• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Those guys are unbalanced because of their stats (in combination with certain kart combinations). If they really wanted to make a balanced game, they wouldn't make characters with over-powered stats in the first place. Placing a handicap on the player in first place is not balance, it's a poor attempt at masking an otherwise unbalanced game.
Ironically, the kart combo with the best stat total in Mario Kart 7 is the Cloud 9 + Wood + Super Glider (Beast Glider, Gold Glider), but that's one of the slowest combinations in the game.

You must also remember that Mario Kart Wii had wheelie boosts and standstill mini-turbos; none of which are in Mario Kart 8.

One final note is that pure speed does NOT equal overpowered, as other elements need to be taken into account too.

In the end, it's pretty much impossible to make a game completely balanced, as there are always going to be points where people discover combos that can be abused like a plague.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Okay, as someone who has played Mario Kart competitively for a long time, let me just say, this is completely true:
This also means item management is going to be more important then ever.
In the situation where a Blue is coming followed by a Red, thats fair because the guy in second place was also managing his items and it using that Red as an offensive option while losing his defensive option. Sure, he's taking advantage of the Blue to find an opening on the guy in first, but now he is vulnerable.

Also, the thing I always hate when I hear discussion on Mario Kart is when people tend to think the Blue shell is this allmighty being that everyone fears and is the worst item in the game. Really, Blues have never been the huge problem, there are MANY ways to evade them in every game, whether it be power items, Shrooms (which you can get in 1st btw), or in some games like Double Dash just drifting sharply, there are always ways to avoid them so long as you plan ahead for them or are prepared. The real threatening item is Lightning, but even then its always been programmed to show up at certain times, and by keeping track of the positioning on the players who should be getting the Lightning and watching for signs like good shock points, enemy players randomly popping power items in clan wars, etc, you can predict Shocks with Power items/positioning near boost/etc yourself, but even then Lightning is still the real elephant in the room when it comes to items that are actually a threat. The skillful part of Mario Kart is being able to manage your items and such and getting to the lead with options, and the players who can successfully do so are 99% of the time using their items smart, have good lines to minimize the need for item uses, are vigilant in their surrounding to allow themselves to see whats coming and knowing how to best avoid bad situations, etc. For this reason, I also dont think getting coins in 1st while having max coins is a problem, you shouldn't be relying on your 1st place item boxes to keep you safe, you should be managing your lower place item(s) to keep yourself safe. Sure, there are always inescapable situations, that happens, but thats why this game has a Cup or Grand Prix system; its who does the best overall, not just one race.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, as someone who has played Mario Kart competitively for a long time, let me just say, this is completely true:

In the situation where a Blue is coming followed by a Red, thats fair because the guy in second place was also managing his items and it using that Red as an offensive option while losing his defensive option. Sure, he's taking advantage of the Blue to find an opening on the guy in first, but now he is vulnerable.

Also, the thing I always hate when I hear discussion on Mario Kart is when people tend to think the Blue shell is this allmighty being that everyone fears and is the worst item in the game. Really, Blues have never been the huge problem, there are MANY ways to evade them in every game, whether it be power items, Shrooms (which you can get in 1st btw), or in some games like Double Dash just drifting sharply, there are always ways to avoid them so long as you plan ahead for them or are prepared. The real threatening item is Lightning, but even then its always been programmed to show up at certain times, and by keeping track of the positioning on the players who should be getting the Lightning and watching for signs like good shock points, enemy players randomly popping power items in clan wars, etc, you can predict Shocks with Power items/positioning near boost/etc yourself, but even then Lightning is still the real elephant in the room when it comes to items that are actually a threat. The skillful part of Mario Kart is being able to manage your items and such and getting to the lead with options, and the players who can successfully do so are 99% of the time using their items smart, have good lines to minimize the need for item uses, are vigilant in their surrounding to allow themselves to see whats coming and knowing how to best avoid bad situations, etc. For this reason, I also dont think getting coins in 1st while having max coins is a problem, you shouldn't be relying on your 1st place item boxes to keep you safe, you should be managing your lower place item(s) to keep yourself safe. Sure, there are always inescapable situations, that happens, but thats why this game has a Cup or Grand Prix system; its who does the best overall, not just one race.
This is basically moot though, since they've removed the ability to stock a second item in MK8. Managing lower place items becomes nearly impossible. The race is basically half decided at the beginning of the race if you have to rely on lower place items.

Also, the current methods for evading Spiny Shells and the like are FAR too situational, and are actually glitches. That's bad game deisgn. It's much simpler to just put in a defense mechanic that any racer can use at least moderately.

