• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario and his bag of tricks

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Alright, this thread may not be for everyone, but for those of you who love mario like i do and wish he was better, this thread is for you. Fortunatly for me the only people i can play around where i live are the God Kais. So needless to say i lose alot... Even so, this has given me the opportunity to play my mario again almost all the cast at a very competative level. I have read all the internet has to offer on mario, but still feel there is alot more to learn about him. Through playing i have discovered for myself many ways in which mario dominates based on his tactics against all the different players. So i would like to open up disscussion on any questions or ideas for mario against specific cast members. Whoever posts first will be the first topic.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
More Cape tricks!!

Like a Cape wavedash

Dash then cape at the same time you turn

I did it and it works!!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
King Beef is considered one of the best Peaches in the country, I'm pretty sure and hands down the best in the Midwest. They should have a Mario kai (XeroXen), but yeah, they don't. So how did this become a God Kai thread?

SKidd

Smash Master
I think Tornado is a pretty cool guy. eh maeks threds and doesnt afraid of anything.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
k so im back and back on topic. There isnt a god kai main lol. i was just sayin smash me and tyr play with him and all understand he should be god tier lol. Ya to the first post, cape dashing is the shi7. i throw it in alot simply for the reflecting and quick change of pace. Alot of times it makes em go right past you and you get a free back air. One of my favorites in on Battle field, cape dash from one platform to the next, then cape dash off that one for an off stage spike. Also from the top platform you can get really good spike setups. One more point, if you cape dash off the platforms while they recover its easy to throw in another cape and reflect them or fludd em. alot of people really underestimate marios trickery. The spike and cape in doubles is sick. Not to mention any names *Cough infern and ybm cough* but me and smash pulled some nasty team combos with mario/ mk against snake and kirby. Plus with a mk as a teammate you can get the easy uthrow kills. If you dont know what im refering too look up the vid by firemario. Basically if you uthrow with mk and after the enemy bounces off the ground, a mario cape gets an instant kill off the top of the map. Enough about the kais though, and back to the mario. They have their own thread lol.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
k so im back and back on topic. There isnt a god kai main lol. i was just sayin smash me and tyr play with him and all understand he should be god tier lol. Ya to the first post, cape dashing is the shi7. i throw it in alot simply for the reflecting and quick change of pace. Alot of times it makes em go right past you and you get a free back air. One of my favorites in on Battle field, cape dash from one platform to the next, then cape dash off that one for an off stage spike. Also from the top platform you can get really good spike setups. One more point, if you cape dash off the platforms while they recover its easy to throw in another cape and reflect them or fludd em. alot of people really underestimate marios trickery. The spike and cape in doubles is sick. Not to mention any names *Cough infern and ybm cough* but me and smash pulled some nasty team combos with mario/ mk against snake and kirby. Plus with a mk as a teammate you can get the easy uthrow kills. If you dont know what im refering too look up the vid by firemario. Basically if you uthrow with mk and after the enemy bounces off the ground, a mario cape gets an instant kill off the top of the map. Enough about the kais though, and back to the mario. They have their own thread lol.
Onaga, you should come to more tournaments (specifically OUGA's on the 8th). I want to play your Mario. I know 64's really good with him, but I haven't really seen Tyr play him a whole lot. I always end up doing dittos with 64 when I see him, the matches always go back and forth (though I'm better with him. ;)).

