• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Calina

Smash Cadet
Alrighty, here's the post from my original thread. ^^

I think that Marina Lightyears from Mischief Makers(Yuke Yuke! Trouble Makers! in Japan) Why? Well, mostly because she's an underdog.(I've seen very few people who know about the game.) and plus I think that she would be a great addition to Smash plus this game needs more girls . I think the game was one of Treasure's best sellers in Japan but I'm not entirely sure about this fact.(If it's true mabye there's even a sliver of a chance she'll get in.)

Now, if you've ever played the game you know that all Marina can do is grab, throw and shake. That doesn't exactly give much of a moveset for her but it does mention two attacks in the game you can never use. Iron Fist and Knife Kick.(You do see one in a cutscene in the Japanese version though.)I'm not the greatest when it comes to movesets(Infact I'm pretty bad at it >>) and whatnot but I'll give it a shot but don't expect me to put precent damage up or even all of the moves.

The good: She's pretty fast and most of her attacks would have a good range.
The bad: Pretty lightweight

B moves
B: Grab- Grab the oppent and shake them repeatedly by pressing B ,causing them to drop an item if they have one.(Course you can't drop the hammer so that one doesn't count. )

Smash B: Jetpack dash-Quickly dashes a good ways across the screen with her jetpack.(Think Fox and Falcos Smash B)

Up B: Jetpack Boost- Pretty much like Fox/Falcos Up B's. Uses jetpack to get back up on the stage, can aim with the joystick.

A moves
A: Punch
A twice: Two punches
Smash left/right: Iron fist- Think Marios attack minus the fireball and her hands a fist instead of open.
Smash Down: Knife kick- Brings leg up and then hits the ground.(Like Ganos Up a but nowhere near as far up as he puts his leg. )
Smash Up: Uppercut- I think this is a bit self explanitory.
Neutral air- Two kicks a bit like kirbys aerial forward just minus a kick.
Forward air- Elbows the oppenent.
Backwards air- Same as above

Grabs
Z to grab
While holding- Press z to shake the opponent.
Forward throw- Throws the opponent forward quite some distance.
Backwards throw- Turns a bit to throw the opponent backwards (It's a bit hard to explain for me << You'd have to see her use it in the game... Ahaha. Sorry.)
Up throw- Tosses the oppnent upward.
Down throw- Throws the oppenent onto the ground.

Taunt (I had to put it in. :laugh: )
Spins around and says "Yahoo!"

Yes, I know. I don't have much for the poor ultra intergalactic cybot G when it comes to moves but like I said before I'm awful at these sorts of things. Ya'll can give her moves if you want to your hearts content.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Good job, but I think there should be a different move for her B neutral, since it's about the same as her grab (but then again, Yoshi has the same problem). Remember, in addition to the character's actual moves from the game of reference, SSB also has characters incorporate various elements from the game.

At any rate, I think a cool Brawl move for would be "Beastector" - where she summons the Beastector trio in their combined Voltron-esque guardian (the final boss) where it jumps into the background and torches the stage surface with it barrage of fire power. Throughout the duration of the attack, the members of Beastector say their respective catchphrases: "Through fire, justice is served!" -- Lunar "A hero in shining armour is called." -- Merco "To punish evil forces, I have been charged!" -- Tarus

At any rate, some food for thought...

Calina

Smash Cadet
Good job, but I think there should be a different move for her B neutral, since it's about the same as her grab
Yeah, I just can't really think anything up for neutral B as of right now. The first thing that comes into my head is "Grab" Blame the game. :laugh:

At any rate, I think a cool Brawl move for would be "Beastector" - where she summons the Beastector trio in their combined Voltron-esque guardian (the final boss) where it jumps into the background and torches the stage surface with it barrage of fire power. Throughout the duration of the attack, the members of Beastector say their respective catchphrases: "Through fire, justice is served!" -- Lunar "A hero in shining armour is called." -- Merco "To punish evil forces, I have been charged!" -- Tarus

At any rate, some food for thought...
Wow, I never really thought of that. I like it. :) It'd be even more great if they could get the NA Voice actors for them too and not make them mumble their lines. :laugh: (At least Merco anyway.)