Heck, even Mario Kart Arcade GP (best Mario Kart game I've played so far, hands down) has a shield mechanic. Using your shield slows you down and you have to time it right, but that's exactly why it was a great mechanic - it rewarded skill. It didn't reward over-reliance on item management or dumb luck, it rewarded your ability to know when something was coming for you and block it at the right time. I honestly never understood why Nintendo never implemented this into the mainstream titles.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This is basically moot though, since they've removed the ability to stock a second item in MK8. Managing lower place items becomes nearly impossible.
No it doesnt, you've always kept that item in your inventory, and since the other players wont be able to have a second item to be offensive with either, it means there's less of a need for an extra defensive item. You're only looking at this from one side, the defensive one, you need to think about it from both sides. The guy in second place isnt going to have an extra item to try and hit you with, and if he does, then HE wont be safe.
The race is basically half decided at the beginning of the race if you have to rely on lower place items.
You dont necessarily need lower place items because the Super Horn works fine and you can get it in first. Obviously power items are always the best, but in order to get the very best items you always have to drop behind, which is a huge risk, especially against players who are good at the game and have good lines. There's still a huge risk/reward going on and there are still viable defensive options you can get in first, so Im not seeing any problems arising from the item balance that are worse than any earlier games.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No it doesnt, you've always kept that item in your inventory, and since the other players wont be able to have a second item to be offensive with either, it means there's less of a need for an extra defensive item. You're only looking at this from one side, the defensive one, you need to think about it from both sides. The guy in second place isnt going to have an extra item to try and hit you with, and if he does, then HE wont be safe.

You dont necessarily need lower place items because the Super Horn works fine and you can get it in first. Obviously power items are always the best, but in order to get the very best items you always have to drop behind, which is a huge risk, especially against players who are good at the game and have good lines. There's still a huge risk/reward going on and there are still viable defensive options you can get in first, so Im not seeing any problems arising from the item balance that are worse than any earlier games.
You're forgetting that multiple players could easily be tailing the lead player, or that one player could have three shells, bananas, or mushrooms at once. So no, losing the ability to stock an extra item greatly throws the balance off without a proper replacement as a defense mechanic.

And you're not supposed to fall behind to get better items as a "risk/reward" mechanic, the powerful items are meant as a comeback mechanic for those lagging behind. I'm saying there should be a proper defense for people in the lead position. Lagging behind to get better power-ups is contrary to Racing 101 in any racing game. The game should be designed so that your goal is getting into first place with your own skills (and a bit of help from well used items), and holding that position. That's why stuff like getting coins that don't do anything for you is a bad thing, or having a randomised defense item. Things like this are contrary to how a racing game is supposed to work, and it's flat out bad design. I don't care if it's tradition or anything, because bad design should never become a tradition. There should be more reliable defensive options in place for skilled players who are in the lead, to counter the powerful offense that could put you back five positions. Not only would this reward the skill of leading players, but it would also reward the skill of lagging players, for being cunning enough to get around defenses, and use items wisely, rather than them being "press button to automatically jump up 5 positions". Right now, getting around the defenses of a leading player is way too easy.

The Super Horn item is a good defense mechanic on paper, but it's implemented poorly, as getting it is completely luck based (and reviewers have been saying it's a rare item at that). I'm saying there should at least be forks in the road where one road leads you to a slower route, but contains an item box that always dishes out a Super Horn, and the other doesn't, but is faster. That's a proper "risk-reward" situation. If you wisely take the risk of going the route without a Super Horn, you are rewarded with a faster route. If you take the risk of lagging behind by taking the route with the Super Horn, you would get rewarded with a defensive option.

Something like that, while not the most ideal option (I seriously just think the shield from Arcade GP should be brought into the main series), would be a whole lot more balanced than "you MIGHT get a defense against the game breaking Spiny Shell, or you MIGHT get a dud item like the Coin, which will lead to you getting hit by a Spiny Shell, punishing you for your skill". Mario Kart has always been criticised for the items being improperly balanced, and from looking at reviews, MK8 is still being criticised. Other kart racers have found easy fixes to Mario Kart's issues and have been praised for it (I consider Sonic & All-Stars Racing and LBP Karting MUCH more competitively viable than previous Mario Kart entries, and MK8 is still lagging behind in that department, by the looks of it), so why can't Mario Kart? There's no point taking flawed design choices and making them sound more "strategic" or "skillful" than they actually are.

At the end of the day, a racing game should never make me feel like I have to pace myself in order to win. My ability to tear up the track should not be something I feel fearful of using due to the strong possibility of me getting punished for it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Mario Kart has always been criticised for the items being improperly balanced, and from looking at reviews, MK8 is still being criticised.
It's Mario Kart. I don't even feel the need to bring up that it was criticized for the lack of racial diversity the other day.

