• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main Limit

Ideal main count?

• Total voters

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
Maybe more like a spouse, you can only have one spouse, but you can cheat on your spouse, or divorce it for a new spouse, but you can't really have two at a time.
Yes, you can actually, it's called polygamy or polyamory if marriage is not involved. And if you have multiple kids or spouses would you really go "yeah, but this kid is my main kid" or "this is my main spouse" if that isn't the mutual arrangement? This analogy is just bad. Let's just leave the idea of mains up to what the player is comfortable with.

To some it's who their best with, to others it's who they like to use the most, ideally both. That can happen with more than one character. Multiple main characters can exist. People don't always have to make binary and clear one thing decisions. Not everyone lives or thinks that way, and the word main and term main allows for that in its plural form.

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
I only ever learn one character in each game and then I familiarize myself with the bad matchups ASAP. Yes, they're uphill battles, but if you at least know what your best options are you can curb them to an extent.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
My top 5 most used characters in particular order:

5) :4pacman: used 146 times
4) :4duckhunt: used 190 times
3) :4sonic: used 279 times
2) :4lucina: used 322 times
1):4greninja: used 548 times

As you can see, my true main is Greninja and I personally define that there is only one true main, the others are secondaries and tertiaries and below. The way I see it, a main is a character you not only perform the best with, but would also DEPEND on if the situation calls for it such as if you're in a tournament, there's a money match you're in, your life is on the line (like that'd ever happen though), or any other way the stakes are high. A 2ndary or anything lower could be a back up in case your primary character isn't working well in a matchup, or in my case a character you find fun but is either less viable competitively or you just aren't as good with. If I were betting for a million bucks, I would use only Greninja for better chances of victory.

For a full team of favorite, I'd personally not recommend having anymore than 4 or 5, since playing multiple characters would detract from time you can practice with the ones you're already playing and make you progress through the game a lot slower. Unfortunately I tend to get bored using just my top 5 all the time and am prone to using characters outside of my list, and sometimes get an urge to add at least 1 or 2 to my team later in the future::rosalina::4jigglypuff::4robinm::4bowserjr::4falco::4ness::4littlemac::4wiifit::4palutena::4zss::4charizard:

I shouldn't be playing these guys too when I want to get great at the game, but I can't help it and end up doing so anyway. At least I know better than to use these characters ina tournament though.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
People can have more than one main character.
Yes, but that's not what 'main' stands for. It means specifically 'the one character I stick to'. You are talking about "characters I use", which is the context for which your points work. I am not saying players cannot use more than one character, I'm saying if you do stick to just one character then bam, you have a main.

That's the point of the word, to distinguish the cases of someone who plays multiple characters versus the rare players who only play one character and know everyone about them and will even play their bad matchups with them much of the time, because that player is defined by their main.

As someone said above, most people here don't actually have multiple mains because it takes a lot of dedication to truly be at that place with even one character - where your muscle memory is in line with their movement and frame data. Most people here who say they main 3-15 characters are in reality simply saying they play 3-15 characters and use them competitively. That's an incredibly normal and average statement of reality to make - it's perfectly fine to use more than one character.

The issue is when we try to make it sound like we're at the level with those 3-15 characters as people who only play one character (the people who actually have a main). That's the issue with the misuse of the word 'main'. When we say we have 5 mains, we are inaccurately communicating and passing off that we have the same focus to those 5 characters as the players who actually truly have a main.

There is no need to use the word 'main' in these instances. By doing so, we fluff things up for no good reason. It's fine to use 3 characters competitively and call it what it is. Calling them all 'mains' is just ignoring the reason the word is used in the first place.

We've turned the word 'main' into 'characters we use', which is meaningless. We don't have to dress things up. We're reducing the definition of a word that has specific meaning to one that has broad and applies-to-everyone-ever meaning. Being someone who actually has one main now sounds worse than someone who claims they have four mains, when really the person who has four mains is using the word 'mains' incorrectly. They have four characters they use and spread their focus around.

A player who has a main is hugely different than a player who uses four characters. They are vastly different cases, and not simply a difference in the amount of characters the player uses. There's much more going on, and having a main means a lot more than "oh, you only know how to use one character? Well I know how to use FOUR."

Someone who mains Lucario is very different to someone who uses Lucario, Robin, and Sheik. Because the second player does not main Lucario. Maining Lucario means you basically only use Lucario, and it means a very different thing in the competitive scene for any fighting or character-based game.

