• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FLUDD would have been better as an item in my opinion, anyway.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
FLUDD would have been better as an item in my opinion, anyway.

Imagine Bowser using FLUDD. FLUDD would have to alter size depending on the character that is using it. That wouldn't make any sense.

So no, it wouldn't be better as an item.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
While playing with mario, there were two things I noticed that should be changed

1)Overall killing power-Mario's big problem is he has no way to really knock characters out or to really knock them away. KOing is going to be done with just his forward smash and no other move will reliably kill someone until 150+. Most characters have better strength than that. Hes got a good mix of moves and most of them are fast, just not strong attacks. Take Ryu. He has a good mix of fast attacks and haymakers. It would help mario is his other two Smash moves picked up the slack.

2)FLUDD-It's ranges from situational at best to useless at worse. Mario, out of any of the characters, needs a diverse set of moves. FLUDD doesn't cut. Giving him something move useful would just make him a better character. Bringing back the tornado could help (esspecially since Luigi still had if). If they MUST keep it his down air, give him something else.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Playing Mario more, I actually take back somewhat of what i said inthe first idea. he could still be a bit stronger, but he's still a good character. All his moves scale and become more efficient the more damage someone has. His smash moves can kill Lucario at 120, no problem. Some stronger smashes may still help, but it's not a big issue.

His FLUDD, I can't express enough. I'd say this is more a reason he's weak, if I were to give one. His character is designed to be versatile, and I think he does it well, but FLUDD really ruins it. He needs a down special that will actually add to his skill set. The cape is great because it gives him what many other characters lack: a reflector. It gives him more tools, which is what should be done. The FLUDD, while a neat idea, doesn't do that because it has no specific use. Pushing people doesn't do much. There isn't much reason to push someone away and his attacks are more effective at taking someone down while their off the stage. He really just needs a move that will give him some new skills. Situational moves don't help him.

Also, his back throw could be improved. At least have it send them at a 45-50 degree angle rather than a 60-70.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
Playing Mario more, I actually take back somewhat of what i said inthe first idea. he could still be a bit stronger, but he's still a good character. All his moves scale and become more efficient the more damage someone has. His smash moves can kill Lucario at 120, no problem. Some stronger smashes may still help, but it's not a big issue.

His FLUDD, I can't express enough. I'd say this is more a reason he's weak, if I were to give one. His character is designed to be versatile, and I think he does it well, but FLUDD really ruins it. He needs a down special that will actually add to his skill set. The cape is great because it gives him what many other characters lack: a reflector. It gives him more tools, which is what should be done. The FLUDD, while a neat idea, doesn't do that because it has no specific use. Pushing people doesn't do much. There isn't much reason to push someone away and his attacks are more effective at taking someone down while their off the stage. He really just needs a move that will give him some new skills. Situational moves don't help him.

Also, his back throw could be improved. At least have it send them at a 45-50 degree angle rather than a 60-70.
those are some really good points

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Actually, the big problem with Brawl FLUDD is that those dumb water blobs had a trajectory that sends you in an UPWARDS angle away from the stage. If it at least sent you horizontally/in a downwards angle/water acted as a wall, then we'd be getting somewhere.

Oh well...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Actually, the big problem with Brawl FLUDD is that those dumb water blobs had a trajectory that sends you in an UPWARDS angle away from the stage. If it at least sent you horizontally/in a downwards angle/water acted as a wall, then we'd be getting somewhere.

Oh well...
I don't think would help much since the point is flawed. It function is the problem. Mario is a character who needs versatile moves, not situational ones.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

All I want to say is Mario needs a hammer attack. As a smash, as a B move...I don't care, he needs it SOMEWHERE in his movest. It's become much too iconic to him.

That is all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

All I want to say is Mario needs a hammer attack. As a smash, as a B move...I don't care, he needs it SOMEWHERE in his movest. It's become much too iconic to him.

That is all.

Paper Mario is known to use hammers a lot more than the normal Mario though. Basically, any hammer-related moves would likely fit Paper Mario better.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie
Paper Mario is known to use hammers a lot more than the normal Mario though. Basically, any hammer-related moves would likely fit Paper Mario better.
If we get Paper Mario, sure. But if we don't, I think Mario needs it. It's definitely more iconic than the Super Cape or FLUDD.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Fludd as an item would be no big deal at all. Just strap it on the bigger characters shoulders or anywhere higher on the body so fludd points over the shoulders.

I'd love a Hammer Down Smash for Mario. Gliding ability with the cape and a dive bomb with down special like Super Mario World.

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Paper Mario is extremely improbable anyway, so I don't think that's a problem.

A hammer attack could work as it would give him a powerful attack. Something more for his arsenal. That's really what he needs. Something to give him more tools to work with.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
A hammer attack could work as it would give him a powerful attack. Something more for his arsenal. That's really what he needs. Something to give him more tools to work with.[/QUOTE]

i agree it could be mixed in with some fairly decent combos and hopefully if something like a hammer or some sort would give mario more matchup advantages in the next game

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
If they can just switch Mario's uppercut recovery into FLUDD's hover nozzle and switch his down B to Tornado spin then he'll be a great character

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Down B doesn't need to be the Mario Tornado. It actually works really well as a down air. It's a very good move.

