• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mad Scienstein: Combos, Concepts and Creativity

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Added matchup-specific information on the Wario Bike Ground-Only State to the OP.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Good stuff mijo, was looking through all the data last week and comparing ground vs air only hitboxes to see if it was useful.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Slightly confused. So when I jump off the bike pressing a or b instead of jump, it will leave Wario in a grounded state so when I get hit by certain moves it will have an effect that I'm hit as if I was in an aerial position?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you do the commands you suggested, moves that hit a certain way when they hit grounded opponents will always do that to Wario whether he's on the ground or in the air. There are multiple moves that act differently on opponents in the air than opponents on the ground.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yeah, my guess is that the non-jump input bike jump wasn't coded correctly to transition Wario between states, because think about it... there are only a few ways to go from ground to air really - jumping, falling off a platform, and getting knocked hit. We can assume those transitions are always coded correctly, but what about when a character (Wario) uses a special move that lets him enter the normal aerial state without inputting a real jump input?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This may throw a wrench in Sheik's D-Throw KO confirm off of a grab, specifically the D-Throw -> U-Air/Up-B guess.

Because U-Air will send you upward while this is active, instead of dragging you in whatever direction she's moving, DI the throw away (at a 10-degree angle downward if you want the maximum horizontal distance) and then mash the inputs to SDI toward the opposite direction horizontally to ready yourself for the U-Air. Because she has to run and jump forward to catch you with U-Air, her running momentum and U-Air's increased SDI multiplier may make it so that you can avoid the final hit of U-Air.

However, Sheik may be able to steer backward/jump earlier to beat that. Not sure because I don't have a Sheik to test it, myself. If that is the case, you could SDI away, and U-Air in itself becomes a potential 50/50. Up-B would then become less appealing to Sheik because we can attempt to avoid the U-Air while mashing double-jump, effectively making Up-B follow-ups impossible for Sheik and letting us get away with more airdodges in that scenario to avoid U-Air altogether.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I noticed you're missing Charizard on the list. Though looking at Kuroganehammer, I'm guessing he's irrelevant outside of his USmash being air only on frame 6.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was testing something else today and happened to find out that certain hitboxes listed as air-only will still hit Wario in the air while in the grounded state. Checked Master Core for weirdness and found that some moves have unknown ground/air flag parameters. For >99% of the moves in the game, a flag of 0x1 means Ground-Only, a flag of 0x2 means Air-Only, and a flag of 0x3 means Ground/Air. However, some moves have unknown parameters, such as Marth D-Air (flag of 0x8) and Palutena D-Air (flag of 0x6) which will still meteor you. I will update the list as I find stuff.

EDIT: I have no idea. This is giving me a headache. I'm going around testing individual options and it seems inconsistent. Lots of moves that are flagged as air-only still seem to hit Wario.

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
For that grounded bike technique, can you show visually the disadvantages it gives vs. DK or Ganondorf? I think those examples will be the easiest to understand

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A lot of moves seem to bypass this for reasons I don't understand. If any of you guys want to test the examples for me, I'd much appreciate it. This is stressful for me.

In other news, don't go Ground-Only against Jigglypuff, because apparently you can be put to sleep by Up-B in the air that way. :o

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Figured it would be good to have a list of moves that can hit Wario while he's hanging on the ledge, so I did that tedious work. Eventually I will color-code moves to show what is threatening and what is not.

Of note:
Captain Falcon D-Tilt has decent cooldown and U-Tilt cannot meteor you if you use the Ground-Only glitch.
(Dark) Pit has very limited options. D-Air requires him to be falling and D-Smash only really KOs on the back hit, which is Frame 18 and reactable with Back/Down.
Lucario's options are very limited to a point where it's likely easy to stall against him.
Mewtwo's options are very limited. F-Tilt sucks and both D-Smash and D-Air are laggy.
Pac-Man has no KO options while you're on the ledge. Easy stalling potential (not that Wario needed it).
Palutena is pretty limlted. D-Tilt and U-Smash are laggy, while falling D-Air is easy to see coming.
R.O.B. is pretty limited. D-Tilt doesn't set up into anything, sourspot F-Smash is incredibly weak, and the aerials are easy to see coming.
Robin isn't very threatening. D-Tilt doesn't lead into anything, D-Smash is laggy, and the aerials are easy to see coming.
Ryu's options are limited. While D-Smash is fast, it is laggy.
Sheik seems pretty limited! D-Tilt doesn't lead into anything significant, F-Air and D-Air require a landing aerial (and D-Air is laggy), and Down-B won't hit if you kick early, giving you time to react with Back/Down.
Wii Fit Trainer seems to hate this. D-Tilt does good damage but is somewhat laggy, and it's literally all she has that doesn't involve running offstage.

Moves that hit Wario while on the ledge
Outside of dive-kick D-Airs, the aerials assume that the opponent lands on the stage after/during the aerial.