Other kart racers have found easy fixes to Mario Kart's issues and have been praised for it (I consider Sonic & All-Stars Racing and LBP Karting MUCH more competitively viable than previous Mario Kart entries, and MK8 is still lagging behind in that department, by the looks of it), so why can't Mario Kart? There's no point taking flawed design choices and making them sound more "strategic" or "skillful" than they actually are.
Pretty sure I'm not the only one who realized the argument had ended long before this sentence. But thanks for the clarification.

At the end of the day, a racing game should never make me feel like I have to pace myself in order to win. My ability to tear up the track should not be something I feel fearful of using due to the strong possibility of me getting punished for it.
To each their own. Personally, I'm glad these viewpoints aren't the ones (or not the only/major ones) being considered when making these games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad : I wouldn't continue arguing with Z'zgashi at this point. Competitive Mario Kart players pretty much know what works, and what doesn't.
If people didn't discuss things because they assumed others knew better, then innovation would not be a thing.

And it's one thing to have a knowledge on one game's competitive scene, and another to be studying actual game design, and pointing out objective design flaws. Long time players may be OK with these flaws because they have gotten used to them, but people shouldn't have to "get used to" or "adapt" to these sort of things.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who really tried to take Mario Kart seriously, but couldn't, due to it being so flawed as a competitive racing game (it's fine for Time Trials, though). Other racing games accommodate for high skill play much better, and I played those games at a really high level.

I'm only saying this because I like many aspects of Mario Kart, but I feel there are some fundamental problems that if ironed out, would make it a much more appealing competitive game to many, not just myself. And I really hope Nintendo considers patches for this one, in case we discover things that are wrong (and I already have noticed a few things worthy of patching, mainly regarding online play

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It seems pretty good, but has a few problems that need patching.
Eh, it's looks fine to me.
Honestly I'm not sure if I'll get it. As I don't have a Wii U on me ATM.
Though I have been considering picking up MK7 again. Not sure if I will though. :ohwell:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Eh, it's looks fine to me.
Honestly I'm not sure if I'll get it. As I don't have a Wii U on me ATM.
Though I have been considering picking up MK7 again. Not sure if I will though. :ohwell:
If you mean in terms of the netcode/latency, it's perfect.

If you mean in terms of features, it's pretty good overall, but it's missing some features. The biggest offender being that you cannot invite friends into lobbies. There is also no notification system, and the Wii U's built-in notification system is not reliable.

And while this one is minor, and doesn't effect me personally - it baffles me that voice chat is "Lobby only". I'm fine with it being available with Friends Only, but it should at least be available in races.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If you mean in terms of the netcode/latency, it's perfect.

If you mean in terms of features, it's pretty good overall, but it's missing some features. The biggest offender being that you cannot invite friends into lobbies. There is also no notification system, and the Wii U's built-in notification system is not reliable.

And while this one is minor, and doesn't effect me personally - it baffles me that voice chat is "Lobby only". I'm fine with it being available with Friends Only, but it should at least be available in races.
Huh.
Well, in any case, I'll look into it. Maybe I'll wait till the price marks down or somethin'.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Despite all of the criticism I've been laying on the game, I must stress that I am really looking forward to it (I'm also trying to make sure I get the Limited Edition). I think it's worth buying on release, especially since you get a free game.

And I don't think all of my fears will come true either, and I will play the game a lot.

And I just found out characters actually get wet after coming out of water - combine that with Rosalina and her biker outfit, and how could I NOT get excited for the game? :V

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do find it odd how Rosalina gets advertised with her biker outfit more times than with her typical dress. I was never really fond of her biker outfit, so I always used karts when playing as her.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They've been trying to put forward a very modern image for this game, something comparable to say, F1 Racing. Which is why Rosalina and Peach are advertised in their biker outfits.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They've been trying to put forward a very modern image for this game, something comparable to say, F1 Racing. Which is why Rosalina and Peach are advertised in their biker outfits.
Ironically, if you've seen the sprites from the website, Peach and Daisy are wearing their dresses, while Rosalina is wearing her biker outfit.

But I guess that that was done as a way to categorize certain racers; Biddybuggy for the babies; Landship for the Koopalings; Standard ATV for the large body frame racers; Standard Bike for the metal racers; Standard Kart for everyone else.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm just love listening to the music they made.

The intro really great.

Edit---

I want to mention this in case you don't know yet, but the recovery from falling off course has changed. Note that your items will still be kept no matter how many times you've fell.

http://youtu.be/fUcFm1NIb78?t=30s

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I AM SO HYPED FOR THIS FREAKING GAME IT NEEDS TO COME OUT NOW. :F

What are everyone's favorite tracks based on what you've seen so far?
From what I've played: Cloudtop Cruise

From what I've seen (very little, trying to leave at least some surprise value): Mount Wario

From obligatory nostalgia/fanboyism: Donut Plains 3

DP3 was always the original "that one course" for me. Hated/sucked on it, trained vigorously to conquer it, wound up loving/remembering it most.