Also, just about every Mario main here knows the above shenanigans with Mario's cape and Fludd. Did you also know about FIHL (Fludd induced hit lag)? I know 64 and Tyr have been surprised by it before.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
ya i got tyr with it last week. The best part of the game was stalling charzards rock smash for a dacus kill lol. and i know you all know this stuff for sure. but for people like me who were new to mario i want him to get better. i still think he has alot of potential and can beat any character. If the metagame can improve i think it would be awesome. Plus mario is the most fun person i play. very fluid, cool tricks, broken cape, fludd, sweet looking spike( love how its like a moving falcon punch... but a spike), walljumps, decent recover, stage spikes, fireballs, good usmashes, fast jabs, good bair. Hes my fav for sure.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Mario isn't able to get better, only the players are able to with him. Mario doesn't really have a whole lot left to discover, so it's up to the players of him to understand their options and use them to their fullest. I know that I spend tons of time improving my mobility, spacing, and tech skill with Mario several times a week, on top of practicing playing the actual game competitively with my crewmates, and attending several tournaments per month. (Although sometimes my tournament attendance varies, for instance I won't be attending any more until MLG Columbus).

Also, playing Mario as if he has a "Bag of Tricks" as the title implies, will only get you so far. After performing dumb tricks on people a few times they figure out ways around it, making them... basically useless. The best way to incorporate these things is to use them sparingly when your opponent doesn't see it coming, and get early kills from them. Basically, what I'm saying is to play the character NOT as a giant gimmick, but rather as the character in a whole. He's much better that way anyway.

To add something else, I think it's useful for every Mario to know their various options out of different attacks, such as Jab or Dair. The more options you know, the better you become, and the more you can confuse your opponent. Stay unpredictable, blah blah blah blah. Use safe options, blah blah blah blah. /rant.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm agreeing with Xero here. In terms of tricksies, I think Mario's been fairly well discovered. I do think, however... that people will figure out new--- well, maybe not new ways, but more creative ways to go about using the abilities that Mario has. Like Xero, I've been working a lot on mobility and spacing out with him... though tech skill is something that I need to work on (and tech chasing when you have people on the ground).

The plus side is that people don't expect much out of Mario across the board and that's where a really good, creative Mario (or a few of them) can surprise a lot of people. The best thing I'd suggest is to work on your fundamentals and just go out and try new stuff. (In my opinion) Do not be afraid of using different characters to familiarize yourself not only with their strengths, but to also apply different thinking into your own Mario. I believe that the best thing about Mario (other than his multitude of solid options) is that he's a pretty solid representation of how much you grasp basic skills of the game. The better you are in general, the better your Mario is.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
ya i wasnt getting at him only for the tricks, i simply meant that he has alot of options to capitalize on. sorry if i was getting the wrong point accross.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
No it's fine, I understood what you meant I just didn't want anybody to think that Mario's tricks were anything major. Really more gimmicky than anything that might help once in a while.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Y did you bother posting envy. i didnt title it mario haters thread. or post if ur an idiot thread. Its for help not that crap.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
not really though. i use it all the time. when im on a platform and they are recovering or whatever. It makes you go alot faster and doesnt waste the jump. Throws off their timing and keeps you from getting shot. And from the ledge it gimps alot of recoveries if you time it and still lets you get back. The cape gives alot of advantages. its all timing though. on the platform running away and caping back on Battlefield plays some mind games. Cause the cape throws you back towards them pretty fast and you can spike.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
not really though. i use it all the time. when im on a platform and they are recovering or whatever. It makes you go alot faster and doesnt waste the jump. Throws off their timing and keeps you from getting shot. And from the ledge it gimps alot of recoveries if you time it and still lets you get back. The cape gives alot of advantages. its all timing though. on the platform running away and caping back on Battlefield plays some mind games. Cause the cape throws you back towards them pretty fast and you can spike.
That's cape gliding... not cape teleporting. Cape Teleporting is so situational that the chances of experiencing it firsthand without trying to get it to happen are less than 1/500, I've only done it three times in my one and a half years of competitive smash not counting my specialized frame-by-frame testing I did on the subject. It's not viable at all.

Also, Envy. You don't know what you're talking about.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Just because some people aren't very good with him doesn't exactly make him bad, I guess it depends on what you define a BAD character and what you define a DECENT character has.

Famous

Smash Champion
Yoshi is higher on the tier list...Mario sucks because were making him suck...We need to evolve the metagame once again...

Top Bottom