Bowser: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (sourspot), F-Air, D-Air, Up-B (final hit)
Bowser Jr.: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, B-Air, D-Air, Up-B (explosion)
Captain Falcon: D-Tilt, U-Tilt, D-Air, Down-B (aerial)
Charizard: F-Tilt (down-angled), F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Dark Pit: D-Smash, D-Air
Diddy Kong: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, N-Air, D-Air, Forward-B (kick)
Donkey Kong: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air
Dr. Mario: F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, Forward-B, Up-B, Down-B (final hit)
Duck Hunt: Jab3, Rapid Jab finisher, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (sometimes), D-Smash
Falco: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air
Fox: U-Tilt (>:/), D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air,
Ganondorf: U-Tilt (lol), D-Tilt, Down-B (aerial), F-Air, D-Air
Greninja: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air, Neutral-B (fully-charged)
Ike: Jab3, F-Tilt (down-angled, perfectly spaced), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, U-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, D-Air, Neutral-B
Jigglypuff: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, D-Air, Forward-B
King Dedede: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (final hit) D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Up-B (lol)
Kirby: Rapid Jab finisher, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, D-Air, Up-B, Down-B (landing hitbox)
Link: Dash Attack (not up close), F-Tilt, D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air, Forward-B
Little Mac: D-Tilt, U-Smash (sourspot), D-Smash, D-Air, Forward-B (max distance)
Lucario: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Air, Neutral-B (shot @ 26+%, charge @ 111+%), Forward-B (~80+%)
Lucas: F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Smash, D-Smash, B-Air, D-Air
Lucina: D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Forward-B
Luigi: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, D-Air
Mario: F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt (>:/), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, Forward-B, Up-B (first hit)
Marth: D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Forward-B
Mega Man: U-Tilt (sourspot), D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air
Meta Knight: F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Mewtwo: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Smash, D-Air
Mii Brawler (minus specials): F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Air
Mii Gunner (minus specials) Jab1, D-Tilt, D-Smash, N-Air, D-Air
Mii Swordfighter (minus specials): Jab2, D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air (single hit), D-Air
Mr. Game and Watch: Jab1, F-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air, Down-B
Ness: Dash Attack (final hit), F-Tilt, D-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air, D-Air
Olimar: D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Pac-Man: Dash Attack (single hit), F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Air
Palutena: D-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Air
Peach: D-Tilt, D-Smash (single hit), F-Air, D-Air
Pikachu: Jab, F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash (final hit), Down-B
Pit: D-Smash, D-Air
R.O.B.: D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled, sourspot), N-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Robin: D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Forward-B (max range)
Rosalina and Luma: Dash Attack (first hit only), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, F-Air (linking hit), B-Air (Luma only), D-Air
Roy: D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air (sourspot), B-Air (sourspot), D-Air, Neutral-B, Forward-B
Ryu: D-Tilt (strong), D-Smash, D-Air
Samus: U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, F-Air (last hit), D-Air
Sheik: D-Tilt, F-Air, D-Air, Up-B, Forward-B, Down-B (only late in animation)
Shulk: D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash (final spin), N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Sonic: D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, B-Air, D-Air
Toon Link: Jab, F-Tilt, U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air
Villager: F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, D-Air, Down-B (falling tree only)
Wario: Jab (lol), Dash Attack, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash
Wii Fit Trainer: Jab3, D-Tilt
Yoshi: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Zelda: D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air, Up-B
Zero Suit Samus: D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air, Down-B

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Figured it would be good to have a list of moves that can hit Wario while he's hanging on the ledge, so I did that tedious work. Eventually I will color-code moves to show what is threatening and what is not.

Of note:
Captain Falcon D-Tilt has decent cooldown and U-Tilt cannot meteor you if you use the Ground-Only glitch.
(Dark) Pit has very limited options. D-Air requires him to be falling and D-Smash only really KOs on the back hit, which is Frame 18 and reactable with Back/Down.
Lucario's options are very limited to a point where it's likely easy to stall against him.
Mewtwo's options are very limited. F-Tilt sucks and both D-Smash and D-Air are laggy.
Pac-Man has no KO options while you're on the ledge. Easy stalling potential (not that Wario needed it).
Palutena is pretty limlted. D-Tilt and U-Smash are laggy, while falling D-Air is easy to see coming.
R.O.B. is pretty limited. D-Tilt doesn't set up into anything, sourspot F-Smash is incredibly weak, and the aerials are easy to see coming.
Robin isn't very threatening. D-Tilt doesn't lead into anything, D-Smash is laggy, and the aerials are easy to see coming.
Sheik seems pretty limited! D-Tilt doesn't lead into anything significant, F-Air and D-Air require a landing aerial (and D-Air is laggy), and Down-B won't hit if you kick early, giving you time to react with Back/Down.
Wii Fit Trainer seems to hate this. D-Tilt does good damage but is somewhat laggy, and it's literally all she has that doesn't involve running offstage.

Outside of dive-kick D-Airs, the aerials assume that the opponent lands on the stage after/during the aerial.