LF2K

Floor Diver
My sister and I were discussing the retro tracks the other day. She thought "Donut Plains" sounded goofy.

I just want them to revisit Vanilla Lake one day. But I shouldn't complain, Toad's Turnpike came back this time.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
By looks so far my favorites would have to be:

Nitro - Twisted Mansion, Shy Guy Falls, Dolphin Shoals, Electrodrome, and especially Mount Wario
Retro - Moo Moo Meadows, Wario Stadium, Music Park, Tick Tock Clock, and my favorite MK7 track... Piranha Plant Slide

I had a really hard time coming up with a top 5 for each. I'm not disappointed by a single track, which is a first.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I've been trying to avoid spoiling the track layouts as best I can. I think Cloudtop Cruise will be one of my favourites though, since I love the Galaxy games.

I've been trying to avoid spoiling the music too, but I love the Moo Moo Meadows arrangement to death, and I love the main theme too (DAT BASS!).

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I hate not being able to respond to this thread due to being at work all day, but I'm gonna throw in a bunch of responses now and make this a fairly large post.

Coins are supposed to stop you from constantly getting defensive items. Of course, in Mario Kart Wii, Fake Items are useless for defense themselves.
I believe that is a problem, though. It's like if Smash Bros stripped you of the ability to shield when you are in the lead. Or if the lead player in Smash 4 had a chance of tripping, yet other players didn't. That wouldn't be balance, that's outright placing a handicap on other players.

The defensive options in MK aren't great as is, so the least they could do is not throw in what is basically a dud item. I feel like they nailed the balance in MK8 in general, but kinda dropped the ball for first place players.
In my opinion, this is not a problem at all and is exactly how Mario Kart is supposed to work. Being in first place, you are supposed to either be very defensive, or strategically lay traps to mess up players behind you to give yourself a larger breakaway. I am talking about holding onto your defensive item(s) so that you cannot be hit from behind with a red shell, or laying fibs or backspamming shells tightly around corners otherwise known as traps. If you lay a trap, thus removing at least one of your held items, you are making yourself much more vulnerable, and you can end up getting punished for it. So you need to either have a decent breakaway to begin with, or have a very high sense of confidence that another player will hit your item. If you backspam a player who is directly behind you and miss, then by all means you deserve to get punished for not playing smart. If you backspam one of your protective items such as a shell or banana, miss the player behind you, and then end up only having a fib which can't protect you, then that's just poor luck not in your favor and is simply the nature of Mario Kart. You can relate the coin item in MK8 to MKW's fib, neither item can protect you from shells, and both are available in first place. If the player behind you has triple red shells and destroys your protective item and you spam the item button at the next item set hoping for another item to block their reds and you pull a coin, then it's again, simple bad luck. It's all just a part of the game is what I am trying to say.

one of the problems with MK is that the items are inherently unbalanced, the Spiny Shell being the biggest offender. It's an item that is a guaranteed hit on the lead player. The Super Horn in MK8 will help, but because it's something that will not pop up so often, it's not a perfect solution.
I can't agree with this, the blue shell has several, several different means of being avoided. The first option is of course by using a mushroom at the appropriate time, boosting the player out of the explosion. Another method, although not as common, is to dodge it while being inside of a cannon, though this only applies to MKW, as MK7's cannon's work much differently and don't give the player invincibility. The last way, which is particularly used in the competitive community, is to activate a shock at the exact moment that a blue comes in contact with the player in first. Whenever I would play in MKW wars, this was a common way to ensure that my teammate in first didn't get screwed over for getting blued as the shock would cut down the time penalty for getting blued by a very considerable amount. It would also ensure that they would not get red shelled immediately after their blue as the shock would take the item away from the opposing team's player behind them. If anything, I would agree with @ Z'zgashi Z'zgashi in that the shock is by far the most detrimental item as it can either make you or break you by a large margin. Much larger potential for carnage whilst being compared to the blue shell.

Another feature that both of the aforementioned games had was that courses could have parts where you would get a specific item from item boxes. If MK8 had parts where you always got a Super Horn, this would be a sufficient way of balancing the game better. They could always be at some fork in the road, and would be on the slower route, meaning there is a "risk-reward" element to it.
This feature was actually implemented by some creators of custom tracks for MKW. There would be certain offset item boxes which would always give a star 100% of the time. It was placed more off the track and took more time to reach; but the player would receive a star none-the-less. While it is an idea that I have no opposition to, I must admit that Mario Kart's randomness in terms of items is actually what attracts me to the game. Whenever I played, I liked not knowing what I was going to get, and I liked adapting and strategizing how I played for the remainder of the race around whatever items I got.