So why are we not just saying "I have four characters I use"? Because 'four mains' sounds cooler and more accomplished, that's it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've mostly been playing with Rosalina, but it's partly because she's one of the only characters I feel "plays just fine" with no C-Stick. I mean, she's one of the characters I feel will really benefit from it specifically. But I can control her really well without it.

I want to play a lot of Sonic too, because I recognise his buffs and all, but I just cannot do so well with him on 3DS, it is so easy to lose control of him, especially when you're online and you have lag to deal with.

Really, I do intend to look into more characters (I accidentally beat 9.0 Classic Mode with Greninja, soooo...colour me interested in him), but Rosalina is legitimately my favourite one to play as, and I doubt that will ever change...

...unless people cry about unnecessarily nerfing her too much and it actually has an effect, and that ends up removing what makes her fun.

Conda

Well then I must be in an open marriage.
The question moreso is if 'main' no longer means' the sole character someone uses', then what are we going to call the cases where someone only plays one character? Because those cases are a very big difference in any competitive game. If we are all feeling the need to say we have mains galore, then we do need a new word for the cases where a player is a sole user of a specific character.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The question moreso is if 'main' no longer means' the sole character someone uses', then what are we going to call the cases where someone only plays one character? Because those cases are a very big difference in any competitive game. If we are all feeling the need to say we have mains galore, then we do need a new word for the cases where a player is a sole user of a specific character.
If someone solely focuses on one character the majority of the time, that character is their "waifu" or "husbando". :I

Conda

If someone solely focuses on one character the majority of the time, that character is their "waifu" or "husbando". :I
Haha it seems that's the case in some instances :p

But really - now, with the new apply-all definition of 'main' (because everyone wants to have mains all of a sudden), if you say you main one character, you're simply saying you play one character. When 'having a main' is supposed to mean much more than that.

There's a reason people get excited when a player announces they will be maining a certain character. It doesn't simply mean "Oh, he'll be using that character sometimes now.", it means they are dedicating themselves fully to that character and will make them become second nature in every way. And that means something more than most people here mean when they say they have 10 mains. You have 10 characters you use, and it's fine to be literal and honest with wording. Using 10 characters is cool, you don't have to have a main if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
I think them saying they only main one character is indicative enough of the difference. People are already aware that maining multiple characters results in less perceived dedicated time because of time divided between the two, so there doesn't really need to be a special word. Yeah there's polygamous vs. monogamous but even if we didn't have those words to separate, we could still potentially draw conclusions from the sheer number.

If someone says they main 5 characters, we can perceive that there's a high possibility that they don't dedicate as much time and are not as masterful with each character individually without having to use different words or debate with them whether or not they truly main 5 characters.

In the end, competitive top players only ever have one or two mains to begin with, so we can draw conclusions on what more "mains" means from that. They won't be 100% right, but good enough.

Last edited:

Conda

I think them saying they only main one character is indicative enough of the difference. People are already aware that maining multiple characters results in less perceived dedicated time because of time divided between the two, so there doesn't really need to be a special word. Yeah there's polygamous vs. monogamous but even if we didn't have those words to separate, we could still potentially draw conclusions from the sheer number.

If someone says they main 5 characters, we can perceive that there's a high possibility that they don't dedicate as much time and are not as masterful with each character individually without having to use different words or debate with them whether or not they truly main 5 characters.

In the end, competitive top players only ever have one or two mains to begin with, so we can draw conclusions on what more "mains" means from that. They won't be 100% right, but good enough.
Fair enough. I think the issue is that, in this thread and others on this topic in the recent past, is that those who say they 'main 4 characters' or 'have four mains' are seen to be in a better position than those who actually have a main. It's seen as "you only play one character in the game, when there's 52 to choose from?" and "You only know how to play one character?"

Having a main means you went through the cast and dedicated yourself to improving and mastering one character to it's full potential. Saying we have FOUR mains is an attempt at likening ourselves to that level, yet with four characters. It comes from a place of not really being familiar with what really goes into having a main, and what that really means at a professional level.

We can't just say "yeah I've got 6 mains" without it sounding misleading because 'main' does not simply mean 'character you use'. It means you only use one. If you use two equally, then you don't have a main. If you use three equally, then you don't have a main. And it's not a big deal, it's fine to not have a main.