Bowser: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (sourspot), F-Air, D-Air, Up-B (final hit)
Bowser Jr.: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, B-Air, D-Air, Up-B (explosion)
Diddy Kong: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, N-Air, D-Air, Forward-B (kick)
Dr. Mario: F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, Forward-B, Up-B, Down-B (final hit)
Duck Hunt: Jab3, Rapid Jab finisher, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (sometimes), D-Smash
Greninja: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, D-Air, Neutral-B (fully-charged)
Ike: Jab3, F-Tilt (down-angled, perfectly spaced), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, U-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, D-Air, Neutral-B
Jigglypuff: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, D-Air, Forward-B
King Dedede: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (final hit) D-Tilt, D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Up-B (lol)
Kirby: Rapid Jab finisher, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, D-Air, Up-B, Down-B (landing hitbox)
Little Mac: D-Tilt, U-Smash (sourspot), D-Smash, D-Air, Forward-B (max distance)
Lucario: F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, D-Air, Neutral-B (shot @ 26+%, charge @ 111+%), Forward-B (~80+%)
Luigi: Dash Attack, F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, D-Air
Mario: F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt (>:/), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, Forward-B, Up-B (first hit)
Mii Brawler (minus specials): F-Tilt (down-angled), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Air
Mii Swordfighter (minus specials): Jab2, D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air (single hit), D-Air
Ness: Dash Attack (final hit), F-Tilt, D-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash, N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air, D-Air
Pikachu: Jab, F-Tilt (down-angled), U-Tilt, D-Tilt, U-Smash, D-Smash (final hit), Down-B
Rosalina and Luma: Dash Attack (first hit only), D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash, F-Air (linking hit), B-Air (Luma only), D-Air
Roy: D-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, F-Air (sourspot), B-Air (sourspot), D-Air, Neutral-B, Forward-B
Shulk: D-Tilt, F-Smash (down-angled), D-Smash (final spin), N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Not to chase you all over the boards, but Samus can hit Wario with a skimmed charge shot and screw attack. If Samus times charge shot properly as she land it will clip into the stage a bit. The start up hitboxes of screw attack also clip into the stage.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet

Of note:

wanted to add that for R.O.B.. the gyro can potentially stage spike you at the ledge (if you use bike offstage already you wont have it) and laser can hit you sending you up possibly combo-ing into a gyro throw

Mista Thug

Smash Rookie
NNID
lovebutton
I seemed to have stumbled upon an optimal bike throw combo that could result in a 0-death but I am having trouble recreating it. I believe I started it with a hard down throw of the bike a point blank range and was able to follow up the two hits of a regular jab combo for the bike to stay in the air and hit the opponent twice resulting in around 60 damage alone, this coupled with a waft or a bair if started at a later percent I feel could kill, or could continue with other moves.

The problem I'm having is I now realise that stage and character traction change how it works, I remeber I was facing right, I think I was practicing on either DK or sheik, but I couldn't recreate it with them, I can't remember what stage it was on and if it was omega (it was definately legal), I'm thinking it may have been SV because of it's minimal platforms or an omega (imagining a green colour palette)

Could anyone give me a hand as I feel this could be an amazing tool, as in the same night I was able to break shield witha hard d throw into d tilt, granted it was on jiggly puff, but this could have block or hit options.

Thanks in advance

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I seemed to have stumbled upon an optimal bike throw combo that could result in a 0-death but I am having trouble recreating it. I believe I started it with a hard down throw of the bike a point blank range and was able to follow up the two hits of a regular jab combo for the bike to stay in the air and hit the opponent twice resulting in around 60 damage alone, this coupled with a waft or a bair if started at a later percent I feel could kill, or could continue with other moves.

The problem I'm having is I now realise that stage and character traction change how it works, I remeber I was facing right, I think I was practicing on either DK or sheik, but I couldn't recreate it with them, I can't remember what stage it was on and if it was omega (it was definately legal), I'm thinking it may have been SV because of it's minimal platforms or an omega (imagining a green colour palette)

Could anyone give me a hand as I feel this could be an amazing tool, as in the same night I was able to break shield witha hard d throw into d tilt, granted it was on jiggly puff, but this could have block or hit options.

Thanks in advance
A hard Bike throw downward, assuming it hits as early as possible, has frame advantage of +8, which is technically fast enough for Jab to come out before it can be shielded, but the Bike hit seems to slide people away too far unless they're actively inside of you, making it unrealistic if not outright impossible without the opponent SDI-ing toward you on hit.

Hard Bike throw downward takes out about three-fifths of a full shield; you have to deal about 40% of damage in one string in order to break a shield from full.

I was testing the strike invincibility/hitbox on U-Tilt to see how it holds up against many standard spacing tools and got some interesting results. The general rule of thumb here is that the better the opponent's move is spaced, the more likely it will lose to Wario's U-Tilt. This is likely because the hurtbox on Wario's body is round, so having a hitbox directly above his head instead of on the side will reach the highest point. Remember that Wario's head and hands are invincible from frames 5-23; that's quite a while.

