• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

BSP

Smash Legend
Not that those are bad ideas, but they could accomplish similar feats by just adding in the rest of FLUDD's nozzles and giving us a method of changing between them.

Capeflip

Smash Cadet
cant believe nobody mentioned d-smash, killed megaman at 95% at the middle of the stage so it got an obvious power buff. looks like mario has another ko move assuming his others weren't nerfed. now all he needs is an aerial option

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
cant believe nobody mentioned d-smash, killed megaman at 95% at the middle of the stage so it got an obvious power buff. looks like mario has another ko move assuming his others weren't nerfed. now all he needs is an aerial option
Yeah, I noticed this as well. But I somehow doubt his aerial options will be improved much. His kick isn't going to suddenly gain Luigi power [unfortunately] unless they really want it to.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i wouldn't key in too much on damages or knockback those values are going to be all over the place during development

core physics changes and move overhauls are FAR less likely this far into development.

BSP

Smash Legend

I made a thread about that in the general discussion section on the day of the trailers. However, Gimpyf1sh is right, and we shouldn't pay much attention to it. Still, it makes me wonder how they're going to handle stale moves this time.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Just give his Uair combo abilities again and I will be content.

Brawl Mario is so bad when it comes to aerial attacks...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
his up air would have comboed great in brawl if brawl's overall engine had any ability to do such a thing, the move wasn't the problem - the game surrounding it was.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you clearly see his forward air in one of the videos being the same

that being said, even if that was his "new" forward air it would really be his old forward air because that's what he had in mario 64

but it doesn't really matter anyway as we've seen his melee/brawl fair in video form so i digress

BSP

Smash Legend
You can't expect much range from a ****** with short limbs.
There's nothing stopping them from making him bigger. Olimar is really the size of a US quarter, but he got resized. They could even put fiery auras on some of his moves to increase their range.

Edit: or just make his hitboxes more disjointed. See Kirby or Snake. Snake's bair in brawl is him getting in a sleeping bag of hitbox lol.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
There's nothing stopping them from making him bigger. Olimar is really the size of a US quarter, but he got resized. They could even put fiery auras on some of his moves to increase their range.

Edit: or just make his hitboxes more disjointed. See Kirby or Snake. Snake's bair in brawl is him getting in a sleeping bag of hitbox lol.

Mario doesn't need bigger range. Short range is a legit weakness for him, and it doesn't need to be changed. What does need to be changed is his mechanics. Mario in Brawl was just way too slow. He couldn't take advantage of aerial momentum since it doesn't exist, and the lack of hitstun made it impossible for him to get in attack strings. Due to this, Mario held very, very little options against his opponents and the options he does have is not good enough.

What Mario really needs is a speed buff, approaching tools, and more KO options. If hitstun returns, so will Mario's combo game. If it's the same as Brawl, Mario'll need a projectile that isn't complete ****.

EDIT: It'd also be nice if everything Mario threw at you wasn't countered with Powershield too.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
F.L.U.D.D. is pretty much useless. If it were up to me, I'd replace it with the Star Spin.
That's because you don't use it.

To everyone else that keep saying "Mario's fludd sucks": No, it doesn't suck. you guys suck for still
having a learning disability on how to use the fludd. Don't make me go XeroXen up in this peace.

:pow:

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario doesn't need bigger range. Short range is a legit weakness for him, and it doesn't need to be changed. What does need to be changed is his mechanics. Mario in Brawl was just way too slow. He couldn't take advantage of aerial momentum since it doesn't exist, and the lack of hitstun made it impossible for him to get in attack strings. Due to this, Mario held very, very little options against his opponents and the options he does have is not good enough.

What Mario really needs is a speed buff, approaching tools, and more KO options. If hitstun returns, so will Mario's combo game. If it's the same as Brawl, Mario'll need a projectile that isn't complete ****.

EDIT: It'd also be nice if everything Mario threw at you wasn't countered with Powershield too.

What kind of slow do you mean? Most of his attacks were pretty fast, sans Fsmash and Fair. Movement wise? Average dash speed, air speed, etc. - I don't see them deviating from the middle of the road Mario's "supposed" to be at in each game.

If hitstun and momentum come back, that would help him a lot, but that's not enough. He had that in Melee and he only ended up mid tier. He needs more than just hitstun- either power or range imo.

I agree on the approach tools and KO options.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
He's pretty good in P:M without a lot of improvements over the Melee one... Though he has the best features of Dr.Mario... That's really all he needed: The more advantageous KB angles, hitboxes and hitstuns while retaining the full recovery options and comboability. Mario Tornado I think does nothing for the character there outside of a very weak recovery boost but he's nonetheless extremely solid and balanced.

Fair looked way faster now though! It wasn't like a Marth Fair but probably like Wolf's in speed and swing from the looks of it. Hopefully not less deadly than before- It was his better killmove.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Project:M Mario would actually be my benchmark for SSB4 Mario (and to note, his F-air is one of his best kill moves. It has the Doc Punch effect).