This is basically moot though, since they've removed the ability to stock a second item in MK8. Managing lower place items becomes nearly impossible. The race is basically half decided at the beginning of the race if you have to rely on lower place items.
This

Also, the current methods for evading Spiny Shells and the like are FAR too situational, and are actually glitches. That's bad game deisgn. It's much simpler to just put in a defense mechanic that any racer can use at least moderately.
Using a mushroom at the appropriate time is not a glitch. It is simply dodging by proper execution.

You're forgetting that multiple players could easily be tailing the lead player, or that one player could have three shells, bananas, or mushrooms at once. So no, losing the ability to stock an extra item greatly throws the balance off without a proper replacement as a defense mechanic.
That's simply how Mario Kart works, lol. People in first will get screwed pretty often. First place can be both the best and worst place to be during a race. Like I said, you can play very defensively and be okay; but other times there's just nothing you can do.

And you're not supposed to fall behind to get better items as a "risk/reward" mechanic, the powerful items are meant as a comeback mechanic for those lagging behind. I'm saying there should be a proper defense for people in the lead position. Lagging behind to get better power-ups is contrary to Racing 101 in any racing game. The game should be designed so that your goal is getting into first place with your own skills (and a bit of help from well used items), and holding that position. That's why stuff like getting coins that don't do anything for you is a bad thing, or having a randomised defense item. Things like this are contrary to how a racing game is supposed to work, and it's flat out bad design. I don't care if it's tradition or anything, because bad design should never become a tradition.
No, okay. No. Lol.
No No No No No No No

NO

See because, strategy and mind games play a very large role in Mario Kart; and you also have to factor in other things like which track you are playing on to determine the appropriate playstyle as well. Starting off on what I mean by track selection, in my opinion there are three different classifications for styles of tracks. You have your front running tracks in which you go all out and try to remain in as high of a position as possible for the entire race. Strictly from a MKW perspective, tracks such as Moonview Highway, Toad's Factory, and Rainbow Road fall into this category. There are way too many on-course mobile obstacles and way too many turns and corners which block items from hitting high placed players. It is extremely easy to just take a tight turn on Rainbow Road and have a chasing Red Shell fall off the track behind you. Next, you have your sandbagging tracks, where you drop back lower in placements to get a good item such as a Star, and then go all out typically at the end of the final lap. Tracks such as Shy Guy Beach, Mario Raceway, and Luigi Circuit fit this category. Wide open tracks with long stretches and/or shortcuts before the finish line give players in last pure bliss when they acquire a Golden Mushroom. It is very easy to just shoot from last to first on these tracks, and they are typically given the "Luck Track" title, because honestly, that's all they are. Finally, you have your standard versatile tracks, where both frontrunning and sandbagging are viable options, and neither option really outweighs the other because everything is situational on these courses. It's hard to fit specific tracks into this category, but if I had to pick three, Delfino Square, Mushroom Gorge, and Dry Dry Ruins come to mind. All of these tracks you can front run and place well, and all of these tracks items can definitely be your very best friend. Getting a Golden Mushroom on Delfino Square and taking double, or taking the ultra on Dry Dry Ruins will boost you up in the placements. Just like getting the Bullet Bill and using it over the mushrooms on Mushroom Gorge will sky rocket you up in placements as well, especially if you dodge the Shock.

Basically, this is Mario Kart. Where we shoot bananas and turtle shells at people. Not Forza where you just drive fast to win :p

There should be more reliable defensive options in place for skilled players who are in the lead, to counter the powerful offense that could put you back five positions. Not only would this reward the skill of leading players, but it would also reward the skill of lagging players, for being cunning enough to get around defenses, and use items wisely, rather than them being "press button to automatically jump up 5 positions". Right now, getting around the defenses of a leading player is way too easy.
Generally, skilled players know how to correctly use items to their utmost advantage. Comparing a player who is competitively adept to the game to a player who is casual and only plays for fun, the competitive player will almost always come out on first, Blue Shells, Shocks, or not. A competitive player knows how to correctly execute proper shortcuts ranging from easy to advanced, and knows how to adapt to certain sticky situations and evade them, whereas an inexperienced player would fail. I remember typing up a huge paragraph several months back where I stated that a competitive player would beat a casual player 49/50 times, and I still stand by that number. Item luck really isn't as detrimental as people make it out to be, especially when the player knows exactly what they are doing compared to someone who doesn't.

While first place players generally don't get the best defenses at times, they should still know how to use the items they are given to receive the best outcome possible. Sometimes, **** happens though, which is again simply the nature of Mario Kart. Everyone who has ever played this game should know the goofy nature of items and be prepared for it to happen on occasion.