Or another Brawl move could be Blockman. Clanceball Teran can fall from the sky and Marina shakes him into Blockman and cause havoc from that point forward. :laugh:

Calina

Smash Cadet
Yeah - the Blockman's an awesome idea! (I wonder why I didn't think of it...)
Both the Clacers and Beastector should be represented... Now I can't decide! >.<
Well, mabye there can be a stage like Imperial HQ and like in SSB, a clancer can fly on by with a jetpack in the sky like Deedeedee did in Dreamland or Ridley on Brinstar and for the Beastector, well, I'm not too sure, they could always pop in as a Brawl attack like you said.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Imperial HQ - yeah that would be an awesome stage - but it might bear to close a resemblence to Metaknight's stage. An earlier stage from Planet Clancer - or maybe a stage with that creepy Monolith... But as far as Clancers, I meant more Teran - he was awesome! Teran Blockman or Beastector Trio... Decisions, decisions...

Calina

Smash Cadet
Imperial HQ - yeah that would be an awesome stage - but it might bear to close a resemblence to Metaknight's stage. An earlier stage from Planet Clancer - or maybe a stage with that creepy Monolith... But as far as Clancers, I meant more Teran - he was awesome! Teran Blockman or Beastector Trio... Decisions, decisions...
Ah, you're right. I never thought about Meta's stage and now that I think about it, it -does- bear a real close resemblance... I did like the stage with the Monolith(Haha, I always called it "Leos statue thingy" :laugh: I didn't know what it was called. Silly me.) The most awesome thing about the stage is pro'lly the mist/fog that hangs around on the bottom of the stage. I always like how they did that. :) As for the clancers I thought you just ment in general.:laugh: Teran -is- pretty darn awesome. I guess Nintendo will just have to decide between Teran Legoman or the Beastector Trio, eh?

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Wow, I was just talking to one of my friends about how this was one of the greatest games I've ever played.

She would be a perfect character for Brawl. Her power-up attack could call upon the last boss in the game, the Beastector Voltron thing, to pummel the enemy with laser attacks

"THROUGH FIRE, JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!!"

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
They're third party, but their closer to Nintendo than anyone else. They WERE close to Sega aswell, but alas poor SEGA... Saturn > PSOne and DreamCast > PS2 IMO...
Wow, I was just talking to one of my friends about how this was one of the greatest games I've ever played.

She would be a perfect character for Brawl. Her power-up attack could call upon the last boss in the game, the Beastector Voltron thing, to pummel the enemy with laser attacks

"THROUGH FIRE, JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!!"
Check out post #42 - I suggested basically the same thing. Seems like everyone loves Beastector...

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Dang you, Deathborne. Making me go back and read:laugh: .

I have to say, of all the bosses I've ever played in a video game, none of them can reach the same level as the Beastector. He was, when I first played that game, the perfect boss.

That's Treasure for you. If there's one thing they do right, that's make terrific bosses.

Calina

Smash Cadet
I have to say, of all the bosses I've ever played in a video game, none of them can reach the same level as the Beastector. He was, when I first played that game, the perfect boss.

That's Treasure for you. If there's one thing they do right, that's make terrific bosses.
Well, the giant robot they had was a bit of a pushover, heck Tarus was too. :laugh: But Lunar and Merco on the other hand, yeesh. Took me forever just to get Merco's. A few hours to get Lunars too. Perfect bosses ftw!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yes. They must pay tribute to the best battle ever... well one of the best at least (Bowser-zilla from Yoshi's Island is another contender)

EDIT: Yeah, Lunar w/ Ceberus Alpha was probably my favorite boss battle in the game...

Calina

Smash Cadet
Oh hey, I just got an idea for an alternate costume for Marina. Not that the colors would look that good on her but Calina's color scheme (Non transformed) could be one. Along with her Marina Clone form too.(Since the gloves and leg color is slightly diffrent.)

Calina

Smash Cadet
By chance, do you have images of the Beastector human forms? I never earned enough gems to see the full ending... :cry:
Yup, I pretty much cooy and pasted the whole game into my laptop for my friend to "Play" since she can't and I managed to get all of them in human form.(Haha 52 gold gems on my N64 and on the rom.:laugh: That sure was fun...)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Ditto121590/mercohuman.png

Annnd, unfourtunately I don't have Lunar and Tarus up. Just to give you a hint Tarus looks exactly the same only in a yellow suit. Once I get my laptop back I'll upload Tarus and Lunar to my account.

And just for the heck of it.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Ditto121590/Final23.jpg

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yup, I pretty much cooy and pasted the whole game into my laptop for my friend to "Play" since she can't and I managed to get all of them in human form.(Haha 52 gold gems on my N64 and on the rom.:laugh: That sure was fun...)
Not to mention a miracle!
You must be one of the few people on Earth that managed to beat Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts both ways...
BTW Thanks for the rest of the pics... Merco looks wierd as a human...