I think a lot of people are feeling pressured by others to have a main to be competitively viable as players, so they call the 4 characters they play 'mains' to bandage that pressure-caused worry. But you don't need to.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Haha it seems that's the case in some instances :p

But really - now, with the new apply-all definition of 'main' (because everyone wants to have mains all of a sudden), if you say you main one character, you're simply saying you play one character. When 'having a main' is supposed to mean much more than that.

There's a reason people get excited when a player announces they will be maining a certain character. It doesn't simply mean "Oh, he'll be using that character sometimes now.", it means they are dedicating themselves fully to that character and will make them become second nature in every way. And that means something more than most people here mean when they say they have 10 mains. You have 10 characters you use, and it's fine to be literal and honest with wording. Using 10 characters is cool, you don't have to have a main if you don't want to.
Well to make a comparison:

Sonic is the main character of Sonic Adventure, but that does not mean Tails, Knuckles, etc are unimportant, or that you won't spend quite a bit of time playing as those characters to beat the game.

Then you have games like the Mario & Luigi games, in which both Mario and Luigi are the main characters. They are both just as important to the game, as they work as a team.

I think the exact same logic can be applied to fighting game (or more specifically, Smash) players and their "mains" - their "mains" are simply the characters a person feels are most important to them within the context of this game.

Unlike the other games I listed prior, Smash doesn't have an actual, defined main character, even though some characters get top billing in promotional material. The other games I listed prior, have characters that are definitely more important than others. Tails and Knuckles carry big roles in Sonic Adventure. But Sonic has the largest role, and saves the day in the end. Even if you prefer Tails or Knuckles, as characters or just their gameplay, Sonic is still more important than them. You spend the most time with Sonic. Tails has 5 short stages and a few bosses to fight. Sonic has 10 longer stages and a number of bosses to fight. Sonic is by far the character you spend the most time with in the game, no matter what you think of him. He's the "main" character. He has the most gameplay time, the most story screen time, and is in general the big hero of the game, even though everyone else does do their part.

Smash doesn't force you to play any single character more than the other (at least not in the long run). It's entirely up to you who you spend your time with. Therefore, your "mains" are just the characters that you yourself endeavour to use most. Your reasoning for playing as these characters is irrelevant. You might play as Sonic because he's an energetic and endearing character to you, you might play as Rosalina because you related to the character a lot back in Super Mario Galaxy, you might play as ZSS most because you like staring at her butt, or you might like to play as Fox the most because he's a character you have practiced with in every Smash game and his easy to grasp yet incredibly versatile and difficult to master tool set fits you more than anyone else, even though you've never touched a Star Fox game.

So yeah, people can have as many mains as they want, and can have them for whatever reason. There really is no limit other than the ones people enforce on themselves. And in relation to that, I say know your limits, but do not limit yourself.

Conda

Well to make a comparison:

Sonic is the main character of Sonic Adventure, but that does not mean Tails, Knuckles, etc are unimportant, or that you won't spend quite a bit of time playing as those characters to beat the game.

Then you have games like the Mario & Luigi games, in which both Mario and Luigi are the main characters. They are both just as important to the game, as they work as a team.

I think the exact same logic can be applied to fighting game (or more specifically, Smash) players and their "mains" - their "mains" are simply the characters a person feels are most important to them within the context of this game.

Unlike the other games I listed prior, Smash doesn't have an actual, defined main character, even though some characters get top billing in promotional material. The other games I listed prior, have characters that are definitely more important than others. Tails and Knuckles carry big roles in Sonic Adventure. But Sonic has the largest role, and saves the day in the end. Even if you prefer Tails or Knuckles, as characters or just their gameplay, Sonic is still more important than them. You spend the most time with Sonic. Tails has 5 short stages and a few bosses to fight. Sonic has 10 longer stages and a number of bosses to fight. Sonic is by far the character you spend the most time with in the game, no matter what you think of him. He's the "main" character. He has the most gameplay time, the most story screen time, and is in general the big hero of the game, even though everyone else does do their part.

