• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining multiple characters

MT Williams

Smash Cadet
NNID
MTW829
3DS FC
2423-4493-5543
In competitive play, would it be wise to use more than 1 character in order to have more of a variety in strategy and match ups?

or would it be best to master just one character to the fullest?

...or does it depend on the player?

Frogman751

Smash Cadet
Obviously the more characters you play the less you are playing one character specifically. That being said, playing more than one character definitely isn't a bad thing. Playing other characters could help you learn the match up for when you play against that character with your main. Playing more than one character can expand your diversity of technical abilities (although brawl isnt that techy but im not going to get into that). Moreover, playing more than one character might even find you a new main or ,maybe an alt/2ndary char, or a character you might learn to use as a counter pick to a match up that may be particularly hard for your main, fill the gap if you will. You're only as strong as your weakest link. Let me know if you've got anymore questions.

Just for some background knowledge, essentially establishing my credibility, I'm mainly a melee player and I'm almost certainly top 15-20 (maybe even top 10 but its pushing it) players in western New York and I'm 17 years old, a senior in High School. I'm not tippy top of my play yet but I'm just starting to practice claw which may help in the future, I'm positive it'll pay off. I also find it fitting to mention that I live 15 minutes away from the 2nd/3rd best player in western new york and Ive been hanging out with him regularly, and I'm not really close to his level yet, but playing him will get me there. Just playing against him has improved my play significantly. My second favorite smash game is Project M for obvious reasons (I'm a melee player). Then Super Smash Bros. 64, offense ftw. Then probably Melee SD Remix, Super Smash Flash 2, Super Smash Bros Crusade, Super Smash Land, Super Smash Flash, Super Smash Clash (or Super Smash Bros. Clash), Super Smash Bros. NES, then Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, and finally...barwl. Obviously I am being facetious, otherwise I wouldn't have named off 13 unique Smash/Fan made Smash games just to make Super Smash Bros. Brawl my 14th favorite smash game. This being said though I am not a poor Brawl player for I am smart a smash player in general with good spacing and tech skill and knowledge, etc. Lets not forget to mention...I main metaknight...easymode...I'm just going to stop my rant here.

TL;DR
I am REALLY REALLY GOOD AT SMASH GAMES.
(or at least very knowledgeable about them)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When you're still learning how the game works at high level play, it's better to main one character while you learn to get better so you can put all your focus into learning that character's options, improve your technical skill and stuff. When you reach high level play, then you can choose secondary characters either for fun or for your main character's bad mu's. Imo, you shouldn't main anyone below Peach on the tier list. The worse your character is, the more limitations you will have and tournaments will be a lot more difficult. The best character to main is Metaknight because he can never be counterpicked (picking certain stages/characters to get an advantage on your opponent). Metaknight will always have the match up advantage vs every character and on every stage.

MT Williams

Smash Cadet
NNID
MTW829
3DS FC
2423-4493-5543
Solid advice. I'm staying away from Meta Knight though. Tournaments are over saturated with him and it's just unoriginal and boring

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
And that is why I find it a little bit pretentious that he sarcastically stated "Good luck on maining multiple characters."...
What makes you think it was pretentious? Maybe it was just trying to warn him that it's especially hard to be successful with multiple characters as opposed to just one or two.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Best advice, depends on the character. This late in the meta game it is pretty cut and dry which characters have better solo potential than others. Perhaps your main is better against some characters than a MU chart suggets, sometimes its worse than the chart suggests. Although, the chart holds some ground, a MU for instance that is 7-3 is tough even if you are the best player of that character and the opponent is a average-semi pro. I've lost for years against ics players, I picked up MK recently and have beaten the best ics in my state mulitple times now, a MU I dreaded since my solo main is D3. My main is D3 still but mk is my secondary and a solid back up.

My advice have back up characters if ur character historically doesn't place top 3 at NATIONALS. If it doesn't then have a secondary that deals with your bad MUs. I would limit your amount of characters to 2 or 3. Spreading your knowledge over too big of a range makes it hard to really figure out which characters you truly are comfortable using during tourneys. Not to mention the more time you spend with less characters the better they are. Quality over Quantity.

