

Also glad to see that some others work, including from completely other characters on there.

But just sad to see that this is all only for Mario..... like this Z zankyou program literally crashes when trying over PlCaNr.dat or anyone else's file...

so how did he replace textures over Captain Falcon then? Or how is @TDRR making Lucina over Marth, or Yumi over Dr Mario???

They must be using a different tool, because this import only goes over Mario.... :,(

excited to show what I'm working on releasing soon though :)

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
Could this software ever be expanded to more or every character?

It's not really realistic for everyone to learn the Bizz Blender method to importing models. Takes weeks to grasp, at least, for beginners.

This Mario importer, on the other hand, is slightly magic, and if it had a little UI and could work with other characters, we basically will be millions of years transported into the future, in terms of modding Melee. Ofc some models wouldn't work / be glitchy, but some would totally work. Like I said in my post, about 5-10% from brawlvault imported perfectly in about 3 clicks. That's amazing

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
I know this thread is dead but I'd put up to $1,000 towards a bounty to get this software completed for Melee char imports from Brawl pac files.

MeleeBox would be amazing. Would change the scene

I have this same username on YT, Insta, Discord, Patreon & everywhere so you know where to find me

Last edited:

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
Maybe I misunderstood something though.

Is it easy to import brawl skins to melee?

That's the main thing I'd like to do.

Importing random new 3D models from scratch into melee takes forever

Top Bottom