• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

I speak of course of the main protagonist of Treasure's masterpiece Mischief Makers for the N64. It was a bit of a sleeper hit when it was released back in '97 (which, unfortunately, seems to be the norm for Treasure games), but it has achieved cult status since. Treasure is on good terms with Nintendo, having developed Wario World for the GC. However, Treasure is one of those companies that has gone under the radar for far too long, and having Marina represent Treasure in SSBB would be great method of getting some long deserved recognition for the company. At any rate, of all Treasure's characters, I find Marina to be the most fitting for SSB (and she fits like a glove at that). Marina's also considered an "unofficial" Nintendo character, considering MM hasn't been ported to any other console since it's original release and I believe it has been confirmed for the VC.

Here's a few images from the game:

Update: I just started compiling a moveset for our good friend Marina.
Special Thanks to Smasher BP! and Calina for their ideas! :)
It’s still in its early phase, so don’t expect too much just yet…

Moveset for Marina Liteyears:

Stats: Marina would function very similarly, almost to the tee in fact, to how she is portrayed in the game itself, as the gameplay has a lot in common with SSB (part of the reason why I suggested her in the first place…). She would be quick and nimble but also somewhat of a lightweight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Smash > A: Iron Fist- Similar in movement to Mario’s Smash > A attack, minus the fire effect and with her hand a clenched into a fist.

Smash ^ A: Iron Uppercut – Rises a short distance off of the ground with an uppercut attack and performs a little back flip while landing – sort of a recoil from the attack.

Smash v A: Knife Kick- Lifts her leg to a medium height then performs a spin kick accompanied with a slashing animation and sound effects – similar in effect to a sword attack.

Still working on B-moves…

Brawl Move: Beastector - Marina summons the Beastector trio in their combined Voltron-esque guardian (the final boss) where it jumps into the background and torches the stage surface with it barrage of fire power. The assault lasts for about 30 seconds and while it can inflict serious damage, it can not smash opponents. Throughout the duration of the attack, the members of Beastector say their respective catchphrases:
"Through fire, justice is served!" -- Lunar
"A hero in shining armor is called." -- Merco
"To punish evil forces, I have been charged!" -- Tarus.

Another Take: Blockman Rises - Marina's Clancer ally Teran falls from the sky and transforms into a Clanceball. Marina then shakes him, transforming him into Blockman. Blockman rampages back and forth on the stage platform with Marina being able to steer him in either direction. Has a duration of 30 seconds and has the potential hazard of falling off the stage. Blockman is also unable to jump. Has the potential to inflict very high damage and is able to smash away opponent. -- Thanks Calina! :)

Entrance: Marina jets in, yelling "STOOOOP!!!"

Taunt: Spins around and shouts “Yahoo!”

Victory stance: Marina gives a little stretch and exclaims “Ah… That’s better.”

Kirby Hat: Marina’s Awesome Hat w/ Green Hair!

Please post your thoughts.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
She's ok, but given the limited number of third party characters that will appear in the game, she doesn't seem to be a priority.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure. She sounds good, but I don't think they will be adding to many characters, and there's also more nintendo chars with a lot better chances. But she looks ab le to be a good fighter for it. So I don't know.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I know it's just wishful thinking for the most part, but say certain third-party companies get one character each, and Treasure happens to be one such company, I think Marina would have the best shot among their ranks, considering MM was their best selling title...

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
She looks good, but considering the fact that only one game of her was released and that she didn't get the attention originally expected from the public, I'd say there's a 10% chance of her in the game.

Dr.Vannostrum

Smash Rookie
As good as the game was, I don't think it was to popular (not many people I talk to know about it). And becides, it was just one game. If there is going to be limited space to 3rd parties, there will be many others that get in before she is even considered. I support, but do not expect.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Marina is awesome, but as Mcfox has said, I really doubt that she'll make the cut

Sav'ur

Smash Cadet
OMG, I have to get this game. I never played it, but I watched a relative play it a couple years back. It looked very interesting, and wanted to give it a shot, but then he wanted to pop in Perfect Dark. ><

Marina seems like a very interesting character to say the least.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
OMG YESS! MARIIIINAAAA!! Unfortunately, Marina's chances of making Smash bros brawl are pretty much non-existant. Firstly because she's a third-party character who only starred in ONE not-very-successful (although cult status earning) game. Pretty much nobody knows who she is, which is SUCH A PITY because Marina is just darn cool!