What kind of slow do you mean? Most of his attacks were pretty fast, sans Fsmash and Fair. Movement wise? Average dash speed, air speed, etc. - I don't see them deviating from the middle of the road Mario's "supposed" to be at in each game.
Movement. Mario is actually slow in Brawl. He can't take advantage of momentum (by that, I mean he can't run, then use his running momentum to leap forward and N-air) and that kills just about every approach option he has. It doesn't matter if this is the supposed median. The fact is he can't take advantage of it due to the mechanics Brawl has.

BSP

Smash Legend
Alright, I see what you mean. We'll have to hope that they change the base mechanics. Unless they tone down meteor canceling as well, Fair may as well be all Doc punch and no meteor.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not sure what was wrong with Mario in Brawl, but he certainly felt a little slower and weaker to use than in past installments. (Speed is probably because of Brawl's game speed itself though)

If the game is less floaty I think Mario could become similar to his Melee self again. The Jack of All Trades shouldn't be the best character in the game but he shouldn't play so awkwardly either. FLUDD needs a small boost (knockback and/or range) and to give the plumber more options to recover and attack. That move has a lot of unseen potential and could help greatly improve Mario's already lackluster range and recovery (so bizarre that the supposed balanced character of the series struggles to recover)

I also want his final smash to change. Maybe use Pit's Brawl final smash as a template: when he activates the final smash, mini Marios show up in his many costumes from all of the games (raccoon, jumpman, starman, flower Mario, frog, bee, statue, etc.) and each have their own gimmick to cause chaos. The real Mario would be able to fight alongside them. Not only would that be more effective than his current one but the move feels much more like Mario. That and it would reference all of his great games!

-First Post by Connery!-

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I personally would like to see more added to FLUDD, like the rocket mode so Mario can have more options concerning air recovery. Melee mechanics would also help Mario a lot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i hope they give mario new victory animations im getting pretty bored with the ones he's got

BSP

Smash Legend
Do you have any ideas for some new ones?

Speaking of victory poses, they took out his jumping one from 64 -> Melee. Mario got the srs business treatment so badly lol.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I would just love to see Mario be up to par with the rest of the cast. He is the Jack of all Trades, isn't he?? I would like to see his fair come out faster, and maybe with a bigger sweet spot. Judging by some pics I have seen, it looks like the buffed FLUDD seeing how the stream is way larger. Lastly, maybe his fireballs last a tad bit longer.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
His recovery really isn't that bad guys. :p

But on the terms of FLUDD, I'd really enjoy having different nozzles, but if they decide not to keep it it's whatever.
It's not that it's bad. It's just predictable as **** and easy to edge guard. It's sad that a group of Smashers who hacked brawl to make project m did a better job with Mario than the actual development team.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
It's not that it's bad. It's just predictable as **** and easy to edge guard. It's sad that a group of Smashers who hacked brawl to make project m did a better job with Mario than the actual development team.
Hell they did a better job with the whole cast lol I just played Balanced Brawl for the first time...and I don't wanna go back haha

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
That sounds reasonable enough. Anyway, I did mention the Star Spin replacing F.L.U.D.D., which could aid Mario in his recovery.

In other words...

Mid-air Jump + Cape + Star Spin + Super Jump Punch
Star spin is a good idea, but I would rather walk with F.L.U.U.D on my back.:mariomelee:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
I agree with the range. Mario was a smallish character, yeah, but when he attacks his body contorts to enlarge parts and hit people easier. the range nerf really hurt him overall. with FLUDD, the major problem was that it was just only doing the job of cape-it didn't add anything new to him. they should find a way to incorporate other forms like the the Hover and Turbo Nozzles to make it more useful.

one last thing I would like them to consider is bring back his Uppercut-walljump cancel. granted it was a glitch and VERY hard to do, but it did give a neat enhancement to Mario simlar to the Falcon Kick/Wizard foot resets.
i love your avator lol

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
That's because you don't use it.

To everyone else that keep saying "Mario's fludd sucks": No, it doesn't suck. you guys suck for still
having a learning disability on how to use the fludd. Don't make me go XeroXen up in this peace.

:pow:
Shields in Brawl are too strong in general. I hope shield stun is increased since shield pressure was nearly impossible

vato_break

Smash Master
Mario's average speed still allows him to manipulate brawls mechanics where you can move fast enough to do things, yeah you can't run at someone and nair approach reliably but, only few characters can do that anyway. I think mario's lack of kill power/kill setups was a problem as well as his very predictable recovery. Some of mario's move were a problem too; mario's fair being situation and unpractical, dtilt being a bad option, and fludd being another situational move. That's three less moves you likely will not be using. Which in turn, makes mario a lot more predictable and beatable. It's almost as if mario has a limited moveset. If mario had some sort of killsetup though, he would be a much better character in my opinion--higher fireball hitstun anyone?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well I hope that his Down Smash is as good as it was in that fight with Mega Man. Other than that, I'm looking forward to trying out Mario like I do every Smash game. He's pretty fun to use in fights. But I do hope he'll be more powerful this time.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hey why does Mario not have a stomping technique like Bowser, Dedede, Yoshi, etc..? It is his original attack and it his how he dispose most enemies and much more than jumping up into them (like his up special).

Top Bottom