• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making the Pit boards useful again

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
For the past several months the Pit boards have become stagnant without much info being posted or topics being discussed. I would like to see that change, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that could help I am all ears, either through PMing me or posting.

This includes what kind of topics you would like to seen brought up more, or things that would be taken care of, or really anything I/we can do as a player/mod of the Pit boards. I would like to see things at least get back to how they were a year ago with constant new ideas being brought up, ways to deal with match ups/stages, strategies and attacks for all types of situations.

I know several people who visit these boards feel the same way, and know Pit has potential that is not being shown enough at tournaments. So again if you have any suggestions to either myself or the Pit boards feel free to PM me or post it in this thread.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
lrn2looparrowsbettr
:laugh:

i had that one a comin

but srsly if pit's got like godlike at looping arrows
they could set up stuff not to mention
mindgames and being able to get out of bad situations

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Thank you so much for posting this! I feel the same way!

I think the most important thing we need to do is get a DECENT match up thread stickied immediately! I think one of the reasons why we aren't placing high is because we don't know enough on what to do against a certain character. I know Iris Kong is trying to do something like it, but his main thread has not been stickied, and his campaign was not successful. I would either like that, or to post a whole new match up thread. And I think it would be better to get the match ups for ALL characters up as quickly as possible.

And I know we can't really do anything about this. But SO MANY Pit's are just discouraging growth. They say he can't go high, and that he should stay at 9th, with out even saying why. It's as if they don't have faith in him. And they are dismissing some of Pit's AT's as useless, such as Arrow Looping. They aren't even considering a good conversation on debating it. I know it's just my opinion, but I think that some of the Pit's on the Pit boards should be more open to discussion, and not dismiss things by using a "because I said so" method. I think if the Pit's didn't discourage more ideas, we would be getting a lot more posts. This is just my opinion though. You are free to disagree.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, MATCHUPS are important, but I can't run them since I soon will have to be dealing with RL stuff, though for almost a year now, I have been trying to gather information secretly. However, because ppl can be real biased, and that I get bashed way too much for not being an offliner (like I have a choice), I probably won't even provide the info.

However, get rid of all talk on ATs (except using possible Wing Renewal for some gimping attempts at times). Next, get the Pits to learn how to be offensive and defensive (pretty much being versatile, while avoiding being fancy), especially how to be defensive since many of Pit's matchups, especially bad ones, can force Pit to be defensive, which also means knowing how to ledge camp.

So generally,
-Learn to be versatile, which is offensive and defensive (again, avoid being fancy), and once again, more defense than offense.
-Learn how to gimp opponents, for due to Pit lacking good KO power, his gimping makes up for most of it.
-Take advantage of being able to CG and/or F-throw to Stutter-step F-smash some characters, if you get the opportunity.
-Learn Pivot Arrows to help in spacing and defense.
-Learn the matchups, obviously.
-Be able to adapt on different stages, or just adapt over all.

Good luck, since apparently, I ain't helpful in any way. At least you got some ideals, though.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
^^^ easily off topic. lol. Thanks for your help corrupt. This topic helps introduce yourself as a mod too. Billions of questions are being asked as new people are slowly looking into pit.

Hopefully we can form a guide for his higher tier meta-game.
-Damage racking
-Arrow pressuring
-Unparalleled gimp ability
-Great Plank
-Great stall
-Great recovery options

Those are not even all of when he can excel in. But we would need a way to express some of these abilities in a more battle ready guide. No wonder people say pit is the other side of metaknight.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
lol I have been a mod of the Pit boards for a bit now, I just started to become inactive (more then I would have liked to) for some time because of a broken wii, I now have that fixxed and so I am back. As for all the ideas keep them comming, I am with my GF today so I wont have time to read them all, I have just been poping in when I get a spare moment, and will go through and respond/go over everything when I get a chance.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Again, I have tried to help with matchups many times before. However, the Pit boards have been in a cycle, restarting matchups about 2 or 3 times, without completing the whole roster, and amongst the characters we chose to discuss, most of them were the highly common characters, instead of some underrated but potential threatening characters, like Kirby or some other characters. Plus, now-a-days, I am just left out, so what are we to do now?

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
It depends. Boards are used for info to share among. Most info we mainly know already. To help the boards with new eyes, we need information. Who all are able to contribute with data and technical stuff now. The main guide has everything but was found so long ago that it just seems like old data by old pits that don't communicate.

Our AT's our situational but that's all we got. We need to be able to discuss when and where it work. It doesn't to world breaking, we just need more helpful info for our character. I think a lot don't like the pit boards because we are too bias on movesets that we can't get any strategies or improvement done except self improvement. There some confusion here as well. If I wanted to pick up a new character, like wario or sonic. There is threads with combos and useful strategies compiled up to a guide that helps you learn far more than training alone.