Edit: Reading your post I can relate, I tried avoiding MK for years. Then I started playing it and it honestly just makes sense to use him. The last tourney I won I had to resort to some mk dittos. If you can play better than your opponent, then you shouldn't let a character disadvantage be the deciding factor in who usually wins. MK is pretty darn close to d3 in terms of usability and I used to use marth back in melee competitively so he feels like a mix between melee marth and d3. MK is my secondary as I enjoy using d3 more and feel more confident with him, but I'm tired of letting pride get in the way of past wins I should've had in MUs that are complete ass since thats all people try to do, just take the easy route and try to pick a character that the MU chart says should win so thats my reasoning.

It took about a month to get my mk tourney quality, mostly just relying off some videos that I watched and some essentials learned from d3 obviously and remembering mk playstyles I fought against. The point of a secondary in this case is to choose a character that backs my main up in the least amount of time spent on this game practicing as possible because we all know learning a character from scratch that does not fit your playstyle initially takes a LONG time.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I main a lot of characters and I'm bad. Take this one datum however you will

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
There are pros and cons to both sides.

Me personally- I play melee. I usually main Falcon, but I've been playing more Falco and Doc recently. When I switch characters after using someone for a while I keep throwing moves like I'm still playing the same character. For example, down smashing with Falcon after playing Doc for a while. Once I realize I'm doing this I correct it quickly, but it is still a drawback I experience.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
me using pikachu: "THAT'S NOT PK FIRE!!!"

me using jigglypuff: "THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT STONE!!!"

Thor

Smash Champion
Advice you probably know already but I'll say anyway:

Pick a main, whomever, then learn MK as a backup if you want to avoid bad MUs. Just be warned that everyone who has dreams of playing competitively has cooked up strategies (some effective, some not) to deal with MK.

If you want even with MK you have 2 choices (if you believe the MU chart): MK or Pikachu (again, if you believe the MU chart - I know many don't).

Now for actual advice:

Diddy/Pikachu covers every MU so there are no disadvantages (but Diddy goes even with Marth, Olimar, ICs, and a lot of his strategies are not so good against Peach so you'll need to adapt for that MU). Pikachu is +2 on both Snake and Falco (if you believe MU chart and my data isn't old) because of chaingrabs and Pikachu being annoying for Snake to hit, and it's written on the chart that Pikachu/MK is 0. Note that Diddy requires very fine item control and Pikachu is considered by a lot of Pikachu mains to be very complex, so playing Diddy well and Pikachu proficiently would be impressive. Also note that your Diddy needs to be able to beat at worst a counter-picked MK - people are just as apt to counter-pick to avoid bad MUs as you might be, and that MU is -1 - it should be hopefully doable if you're playing someone with similar skill (especially if they aren't as good with items as you). For an example of very good item control, I'm positive I've seen a Salem vs ADHD match somewhere - might be worth your while to see the kind of item skills top-level Diddy involves.

Alternatively, Falco/TL/Marth covers all the bases except MK (for MK banned/hating Diddy or Pikachu) - Falco is solid and nice tricks, while TL/Marth deal with ICs/Pikachu respectively (I'd say Olimar over Marth, but Olimar is probably much harder to learn).

-------
For those who can't be bothered to read long stuff:
Diddy/Pikachu covers every MU at 0, assuming you accept the MU chart as is [Pikachu covers Falco, Snake, and MK].
Falco/Peach covers every MU except MK (probs only MK banned, or else I'd say use TL instead because that MU vs MK is slightly less awful at the expense of Pikachu being a little bit harder) [the backup here covers ICs/Pikachu].
You should be able to fight MK competently with all your characters anyway because people might counterpick MK on you (in MK-legal settings).

Random thing: Maybe I don't know he's a troll, but it's also possible Richard 89 wasn't sarcastic, as in like, good luck, I hope you can avoid MK too, or whatever.