And it's one thing to have a knowledge on one game's competitive scene, and another to be studying actual game design, and pointing out objective design flaws. Long time players may be OK with these flaws because they have gotten used to them, but people shouldn't have to "get used to" or "adapt" to these sort of things.
If they want to play this game, then yes they should. This is how Mario Kart is, and pretty much how it always has been.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who really tried to take Mario Kart seriously, but couldn't, due to it being so flawed as a competitive racing game (it's fine for Time Trials, though). Other racing games accommodate for high skill play much better, and I played those games at a really high level.
I played Mario Kart Wii at a very competitive level and played in probably over 400 clan wars before the servers shut down. For being so flawed, it certainly still faired very well in terms of competitive racing, lol. :p

I'm only saying this because I like many aspects of Mario Kart, but I feel there are some fundamental problems that if ironed out, would make it a much more appealing competitive game to many, not just myself. And I really hope Nintendo considers patches for this one, in case we discover things that are wrong (and I already have noticed a few things worthy of patching, mainly regarding online play
I honestly think Mario Kart Wii was fine, and I also think Mario Kart 7 was fine, both on a casual and competitive level. I think it mainly boils down to how strict you wanna be about flaws, and which ones you choose to not overlook. I could ***** and complain about dozens of things that annoyed me in Mario Kart Wii; but I choose not to because the game was ridiculously fun to me. Anything that annoyed me, I ended up being able to overlook, and so did thousands of other people in the competitive racing community. So far, Mario Kart 8 is looking super sexy to me and I'm excited to play it.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

I initially loved Shy Guy Falls, but when I saw Mount Wario oh my godddddddddd lol
I'm also super excited that Grumble Volcano has returned :D

LF2K

Floor Diver
For the new courses, I'm most excited for Toad Harbor and the Electrodome. Hell, most of the new courses look like a blast.

As for the retro tracks, Toad's Turnpike, Yoshi Valley, and Donut Plains are what I'm looking forward to most. The only retro track I don't like is 3DS DK Jungle; they could have picked something better. Rock Rock Mountain or Neo Bowser City were way cooler. :p

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I gotta say, Cloudtop Cruise is really fun, and I enjoyed Electrodome and Sunshine Airport as well. I also think that Mount Wario is going to be awesome, along with Dolphin Shoals and Shy Guy Falls. Retro, obviously, all the 64 tracks, Donut Plains, Wario Colleseum Dry Dry Desert from double Dash (Looks like a great improvement) and Piranha Plant Slide. The only tracks I find to be disappointing is the new Rainbow Road, Music Park and Moo Moo Meadows

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I can't wait for this game to hit the shelves. Getting a Wii U + MK8 bundle at launch, I'd need to buy the console eventually for Smash anyway. Been a huge MK fan since the good old 64 days, and the series is looking better than ever (although I didn't really like the gliders in MK7). Cloudtop Cruise, Mount Wario and Retro Rainbow Road will definitely be the stars of the show for me.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm more excited about the release of Mario Kart 8 now than I was before I played the demo at GameStop! The game looks absolutely positively drop-dead gorgeous!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Speaking of release day, we should start getting ready for our online shenanigans soon. Because racing together and trash talking as a community is always a fun thing. :p

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Speaking of release day, we should start getting ready for our online shenanigans soon. Because racing together and trash talking as a community is always a fun thing. :p
Oh, right, I should totally get a Wii U-compatible headset! There goes all of my money.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Spoiler tagging the criticism section because it's long.

@ Gatlin Gatlin : Your entire post is the epitome of being blindly apologetic.

In my opinion, this is not a problem at all and is exactly how Mario Kart is supposed to work. Being in first place, you are supposed to either be very defensive, or strategically lay traps to mess up players behind you to give yourself a larger breakaway. I am talking about holding onto your defensive item(s) so that you cannot be hit from behind with a red shell, or laying fibs or backspamming shells tightly around corners otherwise known as traps. If you lay a trap, thus removing at least one of your held items, you are making yourself much more vulnerable, and you can end up getting punished for it. So you need to either have a decent breakaway to begin with, or have a very high sense of confidence that another player will hit your item. If you backspam a player who is directly behind you and miss, then by all means you deserve to get punished for not playing smart. If you backspam one of your protective items such as a shell or banana, miss the player behind you, and then end up only having a fib which can't protect you, then that's just poor luck not in your favor and is simply the nature of Mario Kart. You can relate the coin item in MK8 to MKW's fib, neither item can protect you from shells, and both are available in first place. If the player behind you has triple red shells and destroys your protective item and you spam the item button at the next item set hoping for another item to block their reds and you pull a coin, then it's again, simple bad luck. It's all just a part of the game is what I am trying to say.
This entire part is just assuming "people complaining about Mario Kart are playing badly", but I assure you that's not my case. I play smart, but my problem is, playing smart is not really properly accommodated in Mario Kart. My complaints are very comparable to how people complain about tripping in Brawl, or how competitive Smash players play with items off - an overdose of random luck factors in any competitive game is bad design. Objectively. This is not an opinion. It's Game Design 101.