I know I'm okay with frame data but what about other stuff and who else can help?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
lol, we have to admit...the Pit boards suck >_< I've been trying to get some interest sparked w/ my new threads, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. Actually, we have a ton of information from the older threads, we just need to dissect more of the info out. Like I said before, the allisbrawl Pit groups have a TON of matchup info(only missing 3-5 chars.) that the Pit boards need, but we won't be able to realize Pit's full potential unless we all work together.

CaptainPlatypus

Smash Cadet
lol, we have to admit...the Pit boards suck >_< I've been trying to get some interest sparked w/ my new threads, but it hasn't seemed to do anything. Actually, we have a ton of information from the older threads, we just need to dissect more of the info out. Like I said before, the allisbrawl Pit groups have a TON of matchup info(only missing 3-5 chars.) that the Pit boards need, but we won't be able to realize Pit's full potential unless we all work together.
Agreed. I'm down to help with everything, but not until this semester is over.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I would try to help, but when I did, people said it wasnt good enough. I also tried to get a group dedicated to the Mu thread, that didnt work either. Im still wiling to help, PM me if you actually want it.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
I would also like to help. I know I don't have that much reputation, but I do want to see Pit improve and for that to happen we DO need to work together.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So from what I can tell people want a good match up thread. I know that we have had several match up threads and all have fallen apart, what exactly do people want in them that isn't there? We had at least one that didn't have some type of info so people wern't completly happy with it. What info do people really care for? Stage picks, strats is all we have ever really done, what more are people asking for, how/what exactly do you want it to have?

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I can assume because it helps the most
Machup name :
the ratio:

What are the pos and cons.

How we can **** that character throughout the match (chain grabs/ combo) <- a must to know

Summary: <- this is important too and how to play the match such as our falco descriptions from sage when discussing.

Crap... I may need some help on our chain grab data since now alot can DI out.
Matchup data can have in depth of how to gimp each one too since its important to pits game. (2 fairs is enough to gimp Ike when he is below stage at this %) To gimp so and so, aim here.

The thing is, I feel really well known with pit, or I can tell alot are but there seems to be no set strategy. More of a hit and run or juggle if available. Too random.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That also reminds me...

When I have been doing my matchups, and all, some question me bout what stage to use against who and what stage to ban against who and all. We need a better stage CP/Ban thing, or at least more accurate, plus the REASONS why we should CP or ban the stage against the characters. Details help, a lot.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
I agree with Admiral Pit. We do need a detailed stage pick thread.

In the matchup threads, all we discussed was strategy (Which was helpful for a while). But when we wanted to know about what stages to pick, the only thing was a blunt list of what to pick and no reason why.

What I think should be done about the stages is all the things Admiral Pit stated, PLUS strategy's on WHAT to do on those stages. Such as "Use a sweetspot Bair here to bounce him off the stage and K.O. him" type of strategies and advice. And also techniques we could use to help control the stage and dominate it.

And also, I would like to have it kept up to date. And to get all the matchups done as soon as possible.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I think that there should be more educational threads posted for newer Pit mains. A lot of the Pit's I talk to are either misinformed or underinformed. They think that momentum cancelling is DI, they're unaware that you are vulnerable at both the beginning and end of a forword roll but only vulnerable at the end of a backwards roll, they don't know about Pit's d-tilt spike, etc. Also I think it's about time that we cracked down on figuring out exactly what causes what has been named the ART (angel ring technique). I learned almost everything I know from the Link mains in their xat chat and I'm confident that a couple of them could make quick work of this mystery.

Also, I saw a great Pit metagame thread but I forgot where its at lol so if anyone has a link to the thread I would appreciate it if you could put it in a reply.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
This is a great oportunity for us to go on.
- Somethings that is missing in here is how to deal with DI (Even though 'DI is a basic AT but it really tends to help ppl getting high placing in championshlips - and that's all we want -). I woud be glad if someone consider this idea.

Hhow to deal with most common atacks such as: Snake's Utilt, MK's SL, MK's whorenado, Wolf's D and FSmashes and the list goes on.

- Making a team of good people that can actually represent us in the others boards in Pit's MUs. That will make our bourd looks far more serious than it looks now.

- IMO True combos and string movements could be listed as training options in training mode.
That could help pit's around the world to think faster in some situations other than saying: "When X happens, use Y".

This is my ideas.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
We may have to reanalyze our move-set a bit.
Why do we up tilt? why do we have to get so close to use it. first hit is useless?

Well a bit of test I solved this problem. We don't always get our dair string completed because they can evade right? But we can fast fall evade to the ground before them and uptilt is perfect as that.

That can change pits general play .

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
U-tilt can be used to combo at low percents and refresh stale moves while not staling ones with more KO power. I'd say that it's extremely situational as it should never be used as an attack directly out of an approach and instead only if you just happen to somehow find yourself pretty much touching an opponent and you have one of the above reasons to use it.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
I agree with Tikun. We should get a list of true combos that Pit can do, because I know he has a ton of them.