Random afterthought - I think Peach is a rather arbitrary line to draw, but I agree with the sentiment - there are so many hard MUs in the bottom half of the chart. Those characters also all require vastly different styles to compensate for weaknesses - I'd give examples but this post is long enough as is.

I think the idea of maining is a misnomer these days. Ultimately, when you play the smash brothers game whether its with Jiggs or Falco you really have to know the mechanics of the game and general properties of all characters to play against them effectively. Basically, its what was stated before. You really just need to stick to one character to start-up and gain your smash bros mechanics exposure. After a long time whether it be years or a few months depending upon your dedication you will simply know how the game works and will really just be able to pick-up any character after awhile. At that point, its mostly just practicing with said character to get use to them. As in you might have a better intuitive sense about what to do in many situations when you use a character you are most familiar with.

I have seen too many people who place top 32 in nationals switch to a different character after playing one character for years. Ally (w/e his name is now) did that with Snake and has used multiple characters in tourney before if I recall like Wario or Lucario and Falcon for low tier tourneys. Taj (Mewtwo -> Marth), PP (gaining marth), mango (jiggs -> spacies), Armada (picking up TL).

Once you actually know how the game mechanics work would you be able to proficiently be able to pick-up a character randomly and use it well without much practice. But, that day probably will not be for years. You might think you know how the game works, but don't fool yourself. If you randomly play with people and attend tournaments sporadically playing all the smash games in both teams, singles, and custom for like 2+ years, then I would say you are well learned.

Horrigan

Smash Rookie
Just learn everyone, helps you understand the game more and you might find someone you particularly like whilst going through the characters.

I'd say Olimar over Marth, but Olimar is probably much harder to learn
No. Marth is widely accepted to be one of the hardest characters to be proficient with at a top level, due to his demand for pinpoint spacing, ability to read DI and a way to adapt his recovery from average to hard to deal with. Olimar on the other hand is "point C stick at bad guy". Pikmin management is really not that difficult either. There's a reason the US has had so few top level marths.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
You're tackling a mob of 39 characters. Logically you choose the size of your party based on how well you can control that crowd with them. Whether it's 3 characters that cover all your matchups, or one that doesn't have the kind of bad MU's you would have a problem trying to deal with.

Horrigan

Smash Rookie
You're tackling a mob of 39 characters. Logically you choose the size of your party based on how well you can control that crowd with them. Whether it's 3 characters that cover all your matchups, or one that doesn't have the kind of bad MU's you would have a problem trying to deal with.

Oh no, I don't mean MAIN all the characters. Just go into some matches with friends and play with them all, learn the absolute basics with them, and just see who appeals the most. Learning the fundamentals of the cast isn't actually that time consuming - just reading each character's guide would do.

Though it should be noted that people like Atomsk have done quite well playing far more than just 2 or 3 characters. Not all 39, lol, but you know what I mean.

Thor

Smash Champion
Horrigan said:
Marth is widely accepted to be one of the hardest characters to be proficient with at a top level, due to his demand for pinpoint spacing, ability to read DI and a way to adapt his recovery from average to hard to deal with. Olimar on the other hand is "point C stick at bad guy". Pikmin management is really not that difficult either. There's a reason the US has had so few top level marths.
Eh, fair enough. I will say that Olimar struggles to make his recovery "hard to deal with" much more so than Marth, as Olimar must be very very patient with his jump (it's literally eat his jump, hit him far enough away he can't land on stage, and grab the ledge - he'll need a purple to knock someone with side+B off if I'm not mistaken.) And I guess at the easiest level your Pikmin management can just be "throw away the white ones" so that your smashes are going to KO when they connect.
Also, I do agree a player should learn each character, at least the basics and well-used metagame tricks. Understanding that a good Link is going to try to zair you a lot makes winning the MU a lot easier. Doesn't matter that an MU is -3 if they've practiced it with dedication and you just said, "meh, it's -3," [although I'm sure you knew that already.]