I can't agree with this, the blue shell has several, several different means of being avoided. The first option is of course by using a mushroom at the appropriate time, boosting the player out of the explosion. Another method, although not as common, is to dodge it while being inside of a cannon, though this only applies to MKW, as MK7's cannon's work much differently and don't give the player invincibility. The last way, which is particularly used in the competitive community, is to activate a shock at the exact moment that a blue comes in contact with the player in first. Whenever I would play in MKW wars, this was a common way to ensure that my teammate in first didn't get screwed over for getting blued as the shock would cut down the time penalty for getting blued by a very considerable amount. It would also ensure that they would not get red shelled immediately after their blue as the shock would take the item away from the opposing team's player behind them. If anything, I would agree with @@Z'zgashi in that the shock is by far the most detrimental item as it can either make you or break you by a large margin. Much larger potential for carnage whilst being compared to the blue shell.
And as I said, each and every one of them are situational. You can't attempt them every time. Most of the time, you will be a sitting duck.

And the mushroom method is an exploit, it's not intended to be there. You cannot get mushrooms in first place, yet the Blue Shells target first place players. If the mushroom exploit is intentional, then it's poorly implemented.

I must admit that Mario Kart's randomness in terms of items is actually what attracts me to the game.
I wholeheartedly agree - when I'm playing casually. But when I'm playing seriously or trying to get through single player, where I am trying to unlock stuff and am getting bombarded with what can only be described as the game rigging things against me, we have a problem. No amount of apologetic defense will justify that. At the very least, Mario Kart could do with something similar to "For Fun" and "For Glory" from Smash 4.

That's simply how Mario Kart works, lol. People in first will get screwed pretty often. First place can be both the best and worst place to be during a race. Like I said, you can play very defensively and be okay; but other times there's just nothing you can do.
"Mario Kart having objective design flaws is OK" is all I am reading here.

See because, strategy and mind games play a very large role in Mario Kart; and you also have to factor in other things like which track you are playing on to determine the appropriate playstyle as well. Starting off on what I mean by track selection, in my opinion there are three different classifications for styles of tracks. You have your front running tracks in which you go all out and try to remain in as high of a position as possible for the entire race. Strictly from a MKW perspective, tracks such as Moonview Highway, Toad's Factory, and Rainbow Road fall into this category. There are way too many on-course mobile obstacles and way too many turns and corners which block items from hitting high placed players. It is extremely easy to just take a tight turn on Rainbow Road and have a chasing Red Shell fall off the track behind you. Next, you have your sandbagging tracks, where you drop back lower in placements to get a good item such as a Star, and then go all out typically at the end of the final lap. Tracks such as Shy Guy Beach, Mario Raceway, and Luigi Circuit fit this category. Wide open tracks with long stretches and/or shortcuts before the finish line give players in last pure bliss when they acquire a Golden Mushroom. It is very easy to just shoot from last to first on these tracks, and they are typically given the "Luck Track" title, because honestly, that's all they are. Finally, you have your standard versatile tracks, where both frontrunning and sandbagging are viable options, and neither option really outweighs the other because everything is situational on these courses. It's hard to fit specific tracks into this category, but if I had to pick three, Delfino Square, Mushroom Gorge, and Dry Dry Ruins come to mind. All of these tracks you can front run and place well, and all of these tracks items can definitely be your very best friend. Getting a Golden Mushroom on Delfino Square and taking double, or taking the ultra on Dry Dry Ruins will boost you up in the placements. Just like getting the Bullet Bill and using it over the mushrooms on Mushroom Gorge will sky rocket you up in placements as well, especially if you dodge the Shock.

Basically, this is Mario Kart. Where we shoot bananas and turtle shells at people. Not Forza where you just drive fast to win :p
The concept of tracks requiring different strategies is not something I have a problem with and they even acknowledged it in the MK8 Direct with the Kart VS Bike comparison.

I do have a problem for with your final statement there, though. "Because Mario Kart" is not a good enough rebuttal for anything I'm putting forward. I never even said Mario Kart should be more like Forza (I don't play Forza or any realistic racing sims), I simply said that it should take inspiration from other kart racers that handle a competitive environment a lot better. I'm not saying it has to become exactly like them, it simply needs to take a few notes. MK8 is so close, yet so far, from being on the level of other racers.