Lime means it will not hit you at all immediately out of a shorthop.
Yellow means its range is reduced significantly, generally requiring the attacker to be poorly spaced.

Here are the results:

Bowser: F-Air, B-Air
Bowser Jr.: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Captain Falcon: N-Air, U-Air (landing), D-Air
Charizard: N-Air, F-Air
Dark Pit: B-Air
Diddy Kong: F-Air, B-Air, Forward-B (grounded, kick)
Donkey Kong: B-Air, U-Air (landing)
Dr. Mario: None
Duck Hunt: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air (first hit)
Falco: N-Air, B-Air
Fox: N-Air, D-Air
Ganondorf: N-Air, F-Air, U-Air, D-Air
Greninja: N-Air
Jigglypuff: F-Air
Ike: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air (landing)
King Dedede: N-Air, F-Air
Kirby: F-Air
Link: B-Air, D-Air
Little Mac: None
Lucario: F-Air
Lucas: N-Air, F-Air
Lucina: N-Air, B-Air, Forward-B (air)
Luigi: F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Mario: B-Air, D-Air
Marth: N-Air, B-Air, Forward-B (air)
Mega Man: N-Air, B-Air, D-Air (clanks)
Meta Knight: N-Air, F-Air
Mewtwo: N-Air (you trade with linking hit), F-Air, B-Air
Mii Brawler: None
Mii Gunner: N-Air
Mii Swordfighter: N-Air, B-Air
Mr. Game and Watch: B-Air (you trade with linking hit)
Ness: F-Air (you trade with linking hit), B-Air, D-Air
Olimar: N-Air
Pac-Man: F-Air, B-Air
Peach (float-cancel height will still beat you): N-Air, F-Air, B-Air
Palutena: F-Air
Pikachu: F-Air, D-Air
Pit: B-Air
R.O.B.: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air
Robin: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air
Rosalina and Luma: N-Air (first hit), F-Air
Roy: N-Air, F-Air, Forward-B
Ryu: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air (landing), D-Air
Samus: U-Air (landing), D-Air
Sheik: N-Air, B-Air
Shulk: B-Air, D-Air (first hit)
Sonic: N-Air, F-Air, U-Air, Forward-B (end of hop)
Toon Link: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air
Villager: None
Wario: N-Air, B-Air
Wii Fit Trainer: D-Air
Yoshi: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, D-Air
Zelda: N-Air, F-Air, B-Air (avoids Zelda's sweetspot), D-Air (avoids Zelda's sweetspot)
Zero Suit Samus: Down-B

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some information on D-Air landing interruption follow-ups:

The linking hits on D-Air have fixed knockback, so the opponent's percent is irrelevant, and it isn't high enough to put people into tumble, so people cannot DI the hits. Frame advantage is dependent on a few things:

1. Your own Rage value. Using D-Air at 100% will give you greater knockback, and, as a result, better frame advantage than using D-Air at 0%.

2. The opponent's weight. The lower their weight, the better your frame advantage. With no Rage, you appear to have about +4 frame advantage on Jigglypuff, +2 on Mario, and 0 on Bowser.

3. Frame syncing (also known as "frame cancel," but that's a misleading name). Because a new hitbox comes out on every other frame, if the opponents is close enough to the ground right before you land, there is a 50% chance of Wario's landing lag happening on the same frame as hitlag, giving Wario +5 extra frame advantage. This is affected by weight, fall speed, and gravity; the higher those values are, the more likely you'll get that 50% chance, but it can work on every character if you only get one hit of D-Air before landing.

4. Whether or not the opponent is forced to land on the ground after hitstun. This is primarily based on gravity and fall speed values. If they are forced to land on the ground, Wario gains +2 frame advantage but can shield instead of jumping away.

The list for #4 is as follows: Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox, Ganondorf, Greninja, King Dedede, Mega Man, Mii Brawler, Roy, Ryu, Sheik, Shulk (Jump art only), and Zero Suit Samus.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to test outside of Training Mode, so we will have to ballpark advantage that factors in Rage. A general rule of thumb is that greater Rage allows you to get more/better follow-ups; at 100+%, D-Air landing -> Half Waft (the latter of which is Frame 5) is guaranteed on most characters, but the exception is light characters with low gravity and/or fall speed. As an example, Rosalina is hit too high by the linking hits of D-Air to combo into any grounded moves when Wario is at 100+%, and the six frames of jumpsquat it would take to follow up with an aerial is long enough for her to jump away safely. The (very) good news is that most of Wario's worst matchups fall victim to #3 more often than other characters, and most of them are on the list for #4, so they give Wario the most guaranteed follow-ups on average.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think I accidentally figured out the missing point on why the Forward-B ground-only glitch stops working sometimes. To activate it, you have to be riding on the ground when you press Special or Attack, and on the ground for the entirety of the "I am jumping off the Bike" animation. When the IASA kicks in and you can press other buttons, the Bike no longer has to be on the ground and you've activated it.