Smash doesn't force you to play any single character more than the other (at least not in the long run). It's entirely up to you who you spend your time with. Therefore, your "mains" are just the characters that you yourself endeavour to use most. Your reasoning for playing as these characters is irrelevant. You might play as Sonic because he's an energetic and endearing character to you, you might play as Rosalina because you related to the character a lot back in Super Mario Galaxy, you might play as ZSS most because you like staring at her butt, or you might like to play as Fox the most because he's a character you have practiced with in every Smash game and his easy to grasp yet incredibly versatile and difficult to master tool set fits you more than anyone else, even though you've never touched a Star Fox game.
I am not and never said I was speaking about 'main' as a word in the english dictionary for general use in gaming or media. I'm talking about how it is used to specify that you only play one character/class in competitive gaming. It's one of the many words that has a specific use in this context. Since this is the competitive subforum, it's perfectly fine for me to be pointing this out. Otherwise I'd let the general use of the word continue.

So yeah, people can have as many mains as they want, and can have them for whatever reason. There really is no limit other than the ones people enforce on themselves. And in relation to that, I say know your limits, but do not limit yourself.
People can play as many characters they like. Who is saying otherwise? If you think that's at all what I was saying, then I have to clarify- it was not. I wrote enough on this that it should be obvious what I'm talking about. If anything, I'm a broken record.

You can't just call your favourite characters your 'mains' - in a competitive discussion forum, there is a specific context to certain words. MAIN and STUN and SHORT HOP and many other words all have contextual meaning here. You cannot have as many mains as you want, because that word is limited to one character in this context.

That's why 'secondary main' is a term. Do you think people say "secondary main" just because it's fun to say? It has a meaning the same way "main" has meaning. It does not mean 'character I use', and you can't use it interchangeably in this way.

Since this is the competitive subforum, somebody had to come in and say "Hey guys, we're using that competitive gaming term incorrectly here." It's not a big deal and semantics, but it matters as much as anything else.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I am not and never said I was speaking about 'main' as a word in the english dictionary for general use in gaming or media.
Who said it doesn't work though?

Your main/s is simply the character/s you spend the most time with. Competitively or non-competitively. It's that simple. Smash gives you the freedom to make any character your main in either context. My previous post's message does not become void in the competitive context, it is universally applicable to all uses of the term "main character".

Main character in a story: Character with the most time spent on them in terms of character development or POV.
Main character in a game (in general): The character you spend the most time playing as, by choice or otherwise.
Main character in a competitive game: The character you spend the most time playing/practicing as at a competitive level.

The key term in relation to "main" here is "time". No matter what setting we are discussing, the word "main" means the same thing - the thing with most time spent elaborating/exploring/expanding it, or the thing with the most attention pointed towards it. Be that elaborating on the character's background in a story, exploring a world as a character and figuring out how that character gets around the world, or expanding your skills in a competitive game.

The dictionary definition of the word works fine, and all of the same formal logic applies when discussing the word "main" in the fighting game/competitive context. The word means the same thing.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Holy crap, why are you two arguing about the definition of a word? This isn't Linguistics class.

As for the characters, here's my method of how I chose a main and secondary, with examples:
  1. Play around with the cast, get an idea of what you have available to you.
  2. Once you find a character you really like, focus on that one character as your main first. In my case, this was :4shulk:
  3. Get some games going with said characters against friends, Smash communities (online or local, whichever you prefer and have available), etc. Check out Anther's ladder too.
  4. Analyze how you're doing with said character. Save replays, re-watch them, ask yourself what you could be doing, poke around boards.
  5. If you feel you need another character, or if you feel you need to switch / try another, go for it. I ended up switching to :4fox: and am doing better with him than I would've ever done if I had exclusively stuck with Shulk.
In the end, my main is :4fox:. My secondary is :4shulk:.

However, there are a bunch of other characters that I learned some things about while playing around with the roster. Would I consider using them in a tourney? Unless there was something about the matchup that I knew I would be comfortable with, probably not: I don't really feel comfortable picking :4link: or :4samus: in a serious match over :4fox: or :4shulk:. I certainly have fun playing around with other characters though: you also need a breather once in a while from your own main and secondary

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
In a simple game like this, I don't see why you can't main as many as five or six characters. Other games would require quite the time investment. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

When you commit to one character (and even one game) seriously, there's a kind of cohesion to your actions, and you more than don't have to think about them. Your style is molded for the character and your reaction time increases. All the matchup experience that contributes to that isn't divided up, you quickly rack up hours. Tiers, imbalance, no longer matter, since there's one character you're choosing. You can pour hours into developing your own tricks and tactics instead of copying other people with things they've already seen before. Smash games especially force you into snap judgments of unique situations, which favors amassing experience, since that familiarizes you with possible scenarios.