If they want to play this game, then yes they should. This is how Mario Kart is, and pretty much how it always has been.
So people are not allowed to criticise Mario Kart? Sorry, but if a game has problems, they should be criticised by consumers, and addressed by developers. People shouldn't just say "it's Mario Kart, so it's fine, that's how it always is". Mario Kart is not a sacred franchise that we can't criticise, and it's never been considered the best competitive racing game for a lot of reasons. It just has a lot of anti-competitive BS in it, that can easily be fine tuned. Plus, I'm not saying they should remove the more chaotic, party appropriate style gameplay, they should just have more options for those who want a more competitive style of race. Even being able to just turn off rubber band A.I (yes, other Kart racers have this as an OPTION) would be a god send.

I played Mario Kart Wii at a very competitive level and played in probably over 400 clan wars before the servers shut down. For being so flawed, it certainly still faired very well in terms of competitive racing, lol. :p
Just because some people are willing to ignore the flaws of the game and call it a great competitive game, doesn't mean we all should. As I said, other games just handle competitive play. I even specifically mentioned Mario Kart Arcade GP, which is by far the best Mario Kart game, and it stands up to other kart racers, because it actively aimed to be more suitable for serious competition. Mario Kart 8 is getting closer to Arcade GP levels of greatness. It just needs a few tweaks to match it in terms of quality, while being it's own beast entirely.

I could ***** and complain about dozens of things that annoyed me in Mario Kart Wii; but I choose not to because the game was ridiculously fun to me.
I'm not *****ing and whining, I'm simply making constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is healthy. And it's something people need to lay on Nintendo more often, quite frankly. If things are making the game frustrating for many players, they should be tweaked and perfected.

I'm not telling them to change the game entirely, I only ask that they take inspiration from other games to improve the overall experience, and to have options so individual players can fine-tune the experience for themselves.

Plus, you tell me that we shouldn't take Mario Kart seriously (which is a pretty anti-competitive attitude, by the way, yet you claim to play competitively). But have you seen the promotional material for MK8? It's clear they want us to take it at least semi-seriously, and like it's less of a goofy party game than past entries:

And so on and so forth. They are trying to make it look like a legit racing experience, and it should live up to it. It's doing a good job, but it has some problems. I only want the best for the game.

Anyway, I want to start setting up for online tournaments and stuff too, so again, I'm willing to get to know people and play with them. I can also record our matches with my Elgato, and use Skype.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Mario Kart and other racing games cannot really be compared. I've got a friend who was top 25 consistently on almost every track in GT5 and has won multiple tourneys. The moment he picks up Mario Kart? He's terrible... Absolutely abysmal actually, even after recognising the tracks. He can drive fine without the items in the picture, but the moment they come in, everything goes out the window. The mental games, trickery and pacing (knowing when it might be good to back off or dash ahead) are unusual mechanics that make Mario Kart a category of its own. Heck, even the idea of staying away from other players doesn't hold water in MK, since bigger drivers can use it to their advantage / smaller ones want to grab a draft get out of the pack as soon as they can; this is further blown away with Anti-Gravity sections promoting crashing into each other... Which reminds me, I wonder if clan members will use this to boost each other perhaps.

It was mentioned already, but the different tracks also dictate how you should race. Those evil sandbagging tracks like Luigi Circuit and the likes, are not tracks you want to go all-out on, since you will never get enough of a lead vs good players on it to matter when items come for you and throw you in 7th or worse. The new Moo Moo Meadows will be a prime example of a track like this. While tracks like Rainbow Road, Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals and possibly Toad's Turnpike are places where you may want to grab an advantage early and run like a bat out of hell since they have corners and obstacles to dodge shells with, and are quite long.

In terms of the game, I'm excited for it. I'm eager to live in a world where karts aren't mediocre for the next 6+ years. The "Coin in 1st Place" issue is a bit frightening, but it probably won't be as bad as we think, as it means we're going to have to use what defence we do get VERY wisely (not just throwing it away at the next box-stop like in MKW). The fact that players in 2nd and 3rd will only have one item just like you will also force decision-making on their end, too.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Yeah, countless possibilities.

Karting and racing games are entirely different beasts, so they can't really be compared. Games of the go-karting subgenre do share quite a few similarities, however -- that makes games such as Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8 easy to compare, and players who excel at one are usually good at the other as well. Now, I consider myself good at karting games, but I couldn't win a race in Gran Turismo if my life depended on it. The hop from Sonic to Mario, on the other hand, is an easy one.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I initially loved Shy Guy Falls, but when I saw Mount Wario oh my godddddddddd lol
I agree 100%. In MK7 I usually hated one track courses but Mount Wario is really something else.

The moment I realized that you start out by driving out of a freaking helicopter was when I knew it was going to be great... Then I kept watching, and watching, and watching. By the time the skiing section came up I was fangasming so hard (I LOVE skiing IRL).

Needless to say it has potential to be my favorite track of all time.

Top Bottom