She would be awesome in Smash Bros Brawl, all her moves just fit the game so well.

However, mark my words, unless someone bribes Nintendo and Treasure, she's not gonna make it.

And imagine her stage! It would be on planet Clancer, and you'd be able to stand on those Clancer blocks and get hit by the spikey balls and every now and again Merco would fly up and throw his spear at someone and Professor whatshisname would randomly creep up behind people and molest them and Terrance could be an unlockable character and there would be all those helpless baby clancers from the war level crawling around (which you could sadistically murder, if I remember correctly) and lolololololitwouldworksodarnwell.

And her attacking movement from a grab could be "shake shake!"
I fully support Marina for Smash Bros, but I really doubt it will happen.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I full heartedly support...but I don't think she will make it...unless nintendo gos for a classic character for one of it's non nintendo characters.

i must say this thread made me dust of the 64 and play the game again and it made me remember what a beautiful game it was sniff* lol but anyways the villians in the game are perfect for smash and so is marina.......my hope for them to get in the game...very big....their actual chances of makin it in...highly unlikely (sob)

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Marina!!!!! I can't believe that I forgot about that game, it was so awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Note that Mischief Makers belonged to 3 companies, Enix (now Square-Enix), Treasure, AND Nintendo. I guess that gives her the "Geno Issue"

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Chidosengan said:
Note that Mischief Makers belonged to 3 companies, Enix (now Square-Enix), Treasure, AND Nintendo. I guess that gives her the "Geno Issue"
I think that Enix was just the publisher (or co-publisher w/ Nintendo) - I believe the rights to the franchise belong solely to Treasure, but I could be wrong.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
All this talk about great 3rd party characters, and me finding my N64 after the move, got me to play this game. A lot. A loooooot. So lemme do my usual FlipTroopa magic, eh?

Firstly, the game was co-developed by Treasure and Enix, then published by Enix in Japan, and Nintendo in the US. But Nintendo publishes a lot of games, like Mega Man 6, so that doesn't make a difference. Likely they would need permission from Treasure and Squeenix to use the character.

Marina has appeared in TWO games. The second was a really weird PSX fighting game called Rakugaki Showtime. Look it up: it's a messed up game, very similar to Smash Bros. if it was handdrawn with original characters. It even has its own boss, God Hand (as opposed to Master Hand), who draws all the fighters and items. Funky.

Anyways, Mischief Makers was the best-selling Treasure game in the US, and probably the only with mainstream presence. Everybody who had a N64 at least rented or knew somebody who rented this game. It's one of Treasure's more popular titles in Japan as well, up there with Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun.

That moveset for Marina , btw, is alright, but I would've liked more originality in the B moves. She has the Shake power, but she should get a few other abilities as well. I was picturing maybe her neutral B just being her basic Shake skill from the actual game, where she can catch people and toss them in any direction or shake them for minor damage. She could potentially grab and shake items this way as well, maybe making them more powerful? (that's her main ability in Rakugaki) Her Forward B I pictured being like the Raptor Boost, and then I could see her getting some unique abilities for the other two. Like an earth shaking or clanbomb making attack for Down B, and some crazy hover skill for Up B. Btw, if they add airdashes in Brawl, this is the perfect character for it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
All this talk about great 3rd party characters, and me finding my N64 after the move, got me to play this game. A lot. A loooooot. So lemme do my usual FlipTroopa magic, eh?

Firstly, the game was co-developed by Treasure and Enix, then published by Enix in Japan, and Nintendo in the US. But Nintendo publishes a lot of games, like Mega Man 6, so that doesn't make a difference. Likely they would need permission from Treasure and Squeenix to use the character.