The tradeoff is a lack of perspective. It's easier to read your opponent if you understand what it's like to play to their character. Thinking about what their decision-making process is is faster when you've gone through the same thing. Other characters also might give you other ideas of how to play your main. Even other games that favor different aspects of fighting games along with their metagame and culture will show you strategies and concepts that may be applicable to your game.

Conda

The tradeoff is a lack of perspective. It's easier to read your opponent if you understand what it's like to play to their character. Thinking about what their decision-making process is is faster when you've gone through the same thing. Other characters also might give you other ideas of how to play your main. Even other games that favor different aspects of fighting games along with their metagame and culture will show you strategies and concepts that may be applicable to your game.
True, but playing other characters when not competing is part of training yourself to master your main. You cannot master your main if you do not research, play, and understand other characters in the game. Having a main doesn't stop us from playing with other characters too for practice purposes or whatnot.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have three mains; Link, Lucario, and Dark Pit. I feel like two just isn't enough, but three is a nice, round number that adds a ton of variety. I also like to play matches as 2 out of 3, so I have a different character to use for each match.

I might sometimes use Charizard, Robin, and Lucina on For Glory, but I don't use them in super-serious matches, especially not Charizard(poor guy will probably be low-tier).

Signia

Smash Lord
True, but playing other characters when not competing is part of training yourself to master your main. You cannot master your main if you do not research, play, and understand other characters in the game. Having a main doesn't stop us from playing with other characters too for practice purposes or whatnot.
Yeah, but the question is how much you need to understand each character. You definitely need to understand the opponent's move list and movement capabilities and how they play the matchup against you. But you don't need to know everything, and you don't need to play each character extensively to learn what you need to know. Should you know your main's frame data? Probably. Should you have every character's frame data memorized? In this game, that's probably not needed.

Sure, ideally you'd know every single character backwards and forwards. However, that takes several years, or maybe just months if you really dedicated yourself to research.

It's more accurate to say that researching and practicing with your main has much higher priority than learning the other characters beyond the basics. Even then, your knowledge should always be in reference to your main, since you only need to know how your main fights them, not how they fight everybody (again, it would be nice to know, but it's very low priority).

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Having a "main" never meant one sole character. That's just what YOU classify it as.

You can have 1 main, or 2 mains, or w/e you want.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Sheik, Greninja, Sonic, Diddy Kong, and Fox. Is 5 mains too many?

Do any of the characters have the same match-ups/role?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
This essentially boils down to the question of versatility vs. specialisation.

Though I would generally advise this was asked in an existing topic, i'll give my thoughts. :)

All 5 of these characters are good enough to generally cover each other, I doubt you'll have an issue with match-ups if you can perform with them all well enough.

But that's the issue - how much time can you afford to invest into each and would it have just been better to focus on less characters? I will say that I believe 5 is somewhat pushing the boundaries of co-maining; but I suppose it's possible. Generally I feel 2 or 3 co-mains would be your best bet and leave the others as secondaries/pocket characters you can pull out in specific match-ups. Ultimately it's up to you though; whether you feel you can train with them all to a good level and whether you feel that's necessary, for instance.

Hope that helps! :)

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I play DK, Jigglypuff, Falco and Villager all about the same amount...picking a main is hard - esp cause I like 5 other characters too

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
This essentially boils down to the question of versatility vs. specialisation.

Though I would generally advise this was asked in an existing topic, i'll give my thoughts. :)

All 5 of these characters are good enough to generally cover each other, I doubt you'll have an issue with match-ups if you can perform with them all well enough.

But that's the issue - how much time can you afford to invest into each and would it have just been better to focus on less characters? I will say that I believe 5 is somewhat pushing the boundaries of co-maining; but I suppose it's possible. Generally I feel 2 or 3 co-mains would be your best bet and leave the others as secondaries/pocket characters you can pull out in specific match-ups. Ultimately it's up to you though; whether you feel you can train with them all to a good level and whether you feel that's necessary, for instance.

