• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lust or Hatred - Ganon's Doubles Partners Discussion Thread

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Lust or Hatred
Ganon's Doubles Partners discussion thread

So, again, here we are, trying to improve Ganon's potential in Brawl. We all know that Ganon doesn't need anyone to cause chaos and havoc among the battlefield but, sometimes, he just wants a hug from someone. Someone to share the amuse that wrecking entire lives can provide. Thus, Ganon decided to let off a bit more on doubles, making him a less bad character there.
This time, we'll discuss about doubles partners: which are good ones, which are only dead load, what Ganon can/can't do with them by his side, how Ganon should act with them as partners and stuff like this.
Discussions will be held at this thread and a summary will be made and put on the first post when a character is finished up. If it's taking too long to finish a character, we'll move foreward and then go back later.

Arguments should be focused on stuff that Ganon + the character can do to the other doubles by acting together, what can they do to only one plays (combos, infinites, locks...), what is Ganon's main purpose on a doubles match when pairing with X character, what stages benefits both and a final veredict on either X character is a good or bad doubles partner for Ganon.
We'll follow SBR Tier List v4 as an order of discussion, unless there are any objections.​

||| META KNIGHT |||
Discussion finished on 07/12. Starts and ends at page 1. Needs more content.
:metaknight: Good Partner [8/10]
OVERALL: MK is a good partner overall (duh!). Good at racking up damage, gimping, saving you and everything else. It's MK, after all. Ganon is almost a nuisance as a partner, by MK's point of view.

GANON'S TASK: With MK as a partner, Ganon's role is of Killer and Stock Holder, since MK can deal the damage. That doesn't mean Ganon can't help with that. He should focus in Gerudo-landing, so MK can punish the opponents further than Ganon can do, and taking people offstage with Jab, FTilt, UAir, BAir or FAir, so MK can clean up with the gimping. Try to stay alive so MK can have extra stocks in case he needs those.

LITTLE TIPS:
-MK can reset the match and keep you safe from chaingrabs, edgeguard or GRs by Tornado'ing along the stage. It's just too good.
-MK doesn't want you offstage, no matter what. You'll only be dead meat in need of help. We don't need to spike that much with MK by our side, anyways. BUT that doesn't mean you can't risk yourself for an UAir/NAir gimp now and then.
-MK can and will hit you sometimes in order to hit the opponent or even launch you with DSmash in their direction for a kill. Keep your cool, murder your target and leave the rest to your pal, in case you need some help recovering.
-MK's 'Nado's lack of hitstun is a very handy way to land buffered aerials, like UAir. MK can transport you inside the Nado and then you can murder nearby opponents.
Z1GMA said:
'Nado can nullify the Match Situation (Spacing Advantage, Edguarding, etc..) if needed.
I love when a partner MK does this when I'm in trouble.
90% of the time, after popping up from the final hit of the 'nado,
a buffered Uair from Ganon ***** the nearby opponent(s) (that were also sucked up by the 'nado).
Just as fun as ever, every single time!
2x1:
Guaranteed set-ups:
-Gerudo -> MK's Jab, DTilt tripping [forced GU] -> any Ganon move
-MK's DThrow -> Ganon's Charged USmash/Angled Up FSmash (only some characters)/Timed FAir
-MK's FThrow -> Ganon's Timmed FTilt/Angled Up FSmash (needs DI Testing)

DOUBLES STAGE COUNTER PICKING: MK does well in every stage, so the double should pick a stage where Ganon can have some improvement on his movement and killing power, like Norfair, Brinstar or Battlefield.

||| SNAKE |||
Discussion finished on 07/24. Starts at page 1 and ends at page 2.Needs more content.
:snake: Bad Partner [3/10]
OVERALL: Snake can deal damage, kill, edgeguard and stock hold, just like Ganon. He can't save his partner and, someitmes, need help with recovery, just like Ganon.These resemblances make this double almost a Double Ganon, with Grenades. This is not good at all, since Snake can't hold both the opponents alone and need someone that can safe the ground for him to recovery and set up his camp, as well as stock hold and recovery assist in case he needs.

GANON'S TASK: Ganon can be of use with Damage Dealing and Stock Holding but should not try anything risky offstage, since Snake can't and won't help you. Keep up with thunderstorming to cover Snake's 'Nades and Mines and our good'n'old UAir for general purpose.