Marina has appeared in TWO games. The second was a really weird PSX fighting game called Rakugaki Showtime. Look it up: it's a messed up game, very similar to Smash Bros. if it was handdrawn with original characters. It even has its own boss, God Hand (as opposed to Master Hand), who draws all the fighters and items. Funky.

Anyways, Mischief Makers was the best-selling Treasure game in the US, and probably the only with mainstream presence. Everybody who had a N64 at least rented or knew somebody who rented this game. It's one of Treasure's more popular titles in Japan as well, up there with Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun.

That moveset for Marina , btw, is alright, but I would've liked more originality in the B moves. She has the Shake power, but she should get a few other abilities as well. I was picturing maybe her neutral B just being her basic Shake skill from the actual game, where she can catch people and toss them in any direction or shake them for minor damage. She could potentially grab and shake items this way as well, maybe making them more powerful? (that's her main ability in Rakugaki) Her Forward B I pictured being like the Raptor Boost, and then I could see her getting some unique abilities for the other two. Like an earth shaking or clanbomb making attack for Down B, and some crazy hover skill for Up B. Btw, if they add airdashes in Brawl, this is the perfect character for it.
Wow, I'm going to have to look that game up now. Where do you get all your info FlipTroopa?
Also, that was a fairly good moveset - I was just happy someone had given Marina some consideration.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Wow, I'm going to have to look that game up now. Where do you get all your info FlipTroopa?
Also, that was a fairly good moveset - I was just happy someone had given Marina some consideration.
Once again, I don't have one super duper source :p I guess I just network well. I have one friend who told me about that game last night, actually, and there's where I first heard of it. He read about it when it was first covered on IGN. I guess, all in all, I just know who to talk to :laugh:

I wonder if Nintendo would actually include Marina... she's on the middle section of the BIG LIST, but not entirely out of the question.

Smasher BP!

Smash Rookie
Marina Liteyears Movelist

<I was asked to re-post the moveset here>

Entrance: *Jumps in* STOOOOP!!!

(3, 2, 1, BRAWL!!!)

A attacks-

Neutral: Punch- 3%
Forward: Iron Fist- 5%
Down: Sweep Kick- 4%
Up: Iron Upper- 6%
Neutral Air: Air Punch- 4%
Forward Air: Iron Air- 6%
Up Air: Air Iron Upper- 7%
Down Air: Knife Kick- 6% (Spike Attack)

B Attacks-

Neutral: Shake Shake- 7% (Grabs and shakes enemy 3 times, throws forward; Limited Range)
Forward: Shake Shake Dash- 10% (Short dash starter, same as Shake Shake; Better Range)
Up: Jet Upper- 9% (Small burst from jets while performing a Iron Upper)
Down: Super Knife Kick- 9% (Just like Captain Falcon's Captain Kick)

Smash Attacks-

Forward: Hyper Iron Fist- 12/20% (Charged/Uncharged%)
Up: Hyper Iron Upper- 13/21%
Down: Hyper Knife Kick- 8-11/16-19% (Far-Close)

Super Attack-

Shake Shake Madness!: Dashes toward enemy and launches with Iron Upper, calls Proffessor Theo and Knife Kicks enemy into him, enemy is tossed between Marina and Theo; only to be shaken until dizzy and thrown onto the arena floor.- 40%

Taunt: "YAHOO!"

*GAME!*

The winner is... Marina Liteyears!

Marina says "Ah, that's better." Logo behind Marina is the Treasure Logo.

*Game goes back to Char. Select Screen*

...so, what do you think? Also, if you have any questions about the Moves, ask me and I'll try to answer you as best I can.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I'm so confused, as usual with all these suggestions, but not in a bad way, which is the usual with all these suggestions.