Calina

Smash Cadet
Not to mention a miracle!
You must be one of the few people on Earth that managed to beat Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts both ways...
BTW Thanks for the rest of the pics... Merco looks wierd as a human...
Hah, is it really that great I got all 52 on two games? :laugh: I still haven't even gotten one S rank. And as for Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, I've never played it. Hmmm, mabye I'll try it out some time if you think I'm capable of beating it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*EVIL DOUBLE-POST OF DOOM*

Sorry, but I found a high-res image of the Japanese boxart for Mischeif Makers (or Yuke Yuke! Troublemakers as it is known over there):

Sure beats the US boxart, although I like it very much as well... At any rate, I hope you like it...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
There were some movesets suggested earlier in the thread. Haven't come up with one of my own yet... though I did post an idea for a Brawl move. I should probably post it on the front. Feel free to post one yourself if you want.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Question, did Marina make the big list on the japanese smash blog?
I dont think she did....but it doesnt matter anymore anyways. Most people seem to have forgotten about it by now....

....talking about news, i wonder how far they have gotten in SSBB since the polls closed. I wonder who is already in... :ohwell:

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Entrance: *Jumps in* STOOOOP!!!

(3, 2, 1, BRAWL!!!)

A attacks-

Neutral: Punch- 3%
Forward: Iron Fist- 5%
Down: Sweep Kick- 4%
Up: Iron Upper- 6%
Neutral Air: Air Punch- 4%
Forward Air: Iron Air- 6%
Up Air: Air Iron Upper- 7%
Down Air: Knife Kick- 6% (Spike Attack)

B Attacks-

Neutral: Shake Shake- 7% (Grabs and shakes enemy 3 times, throws forward; Limited Range)
Forward: Shake Shake Dash- 10% (Short dash starter, same as Shake Shake; Better Range)
Up: Jet Upper- 9% (Small burst from jets while performing a Iron Upper)
Down: Super Knife Kick- 9% (Just like Captain Falcon's Captain Kick)

Smash Attacks-

Forward: Hyper Iron Fist- 12/20% (Charged/Uncharged%)
Up: Hyper Iron Upper- 13/21%
Down: Hyper Knife Kick- 8-11/16-19% (Far-Close)

Super Attack-

Shake Shake Madness!: Dashes toward enemy and launches with Iron Upper, calls Proffessor Theo and Knife Kicks enemy into him, enemy is tossed between Marina and Theo; only to be shaken until dizzy and thrown onto the arena floor.- 40%

Taunt: "YAHOO!"

*GAME!*

The winner is... Marina Liteyears!

Marina says "Ah, that's better." Logo behind Marina is the Treasure Logo.

*Game goes back to Char. Select Screen*
...thats decent enough.

Wow.... this is her without her armor?

she looks cool.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this is the best character topic. Period. ...next to Crono characters and Geno. I guess I have a few suggestions. First, I thought Marina's set of B-moves could just be air-dashing, which would work in much the same way as it does in Mischief Makers. Oh, and if you did down-b on the ground, you could perform a dash jump, which could go twice as high as a normal jump. But in Brawl you could attack while air-dashing, making Marina a fast, lightweight character.

As for a level...Why not Clance Wars? You'd see all those Clancers with bazookas and tanks in the background...and every once in a while some clancers would come onto the actual stage and cause even more mayhem.

Hmm...this topic kinda reminds me of Ristar from the Genesis era...but he definately doesn't have a chance because he was only on Genesis...right? If you guys like Mischief Makers, you should play Ristar. I think it's unlockable on Sonic Mega Collection...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Thanks for the input and something along the lines of Clance Wars was actually what I had in mind for a stage, though the implementation you suggested seems much more interesting. :)

As far as the B-moves I didn't want to utilise the dash too much, even though it's one of her primary mechanics, as it runs the risk of making her too similar to other characters, i.e. Fox and C. Falcon. But again, since its an important attribute to Marina in the game, I figured usind one wouldn't hurt. So here goes my first stab at a B-move for Marina:

v B: Slider Kick - Marina jets forward along the ground in a ducking position with a sliding kick. It has the effect of initially sending an opponent slightly up in the air, throwing the target temporarily off balance. While not very useful for smashing opponents, it serves more as a way to either get in a quick attack or to initiate a chain combo. It covers about as much distance as Fox Illussion and inflicts mild damage, about 12% - 15% worth.