This means that recovering with Forward-B in the air takes away the glitch.

Certain moves still seem to bypass it, like Palutena D-Air. However, those appear to have an unknown air/ground state, as I mentioned before, and are very few and far between. It does work against Sheik U-Air after all!

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
Say Reflex.
Can you make a video of how we can avoid Sheik's U-air with the ground-state glitch?
You don't have to tho, but I / we really appreciate it!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I would need a second person, so I can't just do it whenever. I can try to explain it in detail.

The ground-only glitch changes the linking hits of her U-Air from an autolink angle to a 90-degree angle, so instead of Wario moving in the direction that Sheik is moving, Wario is sent straight upward.

The idea is just to DI as far away as possible from Sheik D-Throw (which is an 80-degree angle hit, so slightly lower than straight horizontal is best). Because of that, she will have to run forward and jump forward when U-Airing. SDI in the opposite direction after you're thrown and you may be able to pass through Sheik during the linking hits.

In simple terms, if Sheik is facing left while she D-Throws you, hold left as her throw starts, then start mashing quarter-circle motions to the right (between up-right and down-right).

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this has been mentioned anywhere before, but if you hold down the jump button and immediately input down air, you'll be able to execute the move while moving upwards. Not only does this completely do away with landing lag, but it lifts your target into the air, limiting what they can do afterwards, and gives you time to midair jump away before you land. Basically safer than the move's standard usage in every possible way.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That -is- the standard usage, though. Rising aerials are Wario's bread-and-butter in many cases, such as shorthop immediate B-Air and immediate fullhop F-Air. It's quite common to see.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Up air nair fart doesn't seem to work on sheik I think he's too light. We discussed it while you were streaming reflex and you said it was possible but i'm having trouble. I can do on falcon and ryu just fine but i fear sheik is far too light.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Don't pay attention to the combo counter. If you set Sheik to Control and try to make her shield after the sweetspot N-Air hits, she will be unable to before the sourspot hits her. The percents are fairly specific because sweetspot N-Air won't combo into sourspot N-Air for all that long (there's a chart with those percents in the original post), but it still is a true combo (tested it in Training Mode after seeing this post).

At percents too low to combo U-Air into N-Air (we're talking basically 0%), U-Air links into Up-B nicely for 26% altogether. Just don't steer it and don't be at crazy-high Rage values.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Apparently, the first frame of Wario's hard Bike throw downward is a Special Offensive Collision, meaning it will always send an opponent in the direction Wario is facing...

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you throw the Bike, U-Throw/D-Throw are active on Frame 11 and have an IASA frame of 23. F-Throw/B-Throw are active on Frame 16 and have an IASA of 31.

Wario picking up the Bike appears to take 11 frames. Other characters vary significantly in how long it takes for them to pick up the Bike. You can buffer a throw out of the "picking up" animation, and characters' F-Throws' first active frame is universally about 16-18 frames.

Some characters' Bike throw forward puts the Bike fairly high up, preventing Wario from being in any real danger as a result of that throw if he's not outside of Wario Dash Attack range. Most of them require you to crouch to avoid it, but there are a couple of exceptions.

Here are some characters' "pick up the Bike" animation frames:

Captain Falcon: 12 (Forward goes over)
Cloud: 12 (Forward goes over crouch)
Diddy Kong: 12 (Forward goes over crouch)
Fox: 14 (Forward goes over crouch)
Ike: 11
Mario: 12
Mega Man: 11 (Forward goes over crouch)
Meta Knight: 12
Ness: 12 (Forward goes over)
Pikachu: 20 (Forward goes over crouch)
Rosalina: 17
Ryu: 12 (Forward goes over crouch)
Sheik: 17
Sonic: 14
Yoshi: 12 (Forward goes over crouch)
Zero Suit Samus: 11 (Forward goes over crouch)

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The active frames of some of Wario's Bike throws are significantly different when facing left than when facing right. Long story short: D-Throw should be your go-to in almost all cases. While the pictures don't really show it, a D-Throw to the right is super-safe, while D-Throw left is pretty safe. If you want to throw horizontally, turn around and do a Smash throw backward, rather than a regular forward throw, as that floats upward less, but both are prone to opponents going under it. There is a huge difference in how low U-Throw hits between directions, too; I didn't take one picture late.

Forward:

Back:

Up:

Down:

Forward:

Back:

Up:

Down:

Also, some optimal healing potential with the Bike:

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I decided to take pictures of the first active frame of D-Air and the last active frame of D-Air at max normal fall speed and fastfall speed as a reference for how much space you can cover with hitboxes in that time.

First frame:

Last frame:
First frame:

Last frame:
First frame:

Last frame:
First frame:

Last frame:

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A thrown Bike has the same priority rules as any item or non-aerial attack in that it will clank with any move than deals 8% less than it would, or more damage than that. This generally ends up being attacks that deal 4+% (a thrown Bike does about 12% when it's falling). Any grounded attack between 4% and 20% will clank and suffer 30 frames of lag as a result, even if the Bike is broken by that attack.