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No. Marth is widely accepted to be one of the hardest characters to be proficient with at a top level, due to his demand for pinpoint spacing, ability to read DI and a way to adapt his recovery from average to hard to deal with. Olimar on the other hand is "point C stick at bad guy". Pikmin management is really not that difficult either. There's a reason the US has had so few top level marths.
Nah that's bull****
the hardest character to be proficient with is Ganondorf, the easiest is Meta Knight

Marth is just overrated so people think he's hard, when in actuality he's just not as good as people think, so they need to put in more effort to win with him than Diddy/Snake/Falco/etc... players do

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Picking others characters is definitely a good idea,you're not going to forget how to play with a X character if you start learning with Y.

Keep in mind one thing: it's important that you pick a character that's confortable and fun for you,I tried to pick Lucario twice but It wasn't really a good idea for me because I don't like his moveset at all,it's not fun for me.

Currently I main Ness,Kirby and Yoshi,not the best characters,but I have lots on fun with them.

Horrigan

Smash Rookie
Nah that's bull****
the hardest character to be proficient with is Ganondorf, the easiest is Meta Knight

Marth is just overrated so people think he's hard, when in actuality he's just not as good as people think, so they need to put in more effort to win with him than Diddy/Snake/Falco/etc... players do

Yea, I don't disagree with this at all. Totally agree that Ganon is the hardest, I just mean that to be a top level Marth you require a lot more effort than to be a top level Olimar. I don't think I mentioned how good Marth is, but for what it's worth, I think he's barely top ten.

Horrigan

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say he's "one of the hardest to be proficient with" then...?

I'm not really talking about proficiency, more so efficiency. As you said, it's way harder to win tournaments or rank well with Ganon than it is Marth, meaning he (and thus every character below Marth) is much harder to be proficient with. But I'm referring more to the gap in skill between an average marth and a top level marth, and how that gap is bigger than it is for most other characters (though maybe not most now I think about it). Not the gap in skill between a top level marth and a top level olimar, if that makes sense.

Nah that's bull****
It seems like you are saying something that literally means one thing, but you believe it means another when it does not.

Proficient = "competent or skilled in doing or using something."
Ganon is not particularly complex compared to other characters. He has so few manageable options that he becomes very simplistic in game play.

Therefore, I think its very difficult to be successful with Ganon, but not very difficult to become proficient at him simply due to his lack of options. Unless you want to call recognizing his options as being proficient otherwise I think that is just a smart player. As an opposite example I say it is quite difficult to become proficient with ICs compared to ganon.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Skill is not a measure of how many buttons you can press, or how complicated your play is; skill is a measure of how good you are at winning.

Ganondorf is the most difficult character to win with, he requires the most skill to win with and, therefore, is the most difficult character to be proficient with.
That's assuming you believe Ganon is the worst character of course, I think Zelda is worse.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
YESTERDAY IN A DOUBLES MATCH WITH 2 PEACHES, I, AS KIRBY, REPEATEDLY USED GROUNDED STONE, AND ANGRILY SHOUTED "THATS NOT A TURNIP!" DONT MAIN MULTIPLE CHARACTERS UNLESS YOOU WANT TO END UP MEASURING YOUR SELF WORTH BY THE NUMBER OF LIKES YOU RECEIVE ON SMASHBOARDS

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
In competitive play, would it be wise to use more than 1 character in order to have more of a variety in strategy and match ups? or would it be best to master just one character to the fullest?
I think of it this way.

Say I'm a Snake main about to face a Pikachu main, which in this case is Snake's worst match-up. But lucky me! I just happen to know how to use Olimar, which is Pikachu's hardest match-up. So he picks Pikachu and let's say he beats me game one. I can counterpick Olimar and more than likely have a higher chance of beating Pikachu than I would with Snake.

Now if you main someone like, say, Marth. He really only has two slightly disadvantageous match-ups, Metaknight and Dedede. In this case it's not a bad idea to just stick with Marth, because you can learn how to handle the Metaknight match-up over time and personally move that -1 to a 0.

tl;dr I pick my first character from my list of mains (:metaknight: :marth: :snake:), then I pick my secondary in a way to cover the disadvantageous match-ups of that character, if any.

Top Bottom