LITTLE TIPS:
-Snake's DThrow + Ganon's Gerudo can firm a fierce barrage of tech chase, made 2x2 or 2x1, depending on the players reading skills. Not encouraged, tho'
-If made the right way, Snake can BThrow people into a Ganon's Offstage FHDAir for a guaranteed kill.
-Snake's only safe way to help Ganon recover is with a cooked 'Nade or a well aimed aerial C4. Don't rely on it.
-Ganon's Throw powers is a bit stronger than Snake's. This can help camp people with 'Nades.

2x1:
Guaranteed set-ups:
-

DOUBLES STAGE COUNTER PICKING: Snake don't do well in stages with little ground or with too many platforms. In order for him to be effective, we can't pick Norfair or Brinstar, even if they are good stages to both Snake and Ganon. Delfino Plaza and Halberd can be good choices. If Pirate Ship is avaible, that too can be a good one.

||| DIDDY KONG |||
Discussing...
:034:

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
MK is a gigantic pu$$y and i would never team with one.

That aside, he would be a very good doubles partner as he has the combo ability/aerial domination that ganon lacks. I'm a believer in having a doubles partner that complements you and makes up for your weaknesses and mk is exactly that.

As for doubles tactics, ganon's role would mostly comprise of being the stock-keeper and getting the killing blows. I can't contribute to team combo's because i've never played alongside a meta-knight but stage-wise, you would go to a stage like norfair (or any level that nullifies campy range characters) and delfino plaza/pirate ship due to the element of water.

Those 2 levels could work in your favour depending on which doubles team you were versing because ganon's stomp will annihilate anyone in the water at 50-80%. He lacks the speed and aerials to set himself up for the kill though. Having mk on your side can assist with pressuring the enemy into the water (with his great pressure and aerial game) and keeping them there for ganondorf to finish them off. It's a cheap tactic but those 2 stages are both allowed so you can take advantage of that.

Overall, MK is a great team-mate for ganondorf as they both complement each other nicely.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Also, ehm, good luck finding any MK that wants to team with a Ganon =/
If you find a decent one, its a great teampartner tough.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Meta Knight being the Offense of this team is amazing, he beats so many defenses and offenses it's crazy. When your opponent gets tired of dealing with MK he'll try to approach Ganon to gets some easy kills or damage. But this is Ganon and he'll use that Defense and punishing to annihilate you especially after MK annoyed him.

This team is a Frustrating Team. It will anger you opponents to hell and back.

Breezy

Smash Ace
Gerudo -> MK Dtilt jab reset -> Ganon charged Fsmash -> MK Shuttle Loop
Dumbest combo ever. If you get one of your opponents offstage, can be done in the time it takes him to recover. Then the MK can go for the gimp, while ganon distracts.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, I'm busy right now, but I'll help and get it started.

A few random thoughts:
MK is beast when it comes to Damage Racking - Which goes hand in hand
with Ganon's crazy KO-potential.

MK is godly at gimping while Ganon is at least decent.
[Team-Gimping Potential 7.5 out of 10]

MK is a good "savior" if Ganon is about to get gimped, or simply not reach the stage.

'Nado can nullify the Match Situation (Spacing Advantage, Edguarding, etc..) if needed.
I love when Tonsana does this when I'm in trouble.
a buffered Uair from Ganon ***** the nearby opponent(s).

MK's Dthrow is extremely easy for Ganon to follow up with a Powerful attack.

There's a lot more, but I have other stuff to do right now.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I can only see Ganon as a Finisher and a Stock Holder for MK. Seriously.

MK can do as much damage as he wants.
MK can gimp and save ganon's recovery if he needs.
MK can reset the match with 'nado. (like Z1g said. I love this too!)
MK can bring setups for guarantee mudering combos like DThrow -> Footstool -> Regrab -> warlock punch. (I almost came on the TV when I pulled this one out!)
MKs stages are Ganon's stages, especialy Norfair.

Although I don't have much doubles experience, I can judge this as being a very good Ganon partner.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I can only see Ganon as a Finisher and a Stock Holder for MK. Seriously.

MK can do as much damage as he wants.
MK can gimp and save ganon's recovery if he needs.
MK can reset the match with 'nado. (like Z1g said. I love this too!)
MK can bring setups for guarantee mudering combos like DThrow -> Footstool -> Regrab -> warlock punch. (I almost came on the TV when I pulled this one out!)
MKs stages are Ganon's stages, especialy Norfair.