frogfusious

Smash Cadet
I loved Mischief Makers; definetely one of my favorites for the Nintendo 64. I think Marina would make a great addition to the Smash lineup. There are some things you have to remember about Mischief Makers:
1. It doesen't seem to be well known at all.
2. It wasn't a major success at its release(despite its quality).
3. It was only released on the N64
4. It was developed by Treasure Co(a company who seem to be on good terms with Nintendo).
5. It is somewhat of an obscure/cult classic(Nintendo like bringing obscure/old characters into the mix: G&W, Ice Climbers, Pit, ect).
Take all of that into consideration and then consider the fact that Nintendo could easily just get the rights to Mischief Makers. Nintendo is already known to be buying the rights to games of discontinued developers and franchises(for the Virtual Console). Why could they not do this with characters and stages from Mischief Makers? I couldn't imagine why Treasure would even want the rights to it anymore and it's rights would probably sell for very little: The game isn't for sale anymore(aside from used), Treasure has no use for it and it's extremely unpopular(has little to no chance of a sequel). I think Nintendo would be making a great choice if they got the rights to the game and brought Marina(and maybe some Mischief Makers stages) to Brawl. It would certainly appeal to the older, sentimental gamers.

here's some loose ideas for her character:
She would be relatively light, fast and have multiple jumps via her jets(great for Brawl's "more-aerial combat" approach).

=A Moves=
Neutral: Punches.
Up Tilt: Throws a weak uppercut.
Down Tilt: Releases a light kick.
Neutral Aerial: Spins around with fists extended.
Up Aerial: Sends a powerful uppercut.
Forward Aerial: Sends a powerful punch.
Down Aerial: Releases a powerful kick.
Up Smash: Uses jets to slightly jump releasing a powerful uppercut.
Forward Smash: Thrusts forward with strong punch.
Down Smash: Propels herself slightly off the ground and performs a spin-kick.

=B Moves=
Neutral B: Pulls out the classic jar thing from the game which was used to store bombs. This works like Game and Watches bucket; it can be used to store up energy attacks and throw them back at the opponent.
Up B: Final jet burst(used when out of jumps, like a weaker version of Fox's/Falco's Up B).
Forward B: Knife Kick (jets forward with powerful kick).
Down B: Pulls out Clancer-faced objects from the game; like Peach's radishes:
85% chance of pulling out a randomly-colored sphere; 7 damage.
5% chance of pulling out a Clancer guy. Walks around the stage like Mr Saturn, cries when hurt/used as a weapon. Does very little damage.
5% chance of pulling out a spikey sphere: 18 damage.
3% chance of pulling out a bomb: 32 damage at direct contact, explosion radius does damage/knockback to anyone caught in it.
2% chance of pulling out machine gun/turrent: As long as it is held it shoots blasts rapidly until it runs out; like hammer/star disappears eventually; can be taken away/thrown on ground.

=Grabs=
Shake Shake!: When you're holding a character in Smash you can hit A or whatever to hit them. When Marina does this she shakes the enemy. After shaking, the difficultly of the opponent to break free is halved. If an opponent is at 100% and he is shaken, the time it would take for him to break free would be as if he was at 50%. Shaking can sometimes produce interesting effects on the second shake. There is a 75% chance that an effect will occur. The different effects that can occur are:
50% chance of opponent dropping their item.
20% chance of opponent getting poisoned(Lip's Stick affect).
15% chance of opponent being shrunk(poisoned mushroom).
10% chance of being stunned(as if they broke their shield).
5% of instant kill(G&W 9 hammer).

Up Throw: Marina tosses you up in the air.
Forward Throw: Marina simply slings you away(as she would with objects in the games).
Down Throw: Marina slams you down and burns you with her jets.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I dunno about the whole "buying Marina" thing but i guess it could be possible. I mean Treasure is also known for not making sequals for its less sucessful franchise.

...BUT....

You forgot it was colabaration (sp?) with Enix (now Square-enix) and maybe Nintendo. I think getting her might be a tough job.

Actually, I still think its Treasure's game. I was developed by them and published by Enix in Japan but by Nintendo in USA.....this is a bit wierd once you think about it.

Anyways, I think Nintendo could do it, but i doubt they would spend so much just to see her in Smash. Most likely Geno is the best bet. But then again, Sakuria said he was to throw in a few suprises by adding non-popular characters in instead of the popular and expected....

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Actually, there is no need to "buy" her in the first place, as Treasure is the kind of company that would likely just let Nintendo use the character without charging a dime, since her presence in the game would be payment enough in the form of free advertising. Mischief Makers is also Treasure's best selling stand alone title and she's already made a cameo appearence in another Treasure game - the SSB-esque Rakugaki Showtime.

BTW nice moveset frogfusious. :)

Top Bottom