• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make your Smash personal! How will you play Brawl?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
We all know about those "hardcore" tournament goers that mock and laugh at those that play with items...And, we have those n00b stubborn donkeys that mock those that want items out for the sake of less hazards. Here, we can all discuss which we we think we will end up playing Brawl. Post the rules you will use, and the type of stages you will pick in general. You can say default which will be a 2min Brawl on Battlefield.

Personally, I'll play like this:

Stocks: 3
Time: 0:00
Item Switch: Smashballs only (pitty smash off if that is even an option), very low.
Stages: Battle Field looks like a stage I'm going to Brawl a lot on. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with Pokemon Stadium 2. I'll probably use the Builder to make a neutral stage with three-four platforms. I might consider putting in some spike hazards.

READY...GO!

Card

Smash Lord
I'll probably start by playing with timed/item matches, and get a feel of EVERY stage in the game. I want to get a feel and a strong use of every item and Final Smash in the game, before cranking it up Tournament-Style. Really it depends on the community and tournament scene as a whole evolve the rules. Who knows, maybe we'll end up playing with Smash Balls in the tournament scene.

Nothing is set in stone yet.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I never knew so many people looked at Smash like that...my outlook is to strategically buidld up damage then knee someone to death...

Irmão Esmagador

Smash Cadet
Items: Depend on the situation. Sometimes I like them.
Smash Balls: Always. They are a new part of gameplay, accept it.
Time: Depends on my humor.
Stage: Random madness.

:)

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
I'll prob try time first even though I use to do stock a lot. Depends how I feel like playing.
Items: Off [Though I will try them]
Smashball: On
Stage: Random

CO18

Smash Hero
90 percent of the time it will be...
Items:Off (Maybe SmashBall)
Stage: Random
Character: Dedede :)

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Items: on
Stage: Probubly battlefield
Character: Pit (Fallen angel)

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
can't say for sure until i've played the game for a while. But thus far it seems like the majority of my matches will be:

stock: 4
time: none
items: almost all on, very low
stages: almost all on, random

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Items: Usually just smash balls and assist trophies on very low.

Stage: Battlefield and New Pork City

Character: Most likely Lucas

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
I think both sides should just learn to respect each other. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY TO PLAY SMASH. STOP ARGUING IF TOURNEY OR CASUAL PLAY IS BETTER.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
I hope they put in king of the Hill Mode...
actually i would play that as a mode i made up. basically a time match where in every stage theres a certain spot thats the hill. if ur standing on that at the end you win. you should try it sometime.

as for the topic: most of the time itll be 5 lives with smash balls on very low at final destination. but ill also do all items at random stages often.

courte

Smash Lord
ugh can't believe i have to state this... similar to in Halo, where standing in one particular VERY SMALL area would earn you points as time goes on. Of course it is basically advanced time mode. although titan 05 i do like the joke lol

even in the melee handbook they said "Try different game play, like go to DK stage and play King of the hill on the rock"... in giant/tiny melee with super/poison mushrooms back then and today the idea is wtf for that one little area but now it could be really fleshed out

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Items off
Stages: Neutral ones would be best.
Character: Fox, Mario, Bowser

As for my playstyle, I am determined to become a very technical player, using all available advanced techniques to their maximum potential.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Depending on my mood, I'll have items on, CERTAIN ones, that is. I'll use more stages than I have with melee, and I'll no doubt be using either Lucas or Olimar.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I'll be doing SSE mostly, but for multiplayer, I'll have
stock: 3
time: none
items/smashballs: all on
stages: all
i'll turn off items after i play with them on for a while

Konwukulups

Smash Cadet
Stocks: 7
Item Switch: All items, very low
Stages: Random with probably half turned off. (After I get my fill of the goofy stages)

I think both sides should just learn to respect each other. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY TO PLAY SMASH. STOP ARGUING IF TOURNEY OR CASUAL PLAY IS BETTER.
No one said anything about Tournament play or Casual play being better than the other. This is personal preference, and you're just attempting to start an argument for no particular reason. Please, try to read next time.

I'll have Items on for the time being (for a few weeks or as long as a month). Afterwords, it wiwll be tournament style play, and occasional friendly play with the only item being on is the Smash Ball.