Given, if they don't bring back the Mario Tornado as his Down B, it needs to be something else.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong, the entire Mario & Luigi series, and Super Mario RPG. It was his first tool and it should really stick with him. Also, with Paper Mario, they already got enough Mario characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of being mainstream, however, Mario really hasn't used hammers very much. A lot of his hammer usage occurs outside of the Super Mario series.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In terms of being mainstream, however, Mario really hasn't used hammers very much. A lot of his hammer usage occurs outside of the Super Mario series.
Mario using Hammers in the RPGs is derived from him using Hammers in the Donkey Kong. It wouldn't be out of place.

Given, I'm sure Sakurai will come up with a move interesting move.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The problem with giving Mario a hammer is that we already have the hammer from Donkey Kong arcade as an item. Wouldn't Mario's hammer move be broken considering how powerful the item is?

:phone:

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Not really it could easily be nerfed down to have a Max of atleast 30% damage. What Mario needs is a designated k.o move which he really doesn't have I mean his side- b is okay but takes to long unless you shutter-step. That hammer could be the k.o move we need to get ahead

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario using Hammers in the RPGs is derived from him using Hammers in the Donkey Kong. It wouldn't be out of place.

Given, I'm sure Sakurai will come up with a move interesting move.
This is pretty much where I've stated that Paper Mario would get more use out of the hammer, as it is his signature weapon in the Paper Mario series.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is pretty much where I've stated that Paper Mario would get more use out of the hammer, as it is his signature weapon in the Paper Mario series.
Except Paper Mario wont happen any time soon anyway. The point is, it's not a problem for Mario to have one. Paper Mario and the other RPGs take from the main games, so if it works for Paper Mario, it works for Mario.

Again, he'll probably have another move, but I'm saying it wouldn't be out of place.

D

Deleted member

It's also Mario's and Luigi's signature weapon in the M&L RPGs.

RPG Mario & Luigi for Smash 4.
They would be way more unique than their non-paired "mainstream" counterparts.

They even have a different look to them.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
mario should have mario tornado again and use rocket nozzle as his up special.other than that mario doesn't really need to change at all. i think baby mario and luigi have a better chance than mario and luigi together because there already characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
F.L.U.D.D., Mario's water gun from Super Mario Sunshine. I want to see this improved. Here's my ideas. When Mario fully charges F.L.U.D.D., he have three options as to what to do with all that water.

Option #1 - he can input Down+B again to shoot water like in Brawl

Option #2 - he can hover with the water shooting downward, somewhat similar to Peach's ability to float, instead of the standard double jump

Option #3 - he can input Up+B to skyrocket with the water-powered jetpack while jump-punching instead of his normal Super Jump Punch

After Mario runs out of water from doing any of the above, he has to input Down+B again to recharge his water gun.

Other than that, just give him all of Dr. Mario's stats and hitboxes and whatever else that made Dr. Mario competitively superior to Mario in Melee and just give his fireballs more speed and strength like Dr. Mario's pills.

firebro17

Smash Cadet
Mario in 64=top tier
Mario in Melee=Mid Tier and balanced
Mario in Brawl=Close bottom tier and terrible for a "balanced character"
Get rid of flood and give him more recovery options like the tornado spin in PM. Mario in PM is actually really good. He has no major flaws in PM. But we are talking about Smash 4 so make him medium speed, good ariels, and decent B attacks

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
Mario in 64=top tier
Mario in Melee=Mid Tier and balanced
Mario in Brawl=Close bottom tier and terrible for a "balanced character"
Get rid of flood and give him more recovery options like the tornado spin in PM. Mario in PM is actually really good. He has no major flaws in PM. But we are talking about Smash 4 so make him medium speed, good ariels, and decent B attacks
Pikachu is top tier and mario is practically in the middle of the tier list in N64 just like he is in melee

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah they need to work on that for mario for smash 4 hes just getting passed by nearly everyone on the tier list:c
Tier list aren't going to be relevant for balancing (see Link's nerfs).

Tier list are for competitive Smash and most people don't play competitive Smash. Changes are general. Mario is pretty good now but could be a lot better too. Power and a better down B, and he'd be a beast in the right hands.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
Tier list aren't going to be relevant for balancing (see Link's nerfs).

Tier list are for competitive Smash and most people don't play competitive Smash. Chances are general. Mario is pretty good now but could be a lot better too. Power and a better down B, and he'd be a beast in the right hands.
I meant what i said from a competitive side and definitely he needs to have more power and give him the old down-b from the previous smashes and he should be good to go for the most part

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Am I the only one who thinks Mario should keep F.L.U.D.D. ? It just needs to be buffed.

peeup

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks Mario should keep F.L.U.D.D. ? It just needs to be buffed.
Hell yeah I couldn't agree with this more. When I first saw it on the Dojo I kept thinking "oh sick, with this AND his cape, he's gonna be an edgeguarding machine." I think if they worked that niche harder into his character, it would be really cool.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
It's gotta be at least as strong as Squirtle's regular B. I mean right now it is borderline useless.

I don't think it'll be able to charge up his jumps or anything though. I think they'll try and keep Mario as simple as possible so he keeps his "good for beginners" status. Not that I ever see any beginners interested to play as him... :p

Top Bottom