• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Stage Pick Discussion

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
What sort of stages are you guys banning on a regular basis? Which ones are you wanting to take your opponent to? I know it varies depending on the character (for instance, I am almost always banning halberd against Diddy) so include information on your stage striking and counter pick strategies against certain characters.

Personally, I like taking Luigi to Battefield or Smashville, though some characters do really well with the platforms, I think we have more options having platforms than without (like on FD).

Counterpicking, I typically choose Delfino or Castle Siege as the transformations tend to throw opponents off their game plan.

busken

Smash Ace
All depends on the matchup. In my favor I like to go to low ceilings since Luigi gets most his kills of the top via up b, nair, cyclone.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield and Town&City are my favourite for starter stages. Luigi's strength on battlefield has been well documented, but Town&City has been really good, too. I find with his high jumps he can reach some of the higher platforms much easier than a lot of other characters and can really apply huge pressure with them.

I actually like halberd as a counterpick because of the low ceilings and sharking with his great aerial game. I also really like Congo Jungle because I find it much easier to edge guard, but against heavier characters I don't like to go there because of the high ceilings.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yea I'm not afraid to take diddy to halberd. Diddy can die probably as early as 80-90% from dthrow>cyclone and you should be able to avoid dthrow>uair at higher percents if you DI correctly.

For some reason I've found myself going to Duck Hunt more than I thought I would.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I totally agree with your sentiment about Dunk Hunt. I like that stage for some reason. I should pick it more often.

What's the stage Luigi has the most difficulty with?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Never take FD unless the character your versing has no projectile or a weaker projectile than Luigi. Like Luigi vs Falco, Link, Villager, etc on FD is bad news.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Been playing in some tournaments lately and I've been forced to think about stage selection.

Luigi can perform well on any stage so he pretty much has to pick stage based on who he's fighting. Against projectile characters I would avoid FD, Duck Hunt, Smashville (one platform isn't enough), and Lylat(linear platforms). I would pretty much always avoid Lylat unless you know you're better on that stage than someone else. A few times I've dropped grabs because of the tilting.

If you're going against anyone else, I would go with Halberd, Delfino, or T&C because of lower ceilings. Most of Luigi's kill moves kill off the top. Against characters with no projectile or a non-spammable projectile you could go FD or a linear stage and force them to your pace with Fireball

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Been playing in some tournaments lately and I've been forced to think about stage selection.

Luigi can perform well on any stage so he pretty much has to pick stage based on who he's fighting. Against projectile characters I would avoid FD, Duck Hunt, Smashville (one platform isn't enough), and Lylat(linear platforms). I would pretty much always avoid Lylat unless you know you're better on that stage than someone else. A few times I've dropped grabs because of the tilting.

If you're going against anyone else, I would go with Halberd, Delfino, or T&C because of lower ceilings. Most of Luigi's kill moves kill off the top. Against characters with no projectile or a non-spammable projectile you could go FD or a linear stage and force them to your pace with Fireball
I personally have sv and town&city switched in your statement. T&C is pretty big and gives someone room to camp you/run away while sv is a bit smaller than brawl's version so it keeps you somewhat close to the other person.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I enjoy Battlefield, Town and City, Smashville, and Lylat. I love Halberd but it's my "unlucky" stage. I always either do extremely well or extremely terrible there haha. However, I love killing with up b off of the low ceiling.

I ban dunk hunt (because I just dont like duck hunt) and Delfino a lot.

Top Bottom