And for Stealthgun's request, I once posted a guide on how to do a SH ART in the "ask a question get an answer boards". I could find it for you or retype it if you'd like.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs &amp; FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Um, I have a pretty decent combo that I use frequently. If you do an AR or jab combo into a Dtilt before they can DI out of it, you can set them up to be juggled and rack up some decent damage, depending on the opponent. Dunno if this was the right place to post this, but it could help...

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I agree with Tikun. We should get a list of true combos that Pit can do, because I know he has a ton of them.

And for Stealthgun's request, I once posted a guide on how to do a SH ART in the "ask a question get an answer boards". I could find it for you or retype it if you'd like.
I would very much appreciate it if you could retype it or find it for me. Hopefully I can take and use the info to figure out a way to perform an ART in other ways.

Hey guess what! lol while searching for dual's SH ART post I found that thread on Pit's metagame that I mentioned earlier. I dunno why it's not a listed thread anymore but I'll put the link at the bottom of this post. Btw what are the rules on posting someone else's old thread? Do we just have to give credit to the original author (who in this case would be Phaigne)?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255100&highlight=Angel+Ring+Tech

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So I guess the next step is getting that match up thread working. Who wants to go for it? All the info people are requesting are in these handful of posts, match that up with what we already have in the match up threads and that should cover most of what is needed.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
- Get a central match up thread that links to past discussions

- We should make the current guide into a community guide and continuously update it

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
And then don't forget to list what stages to CP/Ban against the character that we are talking about and give DETAILS about why we should. Remember, a lot of information could help out.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So I guess does anyone have the time to make said match up thread these days? I know a we have had a few in the past so if any of those people would be willing to that would be great, all the info people are requesting is in this thread and match up threads in the past.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I don't have alot of matchup experience to agree and disagree on some good players.

-Metaknight-semi experienced
-Snake -experienced
-Falco-experienced
-Diddy- semi experienced
-Pika-experienced
-Pokemon trainer- semi experienced
-Lucario- lower gamer skill but semi experienced
-G&W semi experienced
-Yoshi- experienced
-Wolf- experienced
-Mario.... experienced than my cpu mario became sick as $h!7 o_O?

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I am willing to manage the matchup thread ;)

EDIT: On second thought there is already a pretty nice matchup thread with summaries written by Admiral Pit, what if we just moved that to the 1st page and improved it? It has alot of content already that we could use and would save a ton of work.

If you don't want to manage it Admiral, I would be willing. It just doesn't seem logical to create an entirely new matchup thread when your's is nicely formatted :p

Katana_koden

Smash Ace

EDIT: On second thought there is already a pretty nice matchup thread with summaries written by Admiral Pit, what if we just moved that to the 1st page and improved it? It has alot of content already that we could use and would save a ton of work.

If you don't want to manage it Admiral, I would be willing. It just doesn't seem logical to create an entirely new matchup thread when your's is nicely formatted :p
Sticky for agreeing, lol

Its in a very nice format,and pretty much outdated so we just need to improve on it. We just need summary discussions of 2010 and 2009 experience.

jinkogunai

Smash Apprentice
i dont main pit, but i think he has some potential o be better and i have been playing with him a lot more recently. im sure i can help out with beefin up the pit threads. if there's anything i can help in please send me a pm or something.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted

Cool cool, I assume you are talking about http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242314 rather then http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197115. Make a post in the one you wanta (to hand threads to other users I have to have a post in the thread by the person that will take over) Once that gets done run it how you will.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I could've sworn I posted here already.

I also like the 2nd one It may need some hyperlink between character pics. Far better and easier to read format too.

Major potential problem, how do we update if addy doesn't use this site any more? A recent chat, he says it was also send down to him..

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Heres a small idea for the pit boards. maybe we can make a thread listing upcoming tournaments that are regionals or nationals and have a list of the pit players that are planning to attend. I think this is a great idea to see and hear about all the pit players out there and i think it will boost communication and give at least one other thing to talk about on the boards. I think it could hype more pit players to enter if seeing other pit players in it and gives intel on other possible tournies to go to. all we would need is to make a thread and have people post what they are planning to attend and then update it as us pit players post tourny plans. Think this could be an alright idea or what?

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
I agree and disagree to that. Good idea, it will improve some communication or even help on match-ups that usually win certain tourneys. Example would be (outdated btw) Impact clash in GA, reflex and kismet ( falco & PT) are attending, what are some tips? It can boost performance. The only part I disagree on is, like starting a shop, will it work out or not since not a lot of pits use SWF or attend tourneys. So it might be a slow thread, you know what I mean? But overall I would like the thread.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Well i know that not many pit players use the pit forums but I mean who ever is managing the thread could the check the attendees on AIB or somewhere and mark down which pit players are attending. and once the tourny is over it can be confirmed which pit players came and it can be put down how they did in the tourny. I really think it would be great it is one more thing to the pit boards and i dont think many of the other character boards have this feature.

Top Bottom