Isn't Marina 2nd party then? Treasures is making a Bleach game for the DS and a this list:
Gunstar Heroes (1993, Sega. Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis; Unknown date, unknown publisher, Sega Game Gear)
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (1994, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis)
Dynamite Headdy (1994, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis; Unknown date, unknown publisher, Game Gear)
Yu Yu Hakusho Makyo Toitsusen (幽☆遊☆白書 魔強統一戦) (1994, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis*)
Alien Soldier (1995, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis)
Light Crusader (1995, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis)
Guardian Heroes (1996, Sega, Sega Saturn)
Mischief Makers (ゆけゆけ!トラブルメーカーズ yuke-yuke! Trouble Makers) (1997, Enix (JP)/Nintendo (US), Nintendo 64)
Silhouette Mirage (1997, ESP, Saturn*; 1998, ESP (JP)/Working Designs (US), Sony PlayStation)
Radiant Silvergun (1998, self-published, Arcade*; 1998, ESP, Saturn*)
Rakugaki Showtime (1999, Enix, PlayStation*)
Bangai-O/Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh (爆裂無敵バンガイオー) (1999, ESP, N64*; 1999 (JP)/2000 (EU)/2001 (US), ESP (JP)/Swing! Games (EU)/Conspiracy Entertainment (US), Sega Dreamcast)
GunBeat (Cancelled, unknown publisher, Arcade)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet (2000 (JP)/2001 (US/EU), Capcom (JP)/Swing! Games and Conspiracy Entertainment (EU)/Working Designs (US), Sony PlayStation 2)
Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth (罪と罰~地球(ほし)の継承者~) (2000, Nintendo, Nintendo 64*)
Stretch Panic (ひっぱリンダ hippa linda) (2001, Conspiracy Entertainment (US)/Swing! Games (EU)/Kadokawa Shoten (JP), PlayStation 2)
Ikaruga (斑鳩) (2001, self-published, Arcade*; 2002, ESP, Dreamcast*; 2003, Atari, Nintendo GameCube)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream (2002, Swing! Games (EU), Nintendo Game Boy Advance)
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting
Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Looniverse (cancelled, unknown publisher, PlayStation 2)
Wario World (2003, Nintendo, GameCube)
Dragon Drive D-Masters Shot (2003, Bandai, GameCube*)
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (2004, Sega, Game Boy Advance; developed in collaboration with the Sega team, Hitmaker)
Gradius V (2004, Konami, PlayStation 2)
Advance Guardian Heroes (2004, Ubisoft, Game Boy Advance)
Gunstar Super Heroes (2005, Sega, Game Boy Advance)
Bleach: Souten ni Kakeru Unmei (2006, Sega, Nintendo DS*)

shows that they mostly work for Nintendo, their last game without Nintendo was only made for a remake of a classic game. My source

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Treasure is actually a bunch of employees from Konami who broke off and formed their own development team, if I'm not mistaken. And most of their games were half and half for Nintendo or Sega, with a few for Sony. That doesn't make a company second party anyways; if Nintendo actually OWNED Treasure, that would make them 2nd party. But Nintendoesn't.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Keep in mind also, as FlipTroopa pointed out earlier, that Marina did make a cameo appearance in a PSX title, so she's not a Nintendo exclusive character (as I myself once thought) either. Oh well... But Treasure is on good terms with Nintendo and Marina is probably the most recognisable character from their roster and she has a strong established base on the N64 with Mischeif Makers. So she does have a chance - and maybe a better one than we think...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Wave Bird said:
I was just playing that game the other day.

Fun Game, but she's not for brawl.
And how so? She's already got the grab move, plus there's tons of elements from the game that can be implemented into a moveset - not to mention she's already made a cameo appearance in a fighter somewhat similar to SSB for the PSX.

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
She'd be like a super Peach. Every button pulls something out of the ground. Or a pot.

...Like a shuriken or something. **** that'd be awesome.

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't know if Marina would be at the top of my list, but she'd definitely have some awesome moves. Her throws alone would make her worth it. "Shake shake!"
I guess that would be her grab +A.

Calina

Smash Cadet
Wow, I'm really surprised that all these people know about Marina and (most) would like to see her in the game. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed for that... Heck, like what Gambloputty said, Mr.Game and Watch got in. There's a good chance she will too...mabye.

Top Bottom