Hope that helps! :)
Thanks, this helps a lot! I think it'll just take some time to narrow down the list. The release of the Wii U version will definitely help me decide who I feel most comfortable with. Also, versatility and specialization were the words I was looking for.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
As long as you're comfortable I don't think there can be "too many". You're lucky, I have the opposite problem. Lately I've been playing Villager at the expense of the rest of the cast. I'm bad at diversity

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
At this point, I have no idea how many characters I'll "main". I find the play styles for many characters to be very fun, but I'm also terrible with a lot of them. >_>

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Not sure whether or not it's good or bad. As Luco said, versatility vs. specialization.
For reference, I main RosaLuma, Marth, Lucina, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon. :p

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I personally main Yoshi, I second Lucina/Shiek, and I have Marth as a backup for certain matchups where spacing is important. Play who you want, of course it'll be easier to main less characters, but is it funner? That's the question I think is more important.

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Well, those characters are all hyper offensive close range characters. So your abilities and skills will probably stack.

If you said: Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik, Jiggilypuff, Villager, and Marth- I would be a little worried. But- hey- if you get really good with the six above, you'd probably be unstoppable. Diversity in style is both a good and bad thing. It's good because of matchup/ strategy options and bad because it takes way more time to master characters with different strategies.
But- yeah- don't let anyone stop you from maining a character. If you have fun as whatever characters, that should be enough justification in playing as them.

For the record, I'm trying to main ROB, Ike, Marth, Jiggilypuff (and trying out new character like Shulk and Robin), which may or may not be a good idea, depending on how you look at it.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Well, those characters are all hyper offensive close range characters. So your abilities and skills will probably stack.

If you said: Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik, Jiggilypuff, Villager, and Marth- I would be a little worried. But- hey- if you get really good with the six above, you'd probably be unstoppable. Diversity in style is both a good and bad thing. It's good because of matchup/ strategy options and bad because it takes way more time to master characters with different strategies.
But- yeah- don't let anyone stop you from maining a character. If you have fun as whatever characters, that should be enough justification in playing as them.

For the record, I'm trying to main ROB, Ike, Marth, Jiggilypuff (and trying out new character like Shulk and Robin), which may or may not be a good idea, depending on how you look at it.
That's a good point, that they all have pretty similar play styles. I still need more time to determine who I like the most. I may be able to narrow it down to at least 4. As for you I think your character pool has a lot of potential; I'm just not sure how they stand as of now. Ike is doing surprisingly good as of now, if you look Ryuga's play in Youmacon 2014.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Not sure whether or not it's good or bad. As Luco said, versatility vs. specialization.
For reference, I main RosaLuma, Marth, Lucina, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon. :p
Marth and Lucina? Is there one you like better?

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
As long as you're comfortable I don't think there can be "too many". You're lucky, I have the opposite problem. Lately I've been playing Villager at the expense of the rest of the cast. I'm bad at diversity
I though Sheik was gonna be the only one for me. But then I found out if you just start playing a character that you don't have to much interest in, you may change your mind about them. That was the case with Sonic, Diddy Kong, and Fox!

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just remember with the Wii U release (if you use a Gamecube controller) you may find other characters you haven't played before be easier to use / control and you may end up choosing a new main altogether. 5 mains can be a little much because the time spent learning them all could have been spent learning 1 sole character and working on matchups

Just how I think though, completely upto you

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Hey, just remember with the Wii U release (if you use a Gamecube controller) you may find other characters you haven't played before be easier to use / control and you may end up choosing a new main altogether. 5 mains can be a little much because the time spent learning them all could have been spent learning 1 sole character and working on matchups

Just how I think though, completely upto you
That will definitely help!

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I used to main a Shulk since I loved Xenoblade and I studied his moves once I played with him on Sm4sh, but then I quitted played him since I couldn't ever get him to play right, I seen people do the jump neutral a with a short hop and trying to risk to get a stock by using jump and Fair, I tried doing that but I always failed at it, then I knew shulk wasn't right for me, then I moved on to lucario, now im getting good with him since I love his aura effect, plus hes going to be my mega-main for ORAS.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Marth and Lucina? Is there one you like better?
I started out with Marth, but realized I'm better with Lucina in the matchups that are hard to space correctly. I only ever need to use her rarely, but she's there if I need her.

Blazin'

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blazin_Raisins
3DS FC
5429-7955-3271
From my understanding, a "main" is a character that you learn inside and out. A character that you perform well with, know all of their strengths/weaknesses, etc. With that in mind, someone could have multiple mains, two, five, or even more. Even if this wasn't the case, restricting yourself to one character is a pretty bad idea, imo.

Top Bottom