Any move that deals less than 3% just loses outright. This includes many recoveries, especially ones that hit multiple times. Here's a list of recoveries that have a hitbox but still get hit by a thrown Bike:

Bowser: Up-B
Bowser Jr.: Forward-B, Up-B
Charizard: Forward-B (can super armor through), Up-B (can super armor through)
Diddy Kong: Forward-B, Up-B
Donkey Kong: Up-B (hits his head but not his arms)
Dr. Mario: Up-B
Falco: Forward-B, Up-B
Fox: Forward-B, Up-B
Ganondorf: Up-B
Ike: Forward-B (doesn't activate the swing), Up-B
Kirby: Up-B
Link: Up-B
Little Mac: Up-B
Lucas: Up-B (PKT2)
Lucina: Up-B
Luigi: Forward-B (all but max charge and Misfire), Up-B, Down-B
Mario: Up-B (only after invincibility)
Marth: Up-B
Meta Knight: Forward-B, Up-B, Down-B
Mr. Game and Watch: Up-B (only after invincibility)
Pac-Man: Forward-B
Peach: Forward-B, Up-B
Pikachu: Forward-B, Up-B
Roy: Up-B
Ryu: Forward-B, Up-B
Samus: Up-B (only after invincibility)
Sonic: Forward-B (after invincibility), Up-B (before/after invincibility)
Toon Link: Up-B
Wario: Forward-B (heh), Up-B, Down-B (upward hit)
Wii Fit Trainer: Up-B
Zelda: Up-B
Zero Suit Samus: Up-B, Down-B (after invincibility)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Added Cloud information to multiple sections.

Also, some comprehensive information on Neutral-B:

Wario's Neutral-B grabs opponents on and after Frame 8, but starts to eat items as early as Frame 1. As a result, eating items will pretty much always take priority over grabbing opponents.

After Wario successfully throws an opponent with Neutral-B, he cannot use Neutral-B for the next half-second or so, but he can use any other option. This is not the case after eating a projectile.

If Neutral-B ends in the air, it has five fewer frames of endlag. This can be used immediately out of a shorthop or with an aerial B-Reverse for extra safety.

The grab's length of time before the throw is dependent on the opponent's damage and number of inputs, much like a normal grab, except a release acts as a throw. Pressing buttons to pummel the opponent deals extra damage but affect the time it takes to release them only very slightly.

Neutral-B throws opponents at a 45-degree angle. Stages that are useful for gimping tend to have a flat bottom and/or are angled in such a way that a missed tech against the side is basically death. Things that affect it significantly:

1. The opponent's mashing speed. It actually doesn't take many inputs to significantly lower the time spent grabbed until very high percents.

2. The opponent's percent. Like a normal grab, the higher the percent when grabbed, the longer it will take to be released. This also affects how far they get thrown, so a missed tech becomes more deadly, or a tech against a flat "ceiling" will require more horizontal movement to recover from.

3. Your percent. Neutral-B has high base knockback and knockback growth, so the knockback is much higher when influenced by Rage.

4. The walls of the stage. The sides of each stage have different angles that bounce people in different directions on a missed tech, and some stages go down a decent bit before reaching the bottom side.

Some stages of note:

Dream Land 64 has a very low blast zone, a flat bottom, and a long side wall, making it ideal for opponents who do not mash out immediately.

Omega Temple and Omega Kongo Jungle 64 have a long side wall and invisible/obscured wall locations, making it more difficult to tech.

Omega Halberd and Omega Pilotwings have a short side wall and don't allow you to slide up the bottom with your Up-B.

Lylat Cruise has a short side wall and can be awkward to tech on/against.

When Wario eats an item with his Neutral-B, he heals 1% and adds 1.5 seconds of charge to his Down-B. Wario can eat up to four items at once with a single Neutral-B, and the benefits stack. When the Wario Bike is broken, five pieces fly in random directions from the engine in the front. If you use Neutral-B where the engine was right after the Bike explodes, it is easy to reliably eat four pieces.

There are some setups that allow you to eat four small pieces of the Bike in slightly more time than it takes to eat the Bike whole:

Ledge crash -> sweetspot F-Air -> hard throw Down -> Neutral-B. Does not work if F-Air is staled three or more times prior.

Ledge crash -> sweetspot F-Air -> hard throw Down -> Neutral-B. Does not work if F-Air is staled two or more times prior.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some research on Wario's Up-B. We should start using this more.

Up-B hits on Frame 6 and is one of Wario's few lingering hitboxes. Also, unlike N-Air and D-Air, the linking hits have no gaps between them. The first grounded hit cannot be clanked with, and because it has set knockback, it links just as well when your opponent is at 0% as when they are at 300%. It deals a strong 13% if every hit connects, and it has very high BKB and KGB values, so it can function as a legitimate KO move in the right situations.

