• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Tornado!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
My friend and I are going to a tournament fairly soon. His main is Kirby, and mine is Game and Watch. GaW's neutral B isn't bad, but not worth the time to inhale. However, my secondary is Meta Knight, and we all know how good Mach Tornado is. We were messing around in our games, and I remembered that kirby can copy moves! (Durr). So, copy the Mach Tornado!

We were fairly exited at this "discovery", but the excitement died down quickly. It seemed that Kirby's version of Mach Tornado isn't as good as Meta Knight's. I was able to cut through it almost every time he used it, and it seemed to not do as much damage as mine did. However, when my friend uses Meta Knight, I am fairly able to cut through his tornado, and his seem to do less damage, although they still seem to do more than Kirby's tornado.

So, my question to you, the Kirby community, is as follows. Is Kirby's Mach Tornado worth the time it takes in our doubles to get it? We aren't going to base our strategy around something so gimmicky, obviously we would fight normally most of the game. I would think that MT would allow Kirby something to fall back on if the game isn't as planned, or if he is an disadvantaged position.

So, what are the thoughts on Kirby's Mach Tornado? Do you think that it is worse than Meta Knights? If so by what margin? Or is it my friends failure to use it that hurts him? Should it be used differently than MK's?

Thanks a lot guise!

chaos_

Smash Journeyman
i think that's his best hat get it and u have a even matchup i would say to mk

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
I think the boards agreed it was a 60:40 in favor of MK, so i think with it it could definitely be a 55/45, possibly a 50/50 when having the Mach Tornado.

Probably top 3 hats, if not the best.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
But it is sooo easy to cut through tornadoes with MK. The combination of speed, having your own to clink with, and disjointed hitboxes make it less effective than Kirby's aerials.

Then again, this is all theorycraft from a few matches, so I will post some rethought stuff after our friendlys on Friday....

Thanks for the response anyhow, keep em coming guys!

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'll also try it out tomorrow. I'll try to record and see if there's any difference. I'm not really a technical guy so I can't really tell you if it's a great strategy or not. I prefer button mashing.

Joking!.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm kinda confused by the responses...

Anyway, in doubles, it's definitely worth getting. That simple. Just like ROB's laser, if for nothing else but the "beep!" noise.

In 1v1, it's still definitely worth getting, though Meta Knight is hard to inhale with his sword sticking out everywhere, if you know what I mean. He also can cut through tornado more easily than Kirby can, but it still has its uses, especially when recovering.

And I heard somewhere that "the fresher tornado has priority". So whoever starts their tornado second will beat the first. At least so I've heard.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Yeah I'll also try it out tomorrow. I'll try to record and see if there's any difference. I'm not really a technical guy so I can't really tell you if it's a great strategy or not. I prefer button mashing.

Joking!.
Thanks mate! don't forget me, I'll post my findings after Friday too.

The thing is, even if it isn't effective in MK matches, how effective is it in doubles? The most we could do is give him the tornado from an AFK metaknight, and then have him play my GaW.

Post everything you find guys! The nuances could even help, not like MK is a rare matchup!

ETA: The fresher one decides, but there are other factors. Sometimes the stale one will win on top, or if the newer one doesn't have its hitbox out yet etc etc...

Yiikes

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

Joking!.

Sorry to double post, but I don't know if editing will bring this back up the page/to Galaxy's attention..

When you are back from your games post =]

Sakki

Smash Cadet
MK's tornado is god send, don't think for a second that it's useless against MK. It is true that it is vastly inferior to the original, but it can still cut through a number of MKs approaches and act as an alternative form of recovery.

Things to look out for though:
MK tornado beats kirby's
MK can DI and simply Dair to get out of it (so keep it grounded and be happy with dealing 2-3% because ultimately youre just trying to disrupt MKs rhythm/approach and the longer you try to hold him, the more likely you are to get a dair to the face)
MKs DSmash, Fsmash, and shuttle loop are the moves that most commonly stop kirby's tornado

Abuse it, but do it intelligently.

chaos_

Smash Journeyman

Joking!.
his best hats are mk,falco,and rob imo

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
good luck on the tournament.. and i would think that its like the same.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
this game is so fake, kirby ***** meta knight, in the kirby games its like 90: 10 kirby...but in smash its like 55:45 mk? WTF?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Kirby's hat moves are the same exact move as the original. Whoever MTs last outprioritizes the other MT.
Are you daft man? Kirby's MT is completely inferior to MKs due to its smaller size. MK will usually win a MT vs. MT clash hands down.

Having it beats having inhale though.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hmm, I'm curious about something...

Would it be possible for Kirby to combo into Mach Tornado with dair or fthrow or something of the like? o-o

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby's copied abilities are not the exact same as the original. Not only do the dynamics change because of speed, weight, height, etc., but often times the game designers change the actual properties of the copied ability, purposefully. For example, Shield Breaker and Giant Punch are smaller than the 'real' versions.

Top Bottom