• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I probably won't play much online in a more serious manner on the first day or maybe even week, but my uncle is getting the game on release too, so I may end up playing online with him for a bit. I'll also just want to see how the connection holds up for me, just to know how it is.

My primary goal at first will be to unlock Rosalina, and just completing all of the Grand Prix. I also want to collect all of the stamps.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I kinda feel like (this is completely just a hunch, not proven or anything) that handling and speed will be really important. Not sure why. If so, then this would probably be a good combo.
Mario/Luigi/Iggy/Ludwig - Sport Bike - Slick Tires - Any glider
Even if my hunch isn't correct (I doubt it is), this still would probably be a good combo. Good in every stat except traction.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
After all, the tracks we want are going to come up a lot less frequently given the new voting system in MK8; being a well-rounded racer with a well-rounded combo will probably be key. No more Toadette on the Magikruiser spamming GBA Shy Guy Beach, or Funky on his Flame Runner spamming Rainbow Road, Delfino Square, etc.
Can I get an AMEN for this? Getting the same courses spammed over and over again by the same people was getting old in MK7, especially when they only spammed courses that only benefited their character/kart combo.

Now everyone has to learn the ins and outs of every track if they're serious about staying on top.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm a little concerned I may not have this on release since I am looking to get the Limited Edition that comes with the Spiny Shell statue. My local GameStop doesn't know if they will have it (they never seem to know these things), so I am going down tomorrow to see if they are getting it in. If not, then I will have to buy online to get the Limited Edition, which probably would not arrive until next week.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
High speed may not be enough though, as you can't build your defenses like in past Mario Karts. Also, the inside drifting bikes may require way more effort to use right, especially since their traction is the worst of any vehicle body.

If you're concerned about acceleration, but still want tolerable speed, there are at least three combos that hardly have any significant weaknesses, and have high acceleration to boot.

Character: Rosalina / Donkey Kong / Waluigi / Roy Koopa
Vehicle: Biddybuggy / Landship / Mr. Scooty
Wheels: Roller / Azure Roller / Button
Glider: Bowser Kite / Cloud Glider / Flower Glider / Peach Parasol / Parachute / Parafoil / MKTV Parafoil

Of course, I'll probably spend some time with this type of combination, as it seems like Mario Kart 8's answer to the following combo...

Light (Peach, Daisy, Yoshi) + Bumble V + Wood + Paraglider (Swooper, Flower Glider, Peach Parasol)

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Yes, it's good to have a chance to see every track every once in a while IMO. Instead of having 3-4 of them overplayed to Hell and everything else being left in the cold.

Interesting combos as well, I was hoping the Landship would be an all-around vehicle (haven't seen the stats); I kind of want to use Ludwig in it. Although Ludwig is a Cruiser, I'm sure he'll still be similar (lacking a bit of speed and weight, but having a slight bit more in other stats). Something I noticed is that the Metals don't seem like a very good class, you're almost better off going with someone who is Heavy or Super Heavy over them. However, it's a bit early to say anything, since there may be a combo that suits them perfectly as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yet again, Rosalina is top tier when she is playable in something! :V

All the more reason for me to play as her all of the time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you ever see me using Rosalina, I likely will only be pairing her with karts. I'm not all that fond of her biker outfit, as she looks more appealing in a dress for my tastes.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Rosalina is overrated.

Real G's use Shy Guy.

EDIT: LOL I was frontrunning online in MK7 so at the end of the race I got cocky and tried to back into the finish line... Failed miserably and ended up in 5th xD

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll be sticking to the age old strategy of knocking people off the track with heavy people.

Did main/use Koopa in Wii, though, and am interested in Shy Guy on a home console title. And obviously the Koopalings.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I went down to my local GameStop today to check if they were getting the Limited Edition in, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find they will have it, so I've switched my pre-order over to the Limited Edition. So I'll definitely have the game on Friday now, plus that snazzy Spiny Shell statue!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Too bad the limited edition is really limited here. But that's okay, because we get a sexy red case. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is the red case exclusive to the Wii U bundle? I'm merely asking, since I have recalled New Super Mario Bros. Wii having the red case, even when bought separately.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think the case is just naturally going to be red for MK8. Although I did see a few pictures of it on Amazon with blue on the ridges.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
NSMBW did have a red case regardless of how you bought it.

I was not even aware there are going to be copies with red cases for MK8. The only extra thing I'm getting is that Spiny Shell statue, as far as I'm aware.

I'd rather not have a red case myself, though.

Zip.

Smash Lord
Is the red case exclusive to the Wii U bundle? I'm merely asking, since I have recalled New Super Mario Bros. Wii having the red case, even when bought separately.
I think it is, since in a good amount of unboxing videos ive seen the cases were blue.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think all North American copies come in a red case, bundle or not. The Wii U banner is still blue, though.

R0Y

Smash Master
All North American copies have a red case. All European copies have a blue case.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's a 1080p, 60FPS video of MK8. Make sure to set the player speed to 2x. Also, make sure you are using Google Chrome.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Here's a 1080p, 60FPS video of MK8. Make sure to set the player speed to 2x. Also, make sure you are using Google Chrome.
Works on Firefox as well. Thanks for sharing.

Here's how to rocket boost start, very similar to MK7, but I believe when you pressed it within the time limit didn't matter in that game.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
One thing I don't like about this game, though, is that the final lap music speed up seems too big. A lot of the music tracks hardly have a melody on the last lap, because they're going too fast.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
All these little details that went into the game are phenomenal. They're not much in themselves, but when you add it all up, these details really contribute to the experience.
Yeah, MK8's become so much more than "just" a go-karter.

Oh, by the way, I got a Wii U yesterday, so if anyone wants to race at launch, hit me up!

R0Y

Smash Master
Free Mercedes Benz kart DLC coming this summer...not making this up. There's an image and a live action commercial, lol. Can't link cause I'm on mobile

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Goddammit it's even Metal Mario colored.

Even if it's terrible statwise, that's going to be the go-to kart of every tryhard, 13-year-old and dudebro ever on Wi-Fi.

Shog

Smash Ace
I am the one rocking DK. See ya folks tomorrow. And I didn't spoiler myself a lot. That will be amazing

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Guys, if there is DLC for characters, who would you want to see?

- Bowser Jr.
- Diddy Kong
- Dry Bones
- Dry Bowser
- E. Gadd
- Nabbit
- Green Bronze Luigi
- King Boo
- Petey Piranha

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really need anyone as DLC. But if they do DLC:

-Bring back the characters that are weirdly missing, like Birdo and Diddy.

OR

-Bring in guest characters. Kirby would be a nice start considering how they teased us with Rosalina's Smash 4 reveal. Heck, I'd be happy with just Kirby, and an accompanying Warp Star vehicle.

EDIT:

The **** eating head on him tho

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Gonna be pretty satisfying to beat all the Mercedes with the Pipe Frame. :p

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Can't wait for tomorrow but more importantly this weekend. I didn't pre-order it so I'm a little scared of not being able to get a copy tomorrow. Besides getting a free game which is awesome...did anyone get any free merch from pre-ordering?

Zip.

Smash Lord
I preordered from gamestop and im getting a poster iirc.

not too sure of preorder bonuses from other places.

i think you get a gas card from best buy.(yeah)

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I preordered from Target and apparently they're giving away keychains.

Last edited:
Top Bottom