Your momentum doesn't change until the first hitbox is out, so you can rise or fall into Up-B for a bit of misdirection or aid in punishing. Because of the lingering hitbox and good damage, this is often the most reliable punish for airdodges. Using an Up-B right before landing on the ground avoids normal landing lag, so this can be a faster poke out of an empty hop than, say, D-Tilt. Could be good to punish shieldgrab-happy players. Because of the first hit's decent disjoint in front, we could reasonably use it as a slower, more powerful Mario Up-B.

The hitboxes are pretty similar to their Brawl counterparts (don't pay attention to the knockback values; those are Brawl's):

However, there are a number of factors that can prevent it from linking into the final hit. Because the weight-dependent knockback is quite high, the linking hits are heavily affected by Wario's Rage. As a result, when you are at high percent, opponents are prone to falling out of the move before the final hit. Also, because the knockback angles of the linking hits are close to 90 degrees, the more you steer it horizontally, the more likely an opponent will fall out of it.

You can mitigate these issues, though! If you're actively trying to hit an opponent with it, you should try not to steer it horizontally much/at all. The disjoint on the first hit will catch the people your steering is meant to catch, anyway. Also, if you start it above your opponent so that they get hit by the bottom hitbox, they have more room to rise before moving out of range, so any extra knockback from Rage will not be enough to make you miss.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Some research on Wario's Up-B. We should start using this more.

Up-B hits on Frame 6 and is one of Wario's few lingering hitboxes. Also, unlike N-Air and D-Air, the linking hits have no gaps between them. The first grounded hit cannot be clanked with, and because it has set knockback, it links just as well when your opponent is at 0% as when they are at 300%. It deals a strong 13% if every hit connects, and it has very high BKB and KGB values, so it can function as a legitimate KO move in the right situations.

Your momentum doesn't change until the first hitbox is out, so you can rise or fall into Up-B for a bit of misdirection or aid in punishing. Because of the lingering hitbox and good damage, this is often the most reliable punish for airdodges. Using an Up-B right before landing on the ground avoids normal landing lag, so this can be a faster poke out of an empty hop than, say, D-Tilt. Could be good to punish shieldgrab-happy players. Because of the first hit's decent disjoint in front, we could reasonably use it as a slower, more powerful Mario Up-B.

The hitboxes are pretty similar to their Brawl counterparts (don't pay attention to the knockback values; those are Brawl's):

However, there are a number of factors that can prevent it from linking into the final hit. Because the weight-dependent knockback is quite high, the linking hits are heavily affected by Wario's Rage. As a result, when you are at high percent, opponents are prone to falling out of the move before the final hit. Also, because the knockback angles of the linking hits are close to 90 degrees, the more you steer it horizontally, the more likely an opponent will fall out of it.

You can mitigate these issues, though! If you're actively trying to hit an opponent with it, you should try not to steer it horizontally much/at all. The disjoint on the first hit will catch the people your steering is meant to catch, anyway. Also, if you start it above your opponent so that they get hit by the bottom hitbox, they have more room to rise before moving out of range, so any extra knockback from Rage will not be enough to make you miss.
If you can, please make a video about it. Despite reading this 3 times, im still confused as to why it is so good. Im more of a See-er(visual learner) than a reader

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
It's a decent move at best in my personal opinion, but a really good recovery move for a fair tradeoff. I use the move quite a bit to know it usually doesn't kill off the sides, although it can if people DI bad which they do a lot. However, you are correct about it punishing air-dodges, and I have ko'd off the top a few times with it. It has minimal lag if you use it under the top platform on battlefield as iirc it should just put Wario above the platform.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Detailed info on using the D-Air meteor:

The first six hits of Wario's D-Air has two hitboxes that can hit opponents while they're in the air: One is below his head and hits upward, while another is on his head and hits downward. They are supposed to hit the opponent back and forth between each other until the final hit sends them away. However, if both hitboxes overlap the opponent at one time, the downward hit will have priority. If you can prevent the final hit from sending them away, it is possible to send the opponent downward like a normal Meteor Smash. This can be accomplished in a number of ways:

1. Trading hits with an off-stage opponent. This is probably the most useful method; even if you hit the opponent but don't trade, a regular D-Air is still excellent for edgeguarding, considering its many active frames and disjointed hitbox. Definitely something to consider for challenging many recoveries.

2. Landing on the stage during the linking hits. Because the move ends prematurely, it can stop on a downward hit. This can even work on a grounded opponent if you get more than one hit (since the first hit puts them in the air). The best use of this would be as a punish on an opponent on the ledge without invincibility (perhaps after a ledge trump). Landing a single hit of D-Air before hitting the ground will always send a ledge-grabbing opponent downward.

