• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi trouble

TheLake

Smash Master
Hi, i'm sort of new to the whole "play competitivly" thing and so im not all the great. So with that pitiful introduction said I need help with a luigi. Im decent at spacing but Im so intimidated to attack so I sheild WAY to much becasue of luigis amazing priority. When my buddy starts wavedashing around I charge him but he just fakes me out by shielding (so i attempt a grab) but then he just spot dodges. He spot dodges ALOT actually and I have no idea how to counter it. I play everyone but I main zelda (which is why I posted here). I can beat the kid from time to time but its those spot dodges he abuses that will throw off my day from time to time. How do you counter spot dodge abusers (wavedash into a spotdodge, spam spotdodges, shield to spotdodges, etc.) especially a luigi? Any advice would be most appreciated....Help me out here folks! lol :dizzy:

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
If you can double fair or double bair with Zelda, you should have no problem hitting him while he spot dodges.

It also seems the Luigi player is mind gaming you and messing with your head at that point. Just look closely for an opening and don't be too offensive with Zelda. Luigi may have some amazing priority, but it fails at range and that's where Zelda takes over.

Zone

Smash Champion
IF he spams it way too much. Choose long lasting moves like, Naryu's love - Neutral air to hit him even after he spot dodges, move can last long enough to hit him anyways. He'll catch on eventually though, and that's when you can change the game. I know what you mean by luigi's spot dodge, it's dangerous defense for zelda to fight against when it's fast like luigi's. Do more retreating B-air's on him to keep back a bit. Like jump away from luigi and C-stick toward him. and when he trys to come in after a kick. L-cancel into one of the long lasting moves I mentioned up above if you expect a spot dodge. You have range on him if you can keep your aerials spaced. Which is hard to do if your approachin since ur momentum is flown at them. Don't let him play with you with approaches. Keep moving by running away, or running back and forth to possibly confuse him on when ur going to do something as well as possible screw up his accuracy. IF your standing there waiting. Accuracy is the least of luigi's worrys vs you.

TheLake

Smash Master
Awsome! Thanks for the advice, I should be playing my buddy somtime soon and I'll let you know how it goes

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Awsome! Thanks for the advice, I should be playing my buddy somtime soon and I'll let you know how it goes
Heeeey TheLake!!! :D

My best advice would be, throw out random jabs with the neutral A or F-smash because that will disrupt his wavedash to tilt or wavedash to smash.

I think once you play against Luigi enough you'll get used to the rhythm of his attacks and you'll be able to dodge him more. Same rule with all my other match ups, exercise good spacing and let the opponent come to you first.

Oh yeah, and F-Smash punishes people that spam spotdodge.

Good luck. =w=

TheLake

Smash Master
Darkmusician advice?! Best early christmas gift ever! Oh and how you doin? ;)

Well turns out all this advice was a grand success! Luigi and zelda make for some fun little matchups now . Wish i had videos though...heh

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Darkmusician advice?! Best early christmas gift ever! Oh and how you doin? ;)

Well turns out all this advice was a grand success! Luigi and zelda make for some fun little matchups now . Wish i had videos though...heh
I'm doing just dandy! :D New montages up and whatnot.

Wipe Your Feet!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8IW8KMGsxMk

I'm glad my advice worked out well for you! Anytime man anytime! =w=

Keep up the good work! v^_^

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Ah, it's been a while since I've been in the Zelda boards. Um... what Zone said about Luv. It's great for punishing obsessive spot dodgers. Also neutral air. If you can hit him with it, you'll likely be able to combo right into a lightning kick at higher percents or a utilt or usmash at lower percents, eventually to be finished with a lightning kick.

S2

Smash Lord
IF he spams it way too much. Choose long lasting moves like, Naryu's love - Neutral air to hit him even after he spot dodges, move can last long enough to hit him anyways. He'll catch on eventually though, and that's when you can change the game. I know what you mean by luigi's spot dodge, it's dangerous defense for zelda to fight against when it's fast like luigi's. Do more retreating B-air's on him to keep back a bit. Like jump away from luigi and C-stick toward him. and when he trys to come in after a kick. L-cancel into one of the long lasting moves I mentioned up above if you expect a spot dodge. You have range on him if you can keep your aerials spaced. Which is hard to do if your approachin since ur momentum is flown at them. Don't let him play with you with approaches. Keep moving by running away, or running back and forth to possibly confuse him on when ur going to do something as well as possible screw up his accuracy. IF your standing there waiting. Accuracy is the least of luigi's worrys vs you.
Zone has hit the nail on the head.

Zelda's F-smash lasts a long time and it doesn't have that much lag at the end as you'd think there would be.

Keep in mind that spotdodging can be punished just like any tactic. With good mind games you can get around him.

Every character has open frames in between spot dodges (some characters dodge quicker than others).

Basically, if he's baiting you in and then spot dodging, assume he's going to do it. If he shields and you run in like your going to throw, don't do the throw. Wait for him to spotdodge and then hit him as he comes out of it.

With Luigi though, watch out for his WDing.

D

Deleted member

Luigi is indeed a difficult match for Zelda, for a lot of different reasons. Your best bet is usually to bait his jump with your second jump and to kick him out of his attacks. Playing Blue also helps.

I can't help but notice that you're from PA. I'm in Shippensburg for college, and I am the best Zelda in the US (for the time being), so I would like to play your friend. All guests at my college are taken care of pretty well, if you'd consider dropping me a visit.

TheLake

Smash Master
Whoa the legendary zelda himself! Actually mow my buds and I got to play you at tekko and you murdered the hell out of us (we were the brave three that MM near the end of the 2nd day) so I got quite an idea how wicked you are lol (wish i got to see your zelda though). We are TONS better now though so id like to take you up on your offer with you challenging my friend and all. Not sure how im gonna get him down there but i think you should definatly at least go to tekko again this year. Word is Thecape is going so i figured it would be pretty neat to have two pros this time around for us butler fellas to get some smashing with. But like I said i'll try to see if we can set up somthing earlier.

Oh and i ALWAYS go blue when it comes to zelda so no worrys there : D and Id love to ditto the worlds best zelda in a same color MM match lol

Top Bottom