• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Video Thread

StevenBeastMode

Smash Cadet
Lol, I mean like other video threads have all these match-ups, but then here there's some videos vs Ganon and your video. They're cool and helpful it's just... I thought there'd be more.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
It's cause there aren't many active P:M Luigi players. IIRC I'm the only one who actually posts results and videos of tournaments I attend.

QraQ

Smash Ace
There are a lot of pocket Luigis in P:M I'm noticing. He is my main of the Melee characters in PM.

otek

Smash Rookie
I got two different matches of myself that I'd like to get critique on. They are from a tournament in Germany this weekend, where I managed to place 5th out of 72 entrants.

The first set is against Yomi (Charizard) who is considered the best P:M player in Germany, I played Luigi the first two matches, so please don't look at the other matches ^^
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=1h03m30s

The second set is against Purple~H (ZSS) who is also a good player. Focus on the first match, the others are without Weegee.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/500065857?t=1h59m50s

thanks in advance, any help is appreciated ^_^

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
The videos are up on our youtube channel, it's KCMO Smash.

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Here is a weekly friendly stream that me and my buddies are doing every Wednesday. I don't always play Luigi on the streambut there is a good string of matches between 1:18:00 and 1:28:00 ish... There might even be some hidden gems in there if anyone wants to look for them. Also, since it is friendlies, I tend to d-tilt and sd more (johns). Anyways we will be doing it again tomorrow and I'll try to play as much Luigi as I can and also write down when I have a match to highlight later. We will stream from 10pm to whenever central time.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/legendoflux/b/521378558 this is the recent tournament I got 2nd in. Here are the games I play:
SR-71 (lucas) 1:22
T-22 (ganon and marth) 1:30 (I pull out snake as well)
Jones (falco and dedede) 1:48
Jones (dedede) 2:26
Bones(Mewtwo) 2:39

I have incorporated a lot of cyclone into my play style, doing the little shorthop at the end, and I think it is very succesful and long as you aren't obvious about it.
I would love critiques and comments in general. Thanks!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Ok, here's some things I noticed:
-You should only approach with cyclone from midrange or closer, doing it from far away is incredibly unsafe
-Luigi's fireballs are not useful for zoning, they're best used for edge-guarding or covering your approach/recovery, and in Melee they're good for Vudu-dashing, but I'm not sure if that's still in PM or not
-You roll into your opponent a lot, try to break yourself of that habit, as Luigi wavedashing should be your primary method of evasion and mobilization in general because Luigi's ground and lateral air speed are pretty unremarkable
-Learn to edge-cancel your missiles that's the most efficient way to charge your misfires
-Luigi can CG Lucas, Ganon, and D3 with dthrow and Falco with uthrow, so work on knowing what percents you can do it to
-I noticed you rarely jab, you should experiment with Luigi's jab, he has one of the best in the game imo, and you can cancel jab1 and jab2 into tilts, smashes, grabs, even up-b, so it's definitely something to utilize (generally jab1 follow-ups are the better option)

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
-Usually I wavedash jab then grab.
-Also a lot of my rolls are a) brawl habit or b) misinput wavedash.
-CG percents are needed yeah, I think we need to make a guide on here there isn't that much information for people who are looking to learn the character.
-I'm pretty sure vudu-dashing is still in the game. If it is I agree to learning how to implement.
-When you say edge cancel missiles do you mean sweet-spoting the ledge?

Thanks for all the input. Also I formally declare a money match the next tournament we are both in!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I tried it today and Vudu-dashing is still in which is awesome, and what I mean by edge-cancelling is placing your missile so you either slide off the edge or off of a platform before the animation ends so it cancels the end-lag. As for CG percents I'm pretty sure most of them go to around 50 or so, but I'm not entirely sure, we'll have to experiment.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
ok Either I'm no doing jump cancelling right or it is impossible. Me and Doctor Poison tried it the other day and good di still makes it seem impossible.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
It may not work on D3, but I know for a fact it works on Lucas and Ganon until like 50%.

Edit: Ok it seems I actually had it backwards, I just tested it and Ganon and Lucas can both escape with DI at any time, but D3 can't escape til around 80%, I guess I just assumed Luigi's CGs worked the same as Mario's.

Last edited:

TFO

Smash Cadet
@ Boomer3d Boomer3d
I saw noticed you would often roll away from your enemy when you could've punished, this may be safe but he got a break because of that. I also agree with deadjames especially in that you should work on your approaching options other than the cyclone. What works really well is a WD out of shield into a F-tilt which you could've used on multiple occasions. Another one is to bait an attack by WDing into your opponent with your shield and then grab them/shoryuken out of shield. Oh, and definitely work on powershielding. It's actually really easy once you get the hang of it. It took me about 15-30 minutes total of practice to get it down.

I know that I'm newer to smashboards, but I DO know what I'm talking about; I'll post some videos when I get the chance to to show everyone that I'm not a nincompoop.

TFO

Smash Cadet
This is an old set, needless to say I've improved quite a bit since this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmK2hw5luT8
You may have already worked on these things, but this is what I saw.
-You should work on wavelanding because you can really speed up your game and stay less vulnerable in the air.
-When underneath G&W you would do an U-air which is a good combo starter, but not nearly as safe as a cyclone where you can follow up with another attack/retreat to a different platorm.
-Many times, you would high jump and then miss a waveland back on the ground which looked like it was mainly because you're wavelanding parallel to the ground; if you waveland with the air-dodge angled just a little bit to the ground you'll only sacrifice a little bit of distance but make it much easier on yourself to get back down on the ground.
-Your ground tech skill is really good but what I noticed was that you would almost always tech to the right. Some players will pick up on that if you keep doing it, so mix up your tech directions.
other than that, great job!

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
You may have already worked on these things, but this is what I saw.
-You should work on wavelanding because you can really speed up your game and stay less vulnerable in the air.
-When underneath G&W you would do an U-air which is a good combo starter, but not nearly as safe as a cyclone where you can follow up with another attack/retreat to a different platorm.
-Many times, you would high jump and then miss a waveland back on the ground which looked like it was mainly because you're wavelanding parallel to the ground; if you waveland with the air-dodge angled just a little bit to the ground you'll only sacrifice a little bit of distance but make it much easier on yourself to get back down on the ground.
-Your ground tech skill is really good but what I noticed was that you would almost always tech to the right. Some players will pick up on that if you keep doing it, so mix up your tech directions.
other than that, great job!
I've improved on all of that, I mainly posted this for the sake of posting it. My tech and overall game plan has been improved since then. This was from tourney when I was still learning Luigi and he was a secondary to MK. Now I'm solo Luigi in tourneys.

MrHecticGamer

Smash Rookie
Would linking my stream for people to see my Luigi be a no no? Because I don't have any matches archived because haven't had anyone over to play on stream yet.

Top Bottom