3. Passing through an opponent horizontally. Sometimes the hits don't suck them in enough and they fall out, causing it to end on a meteor. This is unreliable and is usually something that happens accidentally if at all, but, take it where you can get it. :p

Because the linking hits of D-Air have fixed knockback, the opponent's percent is irrelevant; it will send people downward at the same distance whether the opponent is at 0% or 999%. However, different variables still affect the knockback of the D-Air meteor. Here is a list of those attributes, in order from greatest effect to smallest:

1. Wario's Rage. An opponent will be sent down further if Wario is at 100% than if he is at 0%. Rage caps at 150%.

2. The opponent's Gravity stat. The higher the value, the faster/further they will be sent down before they can act. This affects how fast a character reaches their max fall speed after a jump, but it also puts a multiplier on vertical knockback so that high-gravity characters don't live longer when sent upward (unlike Melee Fox/Falco). This has a minuscule effect on most Meteor Smashes, but, apparently, it is still applied significantly on Meteor Smashes with fixed knockback. Here is a universal list of characters' Gravity values: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Gravity

3.The opponent's Weight stat. The lower the value, the faster/further they will be sent down before they can act. Even though D-Air has fixed knockback, part of it is weight-dependent knockback, which means it is slightly stronger against Jigglypuff than it is against Bowser, etc. Here is a universal list of characters' Weight values: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight

Last edited:

Roots

Smash Cadet
I’ve been playing around with Wario’s Rising D-air combos at very early percents (0 - 25%, very character dependant)

After hitting an opponent with a FH D-air, you have a few frames left before hitting the ground. You can use these frames to input a quick attack and combo your opponent.

Something to note is I prefer to do these combos after sending the opponent to the front of Wario. I’m not sure if it is actually better but it works more often for me. What I’d recommend to consistently get these combos (for training) is to RAR a Rising FH D-air then immediately change directions. After the D-air’s final hit you should be in the perfect position for a follow up. The point is, you want the direction they are sent and the direction you are moving to be the same.

(these results are in training at 10% and characters were chosen to test different weight, fall speed, etc)
Rising FH D-air on Mario can true combo into N-air
Fox true combos into N-air and F-air. Since F-air and Half Waft are both 5 frames, I’ll also assume that (didn’t test)
Sheik doesn’t get picked up by the rising D-air. Only the first two hits connect.
Up-B is not a true combo but I couldn’t air dodge, jump, or N-air out of it as Mario so it’s very close to being true. The same applied for chomp

So the possible combos are N-air, F-air, Half Waft, Up-B and Chomp

Anyways, after a FH D-air, if you try to U-air, you’ll notice that Wario is barely unable to preform it and goes through the U-air landing lag. The solution to this I’ve found is to input a short hop, then almost instantaneously, double jump and D-air. This looks almost identical to a Rising D-air but gives just enough extra height to allow a falling U-air at the end.

Using this technique (SHDJ D-air) also makes hitting Sheik with the rising D-air consistent. You can use this to tell when you’ve preformed it correctly.
With a SHDJ D-air, all the previous combos work. However, the plus to this is that you can now land with a falling U-air, one of Wario’s best combo tools. So it has added mixup potential.

After the SHDJ D-air it looks as if you can combo the final hit into a falling U-air. At first, just like the Up-B and Chomp, I was unsure if this was true. However, after further testing I managed to get the falling U-air to true combo with Fox at 20%, Villager at 20%, and Ike at 25%. As you can now assume, there are many variables involved which determine if or when this can true combo.

When executing the SHDJ D-air, remember to not to be close enough to footstool the opponent. While it’s not punishable to footstool them, it will interrupt the sequence.

There are so many variables here to account for. Percent, rage, character weight, fall speed, and size (some characters don’t even get picked up by Rising D-air), character height (if Rising D-air can even hit them), DI, SDI, etc. Plus, I’m unsure how effective or safe a Rising D-air is in the neutral. Either way, this is another option Wario has and thus must be noted. It has the potential to be a kill confirm. Hitting at 10%, plus 11% from Dair and 13% from Uair (34% total) into a Full Waft. Or you could just use another Uair, in which case it is still a solid 37% combo.

That’s all I have for now. I’m sorry if this is confusing, I wish I could make something to better illustrate it. If anyone wants to further test this I’d appreciate it.

TL;DR: A rising D-air can true combo into a falling U-air

To help visualize I made a little compilation of some combos. I know I should have done Mario but I forgot all about him.
Anyways, enjoy.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Added Corrin and Bayonetta to the footstool follow-up list.

I'll add your D-Air findings to the OP in the future, Roots.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet
I went to versus gaming center yesterday and i tested the dairs follow up in the video above and wario does not get the follow ups after most of the cast... sheik can fair or nair.. the mario bros and yoshi can nair...bowser can buffer at down air.. it only works if they DI in and do not buffer any option tbh.. at least from my experience

KuchiiMaw

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mawile95
Well, I followed this thread for quite some time, and 2 days ago I decided to translate all the main post's content to spanish (quoting this thread and you, Reflex, as the source). Here's the link: http://smashbrosspain.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=217&t=8381
I want to know if it's OK with you that I do this, and basically if there's something you think I should change format-wise.

Also, I'll probably begin to post some things of interest here once I get to it.

Top Bottom