Baconater

Smash Cadet
Well it depends on the match for me. I'll definately have some tournament style rules of course. 4 Stock No Items, Smash balls we'll see. But then I'll also have Giant Melee with only bowser and the two items on very high be smash balls and mushrooms (SUPER GIANT GIGA BOWSER). Smoke matches with a ton of smashballs of course. But those are both novelty games, they won't be fun constantly. With a couple friends we'll end up playing no items tournament rules for sure. For random fun? All items on default setting but no time limit just 10 stock each until we learn the game well enough to make decisions from there.

IWANTHOTDOG

Smash Apprentice
With my friends, ittle be random non annoying maps with all the cool items on. But when I'm playing for real, I'll play without items but still on most stages.

Mainly battlefield just cause I love how it looks now. The old battlefield was way to depressing and this one much happier :) Just like good ole' dream land.

dinofan01

Smash Rookie
I never considered myself a hardcore Smash player. I just like to have fun with it and play my friends. But doesnt mean im bad or anything. So Ill just stick to a couple of items (the ones that are not useless). Ill play with mario and have 3 minute matches. Im really not going to care what arena i play in since they all look good so far

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
By myself I'll probably be playing with everything on. Most likely with Fox because I've played as him since 64.

When I play with my casual friends I'll be playing with most of the items on. Maybe taking of a couple that we all don't like. Most of my friends don't like the healing items.

When I play with my tournament friends I'll play with however the tournament rules form for Brawl. It may take a while for that to happen though. For all we know a fair portion of the items may make it tournament legal this time around. Same with stages since Fox can't waveshine any more. [Not that I could ever waveshine to begin with. lol. I'm not THAT good at Melee. My reflexes could use some improvement.]

Kingkiron

Smash Rookie
Items off (maybe smash ball)

Stage - Past Stages (starfox melee stage, hyrule) a FD clone stage if need be, and a stage that looks like FD fused with battlefield

Character - Yoshi

Suska

Smash Apprentice
I promised my first match to one of my friends, so it'll probably be a typical 4 stock, no items, brawl. But after that lots of FFA, 5 stock, items on, smashball on!!!

kookekooke

Smash Rookie
Stock: 5
Time: 00.00
Items: All on
Character: Random
Stage: random

Yeah, I went there. :laugh:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
For FUN
You know, casual gameplay, messing around, etc.

Time: 2:00
stock: 3
Items: All On
Stages: Whatever I feel like

Basically, anything goes

Competitive
The name says it all

Time: 2:00
Stock: 3
Items: None except smash Ball on Low
Stages: Final Destination OR Custom Stage

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
COM matches:

I'm going to make some ZANY stages for use in COM matches/casual matches.

1: Custom stage where the bottom and sides are lined with spikes, and there are only moving platforms. For use as an aerial combat training facility.

2: Stage almost completely covered in ladders. This ought to be fun.

Casual: Probably anything goes.

Competitive: No offense to competitive players, but I shy away from no items on flat stages. I perform perfectly well (better than usual, actually) under these conditions, but I prefer the chaos that is the default SSB experience.

Preferred characters: Anybody with multi-jump. Always have, always will.

Rules: Untimed stock FFA matches. I almost ALWAYS win at survival, and I almost NEVER win in timed FFA matches. If one-on-one, I'll allow time.

...unfortunately, my siblings always insist on no items with random stage and two minute point matches.

LuigiTendo

Smash Apprentice
Lol at those who don't like to use items much...such a shame, for items are a HUGE part of why Smash Bros is so GREAT! I LOVE ITEMS! But at a moderate rate. Not high, not low, just in the middle. ALL items!

I think it makes the gameplay more interesting, but does in the end, limit your skills...no matter!

Stock: 5
Stage: Delfino Plaza *Where else would I go? 8)
Items: Moderate
Char: Pit, Ike, or Sheik

Heretique

Smash Apprentice
I'll play with items on mostly, but with items off for intense matches. Usually would play with 3 or 4 stock.

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
I think I'll probably do it the same way I do melee. All items on except spinner, party ball, rocket barrel, mr. saturn, and fan. Most moving stages turned off in random strange select, even though I don't ever USE random select... and switch between 10-15 stock matches and 5:00 smash fests.

I also have a "house rule" that you aren't allowed to use recolors except for black and white Kirby unless two people are using the same character. That just bugs me, I'm not sure why.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I'll play brawl probably the same way I play Melee:
5 stock matches
Varying between normal and lightning speed (long story)
Varying item switch/no items. items are useful at times, but for me, the best use for almost any item is to throw it at the opponent (as a Link player, its instinct from the bombs)
Simple stages; no or few hazards

Top Bottom