Although I don't have much doubles experience, I can judge this as being a very good Ganon partner.
Rainbow Cruise isn't, it's probably Ganon's worst stage. Frigate isn't either. But for the most part, yeah.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I think we could move up to Snake.

I'll make the summary and update the first post as soon as I get home.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I think Snake is a lot less succesfol because he has a harder time saving Ganon, he is a heavy hitter and killer / stock tanker as well, so like the same as ganon (sadly, a better one).
The only teamwork they can have is that Snake can damage pretty fast, with Nades and 21 Damage ftilt, but Ganon hits heavy as well, its just a bit harder.
So mainly they do the same thing, Snake just does it a bit better.. So, theyre not really good teampartners IMO.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
No, cause you can't force the get-up from a down throw.
It would be esier to tech chase, but still hard. Gerudo > Jab from Snake would force a get-up though, and you could contineu from that. But again, all 2 vs. 1 stuff, and thats not the most useful.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Seems like there is nothing more to say about. I think discussions with a non-low tier partner won't make this very active, so can we move on to a low tier now, like Falcon or Ike?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Ganon and MK go hand in hand.

Like black and white.

They ying & yang

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I team with a Link, thats the real Ying and Yang 8D
He will switch to Marth a lot though.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Ganon should have a partner that can get away when they need to, but annoy the opponent, and leave great openings for Ganon to score kills.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I actually feel very comfortable when my partner is another Ganondorf that knows what he's doing. It may seem crazy, but it's just a comfort zone. Ganon's actually a decent character to double up on, in teams.

SLASHinator

Smash Cadet
I actually feel very comfortable when my partner is another Ganondorf that knows what he's doing. It may seem crazy, but it's just a comfort zone. Ganon's actually a decent character to double up on, in teams.
Only when it's two decent Ganondorfs and the team isn't something like the regular Snake+MK or MK^2.
4 times the killing power (if Ganondorf has 2 killingpowers, 2 Ganondorfs equals 2 times 2 killingpowers YOUKNOWWHATIMSAYIN') means Jack Faeces if you can't hit anything/you're camped/combo'd to death.

I've tried it with Flying Dutchman in a tourney, I'm afraid it wasn't that succesful.

Best teampartners for Ganondorf are partners that can deal lots of damage in short times. This role mostly fits quick, light characters like MK, Diddy, Falco (if we're talking high tier chars), but also Fox, Kirbz, etc. It is my personal believe Dedede would be an excellent partner for Ganon as he can also deal lots of dmg in a short time (through cg or otherwise bair/bthrow) and can set up for easy kills for Ganondorf (DDD dthrow -> Ganondorf dair/fsmash is legit).

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I think we can all agree that Ganon + Snake is not that good and Ganon is only a Stock holder...

Should we move to Diddy?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I think we can all agree that Ganon + Snake is not that good and Ganon is only a Stock holder...

Should we move to Diddy?
Ye. Ganon + Snake isn't very special.

I love teaming with Diddy.
Just grab a Banana and go crazy with Gerudo.
But then again, don't be stupid predictable.

Diddy is good at racking up damage, but his KO-potential sux.
This is where Ganon comes into the picture.

Who's gonna play the last stock?
It depends on the opponent(s)' Damage %.

If he/they have between 0% and like 90% - Diddy should play the last stock.
If he/they have between like 90% and 150% - Ganon should play.
And over 150% - Diddy.

It also depends on what character(s) is left, of course.
Ganon should never use the last stock if the remaining opponent is Falco 0% - 999%.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Edited the OP with the summary for MK and Snake. See if everything is ok.

About Diddy... I'll try pairing up with one a few times before I can say some stuff. Never played Ganon+Diddy before.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
@Baha:

"-MK's 'Nado's lack of hitstun is a very handy way to land buffered aerials, like UAir. MK can transport you inside the Nado and then you can murder nearby opponents. (by Z1GMA)"

^These aren't my words D:

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I didn't copy pasted your exact words, but if you want me to take out the cradits or copy paste the original text, I'll do so. Your exact words were:

I love when Tonsana does this when I'm in trouble.
a buffered Uair from Ganon ***** the nearby opponent(s).

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How about this:

I love when a partner MK does this when I'm in trouble.
a buffered Uair from Ganon ***** the nearby opponent(s) (that were also sucked up by the 'nado).

Better?

Top Bottom