• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make your charactor run slower !

Reese

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if this is new (It's probably not). I searched about this technique and couldn't find anything (wtf is says something about spam ). So dont flame me if this is known (Some of you probably will anyways >_>).

Its a well known fact if you crouch while running, you will stop running and crouch <_<.
However, if you move your thumb (on the grey control stick), halfway between the whatever direction you are going and down on the control stick, you will make your charactor run slower. It is not a huge change, but it is noticeable.

If you still cant do this, imagine the control stick as a clock, in which up on the control stick is 12 o'clock, down is 6 o'clock, right is 3 o'clock, and left is 9 o'clock. If you are dashing right, put your thumb at 4:30 o'clock (yes i know i just said 4:30 o'clock). If you are dashing left put your thumb at 7:30 o'clock (>_>).

As far as I know you can cancel your regular dash, and start doing this slower dash. I havent been able to cancel the slow dash and do regular dashing thou. You can also dash-dance while doing this.

If this technique doesnt have a name (Itprobably does) You guys can are welcome to try and name it (The best name I could think of is slow waltz... To go along with fox trot)

If you could think of a way to use this move in a serious match please post it here, because I honestly cant think of a way to use this.

okay... let the posting begin !! (or flaming w/e)

Reese

Smash Journeyman
@thatsmybutta Okay I disagree. You must care about this topic a little because you just took about 10 seconds to post about it.

Thanks pdk. I figured a move like this would already be known, but I had to be sure about it thou.

Banksya

Smash Ace
the fact that this game is about speed most of the time doesn't lend itself to this technique, maybe for some gay *** mindgame? idk

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I ever noticed this before, so news to me.
But I did know about the so called stickywalk, another way to get your character to run slower.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Just so you know, the slower run results not from the angle of the control stick, but simply because the horizontal vector is smaller. If you simply held the control-stick half-way to the right instead of all the way right and down, you will find you go the same speed.

And so your thread boils down to this: The farther to the sides from neutral you hold the control stick, the faster you will move in that direction. This has no name, because it's obvious and pretty much the first thing you learn about melee, along with jabbing.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
I heard that there are some who run so slow that they travel backwards.

It's only a legend.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
If it was useful, it could be given a name.

But hey, it's Reese. He's from Edmonton. I have to show love <333

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I heard that there are some who run so slow that they travel backwards.

It's only a legend.
It's no myth just watch Zelda run in her dress is just sad....

Anyways this is pretty basic as the people above me pointed out and I really think it can't be used as a mind game except maybe for running into a charging up smash attack and right before getting in range slowly down a bit.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
seriously, if u have nothing good to say to other people who posts stuff like this, then dont say anything at all.

try to act mature maybe? kthxbye

i remember seeing this on vids before, i forgot whose marth, but it looked so cool since his dashdance was moving like a ninja with different speeds. :p

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hmm that might work... or maybe just to mess with them by throwing off the pace of the game, i know a lot of people especially marth users.. feel a certain rhythem in the game, anything to stop that might be good..

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I could see how everyone could scoff at this until some honest-to-goodness badass came along and used it in some nutty mindgame and won. This sounds like it'd be useful out of dashdancing, but only for quicker charachters. Like, if CF could greatly vary his speed in and out of the DD while still being able to throw out a nair or knee anytime, it'd be solid.

Top Bottom