• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

luigis d air spike hitbox information.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
To preform Luigi's down air spike and get it 100% of the time it is important to know this one important thing.

The important thing: The hit boxes of the spike are right at the beginning of the spinning frames ( right when his hands begin to move ) right where his hands are. Yes folks one for each hand so yes this can be used either behind or in front of Luigi when mastered.

To get a feel for this point in the move take a character with a easy to hit hitbox and make them jump in practice mode and try to hit the opponent with just the hands of Luigi's D-air in the beginning spinning frames WITHOUT hitting with the feet. If done successfully you will have knocked the target straight down like a normal spike this might take some time getting used to due to how quirky the D-air is but with work it can be pulled off repeatedly and easily.

( percentages still in progress )

Any information about the d-air spike found during mastered use can be put in this thread to further our understanding of this deadly move, and will be greatly appreciated.

Note for those who become confused with the explanation and end result: During the spin animation Luigi will put up his hands and spin with his elbows and produce a wind around him. (this becomes the spike hitbox when it hits.)

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
The Sweetspot is always changing around. First hips, thighs, butt, feet, now hands! I'll focus on that, if we can get it 100% i'll be a happy person :]

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
Also while practicing the spike I found a very nasty technique that will work for all characters. If you managed to get them to pratfall during the spike and fast fall you will be able to engage a fireball lock. And even more evil is with just two fire balls into the lock most will be in position for a sweet-spotted forward smash all of which can rack up nasty damage and even KO in situations.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I think this is one problem we have here with our metagame, we need to get the spike down people. Like thunderbolt said, it can set up fireball locks and easy KO situations, and of course actually spike people when used off the stage. Definately needs to be looked into.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'm not sure but I think the spike hitbox goes past his hands as the spinny thing (im bad with words ._.) around his hands. I was bored and was torturing a Kirby, and spiked him sometime during that. I recorded it and paused right where the spike happened, and the kirby was pretty far away from luigi's hands on the frame i saw.

Of course i could be wrong, since luigi extends his hands out and quickly pulls them back in during the animation :p

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
Actually I'm not sure but I think the spike hitbox goes past his hands as the spinny thing (im bad with words ._.) around his hands. I was bored and was torturing a Kirby, and spiked him sometime during that. I recorded it and paused right where the spike happened, and the kirby was pretty far away from luigi's hands on the frame i saw.

Of course i could be wrong, since luigi extends his hands out and quickly pulls them back in during the animation :p
The air around the spin of where his arms are is where the hitboxes are but from i've learned so far the hitboxes are only there for the begining of the attack.Just makesure you dont hit them with your feet.And luigiking is right if people would finnaly get the spike down it would greatly improve luigi because he can already combo people to 60% at the begining of the match basicly and 60%+ is where the spike can pratfall people wich can lead up to other combo's like the one i said earlyer about spiking and fireball locking into a f-smash.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
I only said that because if you use C-stick for aerials it's alot easier to DI away, so that's what I was thinking. so yeah.. Anyways get back on that, ima go to bed lol
O lol I thought you meant di away from them while doing a dair did'nt think that work because his spike boxes are small .:laugh:

DarkDefeater

Smash Apprentice
As far as I can tell that in order to spike, the foe must be behind Luigi and hit with Luigi's hands. I'll experiment more with this, as I'm not able to spike consistently.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
i think actually you can i had already asked hippie dude about this yes the hitboxes are in his hands can someone upload a vid ? it would be cool if someone could show with details and stuff.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
At least the mystery of where the hitboxes are is finnaly over.Yes,it would be nice if someone would upload a vid on this showing detail of the hitboxes.I'll be glad to put it on this thread.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I think it'd be better if they did it in training mode in like slow mo version. So we can see clearly.
i did that, i think its the hands or somewhere close to that. If Luigi is '\' and the enemy is '.', then you are basically .\ (sorry for bad diagrams lol). You just have to be right over them, and hit on the first frame(s), after that its a matter of practice...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
i think you can actually only hit with the back since luigi looks like this ( )
-- \ --
--
his body actually tends to have that incline so i guess you could spike instead of bair dunno is someone working on the video?

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Nah, taunt spiking relies on people who wait on the edge too long.

I got some replays with luigi that include a spike or 2, but I dont have a capture card, recording it on a vid cam might kill the quality too much, and I don't know how to slow a video down (I have not edited a vid recently enough to remember that i did it ._.)

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Nah, taunt spiking relies on people who wait on the edge too long.

I got some replays with luigi that include a spike or 2, but I dont have a capture card, recording it on a vid cam might kill the quality too much, and I don't know how to slow a video down (I have not edited a vid recently enough to remember that i did it ._.)
Thats fine and all...but how many people have you fought against that actually cling to the edge long enough for you to land the spike? No one i play against lets me. The only way to get that spike in a practical way is to anticipate them jumping through a platform like in smashville. The combo video fireproof shows a few of those.

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
Thats fine and all...but how many people have you fought against that actually cling to the edge long enough for you to land the spike? No one i play against lets me. The only way to get that spike in a practical way is to anticipate them jumping through a platform like in smashville. The combo video fireproof shows a few of those.
lol thats crazy!

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
it is , or against people who simply dont know of its existence which is pretty much 40% of the people in smashboards outside of the luigi threads

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
it is , or against people who simply dont know of its existence which is pretty much 40% of the people in smashboards outside of the luigi threads
Anyone whose played Melee knows about it, so I think its more people than you think.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I just saw the luigi info vid...

Why is anyone worried with snakes then?

When Luigi can spike a snake 100% of the time off the edge....wow, if only i knew....=(

Next week, the 20th, i will go to a tourney where alot of good people will be. Around 50 are expected to be there.

Every single match will be recorded, or atleast of mine (Doubs and Singles)

I cant wait to spike snakes now with no mercy xD. I figured out a way to approach snakes (Impossible?!?!?! No, not really. Patience is key) But it would be to hard to explain

MmmMmmm Luigi spikes

PolMex23

Smash Champion
You know what, we really have to start focusing on this as a community..

To know how to activate the spike, an when an where it will be...we must.

Can anyone hack into Brawl an show the characters as just skeletons(you know what i mean, like stick models) with the hitboxs showing or somthin...Anyone who has the money...

This will greatly improve our game...

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Wall of Pain. You know how sometimes you try to recover, and before you get to touch the stage, your opponent hits you back out? That's the Wall of Pain. So when you don't let them get back on stage with Luigi's bAir, you're doing a WoP. It's like a wall they can't get past; except instead of an actuall wall, it's Luigi's feet.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Try not to bump a month and a half old thread.
I have to disagree. IMO a thread isn't dead until it's irrelevant. Would you have him start a new thread when there is another, more complete thread already available? Or would you have him just not bring up his question at all? I believe he did nothing wrong.

LuigiL, I have massive problems pulling off his dAir spike. I'm so used to using bAir whenever the enemy is behind me, that I don't practice it much. There are others here who have it down to a reliable move, but it's still not as reliable as the Meteor Smashes of other characters.

Top Bottom